My fitness journal

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll post my fitness journal for tips and commentary.

Here's what I did Jul 10 2007.

I got up ate breakfast and had two 20 oz cups of water. Then I rode my mountain bike for one hour. Interval work out alternating between fast to moderate speed.

Returned home and had one scrambled egg, one 20 oz cup of water.

Midday snack roasted peanuts.

Gym.

bench press 3-4 reps X 5 sets at 100 pounds (that's a 10 pound weight increase from last time)
horizontal rows (on machine) 10 reps X 5 sets at 150 pounds (that's an increase of 20 pounds from when I last did them last Thursday)
pull ups 4-5 reps X 5 sets
over head press 1 sets using 20 pound bar at 50 pounds. That's an improvement over last week when I felt that pain in my traps. BTW, that's better now.
over head dumbell lifts 8 reps X 2 sets at 40 pounds
side to side leans 10 reps (5 per side) X 5 sets using 40 pound dumb bells.

I was only at the gym for 30 minutes yesterday as opposed to my usual 60 + minutes. So I went from one exercise to the next with only one minute between exercises. (But there was a 5 minute delay at one point due to a phone call.) Actual work out time was about 24-25 minutes. By doing the workouts w/o rest I hope that it worked the muscles harder.

post gym snack was peanuts.

dinner was one large chicken breast (fried), some stuffing and two 20 oz cups of water.

That was it for yesterday.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
are you doing general fitness or what?

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
are you doing general fitness or what?

I'm going for lean muscular. I posted my weight and height in another thread. I'm making some progress which I'm happy about but I've got a ways to go.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
July 12, 2007

breakfast
two 20 oz cups of water

morning cardio:

1h 8min interval morning on my mountain bike. I alternated between fast and moderate spped.

post work out snack 1 egg scrambled one 20 oz cup of water.

snack roasted peanuts

gym:

bench press 3-5 reps X 5 sets 100 pounds
horizontal row 10 reps X 5 sets 150 pounds
shrugs 10 reps X 5 sets 40 pound dumb bell in each hand
shoulders 10 reps X 5 sets 40 pound dumb bells in each hand
pull ups 3-7 reps X 5 sets 25 total

I did another set w/ the dumb bells but it's a little harder to describe.

post work out meal home made beef and vegetable soup. one 20 oz cup of water.

I'm posting this before dinner.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being_the_Don said:
I'm going for lean muscular. I posted my weight and height in another thread. I'm making some progress which I'm happy about but I've got a ways to go.

Not sure how that diet would build you any muscle, 1 egg for a post workout meal?

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Not sure how that diet would build you any muscle, 1 egg for a post workout meal?

I was biking. The egg was for the post cardio workout. I also checked it on fitday, although eggs are high in protein they're also high in fats. I want to lose excess body fat, and have a lean muscular build.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
July 17, 2007

light calisthenics
breakfast 1 medium sized banana two 20 oz cups of water

pregym meal chicken fritter, two slices of bologna two 20 oz cups of water

gym

barbell press 4 reps X 5 sets 100 pounds 20 total
dips 10 reps X 3 sets 30 total
overhead press 6 reps X 5 sets 65 pounds 30 total
shrugs 10 reps X 5 sets 40 pound dumb bells in each hand 50 total
forward shoulder roll 10 reps X 5 sets 40 pound dumb bells in each hand 50 total
side to side 10 reps X 5 sets 40 pound dumb bell in each hand 50 total
pull ups 3-7 reps X 5 sets 28 total

total time 40 minutes, Average 1 min between routines

post gym meal

scrambled eggs 30 oz of water

I haven't eaten supper yet. I'm biking one hour EVERY morning now. I hadn't been to the gym since last Thursday but everything was easier than last week. A lot easier. But I'll keep the weights as they are through the end of the week.

update:

dinner scrambled eggs and 2 large polish sausages.

post dinner exercises
Burpees 10

Last edited:

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How do you function on that amount of food? If I ate that little, I'd have no energy for the gym.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
How do you function on that amount of food? If I ate that little, I'd have no energy for the gym.
Isn't that enough? This is the way I've been eating for a while now.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
no its not enough, i replied back to your pm , hit me back

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like Effort's got you sorted with food, but I just have to comment: rationing water? It's not gonna fill you - you want as much of it as you can possibly have.

Never seen a diet like that...

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cuzza said:
Sounds like Effort's got you sorted with food, but I just have to comment: rationing water? It's not gonna fill you - you want as much of it as you can possibly have.

Never seen a diet like that...
The water is curbing my craving for food. It's difficult but it's working. I've been stadily doing this for the past couple of months.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
July 19, 2007

breakfast and two 20 oz cups of water

bike ride 1h 5 min high and moderate speed intervals

post morning meal: hot dog, gelatin and one 20 oz cup of water

midday meal/pregym work out meal: chicken patty, and a small bowl of cheerios and 8 oz cup of milk

gym work out

bench press: 4 reps X 5 sets at 100 pounds 20 total

overhead press: 6 reps X 5 sets at 65 pounds 30 total

farmer's row: 3 reps (walk 15 feet and back again is one rep) X 3 sets at 60 pounds in each hand*

over head dumbbell press: 10 reps X 1 set at 40 pounds per hand (time constraint limited me to one set)

side to side: 10 reps X 5 sets at 40 pounds in each hand

pull ups 3-7 reps X 5 sets 29 total.

I only rested 1-1.5 minutes between sets and routines. I was working out for 35 minutes.

post gym meal hot dog and gelatin

I'm making this journal entry before dinner.

* this is a new workout exercise for me :)

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i pmed you back about the diet

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
July 24, 2007

breakfast:

morning work out:
bike ride 1 hour alternate fast and moderate speed

post morning meal:

raisin bran + milk, peanuts 20 oz cup of water

pre gym snack:

peanuts

gym work out:

bench press:
4-5 reps X 5 sets 21 total at 100 pounds

dumbbell clean press (*)
10 reps (5 lifts per arm) X sets 50 total at 40 pounds in each hand

standing barbell bicep curl:
3-4 reps X 6 sets 21 total at 80 pounds

farmer's walk:
3 walks X 3 sets 15 feet 60 pound dumbells in each hand

side to side
10 reps X 5 sets 50 total with 40 pound dumbbells in each hand

pull ups
4-7 reps X 5 sets 29 total

horizontal row
10 reps X 5 sets at 170 pounds*

I was at the gym for one hour, worked out for about 47 minutes. I rested 1-3 minutes between routines/sets. That was a littlelonger than I wanted but I got distracted a couple of times ;)

post gym snack:

peanuts

One my non gym days I've decided to increase the bike riding exercise to 2 hours first thing in the morning. It feels good. And ladies are showing interest when I'm doing the morning ride work out.

BTW, the about a month ago I noticed that I was developing the V shape. It is becoming more noticeable now. Progress. :)

* This is a 20 pound increase over last week.
(*) July 10 work out I did the overhead dumbbell lift at 8 X 2 at 40 pounds. The clean press is a new routine for me which is even more difficult than the overhead dumbbell press. When I looked at the earlier entry and compared it to now, I can definitely see I'm imporving b/c it was an accomplishment to lift those 40 pound dumbbells a total of 16 times. But today I squatted 10 times and lifted those 40 pound dumbbells a total of 50 times. :) It's good to keep a journal, and this is my personal accomplishment.

Note: This journal entry is made before dinner.

Last edited:

onyx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I went for lean muscular it took me like 2 month and I didnt even know about diet or anything like that. My friends are going for a similar type body as I was before I sorted myself out and they aint even got nothing on me back then that its took them a year to get

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Weigh in

July 25, 2007

breakfast:

apple, 20 oz cup of water

off day work out:

bike ride 2 h alternate fast to moderate speeds

post work out snack:
peanuts, raisin bran + milk, 20 oz cup of water

I just did my weigh in. I did two actually one just before riding and then after I got back and had some peanuts.

1st weigh in: 158 pounds
2nd 155.84 round up to 156

I'm going with the 158 pounds. But the scale said my bf % is higher than it was last month. What the heck?? I'm not going by the scale on that one. I've got more definition than before and my gains at the gym are steadily increasing. By "gains" I'm lifting more each time and my energy is constantly improving, too. I think I'll have a professional do a bf% check w/ calipers.

Of course I admit I did slip a little bit. I had three yeast doughnuts last Saturday(I haven't had any for at least three months), some cookies yesterday and I have been eating cereal and milk. I know a lot of you guys frown on the milk but I was raised on milk and I need it. I stopped drinking it for a while but I realize I need my milk in the morning. But I only started that back up a week and a half ago. That shouldn't be contributing to the bf % esp since I'm still eating less carbs now than in the past. Yeah, I need to get a profesional body fat measurement.

BTW, quicksilver: thanks for the PM, man.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
I know you've posted height and weight on another thread, but would you mind posting your height on this thread? Isee you're at 158.

to lose weight, you need to be consuming 6 meals per day @ 10 cals. per lb. of your bodyweight; right now, you should be consuming 1600 calories per day, and you should be consuming 1 1.5 grams in protein per lb. of your bodyweight.

How in the heck are you able to exercise on your current diet? I would be dragging a$$.

Donuts are o.k. one or twice a week, BTW.
I'm 5'8". I average about 1400 cals a day sometimes it's much higher. When that happens I worry about weight gain ie fat so I have to work harder the next day. As for how I'm able to do what I do on this amount of food, I just do. It's not a problem for me. And yes, I'm increasing the work outs on this amount of food. A few years ago I used to exercise and in high school I was often encouraged to go out for the football team but I didn't do it. I was into excerise for a while then stopped. I'm not ever stopping again.