Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Why squat more?

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I currently squat 90 kg, and wonder whether to increase. The de-stressing/health benefits are there, my legs look satisfactory/are strong, and I can spend time on other exercises by removing one squat workout per week. I consider stopping at 110 kg or so just because it sounds decent.

How do you reason? Why go further if one isn’t interested in being a gym/squat nerd?

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not to be a ****, but 90kg isn't a whole lot. I think every man should be able to squat at minimum 2 plates (about 100kg) for 5 clean ATG reps, but even that isn't much.

Squats incorporate more muscle groups than any other exercise so they translate into overall more strength. They also release more growth hormone than any other exercise.

I generally enjoy the feeling of having strong legs, much more useful than strong arms (biceps in particular) which don't really translate into anything helpful in real life scenarios. Even in a street fight, if you have strong sturdy legs you have a big advantage.

That said I do understand your point... my legs are way out of proportion it almost looks absurd. You can do deadlifts more instead or maybe work on other areas such as calisthenics, flexibility, endurance, HIIT, etc.

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I currently squat 90 kg, and wonder whether to increase. The de-stressing/health benefits are there, my legs look satisfactory/are strong, and I can spend time on other exercises by removing one squat workout per week. I consider stopping at 110 kg or so just because it sounds decent.

How do you reason? Why go further if one isn’t interested in being a gym/squat nerd?
Because squats will do more for the rest of your body not just your legs. The growth hormone/T boost from lifting legs is far greater than other body parts. It's the biggest muscle group, hence the heavier you go the more gets released.

An alternative is to look into Blood Flow Restriction(BFR) training which allows you to continue growing while lifting lighter weights.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Love leg day as much as push day, I've been waking up with a zizzly feeling, massive erection, I feel my testosterone building.

Bandolero

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Not to be a ****, but 90kg isn't a whole lot. I think every man should be able to squat at minimum 2 plates (about 100kg) for 5 clean ATG reps, but even that isn't much.

Squats incorporate more muscle groups than any other exercise so they translate into overall more strength. They also release more growth hormone than any other exercise.

I generally enjoy the feeling of having strong legs, much more useful than strong arms (biceps in particular) which don't really translate into anything helpful in real life scenarios. Even in a street fight, if you have strong sturdy legs you have a big advantage.

That said I do understand your point... my legs are way out of proportion it almost looks absurd. You can do deadlifts more instead or maybe work on other areas such as calisthenics, flexibility, endurance, HIIT, etc.
How is having big legs help you in a street fight?

I am curious

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How is having big legs help you in a street fight?

I am curious
Helps keep you on your feet and gives you more sturdiness in general, plus punching power comes from your whole body starting with your feet, if you have strong legs you can general more power overall.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nothing leaves me feeling satisfied until I am done with squats. I do squats on all my lift days. My thighs are pretty big and sturdy. My shins are smaller, but it's a tapered look that drives the physique. But I can stand and run for hours. My endurance is way better than ever before, too. And girls always comment on my buttocks. They're weird.

Deranged

Don Juan
Reaction score

I realize they are likely disproportionately large in comparison to your upper(nice problem to have compared to the avg btw). But it's way more fun to imagine the opposite. You look like a barrel on 2 stilts don't you? haha

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

90 kg squat isn’t even strong. How much do you weigh?

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
89.7 kg, 170 cm tall, athletic build.
Body weight squat is not much at all. “Strong” would be 2X body weight. Elite is 2.5X.

IMO, there is a lot of room for more strength progress on the squat. As other poster’s mentioned, the Squat has numerous other benefits. It is arguably the most effective load bearing exercise that exists.

Stanley

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
89.7 kg, 170 cm tall, athletic build.
you 'should' be squatting closer to 300lbs/136kg and over at that weight. Everyone's build is different but 2x bodyweight or close to it is a good standard.

I love squats, used to hate em with my back, but as I got stronger and improved my form literally every lift went up.

jafman

Don Juan
Reaction score

There are no other exercises worth swapping a squat session for. Squat twice a week. 1 brutal session where you visit the afterlife and another once recovered where you use variation like front squats or paused or tempo etc.

Studies have proven that squats actually increase the gains from your other lifts and even if you did no other lifts you can actually grow your upper body from squats…

I think you want someone to help you justify the decision to quit on progressive overload on squats. I know why too.

ITS BECAUSE THEY ARE REALLY HARD!

mall the best things you can achieve take hard work. So my advice is squat more not less!

Or you could remove a squat session and do some bosu ball balancing or some incline tricep kickbacks instead….

Reincarnated

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not to discredit you or be discouraging, but it really sounds like you're trying to validate excuses to not do the difficult work. For plenty of people, 90kg is impressive (despite what others here may say), but it certainly shouldn't be the end-goal for men in or near their prime. I see far lesser guys put up more than 110kg (with varying quality of form).

Frankly if you really don't want to go beyond 90kg, I'd establish a routine where you're squatting less than that, but doing so at higher reps, and increasing those reps periodically. This can give you the benefits of hypertrophy without "becoming a gym nerd". To your point, there are a lot of other lower body exercises you can do that are also beneficial, but unless you have serious health reasons to not squat, you should be doing so regularly

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You could probably run Mark Rippetoe starting strength and make good increases on your squat.

Pedrito0906

Banned
Reaction score
You should be progressive overloading anyways, you never want to stand still with the same weight. I had an accident in which I herniated 2 discs, went to chiropractor, took medicine, even got two epidural steroid injections, started 1 year ago with 20lbs on each side, two day ago I squatted 225 for 5 reps, not strong by definition, but if I did it, you could keep increasing weight, cause it also gets your core strong that pretty much supports your upper body.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you want someone to help you justify the decision to quit on progressive overload on squats. I know why too.

ITS BECAUSE THEY ARE REALLY HARD!
I hear you, because there are few things on the planet I hate more than doing squats.

RazorRambo24

Banned
Reaction score
I really don't squat heavy.. For the simple fact that I have older friends who have joint issues in their late 30s early 40's due to alot of heavy squatting at a young age (powerlifting).

I pretty much workout to look good. I don't care about being a jacked/huge dude who can't fit in doorways so my philosophy isnt based on going super heavy/ego lifting..

I do have a nice bench though I can bench 325 for 8 reps and I don't use pre workout or creatine

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gotta outdo the Slavs man

jafman

Don Juan
Reaction score
I really don't squat heavy.. For the simple fact that I have older friends who have joint issues in their late 30s early 40's due to alot of heavy squatting at a young age (powerlifting).

I pretty much workout to look good. I don't care about being a jacked/huge dude who can't fit in doorways so my philosophy isnt based on going super heavy/ego lifting..

I do have a nice bench though I can bench 325 for 8 reps and I don't use pre workout or creatine
You couldn’t struggle to fit through doorways if you tried. Be honest. Lifting strengthens joints it does not weaken them. Bad form and poor protocols damage joints