Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

My wedding is two months away and I'm still not sure she is the right one!

CobraGT

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've jumped without looking...here's my story...

I popped the big question about 10 months ago. Never have been too excited about wedding talk (it started on the way back from our destination). Two months before the wedding and I still don't like to hear about it. Mostly because I've been uncertain all along. When I asked her to marry me, my heart raced. I wasn't sure, but thought I would sort through it and determine marrying her was right. She's got the great family, we seldom argued, she laughed at my jokes, she’s pretty and lovable. I suppose I’ve never felt the electric of a kiss some would describe when kissing the partner they love or desire. She’s my first girl friend. First long term relationship (almost 2 yrs now). I dilligently played the part of the romantic boyfriend. Wooed her. Had a good time. Realized I was an incredible natural and that if I’d been less shy meeting women I could have had lots of good times. I was amazed that she could love me so much and fall so hard for one CobraGT. Sex is good, but she’s my first and only partner. I vowed not to have sex before getting married, but that went down hill incredibly fast once the bra came off.

I have great respect and care deeply for her, but I’m still not sure how much I love her. During our relationship we’ve been to several weddings. Our friends looks so happy on their special day. I think about my special day and doubt I can be as happy as those couples seemed. Calling off the wedding so close will be a huge deal. It will really be the biggest decision I’ve ever had to make, not to mention the worst. Laugh all you will, but it's true. When you get involved for so long it's like your already married. Her family, who also has mad love for me, will be irate. My family will understand. My friends and their wives have grown to love her as a friend. Likewise she considers them great friends and gets along with them great. We live together…would never recommend this unless you are VERY sure. All those things make this difficult.

On a personal level, I’ve never considered her to be a knockout. She’s attractive, but not intensely attractive to me. She’s a size 10, and I’m a skinny guy at heart although I’ve packed on the pounds from weight training. I never envisioned myself with someone who was over like a size 6. I’ve tried not to get caught up on such a thing though as it is a little petty since true love is not entirely based upon looks. She works hard to stay trim, but she will always be able to whoop up on a size 6 girl.

My biggest dilemma is my intense urge to study attractive women wherever I go or whomever I’m with. This causes me the most guilt. She knows and can deal with it, but it truly make me think something is wrong with us. I mean I’m checking out the ladies like I’m a single man. Single and getting married in TWO months. Having this need to look troubles me the most. In my girls presence, I have the attention span of a gnat. About 20 percent of my time is spent looking and listening to her. I’ll give you a moment to guess where the rest of my attention is focused. Yes that is correct! Survey says I spend 80 percent of my time scanning the horizon for beautiful women. Once I’ve discover them, I feel the need to study them for as long as I can get away with it and not be too obvious. Big pervert is the way I feel sometimes. I study the breasts, the butt, or how pretty she is among other things. It’s like you can’t fully wrap your mind around the beauty of some breasts, a fine ass, or a perfect face. I’ve always said my looking is innocent, but I wonder if I feel like I’ve missed out. A friend of her said no one marries the first person they date and she’s my first.

I read a book on when to stay in a relationship or get out. The books great, but it didn’t have a specialized chapter for me beyond the chapter on relationship ambivalence. I was in disbelief. Turns out I’m ambivalent in my relationship. The book defines relationship ambivalence as: “when the bulk of your attention shifts from being in your relationship to trying to figure out whether to stay in it or leave.” Then it goes on to ask direct questions that help develop a conclusion about whether to stay in it or get out. I’m preoccupied with this decision. Anyway, while reading the chapter I got myself worked up and started picturing myself single. It was kind of a revelation, here I was checking out hot beautiful women all around and I no longer felt guilty. I started thinking about what they would be like to date. Then I calmed down, came home and started thinking about all the good stuff I’d be leaving behind, including all the great stuff I mentioned previously about her, the house, finding a new place, meeting new women I could relate with. I feel like the book gave me a moment of clarity, but coming home put me back into ambivalence.

The first thing I would have to deal with would be loneliness. I’m an independent person, but have grown to enjoy not having to go every where alone. The second, overcoming my shyness of meeting beautiful women, finding some who I enjoy being with and are not as flaky or snobby as they are beautiful. The third, putting this whole checking out women while in a relationship. Will it diminish once I find the next Mrs. CobraGT through expanding my dating experience from 1 to X number of women?

There are others but I’ve pretty much got what I wanted to say out. I’d really appreciate some critical feed back. I’m two months away from the wedding date, but have ONE WEEK before the gifts start rolling in. Yipes!

Thanks taking the time to help!

CobraGT

OddTech

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CobraGT
She’s my first girl friend. First long term relationship (almost 2 yrs now).
CobraGT
First off, big props that you are very mature to think this through. You should definitely reconsider this, since it's a big deal. The motto is that... if you are questioning the situation, then there's a problem already. You don't seem ready.

I have no experience whatsoever because I'm not there yet. But you sound like you still want to "test the market" before you settle down. You feel like you are settling for less. I don't know.

Perhaps others here will have more insight. How old are you? Are you feeling like you are getting married because other people are doing the same (and seem happy about it)?

Jay Gatsby

Don Juan
Reaction score

TooColdUlrick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you aren't sure--GET OUT RIGHT NOW!!!

how many people aren't sure about getting married, but cannot bring themselves to bail, and they get married anyway because of pressures or whatever?

the longer you wait, the harder it will be.

i'm not saying bail from her, just postpone it.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, POSTPONE IT!!! IT'S YOUR LIFE!!!

TurboLover

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I know that I am not yet 25 or have been ingaged, BUT I have been in more than one relationship. Just from that I can tell you that if you are doubting it, get out. When I was with my first everything I though I was in love. Was young too, and AFC. But when that was over, it lasted about 2 and half years. I realized how stupid I really was.

How sharing these experiences with this person for the first time could effect me, blind me.

I doubt your AFC, judging that you have been on the boards as long as I have. Its never too late, even though your big day is coming, to get out. OK after your married it will be worse. That event will make it harder to leave.

My first LTR, I can say that she wasn't all that, maybe a hb6.5. But at the time I thought she was beautiful(i was very attracted), and not even you can say that about your girl. Plus, I have yet to see girls become more attactive after they are married. Usually they become comfortable and gain some weight, but maybe there is exceptions.

I see that your a car guy. So an analogy from my point which is similar in some twisted way.

I bought a 94 TT Supra. First time I drove that thing, DAMN. I mashed that gas. About 4K second turbo kicks in fully. BOOM 18 pounds of boost, talk about pure adrenaline attached to a license plate. My body has never experienced something like that before. I think it might of felt better that sex. But I got use to it and still chasing that first high. I though that car was the greatest thing in the world. But then I drove something with a 350 V8. I love the low end torque, find it fun to drive everyday because how often do you go over 4K daily driving unless your a crazy lead foot.

The thing is I can have both cars, with marriage it doesnt work that way. Seems like something is lacking. So if you don't do it for yourself at least do it for her. Remember your a DJ.

Good luck.

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have second thoughts ...

... I wouldn't do it. Marriage, like sports, school, career -- anything really important (yeah, sports are important!) -- are not to be done half-a$$ed.

Getting bad fast food with your buddies is something to be done half-a$$ed. Renting videos or hanging out you can do half-a$$ed. Getting married, nope, no way. It's either all or nothing, IMO -- and I've never been married.

Being alone is not the end of the world because you'll learn how to deal with it, and it's not like you can't find someone else. All DJs should learn how to live alone and not be dependent on someone.

Also, could you give me one good reason to get married at 25? There's a lot of fun, single living to be lived at that age. You can road trip, go to concerts, clubs, sporting events WHENEVER you want when you're 25 ... that is if you're single.

Why do you want to be tied down and acting like a 50-year old when you're 25?! Because of one woman? Pleeeeeease. When you're 35 you'll be kicking yourself.

Unless you're a complete nerd with no social skills, no way should ANYONE get married at 25. Plus, you do most of your changing personality-wise in your 20's. A friend of mine told me just this weekend that she's a completely different person than she was at 25 ... and she's 29.

You AND your spouse will change greatly in these years, heightening the chance for divorce.

I think you're nuts ... then again I've been a life-long bachelor so what do I know? I do know that EVERY one of my many friends who got married in their 20's have major regrets for doing it.

TurboLover

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually he didn't say how old he is. I just wrote 25 because I was postin in the mature man forum and I am only 22. But I'd have to say that he is in his early 20's.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
:eek: DO NOT DO IT!!!!!! :eek:

Cancel the band.
Cancel the church.
Cancel the catering.
Send back the gifts.

This is your first girlfriend, first lover, first everything. You need more experience in LIFE before you start sharing that life with some one else.

Until you can actually look forward to getting married DON'T DO IT! I'm 41, never married and I love the hell out of my life. Listen to Jay Gatsby, WestCoaster & the rest of the guys! You need to date other women, go new places, see new things, meet new people.

(Where the hell is Dietzcoi when we need him??? :confused: )

dietzcoi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am here!!!

DO NOT DO IT! You are crazy, you sound like me when I was AFC and I did get married, when she turned up "accidentally" pregnant.

A terrible terrible error and one that has put my life into a death sprial that I am still trying to pull out of...

If you marry her you will hate yourself. But I think you will be too weak to stop it.... :(

Dietzcoi

JohnJones

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This'll get flamed but I have the following to say: whether you should do it or not is only up to you and based on your post, the research you've been doing and the above advice, you'll do better than a lot of people. I agree that you need to do it at the right time and under the right circumstances or else you'll be turning your head for years thinking of what could have been. I also agree that it sounds like this whole thing may be way too early in life for your liking.

But that said, don't envision marriage as a relationship that works like an eternally perfect girlfriend/boyfriend relationship.

What I mean by that is that after all the hot chicks, all the freshness, all the excitement, etc., just as you need someone who can deal with you when you look your worst (occasionally), smell bad, are down, tired, whatever, so does she (whoever she is).

If that is not what you are looking for or that is not what you want now, that is perfectly fine and I say stop the process now (she will feel dumb and confused no matter what -- better to do it in advance). It just sounds like you want to live some more --

NewMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is the BIGGEST decision of you life.

Let me relate my story to you...

My very frist LTR. She was beyond belief - and that's the reason I was with her. I was into my life, my sports, my hobbies. I had no time for women - quite by accident I was a semi DJ already.

Then I meet her and she blew my mind. Everything I ever wanted.

I will not go into details but let's just say I strung the whole deal along - because not matter how perfect I thought she was - it was still my first LTR. Sure there had been other women - but I always would wonder what it would be life to have another realtionship with a woman.

Well it ended after a number of yrs. and here I am.

What I can tell you about that is the following...

Ending it is hard. You will go through every kind of emotion.

Yes there will be other chicks - quite possibly hotter than her - some maybe better - but the majority will not. Some will anoy the hell out of you. Some will be slut's that will cheat and fvck around on you. Some will be Prude's that are as boring as hell in the sack. Some will be *****y. There will be Gold diggers - there will be dumb B#tches and there will be a small percentage that you can actually stand being around 50% of the time.

What I'm saying is, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

It's not going to be all roses - so remember that.

But at the end of the day you have to call this wedding off.... or at elast postpone it. It is the hardest path to take - but the right one.

Don't regret not seeing what else is out there in 40yrs time. Regret the fact that you DID do it, in order to experience other things on the journey of life.

CobraGT

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. In order to add clarity to my post and avoid boring the masses I'm going to address this to the whole rather than reply individually.

I'm 28. Ideally I feel it is a good time to be married. However, I don't obsess about the timing. What happens, happens, but hopefully it happens the right way. Investing so much time in a relationship with the possibility it was time wasted sucks. Lack of experience sucks. I spent most of my school time studying. Went to my share of clubs, but never dated much. Not for the lack of wanting to. Some guys just have those backward ways. I've read my share of self help books on social skills as a result. My skills have improved a lot since then. My fiance remarks occasionally about my ability to pick up a conversation with just about anyone who is remotely friendly. Hopefully my introductions will be easier if this doesn't work out.

Earlier today, I was just thinking about how much I'd miss her. She does a lot to make me happy. Some things I'm sure I won't fully appreciate until I've dated a lot. We've talked about my lack of experiences. My lacking makes it hard for me to fully appreciate how good I have it.

We have very little drama, which counts for a lot. The most upset she has ever been was last week. At work we roasted a pig. She was upset she wasn't invited to prepare it for the grill. How was I to know she would want to see such a thing?!? Killing a animal is ugly business! She though it was a sign I didn't love her enough to invite her to something she may never get to see again. And that I don't show much love in general. I only know of two times I've done something of interest without her when she actually had time to stop by. This time it didn't help that a couple of the cute girls at work were invited (they didn't even go). Her biggest issues seem to be jealousy. We discuss them and I always have to show her she's being a little extreme. This can be hard work though. Afterward she is like a kitten. She thinks with feeling, I explain with logic. My fiance says what she loves about me, is that I don't get jealous because I've never been cheated on.

Anyway, I mean to say that we relate very well. I've keenly listened in people talk about their relationships. The two cute girls say they get drunk with their boyfriends yell names at each other most of the night, break up, and get back together. I don't have any urge to get involved with that kind of woman. Soon as drama shows up, I'd be gone!

Attraction is my biggest hangup. She will ask questions like is she more beautiful than me. And I ask her if she's crazy, don't ask stupid questions like that any more. She just wants to know that she's the most beautiful woman to me. I can't say that though. Part of my naive way of looking at marriage before, was that soon as you find the right one you no longer look at any other women. I don't think it works that way now.

Turbolover....could you explain your car analogy a little more? Are you saying save her the longterm pain?

NewMan, excellent summary. I think about the greener grass on the other side stuff often. I don't want to be the old guy wishing I had married and started a family. I'd like to avoid being there. Nor do I desire to be the married guy wishing he was a DJ. I just haven't met the happy medium I suppose. Your description of the types of women out there was excellent also. I regret that I might have to sort through those to find another good one.

I've thought of postponing the wedding, but I don't think it will matter. I'm afraid I will still be stuck on this. Did I mention this sucks!

CobraGT

JohnJones

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All I can say about postponing is that if you have enough things that are bugging you, those will not go away after the wedding and getting back to where you need to be to experience them will be that much more complicated (you don't want to hurt her now, think about how much less you'll want to hurt her after the wedding).

To me, it kind of sounds like the things that are eating at you are not cancerous, and its not a question of whether you like her (too many people get married while having EXTREME reservations about the person herself) its more a question of lamenting the passage of youth and that kind of thing.

Only you can decide whether hurting her vs. these feelings is right, and its clear you know that. Any chance you can talk to her about it without WWIII?

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi CobraGT, thank you so much for your sincerity, I think everyone here appreciates it a lot.

Although I'm only a young kid for this section of the board, I beg to put my 2 cents in the discussion.

I think marriage is ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT decisions of your life, don't rush it if you still have incertainties. I don't want to sound overly pessimistic, but I've known people who got married when "everything was perfect", and still they got trouble afterwards. In your case, you already have a big issue: your hangup about her looks.

I kinda feel you because having been in hardcore enginneering fields for too long time, not having many opportunities conditionned me to think that what I got was basically what I deserved.
And then I came to the States and the social setting has changed, although it's till pretty tough, I slowly discovered that "I can do better". Situations that would have made me happy are not that interesting to me anymore.

The way I see it:
You didn't achieve your "full potential" by the time you met your current fiancee, who was also your first one. So in a way you "settled for less". I'm in no way disrespecting your fiancee, I'm only saying that if you were more "experienced", you probably would have landed some one who is just as nice and sweet and all that as your current fiancee but who satisfies you way more than her in the looks department.

By the way you described your situation, I'm convinced that you are not the kind of guy who's always after the next "better" upgrade. But we all have our "minimum requiremnt" standards, anything below that would leave this itch.

Your fiancee may be jealous simply because that she knows that you "can do better", only you haven't realized your full potential. In other words she knows that she got LUCKY.
It's just like some of those very average guys who got a gorgeous girl simply because of her extreme shyness or her not knowing that she's hot. They are constantly worried about losing her because maybe some day she will realize what she really wants and that she can get it.

Sorry for my very immature input, please don't flame me...:D

OddTech

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Le Parisien

Your fiancee may be jealous simply because that she knows that you "can do better", only you haven't realized your full potential. In other words she knows that she got LUCKY.
It's just like some of those very average guys who got a gorgeous girl simply because of her extreme shyness or her not knowing that she's hot. They are constantly worried about losing her because maybe some day she will realize what she really wants and that she can get it.
L.P. hit the nail. Good insight.

Reaction score
Cobra, Cobra, Cobra, not a very good situation to put yourself in - but many/most men have done it - so don't feel as if you are the first - millions of engagements have been severed!!

It is not our job to tell you what to do but obviously you are seeking counsel for or against marriage - the mere doubt on your part of partaking in such a grand and important act tells me you obviously don't want to do it!

You are dissatisfied with her physical structure and are tempted by those who are more physically appealing to your eye and want to 'try' other women. You will always think this especially as she ages and gets bigger!! Yes, PR_L's first rule "They only get bigger"!!

As soon as she gets fat your eyes will wander more and you will break your vow of marriage and fall to temptation and eat of the more luscious fruit - this is guaranteed!!!

You like slim and trim women and you value the physicality of a woman more so than the spiritual/emotional rewards that she brings!!

I caution you to be careful of seeking physical beauty/lust over spiritual/emotional strength. If you leave your girl and get 25 beautiful hors in the next 25 days you may feel more dissatisfied than what you do now and regret your decision. I doubt you are much of a ‘player’ since you only had one girl at 28. And this why you hesitate to leave her because you doubt your ability to woo other candidates and you may be as alone as you were before you met her!

Do you think that you are more of a DJ now and wish to test your skills??

You alone must decide what you VALUE!! It is very hard to find a ‘GOOD’ non-hor woman nowadays, most men never find one – if you have one then you are in the minority!

I personally would never marry a woman that did not meet my physical/spiritual criteria! I would be dissatisfied if both were unmet!

bronyraur

Don Juan
Reaction score
Time out brother

Nothing will effect you more than the "death" of a marriage. Especially if you have children. If you are not sure (your gut feeling is right 99% of the time), don't do this!

I got married at 27 in part because it was the "time". Now at 35, paying $900/mo in child support and being a part time father I look back and cringe. If you aren't sure....for you and your gf's mental health don't do this. If you really love her as a person you aren't doing her any favors by marrying her with your uncertainty.

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's what you think in your 20's ...

* This girl is perfect and will make the perfect wife! (I doubt it.)

* She won't get fat or out of shape. (Yeah, right. I saw a gal I was hot for in college recenlty. In 15 years she gone south in every physical department and she used to be hot.)

* She won't divorce me ever. (Statistics show there's as good a chance as that happening as it not happening.)

* Throwing away my freedom in my 20's/early 30's is a good thing. (Yeah, right!)

* It's TIME to get married. (Who set this time? And who gave the person who set this time so much power and authority? And when has he/she ever been right anyway? And since when are married couples any better than single people anyway? Inquiring minds want to know!)

* Twice I contemplated marriage in my 20's. Now knowing what the two women have become all I can say is I made two incredibly astute decisions, even if they were just based on me wanting to be single and nothing else. Neither one would've worked. Both are major league b-tches.

* If you have reservations, don't do it.

NewMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Let's be blunt here...

If you wanted to get married you would not be posting this and wondering about it.

But you did.

You know the pro's and con's to getting married to this woman - you live it 24hr 7 days. No one here has the ability to change your mind - you want to stop the wedding and your basically looking for justification.

Let's evaluate.

1) she doesn't have the kind of body that you want in a woman - she's lacking physically.

2) She's insecure - partly because your really not giving her what she wants (I'm reading between the lines here - but I guess your staring at other women in front of her "for as long as you can get away with" - that really would not do any womans self confidence any good). - and partly because she knows she's no HB8

3) You've only ever been with one woman - and your interested in knowing what it's like to land a few other HB's.

4) Whilst she supplies you with the things you want ina realtionship - how do you know there's nothing better out there?

Ask yourself this - if you could fvck a hot chick and know you'd get away with it - would you?

That fact that you have very little experience is really a negative factor here.

If you get married to this woman you are doing both yourself and her a huge dis-service. Qould you want a woman to marry you if she had these kinds of doubts? It's hard to break up with her - but in the long run it would be better for the both of you. She can find someone who truly loves her - and you can get those experiences a man is supposed to get.

Dude - it's as clear as the nose on my face.

Do what you KNOW you must.

entropy

Don Juan
Reaction score
My 2 cents.

Your not going to stop beating yourself up, until you get to see if the grass is greener on the other side.

Let me assure you it usually is not.

Better hope you don't miss her, she'll haunt you if you do.

Your going to find that alot of monsters hide in the skin of beautiful women with beautiful bodies.

IMO you're fawked with this wedding. Unfortunately you have to go out and get burnt and see for yourself. This splinter in your mind will only grow.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Physical attraction is a given (how could you possible end up with someone your unattracted to?), however it need not be overwhelming just enough to arouse.

You'll find out for yourself that at the end of the day, it all comes down to personality.

Enjoy your burns.