What do you think to this workout split?

Read the 22 Rules for Massive Success with Women. Everything you need to know to become a huge success with women. And it's free!

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Focus on your diet. There's no magic bullet routine around this. Those routines are very bad too. There's literally tons of tried and true programs out there, with forums full of asked and answered questions and feedback etc. BB'ing.com isn't one of them imo. Tnation has a pretty large handful of knowledgeable users and the coaches forums are a treasure trove. Intensemuscle, elitefts, jimwendler.com, jts, Joshbryant.com. You will get much further, without spinning your wheels jumping on a cookie cutter routine and sticking with it long enough, until you get a feel for what works and learning about programming in the process and be able to write your own. If you're dead set on DUP, the cube method is hard to beat. Massive iron 531 method is good too, I would just drop some of the redundant assistance work.
Trying to get shredded like Bradd pitt in fight club

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shredded is diet and lots of cardio. Lifting would be accessory to cardio. I’d take up running, cycling, swimming, or rowing. Cardio-heavy sports like soccer or basketball work also. Build your lifting split only to supplement your cardio of choice. Bottom line: you won’t get shredded under strength building or bodybuilding programs (unless you take drugs). You have to train more like a cardio athlete.

Last edited:

Macaframalama

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tnation looks good thanks
No prob. Look into barbell circuits, giant sets(specifically how Brian Alshrue sets them up) and complexes. You can stick to strength and bodybuilding routines, but setting PR's with strength in mind aren't necessarily congruent with your goals for most, past intermediate stages. It can be done however. You are a beginner, so you can make huge strides in strength gains, building muscle mass and losing fat all at the same time for awhile, though. Take advantage of being a novice and better recovery abilities and push the volume a little. Mix anaerobic/glycolytic energy systems training on your lifting days (prowler pushes/pulls, sled pulls, sprints, airdyne sprints, Farmers carries, etc) with slow steady state cardio on off days. The anaerobic work will help you build/retain muscle mass, while also helping you lose fat at the same time as well as improving insulin sensitivity. Up your protein and healthy fat intake a little and slowly reduce your carb intake.

Last edited:
Read the 22 Rules for Massive Success with Women. Everything you need to know to become a huge success with women. And it's free!

Reykhel

Banned
Reaction score
5 months hurt back, haven't lifted for 2 weeks, I need a simple program for beginners
Ooff. My sympathies. Sciatica or lumbar?

Sciatica in 2014. Literally walking with a peg leg/limp.

long haul flight to Cuba. Worked out well because it hurt like hell I had a verocious snarl and I reckon it helped me not
getting taking advantage of over there.

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
did it for 5 months with a poor diet. What do you suggest? Im trying to get lean and ripped
In my opinion ANY training program that is done with consistency and intensity will yield outstanding results.

In my experience diet and cardio is 80% of the equation for getting lean and ripped. It's really simple: consume less calories and do more exercise.

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I train full-body every time I work out (3-5xs per week), often incorporating cardio afterwards or even in between sets. I'm not convinced that splits are optimal, nor am I comvinced that splits are or safer/more beneficial than whole body workouts.

Last edited:

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2 full body workouts a week.
I have strong personal opinion on this and I doubt everybody will agree:

There is no way you're gonna yield exceptional results with a mere 2-days-a-week training program. The common denominator I sense with most people toward fitness is the unrealistic expectation of doing the minimum while expectating the maximum. It seems to me that most aspiring fitness enthusiasts are constantly trying to get by with eating as much as possible and exercising as little as possible.

If I want to look exceptionally fit I have to exert an exceptional effort. I don't eat and exercise like most people. If I want to look exceptionally fit, I've got to do MORE than most. Because this is what truly separates the exceptional from the average.

In my mind, 2 days a week is not exceptional, no matter how hard I train and no matter how clean I eat.

There's nothing easy or cheap or convenient when it comes to high-level fitness.

If you want to train 2xs a week just to look somewhat fit then disregard my post.

Last edited:

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm all for maximum effort and I also believe that high volume training is underrated.

But the workout you posted, in my opinion, is largely fiction. I'm convinced it's severe overload even for a guy who's on a heavy cycle of steroids. I don't recommend trying it.

I was going to try this workout

The Rep Goal Progression

These programs are based on a very simplistic progression system. You have a set rep goal you need to reach within the allowed number of sets, before you can add weight to the lift. So if we take squats for instance, where we have 4 sets with a rep goal of 32. Set 1 you may get 10 reps, Set 2: 9 reps, Set 3: 7 reps and Set 4: 6 reps... and then add some weight the next time you're squatting. 5, 10 or even 20 pounds, depending on the lift and what you're comfortable with. If you're failling to reach the rep goal, you simply stay with the same weight until you hit it. This kind of progression makes it far more self regulated than the average novice routine, which means you can stick with it for longer.

The Fullbody Routine

You run it with the standard rest day between the training days, taking two days off after each round.

Day 1
Back Squat - 4 sets - 32 reps
Bench Press - 3 sets - 25 reps
Barbell Row - 3 sets - 25 reps
Seated Leg Curls - 3 sets - 30 reps
Seated DB Press/Military Press - 2 sets - 20 reps
Wide-grip Pulldowns - 3 sets - 30 reps
Abs/Calves Superset - 3 sets each - 40 reps each

Day 2
Deadlift - 2 sets - 12 reps
or
Romanian DL - 3 sets - 30 reps
Leg Press - 3 sets - 30 reps
Incline DB Press - 3 sets - 30 reps
Close-grip T-bar or Cable Rows - 3 sets - 30 reps
Lateral Raises/Barbell Shrugs - 3 supersets - 30 reps each
Straight-arm Pulldowns/Facepulls - 3 supersets - 40 reps each
Barbell Curl/Skullcrushers - 3 supersets - 30 reps each

Day 3
Bench Press - 3 sets - 25 reps
Barbell Row - 3 sets - 25 reps
Lying Leg Curls - 3 sets - 30 reps
Seated DB Press or Military Press - 2 sets - 20 reps
Close-grip Pulldowns - 3 sets - 30 reps

The Upper/Lower Split

Upper 1/Lower 1/Off/Upper 2/Lower 2/Off/Off and repeat...

Upper Day 1
Bench Press - 4 sets - 32 reps
Barbell Row - 4 sets - 32 reps
Military Press - 3 sets - 25 reps
Wide-grip Pulldowns or Pullups - 3 sets - 30 reps
One-arm Cable or DB Rows - 3 sets - 30 reps
Straight-arm Pulldowns/Facepulls - 3 supersets - 30 reps each

Lower Day 1
or
Hack Squat - 3 sets - 30 reps
Single-leg Leg Press - 3 sets - 35 reps

Upper Day 2
Lateral Raises/Barbell Shrugs - 3 supersets - 30 reps each
Overhead Cable Extensions/Cable Hammer Curls - 3 supersets - 35 reps each

Lower Day 2
Leg Extensions/Leg Curls - 3 supersets - 35 reps each

The Upper/Lower/Pull/Push/Legs Split

Upper/Lower/Off/Pull/Push/Legs/Off and repeat

Upper Day

Lower Day
or
Hack Squat - 3 sets - 30 reps
Single-leg Leg Press - 3 sets - 35 reps

Pull Day
T-bar, Cable or DB Rows - 3 sets - 30 reps
Close-grip Puldowns - 3 sets - 35 reps
Barbell Curls - 3 sets - 30 reps
Hammer Curls, Cable or DB - 3 sets - 35 reps

Push Day
Cable Crossovers - 3 sets - 40 reps
Lateral Raises - 3 sets - 30 reps
Skullcrushers - 3 sets - 30 reps
Overhead Cable Extensions - 3 sets - 35 reps

Leg Day
Leg Extensions/Leg Curls - 3 supersets - 35 reps each

Hope you'll enjoy these programs and I'm all ears for your response.

Macaframalama

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that splits are necessary or more/less beneficial than whole body workouts.
They aren't. One way or another. They just are what they are and are prescribed with many different variables taken into consideration. There comes a point, when you are moving too much weight for total body routines to be an efficient use of time. Not to mention the total tonnage moved in itself. It takes me on average 20-30 minutes working up in weight to my work sets and my sessions are very dense. I've also made my best strength gains in the squat and deadlift by alternating each weekly. That means I'm only squatting and pulling twice a month per lift. Conventional wisdom would have us thinking my d!ck would have fell off in the process. Simply not the case.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The common denominator I sense with most people toward fitness is the unrealistic expectation of doing the minimum while expectating the maximum.
Actually I have been doing this lately and it’s worked out great for me. I don’t need to do nearly as many sets or reps as most people do to yield the same/better results gain them. I just changed the mindset I go around in and my intensity is higher, so I don’t have to do as much volume. And I also don’t have to go to the gym nearly as often as most people for muscle-related gains. I think I may have been doing too much before though. I stopped listening to my body and kept forcing it to work. Now I just do what I feel will give me what I want. My workouts aren’t even the same when I do go to exercise. I mix everything up, and if you saw me working out, you’d be like ‘this kid is a ****ing retard and has no idea what he’s doing’ but I feel myself getting stronger. Particularly out of the gym. I might lift once or twice a week and that’s good enough for me. But I also do other strenuous physical activity pretty much everyday though regardless of whether I lift or not (lifting was just supplementary).

Basically, you just gotta know you’re body and know what you’re doing. Know how to listen to your body. That will yield maximal results with minimal effort.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Others have said it with the cardio bit. But avoid cycling because that has been known not to increase androgenic hormones afterwards. Swimming, running, playing other sports, etc. will but cycling won’t for whatever reason. Probably because it can crush your balls or something but that’s just my guess.

Also, after you do cardio, don’t eat right away. You’ll feel tired and hungry and you’ll want to eat. But don’t. Not right away. Wait until you don’t feel tired anymore before you do eat. Should be about 1 - 2 hours depending. This is only good for getting shredded though, for muscle gain it’s not optimal. But since you want to get more lean, it’ll be better this way.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
all these forums I ask what's a good beginner program and I get the run around SMH

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're talking years of allot of hard work and living and breathing your goals, but this^^^ is attainable naturally. Proportionate to your bone structure anyways.
It’s not possible without drugs. Stop lying to him.

all these forums I ask what's a good beginner program and I get the run around SMH
Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe or Stronglifts 5X5

Macaframalama

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It’s not possible without drugs.
Dude, stop putting your limitations on everyone else here. It's not possible for YOU, without drugs. The physique in the pic is shredded more than he is huge. I've had one buddy that wrestled at a division II college that lived off of ground beef and pony kegs that looked just as big and shredded as this pic. Several friends that were bigger, but not as cut living off of beans and bologny sandwiches in the penitentiary. Gaining the mass is the easy part compared to reducing bf% to this level, something that takes more mental focus and sacrifice, than anything else. Take your defeatist attitude and p!ss poor genetics elsewhere.