Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Where to Start

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JohnnyIrish said:
Thanks effort. I have a few minor questions:
1) Is the Back Extension an acceptable substitute for Glute Ham Raises or Hyperextensions?

DO THIS INSTEAD

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBStrBackStiffLegDeadlift.html

2) When testing max bench, does it matter if one uses dumbells or a barbells?

USE A BARBELL

3) Being not familiar (I.E. learning) the Barbell Row I looked it up and found two exercises:
bent over barbell rows
or
Upright barbell rows
Does it matter which one we use?

USE THE FIRST ONE
RESPONSES IN BOLD

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^^^^^^
Actually I prefer back extensions over stiff-legged deadlifts. I get more ROM and I can use more weight; hits my glutes and hams a lot harder. But, just about everyone has different opinions on whats the next best accessory exercise after the glut-ham raise and reverse hypers.

Supremo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ive never done that before. i guess similar to cleans.
according to the rippetoe workout plan i can do pendlays, rows, or power cleans.
rather than testing my max rows, would you say do my max power clean since im going to use that exercise over the others?

iamChiLLz

Reaction score
Isnt it better to use dumbells for bench? as opposed to being locked in on a barbell? To utilise the secondary muscles more or something of the like??

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I still have some weeks got go but I'm curious, when one is done the 12 week program do you simply start back at week 1?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Based on your strengths and weaknesses the program is altered if need be. We'll help you out when the time comes.

Quagmire

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JohnnyIrish said:
I still have some weeks got go but I'm curious, when one is done the 12 week program do you simply start back at week 1?

don't think we've had anyone that went this route make it the 12 weeks. If more people were making it through i'd start a new thread on what to do next. For now though just make it the 12 weeks and shoot me a pm once the 12 weeks is up and i'll get you setup.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
don't think we've had anyone that went this route make it the 12 weeks. If more people were making it through i'd start a new thread on what to do next. For now though just make it the 12 weeks and shoot me a pm once the 12 weeks is up and i'll get you setup.
^^^

You may be the first! Many have tried and failed...

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
^^^

You may be the first! Many have tried and failed...
I may be the first? HA!
Just more motivation thrown on to the top of the pile. ;)

kav_3

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not, but i'm going to post it here anyways.

So anyways I have been following this program for like the first 8 weeks without really missing any days right, but then I got lazy and stopped going for like 6 weeks. In which case I ended up going back to the gym to do the last 4 weeks right after that long break.

So my question is should I do 8 more weeks since I had that 6 week break or should I start a new workout program and if so, what should i do?

Oh and if anyone was wondering which one of the programs I was doing it was option b.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just a thread I came across deep in the archives in one of Rippetoe's (author of option A) forums today that seems appropriate for this thread...

Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
We've had young guys put 350 on their deadlift, 150 on their bench, and 75 on their press. But most will not do the program, so it doesn't happen often.

Some kid:
What do you mean by this? I'd give my left nut to train at your gym.

Bless you, my son. But it is a rare occasion when a trainee of the right age, height, and motivation shows up at my gym here in Wichita Falls. You probably haven't processed this yet, but the vast majority of the human race consists of lazy slobs that will not work to complete a task that involves something physically or intellectually hard. You guys are the tiny minority, and I'm proud to be associated with you.

Some kid:
So by not do the program you're talking about one of many things:

1. Quitting after a week or two.
2. Training only very sporadically.
3. Trying to substitute exercises, e.g. pansy half-squats on a Smith.
4. Trying to add exercises other than assistance work.
5. Not sleeping enough.
6. Not eating enough.
7. Not drinking enough milk.
8. Not working hard, saying one's prayers and taking one's vitamins?

Exactimundo.

Neubie

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was doing Rippetoe's for a few months + anabolic diet and my squat, bench, and deadlift went up roughly 10kg, 30kg, and 45kg respectively.

Still not quite up there with some of you guys yet (cough Stallion and Quag :p) but was wondering when you guys decided to do a split as opposed to a 3 day Total body session, perhaps I was overdoing it 'cause sometimes it just felt grueling knowing i'll be trying to pump up the squat/bench/deadlift again and again...

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Would it not be better to put somebody on a conditioning/frequency workout for 6-8 weeks before starting a strength program?

I'm pretty experienced with coming off long layoffs :p and I've always found my gains and fitness levels were better if I started by doing full body workouts for a couple months before starting to become more strength-oriented.

-

The last couple months have been pretty hectic(just immigrated to Australia) and I lacked the mental energy to do much in the gym.. Now when I get back into it, it feels awkward trying to just jump on the Strength wagon again. Really wondering if I should focus on muscular conditioning and frequency for a few weeks before getting full into it.

Insight would be great.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you guys think of recommending Iron Addict's Simple Power Based Routine to beginners here alongside Rippetoe's routines?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bat said:
What do you guys think of recommending Iron Addict's Simple Power Based Routine to beginners here alongside Rippetoe's routines?
Pretty solid routine for beginners. Would be a great start.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
who doesn't like steak? :confused:

if you don't like red meat then take in a minimum of two dozen raw eggs a day (or a mix of raw/cooked) plus other proteins e.g. chicken