Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I've Fu***d up. ONEitis, Monogamy as goal, the works...

Y180SX

Reaction score
So I've started reading, or rather listening to, The Rational Male. Man, has it flipped my world upside-down. I consider myself a pretty logical guy, so I was and am able to open my mind to the ideas that are being set forth in the book and seeing how many things that I have been wrong about for so long.

I was raised in a Christian (though, im no longer religious) home with the typical "save yourself for marriage" and a STRONG dose of ONEitis and monogamy should be the goal of every relationship I enter.

Well, long story short, I'm now 26, married with a 1 year old. I've been married for two years and the last year or so has been rather sh*tty. I didn't understand what I was doing wrong. Or that it was even my fault. I've reduced myself to a boring schmuck in the atempt to be the perfect husband. I'm in her frame and thought I was better for it. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

My marriage is suffering and my wife is no longer satisfied with our relationship and is looking for almost any way out. Saying she wants to move back home with her parents but stay married and such. I've been desperately holding onto this relationship for the past year. If it wasn't for my daughter, I would have been gone months ago. I can picture my life without my wife, but I absolutely cannot picture it without my daughter.

My question is, is it possible to fix my marriage? I know I have many personal changes to make and I'm already working on them. But I entered this marriage all wrong. I thought I was doing it right. Getting married because of love and not because we had a kid together. We waited a little while before having a child. I know there are ways to overtly change someone into a more suitable mate, but am I past that? If not, where do I go from here?

Thank you in advance.

A

AJ84

So I've started reading, or rather listening to, The Rational Male. Man, has it flipped my world upside-down. I consider myself a pretty logical guy, so I was and am able to open my mind to the ideas that are being set forth in the book and seeing how many things that I have been wrong about for so long.

I was raised in a Christian (though, im no longer religious) home with the typical "save yourself for marriage" and a STRONG dose of ONEitis and monogamy should be the goal of every relationship I enter.

Well, long story short, I'm now 26, married with a 1 year old. I've been married for two years and the last year or so has been rather sh*tty. I didn't understand what I was doing wrong. Or that it was even my fault. I've reduced myself to a boring schmuck in the atempt to be the perfect husband. I'm in her frame and thought I was better for it. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

My marriage is suffering and my wife is no longer satisfied with our relationship and is looking for almost any way out. Saying she wants to move back home with her parents but stay married and such. I've been desperately holding onto this relationship for the past year. If it wasn't for my daughter, I would have been gone months ago. I can picture my life without my wife, but I absolutely cannot picture it without my daughter.

My question is, is it possible to fix my marriage? I know I have many personal changes to make and I'm already working on them. But I entered this marriage all wrong. I thought I was doing it right. Getting married because of love and not because we had a kid together. We waited a little while before having a child. I know there are ways to overtly change someone into a more suitable mate, but am I past that? If not, where do I go from here?

Thank you in advance.
You stated that if it wasn't for your daughter you would of been gone months ago. You also stated that you can picture your life without your wife. You also said your wife wants to move out but stay married.

The question should be, do you want to fix your marriage? Does she? Have an honest conversation with your wife about what would need to change for both of you to be happier in the marriage. Sort out what can be realistically changed, what can't be changed, and for what can't be changed determined if those things warrant ending the marriage.

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, please understand that most guys on this board aren't married. I am married, however please don't take this as me saying that simply because I am married that my advice is more valuable that other members here. That isn't the case at all. I wanted to at least make you aware of this upfront with regard to your situation.

Your marriage sounds like it is nearly over. I assume you both got married young. I've heard advice given from friends of mine who come from the "old country" of eastern Europe where women still know their place in my opinion and they say the same thing: marry young. Over there, this is good advice. Here in the U.S., it isn't and the reason why is because of our culture of bombarding people with sex sex sex in damn near everything from tv, to movies, to songs, now social media. If you got married young here in the U.S., committing yourself to one person, both of you (but almost always the woman at the very least) will wonder what they've missed out on and want to ride that carousel like everyone else. And believe me, the call of the carousel to a woman in her 20s is very powerful.

You are living in her frame. You need to define what the frame is in your married household, and LEAD since you are husband. You need to demonstrate that you are a proper MAN and HUSBAND to this woman to keep her interest and make her realize that maybe she's got a better deal with your instead of hopping on the carousel. You do this by demonstrating your value in various ways.

1. You are the provider of this family. Do you have a decent job which allows your family to live in some level of comfort? No? You better get your a$$ in gear and make it happen.

2. Are you setting a course of where the family is going? Have you discussed pre-school for your kid? How about home improvement projects? Live in a $hitty place? Talked about getting a better one? Actually made plans to do it? Have you actually done home improvement projects yourself without resorting to calling someone else?

3. Do you make time to be with your wife, just to two of you?

4. Do you run the family's finances? If not, why not?

5. Do you keep yourself in shape? If you're overweight, why would you expect her to stay in shape? You have to keep yourself looking good and try to improve at least a little if you can.

6. Are there daily/weekly tasks that YOU handle around your household?

7. Do you regularly sit on your a$$ at home after work and veg out in front of the tv or computer? It's ok to watch tv or play video games sometimes, but if it becomes a regular thing every single day, you have a problem.

8. Are you boning your wife regularly? Regularly could mean anything, hell even once a year is "regular". But for the sake of this question, I'd say at least once a week.

9. Are you exploring new ways to please your wife sexually? For example a lot of guys don't like going down on women. You should try it and get better at it.

10. Are you commanding your wife? Command is certainly a harsh word when talking about relationships, but I used it for a reason. If your relationship with your woman is in good shape, I only need to tell my wife once "X is going to happen", and it does. I do not need to explain my reasoning, I don't get into some long drawn out discussion about it, it simply happens and she helps make it happen. You are the captain of this ship, your wife is the XO. Does she understand how this works? Do you?

Notice all of the above questions are targeted at you? Your wife obviously isn't here for me to ask questions of her, so it's all on you. But aside from that these are legitimate things that need to be addressed. There are others, but these are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head.

For starters, she better damn well NOT be moving back with her parents. A woman who respects her husband doesn't do sh!t like that. That is your child to and they both better be under the roof that you are providing.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As the old lady of the forum I will add some perspective once OP has a chance to answer Saul's questions. Each of these questions is serious and it is important that you think about and answer each as honestly as you can. You must take a very hard look at yourself.

You also can expect to have some stress since y'all have a very young child. Children are an incredible stressor even on the best marriages.

But what I sense from your original post is that you are not in the leadership role in the relationship and as a result she is losing respect for you as a man. I was married for 15 years through 3 children. Loss of respect for my ex husband was what eventually undid the marriage.

The good news is that you have realized there is a problem and you have further realized the problem starts with you. You cannot change her behavior directly but by improving your own behavior you can re-emerge (or emerge now as the case may be) as the man you are capable of being. In so doing you will see whether or not the marriage is going to last. Right now there is still a chance to correct your course in my view.

As you re-sculpt yourself understand she is going to be uncomfortable with the changes at first. So things will get worse before they get better. You will have to weather those storms (which arise out of her lack of respect and her lack of trust in your ability to lead) and keep moving in the correct direction regardless.

teebear

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've seen tons of good advice and success stories posted in the "Married Red Pill" sub on Reddit. Great place to start.

dustmuffin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Thank you in advance.
Go over to the married redpill reddit. They have a sidebar read it. Those guys are in the same situation as you. You can get good advice from them

Prime_Beef

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, married redfit good to start, be aware if and when she moves out she's going to hit the c*ck carousel.

Y180SX

Reaction score
OP, please understand that most guys on this board aren't married. I am married, however please don't take this as me saying that simply because I am married that my advice is more valuable that other members here. That isn't the case at all. I wanted to at least make you aware of this upfront with regard to your situation.

Your marriage sounds like it is nearly over. I assume you both got married young. I've heard advice given from friends of mine who come from the "old country" of eastern Europe where women still know their place in my opinion and they say the same thing: marry young. Over there, this is good advice. Here in the U.S., it isn't and the reason why is because of our culture of bombarding people with sex sex sex in damn near everything from tv, to movies, to songs, now social media. If you got married young here in the U.S., committing yourself to one person, both of you (but almost always the woman at the very least) will wonder what they've missed out on and want to ride that carousel like everyone else. And believe me, the call of the carousel to a woman in her 20s is very powerful.

You are living in her frame. You need to define what the frame is in your married household, and LEAD since you are husband. You need to demonstrate that you are a proper MAN and HUSBAND to this woman to keep her interest and make her realize that maybe she's got a better deal with your instead of hopping on the carousel. You do this by demonstrating your value in various ways.

1. You are the provider of this family. Do you have a decent job which allows your family to live in some level of comfort? No? You better get your a$$ in gear and make it happen.

2. Are you setting a course of where the family is going? Have you discussed pre-school for your kid? How about home improvement projects? Live in a $hitty place? Talked about getting a better one? Actually made plans to do it? Have you actually done home improvement projects yourself without resorting to calling someone else?

3. Do you make time to be with your wife, just to two of you?

4. Do you run the family's finances? If not, why not?

5. Do you keep yourself in shape? If you're overweight, why would you expect her to stay in shape? You have to keep yourself looking good and try to improve at least a little if you can.

6. Are there daily/weekly tasks that YOU handle around your household?

7. Do you regularly sit on your a$$ at home after work and veg out in front of the tv or computer? It's ok to watch tv or play video games sometimes, but if it becomes a regular thing every single day, you have a problem.

8. Are you boning your wife regularly? Regularly could mean anything, hell even once a year is "regular". But for the sake of this question, I'd say at least once a week.

9. Are you exploring new ways to please your wife sexually? For example a lot of guys don't like going down on women. You should try it and get better at it.

10. Are you commanding your wife? Command is certainly a harsh word when talking about relationships, but I used it for a reason. If your relationship with your woman is in good shape, I only need to tell my wife once "X is going to happen", and it does. I do not need to explain my reasoning, I don't get into some long drawn out discussion about it, it simply happens and she helps make it happen. You are the captain of this ship, your wife is the XO. Does she understand how this works? Do you?

Notice all of the above questions are targeted at you? Your wife obviously isn't here for me to ask questions of her, so it's all on you. But aside from that these are legitimate things that need to be addressed. There are others, but these are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head.

For starters, she better damn well NOT be moving back with her parents. A woman who respects her husband doesn't do sh!t like that. That is your child to and they both better be under the roof that you are providing.

Thank you for the input.

Maybe I should have made a more informative post into our life for better understanding.

I was 24 and she was 23 when we got married. She is Japanese and I am American. The language barrier was a big issue in our relationship. However, we talked about that and have both put forth an effort to learn English/Japanese. We are both starting language classes next month. Japanese culture is littered with distrust for men. And I would say 9 out of 10 men are unfaithful. Many issues have come from that. We sat down and talked about how I have no desire to destroy my marriage and lose my child. Also, I still do love her very much and my daughter is not the sole reason I want to be with her. But she is the reason I've stayed with her through the bs fights.

Now to the questions.

1. I am in the military so my pay is decent. Healthcare and such is free. I rarely have to say we cannot do something due to finances.

2. I am in government housing and don't have a choice to live anywhere else. It sucks to live on base, but I cannot complain about the home itself. It's the newest style on base and is actually quite nice for over seas base housing. As far as home improvement, we are slightly limited by it being government housing, but we are in the process of painting some furniture for my daughter's room as well as the walls of her room. I also plan to start making a coffee table as soon as the daughter's room is finished.

3. Yes and no. I recently moved from Okinawa to Misawa, Japan. My wife is from Okinawa, which is a small island about 800km South of mainland Japan. Misawa is just south of Hokkaido (northern most part of Japan). When we lived in okinawa, it was easy to have a date night with just the two of us. My mother in law had no problem watching her when ever. However, we do not have anyone to watch our daughter here in Misawa, so we haven't been able to spend time alone outside of the house.

4. I run 100% of the finances. She has no bills.

5. Fitness is something I have been slacking on. The military keeps me in okay shape, but not stellar. My wife and I have recently changed our diet and started a workout routine.

6. I'm usually the one who takes out the trash, mows the lawn and washes the cars. She says I do the laundry and dishes wrong and that is a woman's job anyway. So I don't make much effort to accomplish those unless I notice a need for my help. Like when she is busy with the baby or at the store, etc. I also offer to help every chance I get.

7. I recognized a month or so ago that I have a problem with this and have been working to stay away from my phone and Xbox more. Still a work in progress.

8 & 9. Our sexual life is pretty good. We have sex 3-6 times per week with the exception of BJ week. I am very open to exploring sexually and my goal is to please her as much as possible. She is not so open to sexual exploration (no anal lol). But I think this part of our marriage is fine.

10. This is a hard one. I don't think I have the level of command that I should and this comes into my misunderstand of how to keep my wife happy, marriage and monogamy in general due to my up bringing. Now that I am aware of the way things are SUPPOSED to be, I can focus on that and help to strengthen my leadership role in the relationship. This is not to say, I didn't know I was supposed to be the leader of the house hold. It's more to say, I didn't fully understand what that meant. And I'm still learning.

I understand that if I improve myself, she will subconsciously change herself or leave completely. Anyway, i good start is to fix myself and help her along the way.

Y180SX

Reaction score
You stated that if it wasn't for your daughter you would of been gone months ago. You also stated that you can picture your life without your wife. You also said your wife wants to move out but stay married.

The question should be, do you want to fix your marriage? Does she? Have an honest conversation with your wife about what would need to change for both of you to be happier in the marriage. Sort out what can be realistically changed, what can't be changed, and for what can't be changed determined if those things warrant ending the marriage.

Yes, we have sat down, set our emotions aside and looked at what we really see as the issues in our marriage.

What we found:

Language Barrier - signing up for Japanese/English classes next month

How much we (mainly me) are on our phones - no phones at dinner or when we are watching TV together, doing things around the house together, etc. After a week of doing this, it's pretty easy not to be on the phone when we are together.

Lack of friends/family where we now live - I have suggested she get a job or volunteer somewhere on a regular basis. She doesn't like that idea much and idk what to do.

There may be other things that we didn't dig out, but those are the things we are focusing on now.

Y180SX

Reaction score
As the old lady of the forum I will add some perspective once OP has a chance to answer Saul's questions. Each of these questions is serious and it is important that you think about and answer each as honestly as you can. You must take a very hard look at yourself.

You also can expect to have some stress since y'all have a very young child. Children are an incredible stressor even on the best marriages.

But what I sense from your original post is that you are not in the leadership role in the relationship and as a result she is losing respect for you as a man. I was married for 15 years through 3 children. Loss of respect for my ex husband was what eventually undid the marriage.

The good news is that you have realized there is a problem and you have further realized the problem starts with you. You cannot change her behavior directly but by improving your own behavior you can re-emerge (or emerge now as the case may be) as the man you are capable of being. In so doing you will see whether or not the marriage is going to last. Right now there is still a chance to correct your course in my view.

As you re-sculpt yourself understand she is going to be uncomfortable with the changes at first. So things will get worse before they get better. You will have to weather those storms (which arise out of her lack of respect and her lack of trust in your ability to lead) and keep moving in the correct direction regardless.

I belive it can be saved as well. I have really stepped back and looked at my life as if it were someone else's and asked myself, "what advice would I give them?" That's when I quickly realized I need to get a hold on this before it's too late.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your marriage seems in pretty good shape to be honest.

I went about a year in mine with no sechs.

You're in the military so your definition of "good shape" is schewed. You are probably in better shape than 90% of men.

3-6 times a week AND ******* week? A lot of women don't do jack shyt in that week.

It seems all pretty good and I am not sure why these problems manifest.

I think the fact she is living on base with probably a load of people she doesn't know is an issue.

My GF is viet and living here in the west. I am scared of what might happen if we have a family and down the line this happens.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I belive it can be saved as well. I have really stepped back and looked at my life as if it were someone else's and asked myself, "what advice would I give them?" That's when I quickly realized I need to get a hold on this before it's too late.
Your marriage in my opinion is suffering because of isolation.

Your wife seems from what you have shared to feel isolated from her family and her cultural background in your current situation combined with the fact that y'all have a young daughter who requires constant care & attention.

This would seem to explain her desire to go back with her parents. Her parents environment is familiar & comfortable to her. Base life where she feels cut off from everything she knows is very unfamiliar and uncomfortable...and with the language barrier as well as a baby things are not easy for her, which translates into not easy for y'all as a couple.

Are these the sorts of things y'all are fighting about? If not what are the topics of conflict?

Whatever the issues are you have to manage & lead through them. I would suggest without knowing more that you ask your wife to arrange a sitter once a week so the two of you can go out together. It's very important that you come first in the family. If you come first (if her priority is to be your wife first and a mother second) then your daughter has opportunity to grow up seeing what a good marital relationship is. The baby does not come first. You do. The marriage relationship comes first. The parental relationship comes second.

So date night is really important.

The other thing which is important is that your wife have a support group, a friend group of other ladies she can enjoy company of. My guess is this is another source of isolation since moving on base. Is that true?

You will need to lead gently in this way to encourage her to make friends, and given the language barrier and the cultural differences this may be very outside her comfort zone.

A good leadership stance to take might be:

"I love you and I love our family. It is important to me that...."

...you arrange a babysitter so we can go out as husband and wife...

...you meet some of the ladies who are other wives and get involved in base life...

...whatever else

You get my drift. My ex husband's father was USAF and they lived on base in Europe when my ex was a boy. My mother in law always talks about how important those female friendships are, especially when they would get orders to go somewhere new where she knew nobody.

As to the cultural differences it is very important that y'all turn toward one another for support even given the difficulties you face. If either of you gets in the habit of turning away from the marriage to another source of support for your personal issues, that actually serves to erode the bond between you.

She is still isolated and needs some female friends, but y'all need to rely on each other...not her running so much to her family for support.

The language classes are a big step in the right direction for you both. Open & honest communication is key to navigating this successfully.

Last edited:

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
No marriage crew ftw.

Y180SX

Reaction score
Your marriage seems in pretty good shape to be honest.

I went about a year in mine with no sechs.

You're in the military so your definition of "good shape" is schewed. You are probably in better shape than 90% of men.

3-6 times a week AND ******* week? A lot of women don't do jack shyt in that week.

It seems all pretty good and I am not sure why these problems manifest.

I think the fact she is living on base with probably a load of people she doesn't know is an issue.

My GF is viet and living here in the west. I am scared of what might happen if we have a family and down the line this happens.

Well, she has self esteem issues. It was a red flag before we got married, but she seemed to be overcoming it. And to a point, she has. But it's still there and living on base, having no friends and only knowing limited English does not help. Hench why I want her to get a job off base. I explained to her that it has nothing to do with money, however that is a plus. She's worried about our daughter, and frankly, I am as well. But she will be fine and if we don't save this marriage, she will be worse off. My wife has a high school education so not a lot of options if she becomes a single mother. However, I think I have a decent chance of getting custody from past text messages and such. But that's not what I wanna talk about here.

As far as you and your girl, start building a proper marriage now, and I think you'll be just fine where ever you go. It may be rough at first but a move is stressful on any relationship.

Y180SX

Reaction score
Your marriage in my opinion is suffering because of isolation.

Your wife seems from what you have shared to feel isolated from her family and her cultural background in your current situation combined with the fact that y'all have a young daughter who requires constant care & attention.

This would seem to explain her desire to go back with her parents. Her parents environment is familiar & comfortable to her. Base life where she feels cut off from everything she knows is very unfamiliar and uncomfortable...and with the language barrier as well as a baby things are not easy for her, which translates into not easy for y'all as a couple.

Are these the sorts of things y'all are fighting about? If not what are the topics of conflict?

Whatever the issues are you have to manage & lead through them. I would suggest without knowing more that you ask your wife to arrange a sitter once a week so the two of you can go out together. It's very important that you come first in the family. If you come first (if her priority is to be your wife first and a mother second) then your daughter has opportunity to grow up seeing what a good marital relationship is. The baby does not come first. You do. The marriage relationship comes first. The parental relationship comes second.

So date night is really important.

The other thing which is important is that your wife have a support group, a friend group of other ladies she can enjoy company of. My guess is this is another source of isolation since moving on base. Is that true?

You will need to lead gently in this way to encourage her to make friends, and given the language barrier and the cultural differences this may be very outside her comfort zone.

A good leadership stance to take might be:

"I love you and I love our family. It is important to me that...."

...you arrange a babysitter so we can go out as husband and wife...

...you meet some of the ladies who are other wives and get involved in base life...

...whatever else

You get my drift. My ex husband's father was USAF and they lived on base in Europe when my ex was a boy. My mother in law always talks about how important those female friendships are, especially when they would get orders to go somewhere new where she knew nobody.

As to the cultural differences it is very important that y'all turn toward one another for support even given the difficulties you face. If either of you gets in the habit of turning away from the marriage to another source of support for your personal issues, that actually serves to erode the bond between you.

She is still isolated and needs some female friends, but y'all need to rely on each other...not her running so much to her family for support.

The language classes are a big step in the right direction for you both. Open & honest communication is key to navigating this successfully.

Isolation is definitely one of the main topics we argue about. And I'm doing as much as I can to ease her pain in that area.

That is exactly why I'm wanting her to get a job or something off base. It's still Japan so it would be the difference of moving from Hawaii to southern Missouri would be my best example. We have a neighbor lady that has invited her to go on walks and come to her house. I've encouraged her to do so but she says she is shy and trying to speak English to someone who knows zero Japanese is too hard.

Anyway, topics of conflict are isolation, boredom, and her worrying about infidelity. And I can assure you, that infidelity should not be a worry for her.

I absolutely agree that we should get a sitter. I thought of that already but forgot. Not a good excuse but I'm not gonna BS on here. I also agree that the marriage comes first. I read about that a year or so ago and we talked about it and she agrees. However, I think that didn't stick as a priority. Another thing to focus on.

I think maybe I need to take a better approach to getting her into support groups and such. She doesn't really wanna have a job because she wants to be with my daughter during the day. I have suggested a job that is only a few days per week or only a few hours per day. I need to do some leg work on this area as well. I need to find options for her other than a job and our neighbors.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Y180SX, I was raised just like you were, with marriage being the 'goal'. That's the problem in my mind. I would encourage you to NOT blame Christianity, those principles are not the problem. Being a virgin until marriage isn't really the problem. The problem, yet again, is putting the woman on a pedestal and culture interjecting feminist imperatives into young men's minds. Unfortunately, in modern brainwashed Christianity/pop culture (NOT real Christianity), no one will touch this. It's anti-PC. You are the leader, not her. If you let her lead, and do everything possible to please her in exchange for leading, she will resent you for it, no matter what she says to you. Women speak with actions not words.

Read more of Rollo's stuff, it's golden. You need to make it fun for her to be around you. Have a life - don't wait for her to bring you into hers. Keep in mind, some of this is going to get worse before it gets better - you are going to get a ton of sh*t tests and if you pass those, she'll begin getting back in line.

Y180SX

Reaction score
Y180SX, I was raised just like you were, with marriage being the 'goal'. That's the problem in my mind. I would encourage you to NOT blame Christianity, those principles are not the problem. Being a virgin until marriage isn't really the problem. The problem, yet again, is putting the woman on a pedestal and culture interjecting feminist imperatives into young men's minds. Unfortunately, in modern brainwashed Christianity/pop culture (NOT real Christianity), no one will touch this. It's anti-PC. You are the leader, not her. If you let her lead, and do everything possible to please her in exchange for leading, she will resent you for it, no matter what she says to you. Women speak with actions not words.

Read more of Rollo's stuff, it's golden. You need to make it fun for her to be around you. Have a life - don't wait for her to bring you into hers. Keep in mind, some of this is going to get worse before it gets better - you are going to get a ton of sh*t tests and if you pass those, she'll begin getting back in line.
I'm not blaming Christianity or religion in general. It was more just an easy way to explain my up bringing. I definitely didn't save myself for marriage either. The thing that stuck was marriage as goal. My dad was and is the leader of our home. I just missed that in trying to make my wife happy. Not to say she has 100% leadership role but she has too much of it. I've got to break that mold and take hold of that leadership role. I definitely realize that the change starts with me.