Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The Official Thread: Which Car(s) to Get?

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Diesel renault clio 1.5 are the best mpg

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My work colleagues were saying the Toyota Corolla might have too many miles… it’s at 168K.

Gonna keep my options open and research hard for the car. I’d like to be driving it before I leave for my vacation(which is on March 23.)
If the owner is your age, these are probably harder miles than a senior would put on it.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That is too much. I always assume 200K is about the reasonable service life of a vehicle. This car only has 30K life left, or about 1-2 years. Not good. Try to get under 100K.
I’ll keep looking into those other options I have as well.

Curious, would you say the same regarding Hondas?

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That is too much. I always assume 200K is about the reasonable service life of a vehicle. This car only has 30K life left, or about 1-2 years. Not good. Try to get under 100K.
The bigger factor is age, with rubber/plastic/electronics wearing out due to exposure. Hondas and Toyotas can last well over 200K, but yes 168 is high.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Curious, would you say the same regarding Hondas?
Make doesn’t matter that much for modern cars. 168K is a lot of use to be buying a car. It’s like wifing up a 37 year old single mother. You could do it.. but why?

Hondas and Toyotas can last well over 200K, but yes 168 is high.
They can but why make the investment?

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Make doesn’t matter that much for modern cars. 168K is a lot of use to be buying a car. It’s like wifing up a 37 year old single mother. You could do it.. but why?

Good analogy.

I’ll look into the other options

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Lol, this is why you test drive. Kinda like with women.

This car may have had a wild youth though, you know about those band campers.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
My work colleagues were saying the Toyota Corolla might have too many miles… it’s at 168K.

Gonna keep my options open and research hard for the car. I’d like to be driving it before I leave for my vacation(which is on March 23.)
Yeah that is kind of a lot...

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good analogy.

I’ll look into the other options

I'm in the market for a car and am going to get an Impala

They're durable cars that don't have the Toyota/Honda reputation so for the price of that Toyota you could probably get one close to 100K miles, OP.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Decided not to get the Corolla. Will get one under 100K miles as suggested.

The hunt continues…

Extending my goal to get a car to May 5.

Also don’t want to wreck my corporate emergency fund to get it. Will need to take out a loan with the credit union or my bank. I already learned the process for that this weekend.

Last edited:

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Last edited:

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing that is really frigging annoying, is that my bank is denying my request for a $5000 loan even though I make a decent amount of money a year(68K) and I have a credit score of 721. The main reason they cite is that I haven’t had credit for very long.

My cousin told me that I’m not going about this right. He says I need to go in person, tell them how much I make, and be willing to put down some money. Also, have proof of income and the bill of sale for the car that I want already. Then, just pay the bank back over time.

Im going to do this at my own bank and a couple credit unions. If they continue to deny my requests, I’ll just use my corporate discount to get a rental every weekend so I can go out and socialize/game. Then, just stack my cash until I can afford a car outright. Either way, I will be fine.

Ideally, I can do this without touching my corporate emergency fund cause otherwise I’ll have to start over.

I’ll update the thread when those next steps occur.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing that is really frigging annoying, is that my bank is denying my request for a $5000 loan even though I make a decent amount of money a year(68K) and I have a credit score of 721. The main reason they cite is that I haven’t had credit for very long.

My cousin told me that I’m not going about this right. He says I need to go in person, tell them how much I make, and be willing to put down some money. Also, have proof of income and the bill of sale for the car that I want already. Then, just pay the bank back over time.

Im going to do this at my own bank and a couple credit unions. If they continue to deny my requests, I’ll just use my corporate discount to get a rental every weekend so I can go out and socialize/game. Then, just stack my cash until I can afford a car outright. Either way, I will be fine.

Ideally, I can do this without touching my corporate emergency fund cause otherwise I’ll have to start over.

I’ll update the thread when those next steps occur.
Lol they might be worried you will pay the loan off early and they won't make much money off of you. You don't have a long history of paying interest...

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol they might be worried you will pay the loan off early and they won't make much money off of you. You don't have a long history of paying interest...
Yeah man, once my savings are more set I’m attacking debt like a man possessed

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, it’s official. They won’t approve my loan request because my credit is just too new.

So, I’m just going to cut spending and save up for a car on my own. I’m still good because I have a rental every weekend(thanks company discount.)

Curious though, since this is the new strategy: what’s higher priority, getting a car of my own, or maintaining my corporate emergency fund(in case I were to ever be fired?)

Not sure if I should use the savings I have for corporate emergencies on a car, and then just build that up. Or not touch them at all and accept that it’ll take longer to get my car.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Now that I think about this logically, I’d say the car is priority numero uno without COMPLETELY emptying the emergency fund(so I wouldn’t be absolutely screwed and unable to pay rent if I ever got fired.) Because if I did, I’d need to get another job fast, and I can’t even get there without a car lol.

Luckily, the city where I live has a very low living cost which lets my emergency fund go farther.

Last edited:

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, it’s official. They won’t approve my loan request because my credit is just too new.

So, I’m just going to cut spending and save up for a car on my own. I’m still good because I have a rental every weekend(thanks company discount.)

Curious though, since this is the new strategy: what’s higher priority, getting a car of my own, or maintaining my corporate emergency fund(in case I were to ever be fired?)

Not sure if I should use the savings I have for corporate emergencies on a car, and then just build that up. Or not touch them at all and accept that it’ll take longer to get my car.
This is off topic, but let's think about the banking system for a second. Assuming your credit score is as high as you say, you are being penalized for simply not having paid sufficient interest into the system. Yes, auto loans are risky with the recent spate of repossessions, but a loan is a loan is a loan and you've got a +700 credit score. It sounds like this bank won't even give you a higher interest loan.

You need to pay years of interest just for the "privilege" of paying additional years of interest. Ask yourself this, if you had a 600 credit score with 20 years of credit history, would you have this loan right now?