Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

My depressed girlfriend broke up with me due to needing space, but gets mad when I give it to her

zacharie101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you remained supportive but done so by compromising your principles or standards? Or has doing so made you appear not to have any standards?

It may simply be that she is losing respect for you because you keep caving and won't set some type of standard thst she can't cross.

It's a fine line between being supportive and making yourself look weak.
Thanks for the advice.

I remained supportive by knowing that i'm dating someone who is a good student, focused on her studies, has a job, and currently is having some family issues, so I understand that we don't be able to spend as much time together and may not communicate as much.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like complaining about lack of time spent together would be needy, weak, and a bit selfish, since when she is free, she did make it a priority to spend time with me.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I remained supportive by knowing that i'm dating someone who is a good student, focused on her studies, has a job, and currently is having some family issues, so I understand that we don't be able to spend as much time together and may not communicate as much.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like complaining about lack of time spent together would be needy, weak, and a bit selfish, since when she is free, she did make it a priority to spend time with me.
It's also weak and needy to not get what YOU want out of a relationship. At the end of the day you ned to get what YOU want first and foremost. YOU come first in any relationship. The second this isn't true is the second you give a woman all the power and its a long slow ride of her losing respect til the end where she has so little respect for you it makes her physically sick thinking about being with you anymore.

Last edited:

oldmanofthesea

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
so true about the emotional punching bag.

I know I sound crazy, but that's also why I don't want to walk away so easily. Not only cause I love her, but I also love her as a person and outside of this our relationship is usually great. We rarely argue and she's not always depressed, it's just when things get very overwhelming, she's not good dealing with stress.

I also should add that the time she asked for the break was during the time her period started. Usually when that happens, i've noticed depending on how stressful her life is she becomes very irritated, moody, emotional, and irrational. Not all months are like that though. I usually try to hide when it gets bad, but she gets mad for not hearing from me.
Well with some of the added color you've provided around the issue, I'll clarify some thoughts.

My experience has been that most girls I've dated have really bad emotional issues during their periods. It has varied by the girl, but for whatever reason, all the girls I end up in LTRs with are on the far end of the crazy spectrum during their periods. Add on some life stress and it takes them completely over the edge. It's not just you they lash out against - they do it against family, friends, etc. I am not saying it is right, nor an excuse for the behavior, but at the end of the day, my own personal experience has taught me that this is just how women are due to their hormones and associated emotions. Do they have SOME control over it? To varying degrees, yes, depending on the girl.

Then there is how a person responds to life stress outside of their periods. Some people are better able and better-adjusted at managing life stress than others. The ones who are bad at it can get better through deliberate, willing effort and possibly cognitive therapy.... learning "span of control", meditation, etc. However, in my personal experience, the women who have the most difficult time managing stress are also the most STUBBORN women, which means two things 1- Their stubbornness is a chief reason they evolved into a person who has a difficult time rolling with the punches and managing stress because they want to have control over everything and they short-circuit inside when certain things are simply outside of their control, and 2 - Their stubbornness causes them to be the LEAST likely people to accept or seek help, which cements their fate to stay the same and not improve with time. This is where I agree with @Trez in that, it's about 90% likely a person like this will stay the same or get worse but not get better.

You say she is normally ok, and I believe you, but you have to also realize that while she is under a lot of stress right now and you can choose to be patient and stick with her through it, this is not the only time she is going to face stress. Stress is a constant factor of life. It's going to come up again. And again. And again. So don't think that if you make it through this hump, it's not going to rear its ugly head again. It will. You can bet on it.

If you choose to stick with her, the best thing to do is is communicate clear boundaries and when she pulls away, you need to pull away harder. If she says something like "start over as friends," then you need to tell her directly that while you understand this is a hard time for her, that isn't what YOU are looking for and that maybe she needs some time on her own to figure things out, then you walk away and never look back and you start dating other girls. If she gets mad at you and says she still expects to go on dates and hear from you every day, your response should be along the lines of, "That's what I wanted too, but I don't go on dates with friends nor do I talk to each of them every day. I'm a busy guy. I can only make that kind of time for a partner and you've told me you aren't interested in that right now so I need to shift my time and energy elsewhere." She needs to understand that she WILL lose you and she is NOT in the position of being able to unilaterally keep changing the terms of your relationship and expect you to stick around through it. You will not tolerate that and she needs to know that. Additionally, do NOT accept any shaming or criticism from her for your taking this position.

If you are someone who typically is really nice and accommodating to women (as opposed to a guy who runs through them without a second though), The BIGGEST thing you need to do is to focus on what YOU want and what YOU need and understand that, despite how she may react, there is nothing wrong or out of line with your wants and needs.

Dash Riprock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, that's definitely true. In the beginning of our relationship she had her walls up and had trust issues because of her past heart breaks.

TBH idk where things will go from here. I will just let things flow and if it's meant to be it will be. Although I may not be completely over her, My heart has started to heal more each and every day.

I will go on the date she asked me for, but I won't have any expectations on it's outcome. Just focusing on bettering myself as a man.
If it were me, because I had 2 years in, I'd go with a "soft dump" and simply call a timeout.

Tell her you're not cool with the off-on, hot-cold behavior. Tell her you need some time to sort things out and see if this relationship is consistent with your long term goals. Then, YOU MUST STICK TO IT, no matter how much she cries or blows up your phone.

Once you've detached a bit, I'll guarantee it will put the fear of God in her that you're willing to walk (a man's #1 weapon) and you will see things more clealy.

Minimum 2 weeks. It takes balls. I hope you can execute...for your own good. Calling a break is a *very effective* weapon against a woman's BS.

Good luck.

oldmanofthesea

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Would you really take a woman back after something like that? Surely you are aware of what they're going to be doing in the meantime...
I don't think ALL women would do that..... not after a 2 year long relationship. Especially if she truly likes the guy and has a connection with him. If it's less than 3 or 4 months then totally - she will likely just hit up the next orbiter in line. I think it's a good test because it proves how much she is truly into you. If she's the type to just jump around from one guy to the next quickly and easily, then that is probably going to happen down the road in a serious relationship with her. I've also found from experience that what Dash says is very true about rejecting a woman. It only makes them want you more and if they truly have any feelings for you, this is compounded 100x.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How would you manage your life with one of these females in it? What boundaries would you have?
Lol boundaries. Women like this laugh at your boundaries and then run through them. Try it and see what I’m talking about.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If there are women out there who don’t use their partners as emotional punching bags from time to time, I haven’t met them. At this point, I have basically resigned myself to understanding that they all do this to some degree due to their emotional nature, and all I can do is set boundaries and if it gets bad, leave. I’ve left my current GF a couple times over it. She always immediately comes back and begs forgiveness. I feel like if I don’t ever want to deal with any amount of it, then I will need to completely avoid relationships entirely and just spin plates.
Damn i was treated so good for so many years. And my uncle always had babes making the mental cost worth more than their nasty pvssy. He felt that was normal. And im finding for a large amount of the people it is true. It really is important if your going to LTR it to grab her while she is YOUNG and unmolded. Or if she is older, she had very few but very LONG lasting relationships where she performed in a feminine function.

Lol boundaries. Women like this laugh at your boundaries and then run through them. Try it and see what I’m talking about.
I know. And if you say something about it, you just weakened yourself, because she WILL do it again. What you can do is a more powerful "tit-for-tat" than she did you, but those folks are wired to enjoy slopping around in the mud.. So now you optimized to doing tit-for-tat with her, and you are WAY off of your purpose, most of your energy and focus going into playing those games with her.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn i was treated so good for so many years. And my uncle always had babes making the mental cost worth more than their nasty pvssy. He felt that was normal. And im finding for a large amount of the people it is true. It really is important if your going to LTR it to grab her while she is YOUNG and unmolded. Or if she is older, she had very few but very LONG lasting relationships where she performed in a feminine function.

I know. And if you say something about it, you just weakened yourself, because she WILL do it again. What you can do is a more powerful "tit-for-tat" than she did you, but those folks are wired to enjoy slopping around in the mud.. So now you optimized to doing tit-for-tat with her, and you are WAY off of your purpose, most of your energy and focus going into playing those games with her.
The thing is you’re never going to be able to “out-crazy” a crazy person. Your mind doesn’t operate like theirs does. They’ve had a LIFETIME perfecting their personality and manipulation, you’re basically trying to match a person that’s had years and years head start on you. And the more to try to one up them, you’ll just wear yourself out eventually.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The thing is you’re never going to be able to “out-crazy” a crazy person. Your mind doesn’t operate like theirs does. They’ve had a LIFETIME perfecting their personality and manipulation, you’re basically trying to match a person that’s had years and years head start on you. And the more to try to one up them, you’ll just wear yourself out eventually.
Its like getting into fights with a few gang members and you make $300k a year. They have NOTHING to lose and if you keep fvcking with them you'll lose everything and end up a bum in the street.

Last edited:

oldmanofthesea

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Excuse me, all hot women. AHWALT
The girl I'm dating is a solid 8. I've dumped her three times in 8 months over her behavior. She came back immediately each time. But I've only been in the dating pool for 4 years since my divorce, so, beyond my ex wife, I don't have a lot of LTRs under my belt in those 4 years of post-divorce dating. Most of my experience has been short-term stuff and usually women are on their best behavior during that time.

Glassguy

Reaction score
What should I do? My depressed girlfriend asked for a "break" due to needing space, but gets mad when I give it to her and she still wants to go on dates with me.

Before we started dating she warned me about going through depressing stages, pushing people away, and being insecure. We've been together for 2 years, when she feels overwhelmed or too stressed, she goes into depression. It's happened before, but this time was the worst and she told me she wants to start over as friends, take things slow, doesn't want to bring me down, but still wants to go on dates with me. I feel in my heart I would regret it if I walk away. She says she sees a future with me but wants us to pause our relationship.

She is very stressed right now due to school, work, and her family issues.

She started initiating contact the next day after asking for a break and got angry for not hearing from me.

She wants space, but expects to hear from me everyday and still wants to go on dates. She also cooked for me yesterday without me asking.
Most people will show you who they really are if you just pay attention. She is telling you who she is and do you really want to struggle with this shyte from a woman?

Putting up with this shyte from a woman comes from a scarcity mindset. You need to get away from that asap.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its like getting into fights with a few gang members and you make $300k a year. They have NOTHING to lose and if you keep fvcking with them you'll lose everything and end up a bum in the street.
Yep exactly. The one girl I dated that was like OP’s girlfriend (but had way more narcissistic traits) I could FEEL myself going crazy just from the long term exposure of being around her.

Jack12345

Banned
Reaction score
What should I do? My depressed girlfriend asked for a "break" due to needing space, but gets mad when I give it to her and she still wants to go on dates with me.

Before we started dating she warned me about going through depressing stages, pushing people away, and being insecure. We've been together for 2 years, when she feels overwhelmed or too stressed, she goes into depression. It's happened before, but this time was the worst and she told me she wants to start over as friends, take things slow, doesn't want to bring me down, but still wants to go on dates with me. I feel in my heart I would regret it if I walk away. She says she sees a future with me but wants us to pause our relationship.

She is very stressed right now due to school, work, and her family issues.

She started initiating contact the next day after asking for a break and got angry for not hearing from me.

She wants space, but expects to hear from me everyday and still wants to go on dates. She also cooked for me yesterday without me asking.
Remember that girls LIKES DRAMA. Giving her willingly her break involves no drama and this makes her mad

Jack12345

Banned
Reaction score
best stress relief is sex, sometimes she is so fvcked up that she wants to feel that she deserves to be fvcked.. you dont have to deal with it if it not feels right

zacharie101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Remember that girls LIKES DRAMA. Giving her willingly her break involves no drama and this makes her mad
True although she is truly stressed out and isn't good at coping with it, I do feel like she wants to test me and get some excitement from seeing me fight for her love as they call it smh lol

zacharie101

Don Juan
Reaction score
best stress relief is sex, sometimes she is so fvcked up that she wants to feel that she deserves to be fvcked.. you dont have to deal with it if it not feels right
So, how does one make her feel like she deserves to be fvcked?

Jack12345

Banned
Reaction score
So, how does one make her feel like she deserves to be fvcked?
you dont play her games. Her stress is her family, no reason she needs to throw it on u, you are her island of peace, exit of the stressful reality. If she makes you feel that her family, her job, and her life is ur problem.. f her. She using u. "Take ur break, bye-bye" she knows when she's not right, this is when she knows she deserved to be fvckd

Jack12345

Banned
Reaction score
you dont play her games. Her stress is her family, no reason she needs to throw it on u, you are her island of peace, exit of the stressful reality. If she makes you feel that her family, her job, and her life is ur problem.. f her. She using u. "Take ur break, bye-bye" she knows when she's not right, this is when she knows she deserved to be fvckd
Stupid drama lol

Dash Riprock

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Would you really take a woman back after something like that? Surely you are aware of what they're going to be doing in the meantime...
We don't know all the details here and there are always lots of moving parts. Because it's 2 years and not 2 months or 2 weeks, in which I would probably eject, I would likely give her an opportunity to change her approach to the relationship. I would set (or reset) boundaries, let it be known what I'm not ok with, and then give her and me time to think it over, hence the two week minimum time out. Basically, give her some rope to either hang herself or crawl to safety. The choice is hers.