Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Football, a beta male hobby or a legit interest for men?

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In honor of this topic, I have decided to pull for Brady to win it all just to pvss everyone off. Otherwise, I would be rooting for the current rebuilding Steelers.
I expect the Cowboys to win. I probably need to mention the Dallas Cowboys and sports culture in the Dallas thread.

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah....you could be doing more productive things in your life.

Here in uk men work 60 hours a week. Football is what they chat about during the week. We all have our teams we support. It's a tribal thing. Its also a curiosity thing. Its like when the romans used to watch the gladiators.

But yeah i try not to watch nearly as much as i used to It's a very bad feeling to be wasting your potential sitting watching something that you dont benefit from. Life is short, got to make most of it.

Barrister

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are we really going to act like watching football influences whether one is "alpha" or "beta"?

It is a hobby like anything else. Hobbies should be done in moderation. I will say this about sports watching - they are a great way to break the ice in professional settings. Sometimes it opens the door just right to start a conversation off. So it actually has value outside of your own personal enjoyment. Nothing "beta" about it.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Old white billionaires making money off (mostly black) athlete brain damage.
It's interesting that 2 of the old New Year's Day bowls - Sugar & Cotton - feature commodities that, in the Antebellum era, were the main cash crops of the slave-centric plantation system; one wonders if the African-American athletes playing those games think about how their ancestors were exploited working to produce these crops.

Cotton & Cotton Bowl.jpg

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That is a complete retarded comment and making about race is even more retarded.
What about all these athletes that makes millions and even billions off their sport over the years they work professionally. Not only through their contracts with their sports club, but through all affiliate deals and companies they involve in. They (the athletes), sure make more money than most people here will make in a life time.
The players and the owners fvcking hate each other, if you haven't noticed. When the Buffalo player died briefly on the field, the league told them they had five minutes to get back to work. The only reason that the game was canceled is that the players refused to play. It was a rebellion.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's interesting that 2 of the old New Year's Day bowls - Sugar & Cotton - feature commodities that, in the Antebellum era, were the main cash crops of the slave-centric plantation system; one wonders if the African-American athletes playing those games think about how their ancestors were exploited working to produce these crops.

View attachment 9529
That's what "old money" means in the South. The same families that owned the plantations still have that money. And they spend it on football. That's why the SEC teams are so good.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The players and the owners fvcking hate each other, if you haven't noticed. When the Buffalo player died briefly on the field, the league told them they had five minutes to get back to work. The only reason that the game was canceled is that the players refused to play. It was a rebellion.
Or maybe they were also wondering why the hell the "ambulance" was a painted over uhaul and farting around waiting for the mom in a life-and-death situation.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the case of Kirk Cousins, football is a beta male profession.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's what "old money" means in the South. The same families that owned the plantations still have that money. And they spend it on football. That's why the SEC teams are so good.
That's not the reason; the reason is that the plantations had a lot of big men, and after the Civil War, a lot of them stayed around as itinerant workers or sharecroppers, especially in "freedmen towns" that sprang up on the outskirts of the plantations, and the SEC schools are the flagship universities in the states where most slave-era descendants now live. These players are able to stay close to home so Mama can come to the home games, and to stay where they are better climate-acclimated. Culturally speaking, the HBCUs are a better fit - and indeed is where players of segregation-yesteryear went - but the SEC play is top-level, and ironically, the SEC is a better cultural fit than a flagship school in a non-slave state.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can't watch football just to watch the game. I care about my college team, and I'll go to a couple of games a year with friends. I think I might watch a handful of games on TV. Going to a game in person is the way to go... but then you have to put up with drunk @ssholes and bull cr@p.

I find pro-football expensive and boring. Gambling has taken over the sport. Watch a sports program on TV today talking about pro-football and it's all about betting lines, point spreads... BORING.
For a few years in my early adulthood, I was basically a season-ticket holder for my NFL team; I had some friends that were also season-ticket holders (although we were spread out), and we would all go to the games together, so that part wasn't a hassle. However, there was still a 3-hour net "commute time" for a 3-hour game, and I began to consider the bi-weekly games a grind, as opposed to me just being able to turn on the TV at kickoff time. As for my college, walking to/from my dorm to the stadium was nothing, and when I attended a few games as a non-student (which was even more of a hassle), I came to the same conclusion that nothing beats turning on the TV.

Modern Man Advice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Put simply: It's one of the few ways most men, that are not winning in life, feel like winning in life. It's the closest they'll get to that feeling of accomplishing something. So when "your" team wins, you "win".

PS: Let me start by saying I'm a US citizen and grew up in the US (NYC to be more specific) but I am Spanish in blood and the whole American Football vs Football aka soccer argument is moronic. It comes down to ego. Americans have an ego to protect, it's the "American way". Football is and will always be the No. 1 sport. It brings 10X more money, and 100X the audience. To give you some numbers that can help you understand the compassion between apples and grapes: The Superbowl has about 114 million viewers, and the World Cup has about 1 billion + viewers. Whoever discusses the importance and impact between the two sports is delusional. American Football has a national impact, Football has a global impact. Period. Not to mention Football is older, and its name is derived from actually playing with your feet + a ball not your hands + egg shape thing.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching American Football but there is simply no comparison. Football is a religion.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Put simply: It's one of the few ways most men, that are not winning in life, feel like winning in life. It's the closest they'll get to that feeling of accomplishing something. So when "your" team wins, you "win".

PS: Let me start by saying I'm a US citizen and grew up in the US (NYC to be more specific) but I am Spanish in blood and the whole American Football vs Football aka soccer argument is moronic. It comes down to ego. Americans have an ego to protect, it's the "American way". Football is and will always be the No. 1 sport. It brings 10X more money, and 100X the audience. To give you some numbers that can help you understand the compassion between apples and grapes: The Superbowl has about 114 million viewers, and the World Cup has about 1 billion + viewers. Whoever discusses the importance and impact between the two sports is delusional. American Football has a national impact, Football has a global impact. Period. Not to mention Football is older, and its name is derived from actually playing with your feet + a ball not your hands + egg shape thing.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching American Football but there is simply no comparison. Football is a religion.
So was this post typed out with your hands or your feet? Soccer has, always has had, and always will have a very fatal flaw, and that is the fundamental lack of recognition of what separates humans from the rest of the animal kingdom.

If there's anything egotistical involved, it's the insecurity of the rest of the world. Imo however, that main reasons for soccer's worldwide popularity are practicality and tradition. In light of the inherent awkwardness of the sport, I'd say the cultism is on the soccer side of things.

And I'm saying this as someone who enjoys running.

Last edited:

Dr.Suave

Reaction score
Soccer has, always has had, and always will have a very fatal flaw, and that is the fundamental lack of recognition of what separates humans from the rest of the animal world.
I thought you were gonna say soccer is boring AF compared to NFL Playoffs

Last edited:

espanish

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
1) not sure what's the point of this post
2) you should never do anything to get girls, not get a haircut, not go to the gym, not play the guitar. you should do these only if you want to.
3) watching sports is good to occupy your mind if you have nothing better to do, ie you are retired, you are in college and don't have an exam coming up, you are collecting welfare and you are a loser.