Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Men's Fashion Resources

CopperHead

Don Juan
Reaction score
I want to start upgrading my wardrobe. I am not good with fashion. I never really had an interest in it. When I go to my barber I tell him to "make it look good." I trust him and he does a great job and occasionally tries different things. I'm clueless as to buying clothes. I try to dress nice but I feel my fashion sense is lacking.

I tried stitch fix for a couple months. I got a few nice pieces of clothing. Most of the stuff they sent me didn't fit well and was much too small. I am 6'3" 220 lbs. I like to dead lift and squat so I have trouble finding pants that fit well. A lot of shirts just seem too short because of my size.

What are some resources to develop my sense of fashion and give me ideas for my new and improved wardrobe. Ideally I would like a mix of casual and formal wear. I am open to any advice.

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wouldn't worry to much about fashion. Sometimes a pair of navy jeans and black leather jacket do the job.

I have a pair of red jeans also.

My favourite stores are Superdry. I like lacoste and diesel too.

Main thing is to be clean and hygienic.

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good for you bud. Looking good can make you feel good.

I would start by searching 'men's fashion essentials'/'men's wardrobe staples'/'how to build a minimalist wardrobe men'/ on youtube. You'll come across channels like:

Alpha m. - 40's?
Teachingmensfashion - late 20's
One Dapper Street - mid 20's
Real Men Real Style - more of a formal menswear channel

Here are some times that I've talked about fashion on this site:
1. 2. 3.

If you start with a nice fitting tshirt. Nice fitting jeans (black, dark denim, light wash denim, grey, chino's....). A basic watch (this was one of my first watches. Got it on eBay for $20 and got 4 straps with it... it's like having 4 watches). And some white/grey versatile shoes, you'll be good to go. This is just a really basic example - it's almost a uniform. You can add variation or find many other things after you do some research.

@nicksaiz65 might also have some more suggestions.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good for you bud. Looking good can make you feel good.

I would start by searching 'men's fashion essentials'/'men's wardrobe staples'/'how to build a minimalist wardrobe men'/ on youtube. You'll come across channels like:

Alpha m. - 40's?
Teachingmensfashion - late 20's
One Dapper Street - mid 20's
Real Men Real Style - more of a formal menswear channel

Here are some times that I've talked about fashion on this site:
1. 2. 3.

If you start with a nice fitting tshirt. Nice fitting jeans (black, dark denim, light wash denim, grey, chino's....). A basic watch (this was one of my first watches. Got it on eBay for $20 and got 4 straps with it... it's like having 4 watches). And some white/grey versatile shoes, you'll be good to go. This is just a really basic example - it's almost a uniform. You can add variation or find many other things after you do some research.

@nicksaiz65 might also have some more suggestions.
I think you pretty much got them bro.

r/malefashionadvice is a good resource.

Alex Costa and Based Zeus are a couple good style resources that you left out.

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is another catch 22.

As an experiment, I bought some "in" fashion clothing. Yes it will attract, but it will also detract.

While conforming to fashion, I did notice attention from a few that otherwise probably wouldn't have been so attentive... yet, toward women with some actual substance, this fashion was a deterrent. The women on both sides seem to ph*ck the same and so, it's not like there's any added bonus for selling out your identity for a piece.

Personally, I think it's more on how you carry yourself. If you feel incomplete if you do not conform, you will probably project this image. If you feel more empowered by not being a hostage to fashion, you'll probably feel more empowered by doing it your way... and feel silly playing "dress up" (I sure did).

Reaction score
I want to start upgrading my wardrobe. I am not good with fashion. I never really had an interest in it. When I go to my barber I tell him to "make it look good." I trust him and he does a great job and occasionally tries different things. I'm clueless as to buying clothes. I try to dress nice but I feel my fashion sense is lacking.

I tried stitch fix for a couple months. I got a few nice pieces of clothing. Most of the stuff they sent me didn't fit well and was much too small. I am 6'3" 220 lbs. I like to dead lift and squat so I have trouble finding pants that fit well. A lot of shirts just seem too short because of my size.

What are some resources to develop my sense of fashion and give me ideas for my new and improved wardrobe. Ideally I would like a mix of casual and formal wear. I am open to any advice.
I've always been told i'm more fashionable than the average guy but I dont do anything special

1) Develop a personal style ---- look on google images/pinterest for styles you like and that fit your personality ( if your a wall street guy dont dress like a rapper. or do . whatever floats your boat)

2) Fit, fit, fit -----Proper fit is 80% of the battle in mens fashion. If possible (cuz ya know covid) go to a tailor and get your measurements and get a copy written down so when comparing to amazon or others you have a reference for your proper size.

3) Don't get suckered by marketing ---- there is plenty of affordable good clothes on amazon at slightly above cost rather than the industry average 8% markup on retail and 60% on designer. However, there is also a lot of cheap asian low quality synthetic garbage. What you could get with $1,000 you could also spend $5,000 for and not get much overall quality increase.

4) youtube channels like alpha m, style og, teaching mens fashion, etc, are great visual resources.

5) Scent - The point of fashion is to LOOK GOOD. but as with food, our sense of smell makes a difference. If your not already doing so, drink enough water, sleep well, get 1 or 2 good quality seasonal colognes. You can put makeup on a pig but its still a pig. haha

6) Muscles - If you got em, show em off ;)

If you find you like the whole mens grooming/fashion thing as you get more into it I'd definetly recommend looking into books on style design so you can start using what you've learned to build your own true style instead of a purely modified version of trends. its the whole "first learn the rules, then break them at your discretion" parable.

Im not really gonna say anything more cuz thats plenty to get started. the next thing is more about how much you enjoy fashion. if so you can experiment a lot more.

Cheers bro!

thinker

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
@CopperHead the most important thing is fit above anything else. A cheap suit that fits you well is way better than an Armani suit that doesn't fit well. I have thick legs, you lift so I imagine that jeans that are to tight would not be good. I always buy relaxed fit jeans that fit me well ( no skinny or baggy jeans for me). Go to bookstores and look through men's magazines like GQ, you don't have to buy them as most of what is in them is shiit, but looking at how the men are dressed in the magazines can give you some mental food to work with. Keep it simple, for casual I wear hiking or some form of masculine looking lace up boots or New Balance cross trainers with well fitting jeans and a T shirt of one of my favorite rock bands (also wear a belt). To dress up a bit more I will switch the T shirt with long sleeve shirt ( plaid pattern, solid color or stripes on solid color). To dress up more, add a black or navy colored jacket to a solid colored or striped shirt with some dress shoes (you are still wearing jeans and for black jacket wear black shoes , for navy colored jacket wear brown shoes). Finally for full dress up black , navy colored suit, and or pinstriped suit. make sure that anything you wear on your upper body frames your shoulders well, again I cannot stress enough how important fit is. Hair cut experiment and see what looks best on you and wear some cologne. This is simple but I have done this since high school and it earned me the nickname GQ, not to mention that girls used to stop me in the hallways and in class and would start touching me and telling me how cute I looked and what great style I had. Don't go for fashion go for style, fashion is temporary but style is eternal.

Scars

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alpha M is a good YouTube channel if you can get past all the shameless self promoting. I recommend watching if you're 30+ and looking for a more mature look. He breaks it down in one of his videos, but all men need to "dress their age". You can't be 30 and dressing like a Soundcloud rapper.. just don't do it.

7onriverI f

Banned
Reaction score
For me its plain t-shirts. Black, Navy Blue, gray or perhaps white.
Jeans navy blue, black, or light blue. The light blue jeans go better with the navy blue t-shirt.

Shoes brown boots.

I've also gone out to clubs in old mans pants fleezy pants or track pants and had girls tap me on the back asking how old I am and wanting to take a photo with me. A lot of it comes down to whether you think your hot ****.

Kitty652

Reaction score
A rather familiar problem. I have the same situation with fashion, I'm with her on "you". I often bought clothes that my friends would never buy. They were always criticizing my clothes and saying that I didn't know how to dress. As it turns out, because of this, I have no success with women. I saw some good style tips for men on Twitter that helped me understand my style and improve my image. I spent the whole day studying the latest trends in men's fashion. As it turns out, even your socks play a role in your style. My appearance has improved a little, it has become better. If you are too lazy to read, just hire a stylist.

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a fairly devout adherent of Ashley Weston on Youtube, she advocates a more sophisticated look for men 30+. I don't agree with all of her advice, but for the most part it suits my personal style. She and her husband are definitely a little snobby but if you're going for the classy, high-status look, she's good.

Alpha M's style is for metrosexuals going for the "bad boy" look with leather jackets, piercings, ripped jeans. lotions, manicured body hair, etc. Frankly I think his style is immature for a man his age (40's) and videos are also essentially commercials for his own products.

Real Men Real Style is a good compromise between Ashley Weston and Alpha M although it does skew more toward formal wear.

Gentleman's Gazette is good if you're going for the 1920's dandy look, which I think looks a little silly, but a lot of the fashion advice is good and also leans more toward formal wear.

DSterlen

Don Juan
Reaction score
Go do all your research and watch all types of videos like everyone else has said. Then..

Get out a piece of actual paper and MAKE A LIST of things that you need.

Don't just start buying random sh*t. You have to wear these things together and they have to work together. It'll also help you get an idea of how much this is all going to cost before you start.

Also, don't buy clothes (or shoes) online. You'll end up stuck with a bunch of crap that doesn't fit right that you waited too long and forgot to return.

Jeans:
Go to the actual real-life store and try them on. Buy the slimmest fit that you're comfortable with looks-wise. Slim is no longer super-trendy, it's just normal now. You don't have to go actual skinny, and probably shouldn't, but if you've been wearing straight or boot cuts then a proper slim fit is going to seem skinny to you.

Plan on spending at least an hour at the store trying on every possible size that might work. Try all different length/waist combinations and all different cuts. Even if you don't want the skinny look, try them on anyway, in at least 2 sizes. It might make you more comfortable with a "slim" fit after seeing what truly "skinny" actually is.

Don't go too long. They'll bunch up along your leg and you'll look like a grown ass man dressing like a street-walking teenager.

Obviously medium/dark blue is going to be your mainstay, but don't forget black and grey. I love white or cream (ecru) colored jeans too, but they need to be washed every single time you wear them, so that's a pain in the ass. Big attention getter though, if you're comfortable with that.

Don't hesitate to have jeans tailored if necessary. The best jeans I've ever had were tailored. So worth it.

I like Calvin Klein for jeans, personally.

Shoes:
Boots. Wear boots. Chicks dig boots, and so will you.
Chukka boots (desert boots) like these are versatile:
https://www.clarksusa.com/c/Desert-Boot/p/26155484
I have these in black suede and a medium tan/brown. There's almost nothing I can't wear them with, except a suit. I went to the Clarks store the other day and they were practically giving sh*t away trying to draw business.

Or a high boot like this

Make sure you get something brown. It immediately sets you apart without being flashy. Medium tan (orange-ish brown) looks nice. Make sure you have a perfectly matching belt.

Avoid squared toes. That sh*t is over, but they still sell enough of them that you might get tricked into thinking they're cool or in style.

Shirts:
If you have trouble finding shirts that fit then you may actually need to go so far as to have t-shirts tailored. I know it sounds crazy but that's what happens when you're built in the gym. You may not be shaped like the mannequin (or fat guy) that clothes are usually cut for. Find something that fits good in the shoulders/sleeves/length and then have it taken in on the sides to match your taper. This goes for basically any shirt, dress shirts, henleys, whatever. It would be better if you could find something off the rack, but if your shape doesn't allow it then this is what you have to do.

Jackets (blazers) for casual wear:
A medium/light grey and medium blue blazer will get all kinds of use, if you actually want to dress up slightly. Get help with the size from a knowledgeable store associate (or well-dressed friend), and don't skimp on the tailoring. These are great with t-shirts and jeans.

Don't get one that's too long, they can look too formal to go well with jeans.

Avoid fabrics that are too shiny or dressy. That also can look too formal with jeans. Go with something with a heathered or slightly knit texture.

You should be able to get two decent jackets from a privately owned (not corporate) 'suit depot' type of joint, tailoring included, for $300-350. Tailoring will probably be 1/3 of the cost.

Last edited:

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good tips above.

Shopping for jeans is a colossal fvcking pain in the a$$ because of the boggling variety of brands, cuts, and sizes, all of which will fit you differently. For instance, a 32-30 slim fit from Levi's fits me differently than a 32-30 slim fit from CK, Banana Republic, Gap, etc. because it has a proprietary cut. So, you'll just have to slog it out at the mall until you find one you like (not doable now, most fitting rooms are closed).

My issue with jeans is never the length or something that can be fixed at a tailor -- it's always the cut and taper around the legs and calves, which you just need to get right the first time unless you want to spend more on the adjustments than on the jeans themselves. The golden ratio is when you pinch the fabric around your thigh, it should be 1-2 inches of fabric.

If sport coats and blazers are too dressy for you for non-professional settings (they are for me), good alternatives are a Harrington jacket or a shawl-collar cardigan. Shawl-collar cardigans also build your chest and shoulders up and accentuate a V torso.

Just don't wear a suit jacket as a sport coat, please. It's fine if you're in your early 20's out clubbing, but not over 30.

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most of the stuff they sent me didn't fit well and was much too small. I am 6'3" 220 lbs. I like to dead lift and squat so I have trouble finding pants that fit well. A lot of shirts just seem too short because of my size.
All good suggestions above.

Look at the videos as mentioned to get a sense of what kinds of styles are in and what you may like.

Always go for the fitted look and comfort and forget about other stuff like brand names, price, etc.

Since you're in a tall and big category, I'd recommend finding a good tailor. Usually one of those Asian seamstress working at a dry cleaners can fit the bill. I work out and also have a hard time finding good fitting clothes. I would say 75% of my clothes have been custom tailored by a seamstress. I usually buy on the bigger side and have the seamstress take in various areas.

If you find or tailor one shirt that fits you like a glove, use that as a reference template to bring to the seamstress so they can just match it up with that. Same with the pants.