Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Submission fighting/ judo

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Where do you guys compete and do you have any info for a veteran submission fighter?.

Toddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in the UK, just starting my BJJ journey. Had my first class earlier today!

Jesse Pinkman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you think it is possible to learn how to wrestle and such after college?
[/QUOthen.

I started at age 34. Everyone starts somewhere. Most important is finding a good place to train, with good supervision. Beating up new people for fun is lame and a sign that it is not a quality gym.

Jesse Pinkman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Bible_Belt

I meant like learn actual wrestling rather than just BJJ and MMA. I have been trying to see if I can learn how to properly do a takedown, maintain control, and prevent being taken down. Seriously trying to get into MMA soon as soon as I get my new job.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Bible_Belt

I meant like learn actual wrestling rather than just BJJ and MMA. I have been trying to see if I can learn how to properly do a takedown, maintain control, and prevent being taken down. Seriously trying to get into MMA soon as soon as I get my new job.
Takedowns are a weak spot of bjj. Everyone at Naga wants to pull guard. It's annoying.

Wrestling is like the opposite of jiu jitsu. Strength matters. Simply put, wrestling is better when you are winning, and bjj is better when you are losing.

Jesse Pinkman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Takedowns are a weak spot of bjj. Everyone at Naga wants to pull guard. It's annoying.

Wrestling is like the opposite of jiu jitsu. Strength matters. Simply put, wrestling is better when you are winning, and bjj is better when you are losing.
Got it, do MMA gyms teach wrestling at all or are there gyms that do?

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Got it, do MMA gyms teach wrestling at all or are there gyms that do?
You will not find a wrestling specific school outside of high school teams and college club teams. There are a few Catch Wrestling schools but they are the exception.

MMA/ BJJ schools do teach wrestling. They incorporate it into their BJJ classes. Wrestling is going through a rebirth because of Brazilian Ju Jitsu competitions. The BJJ guys are starting to learn wrestling because takedowns are getting more difficult to get on wrestlers .

In my last competition I pretty much only did ok because I have a good wrestling single takedown. Other than that im fairly average. BJJ guys cant really wrestle but the gap is closing fast.

Some gyms have whole wrestling classes during the week. At the very least you will learn very basic wrestling if you go to a good BJJ school.

Last edited:

Jesse Pinkman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You will not find a wrestling specific school outside of high school teams and college club teams. There are a few Catch Wrestling schools but they are the exception.

MMA/ BJJ schools do teach wrestling. They incorporate it into their BJJ classes. Wrestling is going through a rebirth because of Brazilian Ju Jitsu competitions. The BJJ guys are starting to learn wrestling because takedowns are getting more difficult to get on wrestlers .

In my last competition I pretty much only did ok because I have a good wrestling single takedown. Other than that im fairly average. BJJ guys cant really wrestle but the gap is closing fast.

Some gyms have whole wrestling classes during the week. At the very least you will learn very basic wrestling if you go to a good BJJ school.
Thank you so much man. Also, how would you rate South Florida's MMA scene to elsewhere in the US?

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you so much man. Also, how would you rate South Florida's MMA scene to elsewhere in the US?
Broski i really dont know that much about Floridas MMA scene. I live far away from Florida. Have you done any combat sports before and how old are you if you dont mind me asking?

Jesse Pinkman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Broski i really dont know that much about Floridas MMA scene. I live far away from Florida. Have you done any combat sports before and how old are you if you dont mind me asking?
Did like Tae Kwon Do for 5 years as a kid if that counts and then boxing for a year at the age of 19.

I am 30 so kind of on the old side.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Did like Tae Kwon Do for 5 years as a kid if that counts and then boxing for a year at the age of 19.

I am 30 so kind of on the old side.
Man you are not old at 30 lol. I started at 33 yrs old. There are guys in their late 30s that can hang with the guys in their 20s.

Man i would start with Muy Thai and BJJ classes. Then transition into the MMA classes.

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

YouTube best believe.

mrskinnypantz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I imagine Florida is a hotbed for fighters considering Kimbo slice and Jorge masvidal both came out of Florida, there is a well know history of underground fighting in Florida.
I imagine many MMA gyms opened to cap on that.