Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Indecisive boss stalling career

isasda66

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have an indecisive boss. His lack of assertiveness is going to stall my career. He has had a relatively slow growth and if he doesnt grow faster the entire team stalls under him.

I guess my only option is to leave and look for another job, which sucks cause I actually like the place I'm at currently and barely been here for 3 years.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yep. You are worth more to an outside company than where oyu are at. It's a proven fact.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Then it's time to sharpen up the resume.

As a software engineer I switch jobs regularly, every one to two years.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look before you leave. Generally speaking, there are lots of valid reasons for businesses to be uncertain these days. Uncertain times bring risk, and Wall Street penalizes risk for a reason.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Then it's time to sharpen up the resume.

As a software engineer I switch jobs regularly, every one to two years.
Is it common for prospective new jobs to contact your current supervisor? Do you give your supervisor a heads up that they'll be contacted, or do they question you about it after the fact, and try re-negotiating?

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man the last thing the world needs is more software lol

isasda66

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Look before you leave. Generally speaking, there are lots of valid reasons for businesses to be uncertain these days. Uncertain times bring risk, and Wall Street penalizes risk for a reason.
I can understand businesses being uncertain but here he cant stand by his decisions. I get it that if youre wrong then you need to change opinions etc.

That and the boss isnt as ambitious, aggressive or assertive. Cant say no keeps taking on more than we can handle and finally in the long run its going to be a weak foundation. He's such a pushover he did 300k worth of billables for free. That affects the team cause you're giving away outputs but it eats into our bonus pool. And no the 300k was by being bullied by the client and not to build relationship or credibility.

Is it common for prospective new jobs to contact your current supervisor? Do you give your supervisor a heads up that they'll be contacted, or do they question you about it after the fact, and try re-negotiating?
In my field they generally contact HR just as a formality to confirm basics such as titles and duration of employment.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
These days you can go through an interview process and references will only be contacted
after an offer has been offered/accepted.

When you hand in your notice/resignation, depending on your position/value, you may be counter offered. I always advise against accepting a counter offer, most employees that accept counter offers leave within 12 months anyway. You will also be first to get cut if any cuts are made. Sometimes it’s good to accept counter offers and use the new salary/package to get an increase in the next move.

Generally though it’s best to keep things moving.