Hell, if you're really interested in this guy, you might try to bait him into asking you out.
Now, usually you wouldn't have to do this, but if this guy doesn't get hints easily (and a lot of guys don't...) then it's worth a shot.
A chick I really liked actually did this. I was worried if she liked me or not. This was a few yrs ago of course.
We talked and had chemistry in school. We ended up talking on the internet. (yeah, whatever). I told her about this concert I was going to for the summer. I think I wanted her to come but was too scared to ask. She responded and said she'd really love to go. So of course, I said that would be no problem
Now what she did was kinda forward for a girl. It is kind of like 'inviting yourself', which a lot of people won't do. But it sure as hell worked out for her. Her saying that made it 1000x easier for me to get a hint and ask her to come along.
After that point, I had more confidence altogether and asked her out on a few dates.
I was still kinda shy, so she ended up kissing me first. Blew my mind
Damn I learned a lot from that relationship...
---
So that is what you may have to do. Kind of bait him into asking you to go somewhere. That should get him on the ball if he likes you, without you being way too forward. If he seems like he likes you but is too shy to make any moves (like kiss you...), kissing him is not a bad thing, but from a girl the first kiss should just be a little peck (at least with a shy guy- you still want to be kind of coy).
If the chap still doesn't get the hint, he either doesn't like you or is hopeless.
Hope this helps you- -E-Z