"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

Distance

BJP1991

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Messages
471
Reaction score
209
Age
35
What sort of distance would you call “too far” to date or have a plate with someone?

for example, a girl I met a while back got in touch with me and said she wants to meet up for a date. However she lives like 2 hours away.

Thoughts? Seems too far for me.
 

"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

cola

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
2,224
Reaction score
3,002
Location
Baltimore
It’s doable if you like to drive and she makes the trip 50% of the time.
 

Tilex

Master Don Juan
Joined
Apr 12, 2018
Messages
898
Reaction score
1,029
That's a very long drive.
And nothing good will come out of this.
You have to get burned once in your lifetime, so your gut knows not to do that again.


One of these two things will happen:

1) She'll flake by the time you arrive. Making you look completely foolish.

2) She'll use this opportunity as a power grab.
Because you drove for 2 hours to see her, that automatically gives her the upper hand.
If she's a gold digger then at this point you've already fallen for her bait.
 

RickTheToad

Moderator
Joined
Apr 21, 2018
Messages
6,603
Reaction score
5,138
Location
Bridgeport, CT
Within 45 mins to an hour. In NYC Metro, that is how it is. NY-CT-NJ the traffic is crazy. It can take 20 mins just to go 6 miles; and I am not talking about Manhattan or Brooklyn. There are so many freakin lights and single lane routes in Fairfield, Connecticut and Westchester, New York, most people go insane due to the traffic. You need to make it work. However, if she's head over heals for you, she'll drive to you.
 

"She Wants a Man, Not a Boy"

You asked her if she wanted to grab coffee. Then you asked if the time worked. Then you asked if the place was okay. Then you asked if she'd prefer tea.

Four questions. Four chances for her to say no. Four signals that you're terrified of making a decision.

Plan it. Pick the place. Pick the time. Tell her where to meet you. She'll either show up or she won't.

Either way, you look like a man instead of a scared little boy.

Read more...

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 18, 2015
Messages
10,537
Reaction score
8,538
Age
37
Within 45 mins to an hour. In NYC Metro, that is how it is. NY-CT-NJ the traffic is crazy. It can take 20 mins just to go 6 miles; and I am not talking about Manhattan or Brooklyn. There are so many freakin lights and single lane routes in Fairfield, Connecticut and Westchester, New York, most people go insane due to the traffic. You need to make it work. However, if she's head over heals for you, she'll drive to you.
I also live in Metro NYC. My limit is 1 hour drive or 2 hours via public transportation. I'm more lenient with public transportation because unlike driving it is productive time and there is no stress involved. I've never had an issue using the NJ Transit Commuter Rail or getting chicks from the boroughs all the way out to my crib in Jersey. This year alone I banged 18 new chicks. 10 were driving distance within an hour (all in North / Central New Jersey), the other 8 were in NYC. It works out fine.

Me personally, I won't do Philadelphia. It is 1.5 hour drive and 90 miles away. That's way outside of my preferred range. If I have to put a distance on it, I cap it at 50 miles.
 

KindredSpiritzz

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Nov 1, 2019
Messages
498
Reaction score
500
Age
60
Location
Wisconsin
I'll spin plates up to 3 hrs away if she's hot. I actually like it when they don't live to close cause then I never have to worry about random pop ins or drivebys when I have someone else here. I just rotate weekends with them, sometimes going to their house sometimes having them here. Im not looking for anything serious so it works pretty well and when I dump them they never show up on my door step crying.
 

RickTheToad

Moderator
Joined
Apr 21, 2018
Messages
6,603
Reaction score
5,138
Location
Bridgeport, CT
I also live in Metro NYC. My limit is 1 hour drive or 2 hours via public transportation. I'm more lenient with public transportation because unlike driving it is productive time and there is no stress involved. I've never had an issue using the NJ Transit Commuter Rail or getting chicks from the boroughs all the way out to my crib in Jersey. This year alone I banged 18 new chicks. 10 were driving distance within an hour (all in North / Central New Jersey), the other 8 were in NYC. It works out fine.

Me personally, I won't do Philadelphia. It is 1.5 hour drive and 90 miles away. That's way outside of my preferred range. If I have to put a distance on it, I cap it at 50 miles.
I hate public transportation. The MTA always breaks down at the worst times. It was easier when I was living in Queens, but in Bridgeport, way too long some times, and way too expensive. I'd rather drive to Philly than go to Manhattan (or BKYLN - that's a nightmare nowadays).
 

"Stop Asking Your Friends What to Text Her"

Your buddy Dave has been single for three years and thinks "hey u up" is a valid strategy. Your other buddy Mike just got dumped and told you to "just be yourself."

You showed them her text. You asked them to decode the emoji. You drafted four responses and sent the screenshot to the group chat for a vote.

She's been waiting forty minutes.

Put the phone down. Stop crowdsourcing your love life. Type something that sounds like you. Hit send. Then go do literally anything else with your evening.

Read more...

Billtx49

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 23, 2013
Messages
5,989
Reaction score
5,410
Location
DFW
This is unrealistic unless you live in New York City. There is simply not enough volume in such a small radius.
Right. OP’s initial question about travel distance and/or time factor depends on where we live. Both the population density and traffic flow rate/gridlock probabilities being the determining factors.

Where I live in Texas, I can access about 1 million people within 40mi./40min. High traffic flow…

Yes there is a higher population density where you are, but an extremely lower traffic flow rate verging on gridlock and public transport on overload.

So, I think the only doable answers here is the amount of travel time we are willing to personally invest to meet a date and not focusing on location.…
 

biggoal

Banned
Joined
Jul 19, 2019
Messages
3,638
Reaction score
780
Age
42
I will go up to 60 miles! I had OLD dates from 60 miles. I almost went on an OLD date 90 miles away but when I suggested she meet half way for the first date she ghosted me because she had to find a baby sitter since she doesn't want to leave her teen alone more than an hour.

Glad I didn't beta and suggest meeting her up there. Knowing my luck I would have drive 180 miles round trip and she would flake and no show. I will go up to 100 miles away, trek across the Sahara if there is pvssy!
 

biggoal

Banned
Joined
Jul 19, 2019
Messages
3,638
Reaction score
780
Age
42
Right. OP’s initial question about travel distance and/or time factor depends on where we live. Both the population density and traffic flow rate/gridlock probabilities being the determining factors.

Where I live in Texas, I can access about 1 million people within 40mi./40min. High traffic flow…

Yes there is a higher population density up north, but an extremely lower traffic flow rate and public transport on overload.

So, I think the only doable answers here are the amount of travel time we are willing to put up with per our location specifics to meet a date and not location.…
That's not fair! Why can't I live in an area like you with a lot of access?
 

Trump

Banned
Joined
Mar 12, 2011
Messages
3,000
Reaction score
1,669
a girl I met a while back got in touch with me and said she wants to meet up for a date. However she lives like 2 hours away.
“I would love to meet up for a date. Let me know when you are in town, I’ll take you out for the time of your life.”
 

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 18, 2015
Messages
10,537
Reaction score
8,538
Age
37
I hate public transportation. The MTA always breaks down at the worst times. It was easier when I was living in Queens, but in Bridgeport, way too long some times, and way too expensive. I'd rather drive to Philly than go to Manhattan (or BKYLN - that's a nightmare nowadays).
You’d rather drive 2 hours to Philly through the awful CBE and GWB but not take the Metro North into Grand Central? Lol, alright.

I get it. From Central NJ I do Boroughs only. Long Island, Connecticut, Westchester, and Rockland County are all out of the question.
 

"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

biggoal

Banned
Joined
Jul 19, 2019
Messages
3,638
Reaction score
780
Age
42
“I would love to meet up for a date. Let me know when you are in town, I’ll take you out for the time of your life.”
It should be more like "when are you off work? What day is good and I'll drive up there." So you drive 4 hours round trip.
 

RickTheToad

Moderator
Joined
Apr 21, 2018
Messages
6,603
Reaction score
5,138
Location
Bridgeport, CT
You’d rather drive 2 hours to Philly through the awful CBE and GWB but not take the Metro North into Grand Central? Lol, alright.

I get it. From Central NJ I do Boroughs only. Long Island, Connecticut, Westchester, and Rockland County are all out of the question.
Just giving an example, nothing literal. Bridgeport, CT to GSC is no picnic. So, I hate going to the city. Too many people, too expensive, and too much traffic/waste of time. You're 30, I'm 38, I ain't got time for that sh it.
 

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 18, 2015
Messages
10,537
Reaction score
8,538
Age
37
Just giving an example, nothing literal. Bridgeport, CT to GSC is no picnic. So, I hate going to the city. Too many people, too expensive, and too much traffic/waste of time. You're 30, I'm 38, I ain't got time for that sh it.
The train comfortable as fvck. I use em for naps, pregaming, emails, eating, anything. Driving sucks. Then again I see Bridgeport is closer to 2 hour train ride. My town express trains are only an hour.

Then again, I really enjoy NYC so I’m biased. City of Greatness. There’s opportunity for everyone in NYC.
 
Last edited:

Spaz

Banned
Joined
Jan 14, 2018
Messages
8,337
Reaction score
6,878
Given the amount of cars in today's cities, even a short distance of 10 kilometres could somehow take up to 45 minutes.
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

Top