one tough martial arts teacher!

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
believe it or not, some men even pay women for that sh!t...

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am 5"11 190 pounds and a blue belt in brazilian jiu-jitsu. I bet you a 100,000 dollars I would crack his fvcking head.

Do you think these karate, kung-fu idiots could take on a real mma fighter.
No way.

I would take a highschool football linebacker to embarass him. He is just a punk bully.

Bruce lee himself was a phony. He was all myth. Get a guy like bj penn and he would kill bruce lee.

The gracie family has revolutionized martial arts. Bruce lee did not do anything for martial arts he was a conman.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
Bruce lee himself was a phony. He was all myth. Get a guy like bj penn and he would kill bruce lee.
I'm not so sure about that. Bruce Lee trained hard, for hours, EVERY single day. All that training is worth something. It wasn't just a sport, martial arts was his entire life. I don't know about a Bruce Lee vs. BJ Penn fight, but Bruce Lee versus someone in the UFC of his same weight class would probably be a damn good fight. No one can deny that Lee was one hell of a striker and accurate as f*ck. Plus you look at the physique he had and the dude was in incredible shape. If he was alive today, he'd get some BJJ under his belt, and I think he'd do hella damage in the cage.

armadon

Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
I am 5"11 190 pounds and a blue belt in brazilian jiu-jitsu. I bet you a 100,000 dollars I would crack his fvcking head.

No way.

I would take a highschool football linebacker to embarass him. He is just a punk bully.

The gracie family has revolutionized martial arts. Bruce lee did not do anything for martial arts he was a conman.

geezus dude. shut the f*ck up!

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
I'm not so sure about that. Bruce Lee trained hard, for hours, EVERY single day. All that training is worth something. It wasn't just a sport, martial arts was his entire life. I don't know about a Bruce Lee vs. BJ Penn fight, but Bruce Lee versus someone in the UFC of his same weight class would probably be a damn good fight. No one can deny that Lee was one hell of a striker and accurate as f*ck. Plus you look at the physique he had and the dude was in incredible shape. If he was alive today, he'd get some BJJ under his belt, and I think he'd do hella damage in the cage.
Did anyone here actually see bruce lee fight? Post some footage. I am skeptical about a guy who has never fought anyone. Bruce lee was great in katas and breaking boards, hitting a heavy bag. But until your in a real fight you can't say someone is a champion.

That being said I agree that bruce lee would have had bjj in his disposal if he was around today. I am not sure how well he would have done in the cage. I feel that muythai is a stronger standup style than wing chun.

If karate, kungfu and all those other arts were so good than how come there is not even one UFC fighter who uses that garbage.

JOE rogan who was a US national champion in TKD said it himseld that it is a useless martial art.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
Did anyone here actually see bruce lee fight? Post some footage. I am skeptical about a guy who has never fought anyone. Bruce lee was great in katas and breaking boards, hitting a heavy bag. But until your in a real fight you can't say someone is a champion.

That being said I agree that bruce lee would have had bjj in his disposal if he was around today. I am not sure how well he would have done in the cage. I feel that muythai is a stronger standup style than wing chun.

If karate, kungfu and all those other arts were so good than how come there is not even one UFC fighter who uses that garbage.

JOE rogan who was a US national champion in TKD said it himseld that it is a useless martial art.
You will not find any one in the UFC who claims one style as his own. Chuck Liddell has a black belt in Karate. I'm sure he has incorporated some of that Karate training into his overall style when he throws his occasional kick. As for TKD, I've seen the reverse back kick work in the UFC and that is taken from TKD. Pretty much every martial art has at least some moves that would be effective in the cage.

I think the problem with something like Kung Fu is that the moves are too complex for most people to pull off with the speed necessary to use in an MMA environment. Personally, just using my jab and cross, I can throw out about 4-6 punches within one second. Straight up boxing style punches are very effective AND quick. A Kung Fu guy may be able to hit hard with his complex kicks, but you can see them coming from a mile away unless he's very fast. Plus the Kung Fu stance doesn't work well in MMA, neither does the TKD stance. Both have the fighters sort of turned to their side with their weight on their back leg. TKD punches are horrible(I too TKD in highschool), sh*t like punching from the hip. Straight up wack.

I have seen at least one style of Kung Fu that looks pretty damn impressive to me, Wing Tsun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM676yGD_5w&mode=related&search=

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:

No way.

Uh, where do you think all of those techniques came from? The Gracies didn't invent any of them. You'll see them all in traditional Jujutsu ryh-ha that came along hundred of years before the Gracies.

Not to say that I don't respect the Gracies, I've trained with Royce and Renzo. They may have modernized it, but a Gracie figher will still get their ass kicked by a seasoned traditional jujutsu-ka.

The only guy who has really done some innovative things with MMA since the Gracies is Randy Couture. He'll have a style named after him one day. That said, you obviously know nothing about real martial arts or the UFC. MMA is designed to conform to UFC rules, period. Take it out of the octagon and it's a whole different story.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Suicide said:
That said, you obviously know nothing about real martial arts or the UFC. MMA is designed to conform to UFC rules, period. Take it out of the octagon and it's a whole different story.
Pretty much. MMA has become a "style" all its own. And no one "style" can dominate all other "styles", although that's what many martial artists would have you believe. Saying you can beat someone because you have a better fighting style than them is like saying you can draw better than someone because you have a sharper pencil.

Not to mention that in any street fight, the person who wins is the first one with a gun. :D

As for Mr. Chong-Li wannabe from the video, yeah...someone ought to kick his ass. I'm all for discipline in a class like that, but christ.

BTW...how did you get to train with the Gracies?

Rudra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting, why does every style of martial arts come with the absolute imperative to brag about it until you´re blue in the face...? Muay Thai kicks the shyt out of Krav Maga beats Kickboxing to pulp annihilates Brasilian Wrestling makes a pretzel out of Ving Chun bla bla bla bla...

Like 15 y.o. guys measuring their little weenies...

Little they are indeed BTW. Guys, it´s 2007 outside, not the Dark Ages (tho that´s arguable). Martial arts is good for staying fit and might be necessary if you´re growing up in an environment where the fist is a viable argument. Good until 18 until adult jurisdiction kicks in.

In adult real life, it won´t get you anywhere. Real street fights are meaner and dirtier than anybody with a normal socialization might imagine. It´s glocks and shivs, not roundhouse kicks and double nelsons..If somebody´s out to knock your block off in business, then it´s most likely somebody with trigger time, who has killed people before, who has absolutely no moral qualms and will rip you in two. And wipe his acecrack with your third dan in Shotokan or whatever.

Get real, guys.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
squirrels said:
Not to mention that in any street fight, the person who wins is the first one with a gun. :D
Not the gun crap again. I mean unless you routinely go fighting gangbangers, what's the chance of seeing someone pull out a gun in a normal first fight? And even still, I wouldn't consider it "winning" to shoot somebody in a fight, unless winning means going to jail and getting ass raped in prision.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
didnt bruce lee train in grappling as well?

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Not the gun crap again. I mean unless you routinely go fighting gangbangers, what's the chance of seeing someone pull out a gun in a normal first fight? And even still, I wouldn't consider it "winning" to shoot somebody in a fight, unless winning means going to jail and getting ass raped in prision.
Depends on what kind of "fight" you're talking about.

In a REAL fight, there ARE no rules. It's not about dignity or respect out there, it's about survival. If you're in some barroom brawl or playground fight, of course you're not going to pull a weapon. But if you get jumped leaving the club by 5 guys with baseball bats, let's see you drop into your Crouching Tiger stance and see how long it takes for you to get your head smashed in.

My point was that everyone thinks they're Billy Bad-ass with their boxing/kung-fu/jiu-jitsu/wrestling/obscure ching-chong bullsh!t until they're staring down the barrel of a gun. If you're trying to sport-fight, then there are rules. Even in a barroom brawl, with all those witnesses and your pride at stake, "dirty" fighting is disallowed.

When there are no rules, no number of black-belts will put, say, a 50 year old man or woman on equal footing with a 25 year old jock twice his/her size. Even a knife or a baseball bat doesn't quite do the job. There is only one great equalizer.

Like Maddox says, in the game of rock, paper, scissors, sucker-punch to the throat always wins.

Rudra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
@squirrels - QFT!

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
UFC is boring as hell. For 2 guys who know their sh!t, all the UFC is is a race to see who can get the other guy on the mat and wrestling until one can choke off the other's air supply.

For as good as Gracie was, all it took was Ken Shamrock to drag him to the floor and wait for an hour or so until he tired out.

You want to kick ass in the UFC? Learn Greco-Roman wrestling.

Yawn,...

KtFO!

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rudra said:
@squirrels - QFT!
@Rudra - QUANOUYF! ICBPWUALTAATUTI.

(Translation for the non-idiot: Quit using acronyms no one uses, you fagg0t. I can't believe people who use acronyms like this are allowed to use the Internet.)

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
UFC is boring as hell. For 2 guys who know their sh!t, all the UFC is is a race to see who can get the other guy on the mat and wrestling until one can choke off the other's air supply.
I guess that explains all the pools of blood you see on a octagon floor. Did you see the Couture/Gonzaga fight? That wasn't enough action for you???

BlackWidow

Don Juan
Reaction score
Jeeezuss!

You know, no matter what rank a martial artist is, if they're bragging that their particular art is better than Jimmy's down the street, then they've obviously missed some of the most important lessons.