My fitness journal

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damocles said:
I don't really have enough time to go through all of this at the moment, but I do have one question for you...

Is that all you're eating? Oatmeal, ham, peanuts, milk, and a tenth of a cup of spinach, with a little ground beef thrown in once in a while?
Guys have asked me this before. No, it is not all that I'm eating; I prepare the workout journal before eating dinner. If you've been following my journal and my monthly weigh in thread you'll also know that I am in the 150s weight class. I like this look, it's what works for me. I don't want to gain weight, I'll never bulk up. To a lesser extent women are constantly letting me know they like the way I look, too. I exercise for myself not them, of course, but you get the idea (I hope).

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
yea, I haven't read most of the rest of it... I'm not talking about the volume of food, it's just a really restricted diet. Whatev, tho, eat what works for ya.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damocles said:
yea, I haven't read most of the rest of it... I'm not talking about the volume of food, it's just a really restricted diet. Whatev, tho, eat what works for ya.
Yep, I do what works for me. :up: I do read the comments and suggestions that EFFORT, Warboss Alex, stronglifts, etc. give me and incorporate them when and where I can, though. It is good to post my journal here on H & F because it keeps me focused.

I read your workout log thread, you're a runner. How long have you been training? So what are your long term goals? Marathon?

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mon. Feb. 11, 2008- Sat. Feb. 16, 2008

Mon. Feb. 11, 2008

breakfast: . 3 cup oatmeal, 8 oz milk, two slices oat bread, 2 slices mayonnaise, 1 tblsp mayonnaise, .5 oz peanuts, green tea, one 20 oz cup of water

lunch: . 3 cup oatmeal, 7 oz milk, 4 ham slices, .5 oz peanuts, one 20 oz cup of green tea

dinner/pregym: 12 oz baked pork steak, 3 ketchup packets, .3 cup green beans, .5 oz peanuts, one 20 oz cup of water, one medium sugar cookie, 3 chocolate candies (those rish kind). The sweets have been sitting there in the fridge since last December. I broke down and had some. It made me feel kind of guilty afterwards.

gym:

flat bench dumbbell press: 10 X 5 50 total w/ 50 pounds in each hand

standing barbell bicep curl: 4 X 9 36 total at 85 pounds

standing dumbbell front raise: 10 X 5 50 total w/ 30 pounds in each hand

side to side: 50 X 2 100 total w/ 65 pounds in each hand

lower abdominal exercise: 10 X 2 20 total using the dip machine for support
10 X 1 10 total using the pullup bar for support

I was at the gym ~53 minutes. I rested ~45 sec-1 min between sets but not routines. I had one water fountain break. This was a late night workout. I don't like going to the gym so late in the day. The gym is less crowded but my workout psyche is down when it's really late at night. Daytime is better.

postgym snack: nothing. Sleep time.

Thurs. Feb. 14, 2008

breakfast: .8 cup corn flakes, 10 oz milk, 1.5 slices turkey meat (deli), 1 tsp mayonnaise, 1 slice wheat bread, one 20 oz cup of water, . 5 oz peanuts

snack: 2 ham slices, . 5 oz peanuts, one 20 oz cup of water

pregym snack: . 6 cup oatmeal, 10 oz milk, 3 ham slices, one 20 oz cup of water

gym:

step up: 3 X 2 w/ 90 pounds in each hand

farmer's walk: 15 feet up and back is one set carrying 90 pounds in each hand
15 X 2
15 X 1
15 X 1
15 X 1

lunges: 10 X 5 w/ 45 pounds in each hand

side to side: 50 X 2 w/ 45 pounds in each hand

dips: 10 X 3

lower ab exercise using dip bar for support: 10 X 10

I was at the gym 1 hour including time spent helping a friend. I rested ~45 sec to 1 min between sets but not routines. I took three water fountain breaks.

postgym meal/dinner: 8 oz polish sausage, 2 scrambled eggs, .5 oz peanuts, one 20 oz cup of water

Sat. Feb. 16, 2008

breakfast/pregym: .3 cup oatmeal, 10 oz milk, one slice ham, green tea

gym:

deadlifts: 5 X 2 at 280 pounds
2 X 2 at 280 pounds
1 X 1 at 280 pounds
1 X 1 at 290 pounds
1 X 1 at 290 pounds

I was at the gym ~ 1 h 10 minutes. I had two water fountain breaks. I rested ` 2 minutes between the first two deadlift sets, then ~3-8 minutes for the other sets. I was also there helping a friend which factored into my time. My energy has been down a little since the beginning of the week, last Thursday I had cconsidered taking next week off, I think I will be doing that to give my body some rest.

postgym snack: 1 ham slice, 1 slice wheat bread, 1 tsp mayonnaise, ine 20 oz cup of water, . 3 cup corn flakes, 10 oz milk

This entry is made before dinner.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tues. Feb. 26, 2008- Sat. March. 1, 2008

Tues Feb. 26, 2008

breakfast/pregym: 2 slices ham, . 4 cup oatmeal, 8 oz milk, . 5 oz peanuts, green tea

gym:

standing barbell overhead press: 5-6 X 5 26 total at 90 pounds*

* This is a 5 pound increase over previous workouts

flat bench dumbbell press: 7-10 47 total w/ 50 pounds in each hand

dumbbell front raise: 10 X 5 50 total w/ 30 pounds in each hand

standing barbell bicep curl: 4 X 9 36 total at 85 pounds

lower ab exercise raising my legs and lowering them again using the dip bar for support:
10 X 5 50 total

postgym/snack: 2 ham slices, .3 cup oatmeal, 8 oz milk, 20 oz water, .5 oz peanuts

Thurs. Feb. 28, 2008

breakfast: . 3 cup oatmeal, 4 oz milk, 2 ham slices, green tea, 1 egg, .5 oz peanuts

lunch/pregym: . 3 cup oatmeal, 2 oz milk, 4 ham slices, 20 oz water, 1 egg, .5 oz peanuts

gym:

step up: one step up and down is one rep 4-6 X 6 w/ 90 pound dumbbells in each hand

lunges PLUS: I'm incorporating two exersises in one w/ this exercise. I hold a dumbbell in each hand and as I step into the lunge I bring the dumbbells out to my sides then up in front of me at eye level allowing them to touch. As I come to the upright position I lower the dumbbells to my sides. When I step forward to lunge with the other leg, I raise my arms bringing the dumbbells out to my sides then up in front of my face again. I have my arms fully extended as I perform this move. 15 feet forward and back back again is one rep.

1-3 X 6 w/ 25 pounds in each hand

side to side: 50 X 2 w/ 65 pounds in each hand

one arm pullups (just for fun):
right arm: 2 X 1
left arm: 1 X 1

lower ab workout supporting myself from the dip bar: 10 X 10

inclined situps (with weight) maximum incline: 30 X 1 w/ 25 pound dumbbell above chest
20 X 1 w/ 25 pounds above chest
17 X 1 w/ 25 pounds above chest

I was at the gym for one hour and 5 minutes. I took two water fountain breaks. I rested 45 secs to 1 minute between sets but not routines.

postgym snack: 4 slices ham, . 3 cup oatmeal, 3 oz milk, 1 egg, .5 oz peanuts, 20 oz water

Sat March 1, 2008

breakfast/pregym: 4 slices of ham, 2 slices of wheat bread, .3 oz peanuts, 2 tblsp mayonnaise, green tea, one 20 oz cup of water

gym:

deadlifts: 5 X 2 at 280 pounds
2 X 2 at 290 pounds
2 X 2 at 290 pounds
2 X 2 at 290 pounds
1 X 1 at 300 pounds *
1 X 1 at 300 pounds
1 X 1 at 300 pounds

* Yep, I did it! I finally deadlifted 300 pounds!! :up: I was doing my 290s and was thinking to just keep at 290 today, work up some more sets but then I thought to myself, I'm just a little shy of 300 pounds. So what the heck? So I just added more weight and here ya have it!!

I was at the gym ~ 1 hour. I rested 2-10 minutes between sets. I spent longer resting when I got up to the 300 pound deadlifts, but it was good. I took two water fountain breaks. I was thinking to get to 300 by early April but why wait? I told myself I could do it NOW so I just did it. That's what workouts are all about: pushing the body beyond its preconceived limitations. The mind powers the body, you know?

post gym snack: 4 ham slices, . 1 cup chili w/ ground beef, . 3 oz peanuts, one 20 oz cup of water.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Excellent job!! Break those limits my friend, its what this is all about!

BTW you should get a video of yourself doing it so we can make sure you got the right form.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I-tallionStallion said:
Excellent job!! Break those limits my friend, its what this is all about!

BTW you should get a video of yourself doing it so we can make sure you got the right form.
Thanks, guys. I won't say exactly when I'll get up to 400 pounds but it is definitely within sight. As for correct form, I'm careful. I also follow stronglifts deadlifting technique. He posted a link to a video about proper deadlift form somewhere in the H&F section...

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tues March 4, 2004 - Sat. March 8, 2008

Tues March. 4, 2008

breakfast: .1 cup oatmeal, 4 oz milk, 2 slices wheat bread, 1.5 tsp peanut butter, 1 tsp grape jam, green tea

lunch/pregym: 2 slices ham, .1 cup green beans, one 20 oz cup water, 1 oz peanuts

gym:

standing barbell overhead press: 5-6 X 5 228 total at 90 pounds

flat bench dumbbell bench press: 7-10 X 5 46 total at 55 pounds*

*This is a 5 pound increase over last week.

barbell rows: 7-9 X 6 49 total at 85 pounds

side to side: 50 X 2 50 total at 65 pounds

chin ups (palms facing away) narrow grip: 5 X 2 10 total

I was at the gym ~50 minutes. I did the chin ups just b/c I felt like it. I increased the weight on the flat bench barbell press, I'm glad for that. The standing barbell overhead press is good at 90 pounds so it's all good. I was feeling a little tired so I went home a little early. I rested 1-2 minutes between sets but not routines. I also had two water fountain breaks.

post gym snack: 2 ham slices, .1 cup green beans, one 20 oz cup of water, 5 chocolates (Yeah, I know, but they've been sitting there for months, I ate a few of them and there are only two left now. It will be a while before I eat them.)

Thurs March 6, 2008

breakfast: . 3 cup oatmeal, 6 oz milk, 2 ham slices, . 5 oz peanuts, green tea

pregym snack: .3 cup oatmeal, 6 oz milk, 2 ham slices, . 3 oz peanuts, one 20 oz cup of water

gym:

step up 4 - 6 X 5

lunges PLUS: I hold a dumbbell in each hand and as I step into the lunge I bring the dumbbells up in front of me at eye level. As I come to the upright position I lower the dumbbells to my sides. When I step forward to lunge with the other leg, I bring the dummbells up in front of my face again. I have my arms fully extended as I perform this move. 15 feet forward and back back again is one rep.

2-3 X 8 w/ 25 pound dumbbells in each hand

side to side: 50 X 2 w/ 65 pound dumbbells in each hand

one arm pullups (palm facing me) right arm: 5 X 1
one arm pullups (palm facing me) left arm: 2 X 1

I was at the gym ~ 45 minutes. I rested 1-2 minutes between sets but not routines. I did the one arm pullups just for fun. Since I don't do them as often as I used to it's fun to do them impusively (especially one arm pullups) but I still get bored with them quickly. I had one water fountain break.

postgym snack: .3 cup oatmeal, 6 oz milk, 2 ham slices, . 2 oz peanuts, six chunks canned pineapple

Sat. March 8, 2008

breakfast: . 3 cup oatmeal, 10 oz milk, 2 ham slices, .3 oz peanuts, green tea

lunch/pregym: . 3 cup oatmeal, 6 oz milk, 1 egg, 4 ham slices, .3 oz peanuts, one 20 oz cup of water

gym:

deadlifts: 5 X 1 at 280 pounds
5 X 1 at 290 pounds
1 X 1 at 300 pounds
ten attempts spread throughout rest of gym workout

farmer's walk: 10 feet forward and back is one rep
2 X 1

standing barbell overhead press: 6 X 1 at 90 pounds

flat bench dumbbell press: 10 X 1 w/ 55 pounds in each hand

one arm pullups (right arm): 4 X 1
2 X 1
one arm pullups (left arm): 1 X 1

pullups palms facing each other shoulder width apart: 4 X 1

pullups (palms facing toward me, legs extended in front of me to work abs) narrow grip:
4 X 1

chinups (palms facing away from me) narrow grip: 3 X 1

barbell rows: 8 X 1 at 90 pounds*

*This is a 5 pound increase from previous workouts

lunges PLUS: 2 X 2 w/ 25 pounds in each hand

side to side: 50 X 1 w/ 65 pound dumbbells in each hand

standing barbell bicep curl: 2 X 1 at 90 pounds*

*This is a five pound increase over previous workouts

dips: 10 X 1

flat bench barbell press: 4 X 1 at 120 pounds
2 X 1 at 120 pounds

I was at the gym 1 hr 40 minutes, I was there longer because I was helping friends. A couple of friends had come to the gym, I started them on some light weights and in demonstrating proper form I decided to do something different for myself today. I already got through my deadlift sets by the time they got there. So for myself I just decided to see what I could accomplsih going through different exercises that I would not normally do in one day. I had finished one 300 pound rep on my deadlifts, but I would return between other exercises to attempt more deadlifts. I couldn't get the left side lifted high enough so I didn't count those as reps. After that I wasn't able to lift quite as high as in previous attempts. It was good, though, doing these other exercises. I was able to lift as much if not more than I had when performing those exercises on their regular days. :) And I incorporated that variation on the pullups that was featured in a video Drum & Bass had posted on the H & F section a few months ago. I rested ~1 min to ~ 10 minutes depending on what I was doing there. I had one water fountain break which was not enough, I know. Overall it was a very good workout. :up:

postgym snack: 1 egg, 4 ham slices, . 2 oz peanuts, one 20 oz cup of water

This entry is made before dinner, but a 14 oz baked chicken breast is definitely on my menu tonight.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tues. March 11, 2008-Sat. March 15, 2008

Tues. March 11, 2008

breakfast: . 3 cup aotmeal, 10 oz milk, . 3 oz peanuts, 2 ham slices,

pregym: 3 oz meatloaf, 1 ketchup packet, . 1 cup of pork & beans, one 20 oz cup of water

gym:

flat bench barbell press: 4 X 4 16 total at 120 pounds

standing barbell overhead press: 4-6 X 5 27 total at 90 pounds

barbell row: 7-8 X 5 39 total at 90 pounds

dumbbell front arm raise: 10 X 5 50 total w/ 30 pounds in each hand

pullups PLUS (shoulder width palms facing each other, when dooing the pullups, my legs together brought up so that my body resembles an "L" shape): 4-5 X 5 24 total

I was at the gym ~ 1h 15 minutes. I rested ~ 54 secs to 1 minute between sets but not routines. I had two water fountain breaks.

postgym snack: 2 oz meatloaf, one ketchup packet, one 20 oz cup of water

Thurs. March 13, 2008

breakfast: 2 slices ham, 10 oz milk, corn flakes, . 4 oz peanuts

lunch/pregym: 3 slices ham, .3 oz peanuts, one 20 oz cup of water

gym:

farmer's walk: 10 feet forward and back is one rep
2-6 X 5 w/ 90 pound dumbbells in each hand

lunges PLUS: 10 feet forward and back is one rep
1-2 X 5 w/ 25 pound dumbbells in each hand

pullups PLUS (shoulder width palms facing each other): 2-4 X 3

I was at the gym ~ 45 minutes. I rested ~ 45 secs to 1 minute between sets but not routines. I had one water fountain break.

post gym snack: 2 ham slices, . 1 cup corn flakes, 6 oz milk, one 20 oz cup of water

Sat. March 15, 2008

breakfast: .3 cup raisin bran, 6 oz milk, 2 slices ham, .4 oz peanuts, green tea, one 20 oz cup of water

pregym snack: 3 oz ground beef, .2 oz peanuts

deadlifts: 4 X 1 at 290 pounds
2 X 1 at 290 pounds
2 X 1 at 290 pounds
1 X 1 at 290 pounds

pullups PLUS (palms facing each other, shoulder width): 8 X 1
5 X 2
4 X 6

I was at the gym ~ 1 h 20 minutes. I rested longer between sets this time. I just didn't have the enrgy today (more mental than physical). I had two water fountain breaks.

postgym snack: 3 oz ground beef

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tues. March 18, 2008- Fri. March 21, 2008

Tues. March 18, 2008-

breakfast: 3 slices ham, . 4 oz peanuts, green tea, . 2 cup oatmeal

pregym/snack: 4 slices ham, .1 cup raisin bran, 8 oz milk, one 20 oz cup of water

gym:

flat bench barbell press: 4 X 4 at 120 pounds

standing barbell bicep curls: 4 X 9 at 90 pounds

standing dumbbell front arm raise: 10 X 5 w/ 30 pounds in each hand

pullups PLUS: 8 X 1
4 X 2

I was at the gym ~1 h. I rested ~1 min between sets but not routines. I had two water fountain breaks.

postgym snack: 2 ham slices, .1 oz peanuts, one 20 oz cup of water

Fri. March 21, 2008

breakfast: 2 slices ham, .1 cup raisin bran, 6 oz milk, 1 small slice of pepperoni green tea

gym:

farmer's walk: 10 feet forward and 10 feet back is one rep
2-4 X 6 w/ 90 pounds in each hand

lunges PLUS: 1-2 X 6 w/ 30 pound dumbbells in each hand

pullups PLUS (shoulder width, palms facing each other): 3 X 1

lower ab exercises using dip bar: 10 X 10

I worked out at the gym about 50 minutes. I rested 1-2 minutes between sets but not routines. I had two water fountain breaks.

post gym snack: 5 slices ham, 2 slices wheat bread, 1 tsp mayonnaise, .1 cup frosted flakes, 5 oz milk

This is a shortened week because of break.

Last edited:

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mon. March 24, 2008- Sun. March 30, 2008

Mon. March 24, 2008

breakfast/pregym: .2 cup corn flakes, 15 oz milk, 4 slices ham, 3 oz baked chicken breast, green tea

gym:

flat bench dumbbell overhead press: 2-10 X 6 w/ 55 pounds in each hand

standing barbell overhead press: 1-6 X 5 at 95 pounds

standing dumbbell front arm raise: 10 X 5 w/ 30 pounds in each hand

pullups PLUS: 8 X 1

lower abs exercise using the dip machine: 10 X 6

I was at the gym ~ 1 hour. I was a little tired today, the past few days I didn't eat well, so I was affected by it. I rested 45 secs to ~2 minutes between sets but not routines. I had two water fountain breaks.

postgym snack: .1 cup raisin bran, 6 oz milk, 4 slices ham

Wed. March 26, 2008

breakfast: 4 slices ham, .1 cup raisin bran, 8 oz milk, one 20 oz cup of water, green tea

lunch: 3 slices ham, .1 cup raisin bran, 8 oz milk, one 20 oz cup of water

pregym snack: 3 oz gelatin, 3 slices ham, one 20 oz cup of water

gym:

farmer's walk (10 feet forward and back is one rep): .5-3 X 5 w/ 95 pound dumbbells in each hand*

*This is a 5 pound increase over previous workouts

lunges PLUS (10 feet forward and back is one rep): .5-2.5 X 5 w/ 30 pound dumbbells in each hand

pullups PLUS (shoulder width, plams facing each other): 2 X 1
8 X 1*

*I did the second set after my lower ab exercise. I just felt like doing another set since I'm becoming bored with pullups of late

lower ab exercise using dip machine: 10 X 10

I was at the gym ~1 h 10 minutes. I rested ~45 secs to ~1.5 minutes between sets. I had three water fountain breaks.

postgym snack: 2 slices ham, .1 cup raisin bran, 6 oz milk

dinner: 12 oz baked pork steak, 2 ketchup packets, .06 cup stuffing, one 20 oz cup of water

Sun. March 30, 3008

breakfast: .07 cup frosted flakes, 6 oz milk, 2 ham slices, green tea

pregym snack: 6 ham slices, .2 cup corn flakes, 10 oz milk, one 20 oz cup of water

gym:

deadlifts: 5 X 1 at 290 pounds
3 X 1 at 300 pounds
1 X 1 at 300 pounds
1 X 1 at 300 pounds

pullups (wide grip): 2 X 1

I was at the gym ~ 55 minutes. I rested ~ 2 minutes after the first set of deadlifts, but I took more time between the other sets. I haven't done deadlifts for at least two weeks so when I went in and straightaway lifted 290 it was easy. Because of that I felt pumped enough to just go on to 300. Then it was easy doing the first three reps at 300 pounds. After that I was just so happy that I spent much of the time marvelling in it. That is of where much of the time went, but during the last two sets of 1 X 1 I was not getting the bar above my knees. I only had four and a half hours sleep so that may have affected me a little. When I did the last 300 pound set I just went right up with it. It was good lifting after a two week deadlift hiatus. I did one set of wide grip pullups, that was before my last deadlift set. I did it just for fun, I don't like them quite as much as the other pullup variations I've been doing. So I'll start incorporating them into my workouts for that very reason. I also had three water fountain breaks.

postgym snack: 5 ham slices, .1 cup corn flakes, 10 oz milk

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tues. April 1, 2008-Sun. April 6, 2008

Tues. April 1, 2008

breakfast: 2 slices ham, 1 slice wheat bread, 1 tsp mayonnaise, green tea

lunch: 2 slices ham, 1 slice wheat bread, 1 tsp mayonnaise

snack: 2 slices ham, 1 slice wheat bread, 1 tsp mayonnaise

pregym/dinner: 2 ham slices, four slices wheat bread, 2 tsp mayonnaise, 3 oz Doritos .2 cup corn flakes, 16 oz milk, one 20 oz cup of water

gym:

standing barbell overhead press: 5 X 1 at 90 pounds
5 X 3 at 95 pounds

standing barbell bicep curl: 4 X 3 at 95 pounds

standing barbell front arm raise: 10 X 4 w/ 45 pound dumbbells in each hand

standing dumbbell overhead raise (dumbells at shoulder level): 3 X 1 w/ 45 pound dumbbells in each hand

side to side: 50 X 2 w/ 70 pound dumbbells in each hand *

* This is a 5 pound increase over previous workouts

lower ab work using dip bar (The best way to visualize this is that it is similar to when a gymnast is supporting his weight on the even parallel bars, raising his legs up until they are even with the bar then lowering them again. That is what I'm doing only I'm substituting the dip bar for the parallel bar): 10 X 5

I was at the gym ~ 50 minutes. I rested ~ 45 secs-1 minute. I had two water fountain breaks. I did the dumbbell overhead press just to do them I had done it many months ago and at 40 pounds it was very difficult. It was much easier doing them today. I was out early today and didn't expect to be unable to get much food. I had taken a few half sandwiches with me and stretched them throughout the day. I was very sleepy, too, but I was determined to get to the gym. When I got home I ate dinner and then went to the gym again. The post gym snack is light, I know. I have to get to sleep soon because I have another early and busy day tomorrow.

postgym/snack: 3 ham slices, one 20 oz cup of water

Thurs. April 3, 2008

breakfast: 4 oz meat lof, 1 ketcup packet, green tea

snack: 2 ham slices, 1 slice wheat bread, 1 tsp mayonnaise

lunch: 4 ham slices, 2 slices wheat bread, 2 tsp mayonnaise

snack: 2 ham slices, 1 slice wheat bread, 1 tsp mayonnaise

dinner/pregym: 4 slices meat pizza, . 2 cup romain salad, 3 tsp Thousand Island light dressing, one 20 oz cup of water

gym:

farmer's walk (10 feet forward and back is one set): 4 X 1 at 95 pounds*
(20 feet forward and back is one set) 2 X 2 at 95 pounds

* It felt too easy so I decided to increase the distance

lunges PLUS (10 feet forward is one set)*: 4 X 2 w/ 30 pound dumbbells in each hand

* I decided to modify this one a bit by changing the number to complete a set

side to side: 50 X 2 w/ 70 pound dumbbells in each hand

dips : 10 X 3

lower ab exercise: 10 X 5

I was at the gym ~ 35 minutes. I rested ~ 45 sec to 1 minute between sets but not routines. I had one water fountain break.

postgym/snack: 2 slices meat pizza, one 20 oz cup of water

Due to the fact that my schedule has been changed, for the time being I will be spending less time in the gym during weekdays which means I won't be completing the same number of exercise sets that I had previously. I still plan on getting my full time in on weekends for my deadlifts.

Sun. April 6, 2008

breakfast: 3 ham slices, .05 cup raisin bran, 8 oz milk, , 1 oz ground beef, green tea

snack: 3 slices ham, .05 cup raisin bran, 10 oz milk, one 20 oz cup of water

snack: .2 cup oatmeal, 2 ham slices, 8 oz milk, .06 cup peanuts,

snack/pregym: 3 slices ham, .1 cup raisin bran, 10 oz milk

gym:

deadlifts: 1 X 1 at 300 pounds
1 X 1 at 300 pounds
1 X 1 at 300 pounds
1 X 1 at 300 pounds
attempts 6 at 300 pounds

I was at the gym ~ 1 h 10 minutes. I performed four deadlifts during the first 35 minutes, spent the rest of the time resting and attempting more lifts. I had two water fountain breaks. I felt it in my butt. I was practically a$$ to gra$$ with it. I finally decided to call it a day and go home. I don't do warm up sets as you already know. I wanted to start at 300 today and do 10 reps but didn't get it this time. Still, I started right up at 300 pounds today which was good since that I had started at 290 last week.

postgym/snack: 1 ham slice, 1 oz ground beef, .08 cup raisin bran, 8 oz milk, .06 cup peanuts

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
Why no warm up? Are you mad man?
I stretch between sets. TBH, I do fine without the warm up sets. My time in the gym is limited and taking the time to load the smaller weights then rack them and get the larger weights and then do the sets then rack those weights takes up precious time. For as long as I remember I just do my sets.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you do static stretching you are at even greater risk of injury, dynamic stretching is good though.

I would seriously think about changing and doing warm ups. A LOT better on your muscles and joints and it prepares your CNS. Your risk of injury is a lot higher without a warm up.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just go for a 5 minute bike/elliptical and then do light/dynamic stretches on the main muscle groups, that should take care of warmup.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Just go for a 5 minute bike/elliptical and then do light/dynamic stretches on the main muscle groups, that should take care of warmup.
What about stair climbing? I always perform those before I work out? BTW, after Quagmire posted his opinions on the subject I skimmed the thread about stretching pre workout which has the link to stronglift's website. I haven't had a chance to read it thouroughly so I won't comment on anything, avoiding injury is always a concern of mine. Fortunately I haven't been sidelined very often due to muscle strain or pull, the only time I really had to take time off was about a year ago after I pulled my trapezius doing some rows. I'm fortunate to have avoided injuries while working out, that's why I do stretch between sets.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just warm up my big lifts, and there is no need to warm up the small ones.