Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

GUIDE TO CUTTING UP

DJ_NIGGRO

Don Juan
Reaction score
so should I have the shake first? or wouldnt the meal I take before bed still be in my stomach?

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
have a scoop of whey mixed with 4-6oz. milk as soon as you wake up before your HIIT workout.

D

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you can swim if you want, but it's not as good as HIIT.

The reason you shouldn't do HIIT on an empty stomach, especially first thing in the morning is that when you wake up your blood sugar is hella low because you haven't eaten in at least 6 hours -

therefore to do a workout where you are basically redlining your cardiovascular system - i.e. where YOU NEED BLOOD SUGAR FOR ENERGY is a recipe for a bad, bad workout.

so here's how HIIT on an empty stomach feels - YOUR BODY DOESN'T LET YOU REDLINE... you'll start to get the lactic acid burn way before you hit sub-maximal heart rate you need to do hardcore HIIT. Why doesn't it let you do this?? There is no blood sugar in the tank, so the body has to throttle you back to use what is available - i.e. muscle mass.

so do your HIIT in the morning, but take the little shot of whey before you do it.. don't worry it's not enough to make you cramp or puke, (just wait 20 minutes and you'll be fine) but it'll make a world of difference!

DJ_NIGGRO

Don Juan
Reaction score
damn I was trying to be cheap and use the swimming pool in my nhew apartment than buy an elliptical :D

thanks for the help though.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey D-

quick question....

You know how you say to cut like 8-12 weeks?? When you say to start at your baseline and "progressively cut 200 per week..." Is that where the 8-12 weeks start? Or do you start counting once you hit 1600 cals? Thanks.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag
Hey D-

quick question....

You know how you say to cut like 8-12 weeks?? When you say to start at your baseline and "progressively cut 200 per week..." Is that where the 8-12 weeks start? Or do you start counting once you hit 1600 cals? Thanks.
You start cutting from your baseline. YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO BELOW 1600... and I only put there as an extreme bottom limit. You probably want to get down to about 2000 and only go down to 1600 if you're having a really hard time getting rid of that last bit of fat.

D

AnonymousEmcee

Reaction score
Thanks D,

Your advice is solid, man. I think I'll try and throw at least one more set of sprints in there somewhere.

About trying straight sets, that sounds like a good plan. Should I lift ridiculously heavy, though, in that case? Like 4-6 rep sets or heavy negatives? Also, what do you think about upper-body-intensive cardio stuff like boxing, surfing, or rowing? I feel like that could be a nice addition to my routine and prevent some upper body muscle loss. In intervals, it seems like it'd work...

I'll probably just try this stuff out a bit. You're dead on right about paying attention to what your body tells you (or shows you, I guess). I hope other people were listening to that - it's the key to putting a good routine together.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by AnonymousEmcee
Thanks D,

Your advice is solid, man. I think I'll try and throw at least one more set of sprints in there somewhere.

About trying straight sets, that sounds like a good plan. Should I lift ridiculously heavy, though, in that case? Like 4-6 rep sets or heavy negatives?
1. Negatives should maybe be done once a month TOPS - and only for the last set of the exercise. And only then there are only a few exercises where you can do negatives effectively... Bench, maybe curls ? For bodybuilding purposes - I think it's kind of dubious...but that's just me.

2. The key is to try to pick a weight where you can do AT LEAST 4 REPS WITH PERFECT FORM but not more than 7 reps or so... so yes you are going heavy, but you are not training to absolute muscle failure. After a while that is counterproductive.. like doing negatives every workout.

Also, what do you think about upper-body-intensive cardio stuff like boxing, surfing, or rowing? I feel like that could be a nice addition to my routine and prevent some upper body muscle loss. In intervals, it seems like it'd work...
awesome cardio.. especially boxing and rowing. I used to row in college so I can vouch for the awesomeness as rowing for cardio work. It's the perfect combination of power and cardiovascular endurance. It's perfect for interval work. The problem is that many gyms don't carry rowing ergometers (the Concept II machines).

numlock

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Diesel -- My gym just opened this year, and they have 2 rowing machines. I walked by them for the first time yesterday and noticed that they were Concept II. Do you mind giving us a quick rundown on how to get an effective workout (HIIT?) from a rowing machine? Basically how to use to the damn thing so I don't look like an idiot trying to figure out why the cord is stuck :p

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by numlock
Hey Diesel -- My gym just opened this year, and they have 2 rowing machines. I walked by them for the first time yesterday and noticed that they were Concept II. Do you mind giving us a quick rundown on how to get an effective workout (HIIT?) from a rowing machine? Basically how to use to the damn thing so I don't look like an idiot trying to figure out why the cord is stuck :p

Concept II gather dust in most gyms because people don't know how to use them. (i.e. proper rowing technique)

Sorry, but I'd have to do that in person. try here www.concept2.com

D

Ar7

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eltosian
No, three times a week initially. I was losing weight a bit too fast the first week and a half and switched to twice a week, which worked well. Three days a week is a bit too much on the knee joints, and two is more sensible, IMO.
Dude are you for real??

This sounds fu@king amazingly easy :).. I am gonna give it a go immediately...

Lately been adding a few access pounds myself.. too much KFC :D

Reaction score
I have owned my own personal training business for over 16 years. I have trained and competed with body builders (natural) competitions.

I enjoyed reading your post.

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
By the way, what's up with deadlifts with alternating grip. I just don't see the rationale behind it.

NMMWCR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Aztec
By the way, what's up with deadlifts with alternating grip. I just don't see the rationale behind it.
Are you lifting as heavy as you can go? I know I would drop the bar on my toes without an alternated grip. Some people prefer to use talc and wrist straps to keep the bar from slipping out from their fingers.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Aztec
I think it's because you are not allowed to use straps in powerlifting competition.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
is it possible to continue gaining weight but keep the same body fat level?

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WORKEROUTER
is it possible to continue gaining weight but keep the same body fat level?
you would pretty much have to figure you out your precise BMR.. that, right now, is pretty much impossible... you can use formulas to estimate, that's about it..

unless you are super precise with your dieting, generally you are going to put on a couple of percent.. especially on your first bulking cycle. That's why you keep diaries of what you eat, once you are more experienced, it is totally possible to bulk without increasing body fat significantly. But like I said, it's an inexact science, one that is only perfected to the individual through trial and error.

D

Samim

Don Juan
Reaction score
D>

I've spent the past three months trying to cut using my own methods. I only recently found this site and your guide. Unfortunately, my cutting plan was very poorly designed with little research done and isn't anywhere close to the method you laid out. I simply stopped eating and started working out; and now I'm stuck.

Currently I'm below the 1600/day calorie minimum and I do cardio twice a day for 45 minute intervals. In the past 3 months I've lost over 30 lbs: some fat, some muscle; but have yet to lose the remainder of my gut. I'm 6'1 and down from 196 to 165 and am around 8% body fat - the vast majority of it in my abdomen. Imagine a marathon runner with a small gut; this is obviously not the body type I want.

The past two weeks I've started doing sprint running sets and have noticed little difference. My metabolism has shut down and I'm burning little fat; holding constant at 165.

Where do I go from here?

I look back and see 3 months of intense exercise and sacrifice and don't want to lose what I see as progress. Thirty pounds is thirty pounds that I don't want back, so I'm hesitant to increase my calorie intake. Also, I still have fat on my lower two abs, I'd like to see this gone; eating more calories isn't going to cure those last five pounds.

When you get some time, I'd appreciate some suggestions. Your advice on the forums is golden; and I'm at my end here. I honestly don't know how to correct my metabolic lock without gaining all the weight back.

Thanks.

Sam