Unpopular Opinion: I feel muscles are overrated.

LTG71

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Correct, BUT no doubt they'd notice his confidence, his swag, the raw masculine energy he emanates from looking as he does and the abundance of testosterone he gains from his workouts.

Never underestimate a man's energy, it trumps height, status, even looks imo.

And when he does take off his shirt? Lord have mercy!!! :love:
Y’all missed the most important comments in this whole discussion, the ones from the woman.

Being physically fit builds confidence and women are attracted to that energy. Sure, there is a minority that like super jacked guys, but the majority wouldn’t mind a guy with a little muscle.

Working on everything on the list is good, but remove height. Not much you can do about height, work with what you were born with. Zach Efron is 5’ 8” and pretty jacked by average standards. If he were built like Johan Hill, the ladies wouldn’t even notice him.

Like some have already said, it also depends on genetics. I laugh when ppl I know say they don’t want to lift weights because they don’t want to “get big.” B!tch please! Nobody is going to look like Dwayne Johnson going to the gym 3 days a week.

Do it for yourself. Builds testosterone, discipline and confidence which creates positive energy. Abs start in the kitchen so stop eating crap foods.

Barrister

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No one is overweight because of working out. They are overweight because they eat and drink too much. Or have a bad diet of junk food and garbage.

The most successful diet book anyone could ever write would be one page and contain the sentence "Stop eating too much cr@p."

I know people who look great and all they do is practice yoga every other day. They look great because they eat well.
It took me awhile to realize just this. Being in good shape (re: thin/lean) comes down to probably 90% diet and only 10% exercise. Not the reverse. Back in college I was exercising both aerobically and anaerobically like a machine but was eating and drinking way too much. So while I had more muscle than ever before I wouldn't say I looked as good as I even do now even though I lift a fraction of what I was then. I would go a step farther and say it comes down to eating very little to remain lean.

Pedrito0906

Banned
Reaction score
It took me awhile to realize just this. Being in good shape (re: thin/lean) comes down to probably 90% diet and only 10% exercise. Not the reverse. Back in college I was exercising both aerobically and anaerobically like a machine but was eating and drinking way too much. So while I had more muscle than ever before I wouldn't say I looked as good as I even do now even though I lift a fraction of what I was then. I would go a step farther and say it comes down to eating very little to remain lean.
Its a combo of diet, exercise and rest. Hitting the muscle groups at least 1 time per week is good, best is 2 times. But you need to rest well for them to recover.

If you eat very little to stay lean, unless you are genetically gifted going to the gym once per week, will not be good, because there is not a stimulus for the body to retain the muscle, the body wants to retain fat, not muscles, therefore eating that low will make you lose a ton of muscle.

You want to stay lean: hit the gym hard 3 x week and eat in a caloric deficit or at maintenance

You wanna build muscle: hit the gym hard 3 x week and eat in a caloric surplus.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is one guy that looks like a freaking rooster, upper body like a pro-body builder and the legs of a chicken. I see this guy work out all the time, and you would think by looking at him that he does no leg work... that would be wrong... I see him lifting with his legs all the time... he has strong @ss legs, but his legs just do not have the lower body mass so that his body is proportional.
That’s because he uses gear. Steroids super juice the shoulders and traps. The upper body becomes wildly disproportionate to the lower body. A lifetime natural athlete will never look like that.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That’s because he uses gear. Steroids super juice the shoulders and traps. The upper body becomes wildly disproportionate to the lower body. A lifetime natural athlete will never look like that.
You only partially know what you're talking about.... Yes, equipoise will manifest a look that leadas to traps and shoulders. Though the rest of the compounds will generally not do that. It's largely genetics what the legs are able to do...

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fasting/keto helps my mental health and allows me to work long periods focused, really fires up my brain. I also manage stress a lot better and problem solve/find solutions quickest. Although that could also be because I’ve stopped drinking and smoking. Fasting also allowed me to destroy my cravings for carbs/alcohol/drugs.
This is exactly me also. I dig not cooking so often, and the clean-up. I notice people overeating during the day now.

If you eat very little to stay lean, unless you are genetically gifted going to the gym once per week, will not be good, because there is not a stimulus for the body to retain the muscle, the body wants to retain fat, not muscles, therefore eating that low will make you lose a ton of muscle.
I can verify. Now I have Dumbbells all over the place and a cheesy-bench in the living room. I use no system, just
Keep muscles constantly on the go. This is a good thread.

Pedrito0906

Banned
Reaction score
You only partially know what you're talking about.... Yes, equipoise will manifest a look that leadas to traps and shoulders. Though the rest of the compounds will generally not do that. It's largely genetics what the legs are able to do...
Yeah everything is about genetics, I used EQ and didn't do $hit for my legs, and besides the beta male will be the only one judging another guy for his legs and the disproportion of his upper body, that's more like women saying "oh look her shoes don't match her dress"

Barrister

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its a combo of diet, exercise and rest. Hitting the muscle groups at least 1 time per week is good, best is 2 times. But you need to rest well for them to recover.

You want to stay lean: hit the gym hard 3 x week and eat in a caloric deficit or at maintenance

You wanna build muscle: hit the gym hard 3 x week and eat in a caloric surplus.
My workout/diet regime has been fairly consistent for a number of years now but I workout either running or lifting 6 days a week. I am always lean and toned and the women always are complimentary. I am definitely not nearly as muscular as I was back in my college/law school days, but the interesting thing is the women don't care at all. I have been through more women in the past 4 years than in the rest of my adult life combined. Hence my original post in this thread that women care very little about how big your muscles are if you simply maintain good physique.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah everything is about genetics, I used EQ and didn't do $hit for my legs, and besides the beta male will be the only one judging another guy for his legs and the disproportion of his upper body, that's more like women saying "oh look her shoes don't match her dress"
II don't know if I agree about the judging aspect. That's half the point of bodybuilding. To obtain balance that surpasses scrutiny.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That’s cope. Until you can squat 400 lbs without using drugs there are no excuses about shvtty leg genetics.
Good. You agree that genetics play a large role in leg development... Who says rangermike's rooster frame friend wasn't squatting 400?

lost_blackbird

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've gotten pretty fat over the last few months. 6'0 and 15st 2lbs. Mostly beer and inactivity but
quitting weed and tobacco has seen a definite fast upswing in weight, plus Christmas gluttony.
I'm on day 6 without booze, prior to that I've had one day where I haven't consumed alcohol in
the last 3 and a half years. I'm going to see how much difference OMAD and cutting the booze
out completely makes in the next month. The only reason I'm doing this is because I've outgrown
my motorcycle leathers and I don't want to buy more.

Snag87

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No one is overweight because of working out. They are overweight because they eat and drink too much. Or have a bad diet of junk food and garbage.

The most successful diet book anyone could ever write would be one page and contain the sentence "Stop eating too much cr@p."

I know people who look great and all they do is practice yoga every other day. They look great because they eat well.
Agreed. If the average American had that regimen with no modification to their diet, essentially none would lose weight. Changing your diet requires far more discipline than going to the gym 3 hours a week.

Pedrito0906

Banned
Reaction score
That’s cope. Until you can squat 400 lbs without using drugs there are no excuses about shvtty leg genetics.
Who the fvck cares about how much you squat? Is that your ego typing? That you squat 400 lbs without drugs?

I have a friend who squats 305 and his legs are skinny as $hit, weights don't equal muscles a lot of times.

Pedrito0906

Banned
Reaction score
II don't know if I agree about the judging aspect. That's half the point of bodybuilding. To obtain balance that surpasses scrutiny.
Nobody in here is a bodybuilder bro what are you saying? Don't confuse the typical guy wanting to be somewhat big and lean with bodybuilding. Judging is for bodybuilding hows, but if you go to a gym and start judging a big guy with skinny legs, why the do you care in looking other mens physique if you're not competing? Its like saying "oh look I lift more than this guy even though he's bigger than me"

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nobody in here is a bodybuilder bro what are you saying? Don't confuse the typical guy wanting to be somewhat big and lean with bodybuilding. Judging is for bodybuilding hows, but if you go to a gym and start judging a big guy with skinny legs, why the do you care in looking other mens physique if you're not competing? Its like saying "oh look I lift more than this guy even though he's bigger than me"
Because bodybuilding is the act of increasing lean muscle mass while minimizing fat. Doesn't matter if one is at stage level or not. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Who the fvck cares about how much you squat? Is that your ego typing? That you squat 400 lbs without drugs?
No, let me rephrase this:

You have no right to complain about leg genetics if you can’t squat at least 400 lbs. You haven’t earned the right to complain. You need to lift more weight.

I have a friend who squats 305 and his legs are skinny as $hit, weights don't equal muscles a lot of times.
305 is peanuts. No wonder his legs are skinny. His form is probably crap too.

Wrong. Strength = Size.