Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

NFL Thread

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haven't replied to this thread because I was waiting to download the game before knowing the results, and i've still only seen the fu<king shortcut/highlights of it. Can we please stop with the excuses, "Chicago has an easy schedule", "They only beat Seattle because Alexander was out".

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What is all this Chicago superbowl crap. They looked good last year until the playoffs and then they sucked nutz. Im sorry but defense doesent win divisions anymore. Patriots are back for real. They are the real superbowl contenders.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Although ANY team can win on any given sunday, when there's a HUGE disparity between teams and talent, SCHEDULE and the eventuality of getting home field advantage DOES play a huge role in the outcome of the Superbowl Winner. The Pats are still owned by Denver, but fortunately they played them early. Yes, it hurts we were beat @ home, and their incredibly fast defense wasn't much for us to work with, BUT, and this is the bigger part, if the only other time we have to face them is at home, and not in the post season, the pats will probably do well, and make it as the AFC Champs.

Here's my opinion...

Indy. Yes, they have Peyton, but Indy has lost Corey Simon, the DLineman who helped prop up the D Last year. Their moving down the ranking in Run Defense, their already not-so-great corners are banged up quite badly, and their Run game, although Addai and Rhode are good, isnt' playoff or superbowl worthy. In this case, a dollar can't be made from 2 half dollars like Addai and Rhodes. Addai + Rhodes DOES NOT equal Edge, a guy who could pound out tough yards, unlike Addai and Rhodes, but also break a big one. Those losses are FAR greater than what people perceived New England to have lost.

Pitt. Their D works, but if their Offense can't stay on the field long enough to get them rejuvenated, they will constantly be tired, and therefore, exploited, Their corners, although good, have been exploitable. Obviously their RUN D is solid. But of greatest concern is the loss of Gadget and trick plays that were afforded by Antwan Randle El, the Tough Yards, by Bettis, and the multitude of injuries suffered by Ben. With a lagging Rushing game (Willie Parker + Bettis accounted for over 200 yards per game, most games, not now though), Ben is forced to do what he can't do best yet, Pass. He's great, but his main targets are Heath Miller and Hines Ward; that's it, and that's not enough. Wilson is ok against a bad D, but he's nothing special; the 49ers let him go. And Nate Washington, a rookie, emerges from time to time, but again, against Bad D's.

Jacksonville is a replica of the Pats, in many respects. The 1-2 punch of Jones-Drew and Taylor is strong and growing, the WRs, albeit inexperienced (yes Reggie Williams is still inexperienced), are solid in many respects and can dwarf MOST cb's. Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, and Ernest Wilford are solid, but with no clear veteran, they'll suffer the same fat the Pats did in Denver last year when Branch and Givens couldn't get open, and Byron won't be able to find an open WR. I do like them to go far, and challenge the Pats. Losing Mike Peterson hurts ALOT, that is akin to the loss the Pats suffered on losing Rodney Harrison in the middle. I won't pretend they'll give up a lot of rushing yards with Stroud and Henderson in the middle, but it weakens them.

Denver. Plummer is STILL going to implode worse than he has... If anything, it was the punter who opened the dam for the Broncos to get through. They fought a tough game, their Defense is fast, they get pressure, and can rarely be run on. The WR's are growing in sync with Plummer, but Plummer still doesn't project to be a SB QB, OR, even be able to handle a better D. Their Running game is good, and Bell works well in that system after all these years. But it's Plummer who concerns me most, and he did have his fumbles and INTS.

SD. Rivers, albeit has spent 2 full years on the bench. Gates, wonderful. McCardell, serviceable. And LT, you can't say enough about. Their front 4 is great, and they have good LBs, but that's it. W/out gates and LT, this team is JUST ok. And beating PITT demonstrated how bad PITT is playing. I won't full disrespect SD, b/c I enjoy watching them, but you can SHUT down Gates, and they were better when a VET like Brees was there. He's a beast, but they no downfield, speed threats.

KC. Forget it. No opinion needed. They're in rebuilding mode, but not far off. Maybe a year or 2 and they'll go deep. LJ has alot in the tank. Eddie would make a great #2 with a stud #1 opposite him. Tony G is great, too. But their D is still not good enough to stop a SB caliber team. And Dante Hall's occasional contribution isn't enough.

Now onto the Pats, of course, I'm a Homer, but I try to be objective based on the whole team concept, as opposed to studs and duds.

The Pats have, in my opinion, arguably the three best RB's through and through. Of course, there's no LT here, but LT is a speed beast, did anyone see him dunk Madieu Williams into the ground, twice vs Cincy? Dillon is healthy and can pound down the line. And Faulk catches everything thrown at him. Everyweek that goes by, greater chemistry develops between Brady and his receivers: Jackson, Gabriel, Brown, Caldwell, and now Gaffney. They also have some of the best TE's in the game in Watson, Graham, Dave Thomas, and Garret Mills, all pass-catching and blocking TE's (Dave Thomas was Vince Youngs' favorite target, and if he can catch balls from that Uncle Rico Throwing fool, he's in heaven with Brady). The defense is solid. They work on getting pressure up front and having CB's and safeties in the right spot, and give up having a pure shut down corner. Their entire line is made up of successful FIRST round picks; there are not busts on the D-line. The line-backers, although OLD, are vets. They rarely committ penalties, foolishly or otherwise, and make complete tackles, between Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin, Seau, and with Harrison helping, that's just scary to spell. For Fantasy purposes, it is difficult to draft the LBERS of the Pats b/c in any given week, ONE will be a superstar. The Secondary isn't perfect, and can let up big plays, but the defensive mind of belichick DOES help. Samuel, Harrison, Hobbs (playing hurt), Artrell Hawkins, and Randall Gay (unless I"m mistaken and he's out for the season), are good enough to hang with MOST receivers. They dominated Cincy, and forced MIAMI to throw wes walker all day while Chambers, the most fierce threat was shutdown.

People might have naysayed that LOSING certain players would effect this team, but it hasn't.

What has Vinatieri done for their new team? Perhaps the missed FG's could have been avoided, but most of the misses by Gostowski were b/c of the horrendous field condition, something perhaps Vinatieri COULD have avoided, but they haven't lost by only 3 points.

What has been heard of Willie McGinest? He got his pay day and was replaced by Seau, perhaps cut from the same mold. Willie's sacks went to Colvin now and Jarvis Green.

What of David Givens? He hasn't eclipsed 50 yards, and he's NOT the favorite target of Young, that's for sure. he had value BECAUSE of brady and the system. Nothing has since been heard of from David Patten either, who's either ridin' pine with Washington, or will/soon to be cut.

And lastly, Branch. Personally, the Pats fleeced Seattle, who will regret their massive spending, since it will prevent them from growing into a contender, instead of a pretender. Branch was Brady's favorite, but Brady is cheating on him with Gabriel, Brown, and soon to be Jackson. Branch won't amount to much in Seatlle, since they already paid Burleson over 50 million, and Branch got somewhere near 40, with a 13 million dollar signing bonus. Losses on the OLINE hurt, too. Seattle is good, but they moved BACKWARD, not forward. The fear of SA running through and over them opened the field up for the receivers, and Jackson and Branch don't command enough respect like a TO or SS such that they will place more in the secondary than the box. Hasselback is good, but it takes a little more from a team to rise above their best and become truly great. I do like SEA, but they're peaking...

The mistake ALOT of teams make is getting saddled with the mentality of keeping a team together so long that it kills the cap and prevents them from repeating. The Pats ownership recognizes this. People might hate it, but as long as Kraft owns the team, his goals is WINNING first, and players SECOND. They know what they want and need, and they won't sacrifice their principles or the system for an individual, that's how so many teams never make it.

A-UNit

Production6257

Don Juan
Reaction score
The Eagles are in no way overrated. No air attack?? We have arguably the best quarterback in the NFL! And the Eagles pass rush is ridiculous. This is no doubt the year that we go all the way. E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

They're overrated in relation to the Pats. They're minus TO, who then, was great. Who now, is overrated and on the downslide of his career. Yes, McNabb is crazy good, and Westbrook phenomenal. HOWEVER, IF westbrook should falter, against the playoff contenders, they won't stand a chance. McNabb can do what he likes, but Dallas, Houston, and the 49ers are NOT good teams with GOOD secondaries or a GOOD pass-rush. Dallas is foolish, b/c their QB is foolish by his own play. Despite Bledsoe's prolific numbers, he's only, to me, a few rungs above Brooks in the way he plays. Immobile, poor decisions, and useless when the rush comes on. He doesn't even sense pressure, b/c the times he wasn't sacked, the ball was batted away, or he threw it away. I'm not dissing on McNabb, b/c he's a playmaker, and he does carry the team durin the regular season, but they're not the team, in fact less of a team, that went the Superbowl. I won't many any guarantees the Pat's make it, but they couldn't get past CHICAGO for starters.

A-Unit

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So who's the worst team? Packers, Titans, Raiders, or Bucs? Each team is consistently able to pluck defeat from the jaws of victory.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Oakland WITHOUT a doubt. Not only are they horrible record-wise...0-4. They have NO shot to win, this year, maybe next year, too. Their talent are all busts. They traded Doug Gabriel, the only seriously competitive WR to New England. Randy Moss WAS a pehnome, but his time has passed. He has no work ethic, no sense of leadership. Moss would rather smoke his dope and pimp his car, than play football and set records. He HAD promise, he no longer is capable of promise. He's beyond that. They have no QB, and the fact they acquired BROOKS is a testament to the leadership they have at the top. Any sensible GM would see to it that they would NOT acquire such a foolish QB. But the owner is crazier...AND, they lost to Cleveland!!

Tenn HAS talent, and plenty to grow on. They've played tougher teams than OAK has. Tenn has Bulluck, Lendale White, Travis Henry, and Chris Brown. Vince Young now. David Givens + Drew Bennett and Ben Troupe. Pacman Jones is a joke. A trouble maker but talented. They will improve, but after their big years with McNair and how they managed the cap, they had to trade away the players most dear to their success.

GB is a joke, too. They have good WR. No solid RB anymore, and a weak defense. They just cut a CB who molested the CRAP out of a WR last week, resulting in a TD.

The Bucs are justold, and had too much faith in a rookie QB. Galloway is good, but he has no #2 to complement him. And the line is SUPER injured. most of the OLINE are rookies, and the defense with the exception of Barber and Brooks has been picked over. They're rebuilding and play in too tough a division for their current talent level.

A_Unit

StrangeButTrue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Defense doesn't win divisions anymore? Are you serious? Defense wins championships. It's like baseball- good pitching always trumps good hitting.

Ever wonder why the last 3 SB champs have been defensively minded teams, including a couple defensive juggernauts like the Bears this year, while teams like the Colts still get blown away in the playoffs year after year? If your opponent can't score, they can't win.

KillaCam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
So who's the worst team? Packers, Titans, Raiders, or Bucs? Each team is consistently able to pluck defeat from the jaws of victory.
Oakland. Oh dear lord Oakland.

The scary thing is, they still have talent. But they falter in the positions that matter. Randy Moss has years left in him, quality players just don't drop talent like that, but he can't make the plays without someone decent throwing the ball to him. His genius can only go so far without the other component in the engine.

They can build on LaMont Jordan. He's a phenominal player, multi-talented just like Brian Westbrook. I mean, a running back, and still nabbed 70 passes last year, combined with his better-than-decent running ability. It's like having a Wide Receiver willing to take it up the guts and be your work-horse. But in saying that, having Aaron Brooks at QB is bad enough, losing him is even worse.

Titans have genuine potential. As A-unit pointed out, they have awesome stocks at running back, an X-factor Quarterback for the future (although he will have to get comfortable and throw from the pocket better), and receiving corps that will only get better with years gone by.

Brett Favre is an icon. A legend. But please, dear god please get Aaron Rodgers in there! This year has become a throwaway year once again. I know Favre's intentions were good, but another year with Rodgers on the sideline is another year wasted. He's done all he can holding a clipboard. If the Packers were pushing for the post-season, then Favre coming back is sensible, but they have absolutely nothing to gain by having him under center, they are only losing 16 games of experience for this kid. Young is already in for the Titans, Leinart is already in for the Cardinals, and the calls for getting Cutler in are steady. Get Rodgers in, don't waste time.

Buccaneers are just playing bad ball. Last year their defense was actually feared. They had a pass-rush, and they were intimidating. It's all gone to mush now. I've seen sponges with less holes. Bruce Gradkowski is doing a decent job under center, but no one wants to lose their #1 for a prolonged amount of time, poor Simms. They are pulling together in bits and peices unfortunately, and that isn't going to get it done this year, and probably not next either. Doesn't help that Joey Galloway is 35 as well, he's still producing, but, there is only so much improvement you can make over 12 years in the NFL.

My Dolphins aren't much better either. Superbowl pick? That was premature. Culpepper looks tenative, the O-line has more gaps than stops, Chris Chambers is getting bored as hell out there, and Marty Booker is just a non-factor. At least Wes Walker is seeing some action there, I like that guy. I never thought i'd say this, but, i'm glad Joey Harrington is under center. Daunte needs to get his game sorted, this season is already a bust, so he's got time at least.

God those Bears are dominating. Early in the season of course, it isn't crunch time yet, but, if you want a pace-setter early on, the Bears are a perfect example. Their D is scary. Grossman has matured. Even their wideouts are clicking, I definately never would have thought that Bernard Berrian would be recognised as a hot player, ever. It's too early to pick for Superbowl just yet, but, if a team is going to book their place in it, the Bears are the best pick right now.

eminence

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i think your forgetting the lions? they just plain suck.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I knew I forgot a team.

Oakland needs to be stripped of their colors. There's no incentive for the ownership to have a good team when they still make so much money from their merchandise. The Raiders still have high revenues even when they stink. If I was commisisoner, I would make them wear the old Bucs' orange until they make the playoffs again.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

The Packers don't have as long a turn around time table as a team like Oakland does...

Greg Jennings and Donald Driver are fantastic as 1a and 1b receivers.
They WILL find a RB, or they'll take one in the draft if they don't go for a QB to replace Rodgers (they still don't know what they have in him).

The Defense DOES need some CB's that don't maul the receiver's like the recently released Ahmad Carroll, picked up by Carolina.

Their line was good. They let go Marco Rivera, who's now in Dallas, and I can't tell if it's his fault Bledsoe can't stand up long enough to pass, or if it's Bledsoe's immobility.

TENN should be good in years to come. Henry and White showed alot of promise. Ben Troupe is a star waiting to happen, but has had so much QB instability he can't develop alongside one of them. And Bennett and Givens, although talented, need more talent alongside them. Both are more possession receivers than speed, talent, or deep threats. Bennett had once outstanding year with Volek at the helm, when Mason and McNair were injured. Very often, if you look around the NFL, the #2 WR gets alot of balls b/c they don't draw the shutdown corners like the #1 does. And in most cases, they don't adjust and cover the #2. Unless the #1 is a super talent, the #2 will do well in most games. Check Miami, where Chambers is behind Welker, or CINN where Housh is over CJ. Or even Detroit where Furrey is over Williams. Although all the aforementioned talent is considered a #1, unless it's Steve Smith, perhaps Torry Holt, Fitzgerald, or what used to be Randy Moss, most #1's won't be free. So you need a FEW capable WR, rather than 1 semi stud. That, to me, was why NEW ENGLAND let Branch go, and couldn't win with Branch/Givens. In earlier years, they had Patten, Givens, Branch, a younger Brown, and they're all good, with great speed, soft hands, and good route running skills. Last year, NE really only had Branch and Givens as deep threats; Branch is small, and won't go through the middle, and Givens isn't good enough to shake the #2 coverage on his side. Great QB's, made mediocre WR look good to great. Not the other way around. A GREAT WR will make average QB's look great...

A-Unit

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think Chicago will continue their dominance. I feel they are making this a pride thing. They WANT to go out and dominate. They WANT to shove their opponents into the ground. I don't think Arizona gets a whole lot in this game. Matt hasn't ever seen a defense like the Bears, and Edge, well, Edge can't really get much in anyways. The Bears will shut him down.

27-3 in favor of Chicago.

PS. If/When Chicago loses this year, it will be due to the offense. The defense is just too good.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Chicago is probably feeling really comfortable and ****y now, and AZ has a lot to prove. Chicago is probably thinking this is an instant win.
Comfortable yes, ****y, no. In every interview or press conference Lovie Smith always says they're taking it one game at a time, and that they're not even thinking about the superbowl right now.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
If the game were in Chicago, i could see a 27-3 drubbing of the Cards. But this game's put west...the fans are gonna be pumped...the Cards will elevate their game a level or two...it'll be a good game.

I'm afraid the Cards don't have much of a game to step up. Fitzgerald is out this week I believe, leaving one key reciever and a rookie quarterback who has yet to face a tremendous defense. The offensive line still isn't getting any better, and it seems like the Cards are in for a long day.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It looks like the winless teams all scored a victory today, except Oakland, who play Denver tonight and will likely get drubbed.

I think the Bears will stomp the Cardinals, too. It might be 42-0. This mnf game will help them get the national exposure they deserve.

StrangeButTrue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm worried about the Cardinals as a Bears fan. There have been a lot of upsets this weekend, and the Bears have never played well on
Monday night.