Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

why do you lift weights?

pyros

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been lifting weihgts for a few years now but I find it boring as fvck, never really enjoyed it.
Before this, when I was in college, I did martial arts for several years and I did enjoy it very much, but after I started working and being and 'adult', going to the gym fits my schedule better, because I can go anytime I want, whereas if I want to attend a martial arts class it has a fixed schedule, I have to drive to get there, etc.

I go to the gym for several reasons, but as I said, I do not like it, but I like some of the results:
a) I can go anytime I have free time, be it Tuesday, Thursday at 18:00 or at 20:00, Sunday at 10:00 etc.
b) I dont like to have spaguetti arms, so lifting weights helps me having more muscle, and a nicer body.
c) I like to have more strength than the average guy.
d) Our bodies MUST EXCERSISE to function well, and to avoid future health problems.
e) Women notice I work out.

However, many times I dont see the point because:
a) It is really boring. (when I did martial arts it was fun, and I enjoyed it a lot)
b) It is a lonely activity. I go there, I lift the weights, I may say hi to one or two guys I see regularly, and that's it.

I cannot do both activities (gym + martial arts) because, really, I dont have that much free time, neither I have the energy to lift heavy one day and do 100 kicks the next day.
Also, I go to salsa lessons once a week for one hour. I enjoy it, not as much as when I did martial arts, but it's fun, and it allows me to meet girls.

So, on the right hand I see many beneficial results, but on the left hand it bores me a lot, and sometimes it seems pointless. Besides, since I dont really like it, its like a chore to me, so it doesnt increase my happiness lol, whereas martial arts did.

I wanted to know whay you guys think.
Do you lift weights?
do you enjoy it?
why do you do it?
Thoughts about my case?

parkthebus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do lift weights. I wouldn't say I majorly enjoy it, but I don't think about anything other than lifting while I'm there and I er on the side of looking forward to going. I've only been going three months and have been drinking too much so haven't seen many results but I feel good knowing that I've just worked towards something I've always wanted, which is a good body and to get laid easier. I don't like going gym with other people because I like taking my workout seriously. The only thing I don't like is cardio because it's uncomfortable and I have nothing else to think about other than the discomfort. Much prefer jogging but a stationary bike is far better for leg muscle recovery due to minimal impact.

It sounds like you don't really have any goals at the gym, only the results. What do you specifically want to achieve while at the gym?

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I lift. I also dance. My goals are to maintain tone and definition and maintain strength. I used to run 40 miles a week but have an old soccer knee that complains a great deal or swells when I run too much these days.

I do low weight/high reps, have an established routine I run through when I go to the gym and I find I actually enjoy the alone time at the gym. My circuit doesn't take too much time, maybe 30 minutes. I also walk briskly between sets and stride laps while walking several after striding (my gym has an indoor track as many do). This interval training seems not to aggravate the knee if done in moderation and the lifting and walking is low impact. My whole workout between lifting and intervals takes 45 min to an hour.

While I lift I also meditate. Like you I find the lifting kinda boring but once I decide I'm going then I concentrate on being aware within my body as well as I think about various goals I am working toward in my life, how I am doing on them, and what I need to do to keep moving forward. So I use the time mentally to concentrate on goals or if I'm actively doing bench press for example, then I'm actively focused on my breathing and completion of the set.

This helps me re-engage with myself and feel mentally refreshed as I am getting physical exercise. I used to enjoy the "think" time I had while running (I'm not a turn on music and tune out type exerciser) and the lifting and interval training allows me this time to refocus.

yuppee

Banned
Reaction score
cardio is not boring if you have a good video on the tube as you ride the bike, row, etc.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I started lifting to
1) Be stronger
2) Look better
3) Get exercise

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because I love it...I like the challenge, I like the results and I like the health benefits. Not to mention the way it turns you into a bedroom beast.

Looking good without a shirt on is a nice side benefit.

Mr Wright

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I genuinely enjoy the act of lifting and going to every workout trying to be better the last one and it's that desire which keeps me disciplined in terms of my diet when I'm not at the gym. I also enjoy looking good.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
You might be getting bored if you don't bring your headphones with you. Working out is like a good therapy or meditation session for me. The benefits of working out include:

- More energy
- Better health (which helps reduce chances of major illnesses)
- Increases your physical attraction level
- Good form of therapy and meditation
- A great avenue to let off some anger, frustration, and steam
- Helps increase self-esteem and confidence
- Helps increase levels of focus

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifting weights is about self-love. It's also one of the most physical ways to set a goal and reach it.

My program is simple: Add 5 lbs to the bar with each successful workout. Over time, the gains are incredible. You'll plateau when you start reaching your full genetic potential.

yungballa

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I like lifting. It's hard work, but it's worth it. Once I see the results it really motivates me to work harder, but that's just me.

Reasons why I like lifting:

1) I like to see the results I produce after my hard work.

2) Partially for the ladies (I'll go out there and admit it. A lot of guys on here bullsh1t and say they don't lift to look good for women) and partially just because I like doing it and the benefits from lifting.

I wouldn't say lifting gives me more confidence or anything. I'll still be as confident as I was before I was lifting. I don't like to have most of my confidence based on how I appear physically. Because looks fade away, and I want to be confident in my skin regardless of how I look. I'm confident just simply being myself.

3) It's weird, but I like to feel the sore feeling in my body after I go to the gym. It makes me feel like I really worked hard. Plus, I feel all strong and manly instead of feeling like a stick after working out.

yuppee

Banned
Reaction score
you might be able to add 5 lbs per week, on legs, half that for arms, in early stages, but once you reach about 90% of your potential (about a year, if you are adquately motivated and discipline) the gains come hard and slowly. but about age 70, you start losing muscle mass, no matter what you do. and it happens at 50 if you're a lazy slob. So, if you'd like to be still fvcking when you're 80, you'd better build some mass now.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Starting working out because while I was tall I was very skinny (135 pounds 6' during highschool). During college I put on around 10 pounds a year and life quality changed.

-more overt women hitting on me
-more girls would have "crushes" on me than before
-I don't feel random bones creaking when I lift heavy stuff anymore
-look better in sex

To me it was because my level of game wasn't that good at first. So being skinny, I felt the same thing that Pook did, that the very beautiful women thought themselves above me. The more I lifted 1) the less game I needed 2) the more natural game came to me due to ****iness derived from lifting. That's why people tend to see results relatively quickly from lifting.

Also I feel it helps keep me out of the Betabux/friendzone territory. I'm in medical school and if I was extremely skinny I would instantly be put into the betabux/friendzone area. Whereas in my bigger state, it comes as a surprise I go to medical school.

Yes it can be boring at times but imo and I think you think so too, the benfits outweight the time put into it. Maybe go for shorter workouts?

Maximus Rex

Banned
Reaction score
I lift weights so I don't end up looking flabby and sick like Larry Holmes.

SmooveMooves

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why I lift weights
  • Makes me feel more energetic
  • Makes me feel better about myself
  • Increases confidence
  • People respect you when you're bigger than them
  • Women are more attracted to you
  • It makes me look better
  • Making progress releases endorphins
  • Increases your testosterone
If your beginning to get bored working out lower the time of your sessions. I go to the gym everyday but I only workout for 45-60 minutes at a time so I don't mind. Just bring some headphones, have a set goal, and enjoy the alone time. As for cardio, I don't know how interested you are, but I get mine from basketball. Its fun and you don't even think about it. However if basketball didn't exist I would never do it haha.

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
  • Makes me feel more energetic
  • Makes me feel better about myself
  • Increases confidence
  • People respect you when you're bigger than them
  • Women are more attracted to you
  • It makes me look better
  • Making progress releases endorphins
  • Increases your testosterone.
^^^ this

Strength - weights and core building
Endurance - cardio
Flexibility - stretches

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Weights obviously have many benefits, and sessions can be enjoyable and addicting. But I have to admit it can get monotonous at times. If it didn't, no one would need to listen to music or whatever while they lift. Try lifting for 30 years - there's only so much variation you can throw in.

Reykhel

Banned
Reaction score
It sounds like you do love martial arts more than lifting weights...

Life is short, do what you love...

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Weights obviously have many benefits, and sessions can be enjoyable and addicting. But I have to admit it can get monotonous at times. If it didn't, no one would need to listen to music or whatever while they lift. Try lifting for 30 years - there's only so much variation you can throw in.
Variation is a myth. I do the same 6 exercises spread into "day 1" and "day 2." Been doing the same routine for 3 years. Gained 15 lbs and the BF went down to 8%.

Last edited:

ChrisFloyd

Banned
Reaction score
Use roids.

It gives fast results and so you are more motivated.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because I wanna be better than the other people, because I dont accept the fact that a bad genetics of which I have no fault dictate the kind of activities I can do, the kind of feedbacks I get from men and women or what I see in the mirror.

Needless to say how your life changes once you get a decent body, the better it gets your body the better it gets your life, from within and from outside.