Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

If you had a million dollars...

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What would you do with it?

How would you spend it? Would you save it? Blow it in the brothels? Play Humanitarian until it ran out? Invest it? Burn it in a monk-like ceremony?

Reaction score
BluEyes said:
What would you do with it?

How would you spend it? Would you save it? Blow it in the brothels? Play Humanitarian until it ran out? Invest it? Burn it in a monk-like ceremony?
I would convert it to Euros or put it in GOLD! The dollar is being "set-up" for a fall!!

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What I DID was make sure all my bills were paid 2 years in advance.. silly it may seem.. you weren't living from day to day for 4 years.. it's refreshing to knowing you don't have t spend the day scrambling for money to pay anyone.

Buy some type of real estate. if you have a million dollars and you are renting **** you are a dumb ****. Well.. lol, I must be a dumb **** because I am renting my crib in Del Mar, but I own my house in Arkansas, title and all.

Make sure you have a respectable car. some nice clohtes for any occussion. Take some type of vacation. that's pretty much it. anything else is dumb as 1 mil isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
Buy some type of real estate. if you have a million dollars and you are renting **** you are a dumb ****.
Not necessarily. Buying at the peak of the greatest housing bubble in history probably isn't the best idea.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
Buy some type of real estate. if you have a million dollars and you are renting **** you are a dumb ****.
Not necessarily. Buying at the peak of the greatest housing bubble in history probably isn't the best idea. I'd at least wait for all this subprime mess to shake out the froth in the market before I'd seriously consider buying any real estate(in CA anyway).

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I came by 1 million dollars with no strings attached, I would...[LONG]

Put $950 000 into the Euro.

Take the other $50k and travel the world, living out of a backpack, being dirtcheap, hitchhiking, living in hostels/tents/under the stars. I would work in menial jobs for extra cash(only using the 50k as a fallback).

Probably start somewhere in northern canada..the yukon mabye, and hitchhike ON FOOT across canada and down in united states, enjoying life. Once I'd seen north america I'd head down into mexico, through mexico and down the landbridge to panama.. Find a dirty job and work there for a bit, make some more cash. Once I'd grown tired of panama I'd head south and down into columbia and venezuala. All the way down to argentina to the tip of south america. Then journey up the coast again and strike out overland down the amazon basin to the atlantic.
From there hike down to Buenos aires, and fly out to Europe. Hitchhike all over the continent, and experienc new things.
After that would be down into Africa, probably Egypt first. Strike out up the nile valley, into sudan(okay..mabye not sudan), and all the way up the nile into the jungle. From there strike out west. Walk the kalahari, and down into South Africa.
Start in moscow russia and hike across the entire landmass to mongolia, through mongolia into china, down china into south east asia and vietnam/thailand. Likely stop in singapore and rest for a while. Then head out in an Ocean Kayak into the indian ocean and travel through Indonesia, borneo, east timor and papua new guinea.

Finally I would kayak home, to Australia and hike down the coast to my home.

I would be taking extensive notes in a journal, and mabye even take a video recorder. Record the entire adventure, which would take the better part of 10 years, and mabye publish that in correspondance with a travel book.

Then, start my life over, and possibly finish university. By then I'll have found out who I am and what I want to do with life. Oh yeah, and there would be $950 000 + 10 years of interest on that money in the bank to start that new life :)

------

Sorry I have a bit of an imagination. Anybody who took the time to read my post now has greater insight as to what I like to do.

------

Personally I can think of no better life. You have not only travelled the world, but EXPERIENCED it. Enough to write a thick book, and make a movie. In almost 10 years of walking the world, you would be wise beyond your years, and done in that timespan what the frightening majority of humans never even dream of doing.

If I had a million dollars...

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are getting too technical.

Buying is better than renting. in 3 years of rent you have paid what...100k in rent wiht nothing to show for it.

If you BUY you have invested 100k into owning your house.

The "bubble' has been going to "burst" for years.. and while I don't keep my money here, I don't live in the fear that there "might" be something going to happen. I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just saying you still have to do normal everyday ****.

the only reason I haven't bought a house in CA is because the one I am living in, which if I really wanted to I could buy tomorrow.. I don't really want. it's nice, it's very nice.. but everyday I drive home I pass the house I WANT.

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'd definitely get into real estate. once i know what the hell i'm talking about.

i don't think i'd ever "invest" in stocks or such.

with real estate, i know i can control it more than stocks.

then i'd use my money from real estate to pay for college.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
You are getting too technical.

Buying is better than renting. in 3 years of rent you have paid what...100k in rent wiht nothing to show for it.
100k in rent over 3 years? LOL, you must renting your own private island or something! My share of the rent is $875 a month. So I'll have paid a bit over $30k after 3 years at that rate. If I had to go out and buy a house around here, even just a so so house, I'd be looking at $3000 a month mortage, plus about $600 in property taxes(though I'd get some of it back at tax time), several hundred in insurance, dropping a few hundred for maintenance. Plus fact in if that house falls by just $30,000 over the same period of time, I will have been better off renting. I think the average house is staged to fall by WAAAAY more than that much. I think we're looking at a housing collapse as credit markets crumble and foreclosures continue skyrocketing.

If you BUY you have invested 100k into owning your house.
Most the first 3 years is going to interest anyway if you look at the amortization table. Not much of the house will actually be "owned" at that point by the buyer. That's assuming the house will even held value.

The "bubble' has been going to "burst" for years..
Yeah I know. Many people have been calling bubble for a long time while the market kept going up. But then people were calling dotcom bubble years before it bombed and they were considered fools. But they were looking at the fundamentals of the market and that the P/E ratios didn't make sense. Robert Schiller was one of the loudest bears of the dotcom bubble and he was right, and he's been saying the same about housing for some time now.

and while I don't keep my money here, I don't live in the fear that there "might" be something going to happen. I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just saying you still have to do normal everyday ****.
I hear ya. There's a psychological value in a home that can't be measured with economic charts and it might be worth it to some people, bubble or not.

the only reason I haven't bought a house in CA is because the one I am living in, which if I really wanted to I could buy tomorrow.. I don't really want. it's nice, it's very nice.. but everyday I drive home I pass the house I WANT.
And I guarantee you that by the time you're ready to buy in a few years it will be cheaper than it is now.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My share of the rent is $875 a month.
x3

Most the first 3 years is going to interest anyway if you look at the amortization table. Not much of the house will actually be "owned" at that point by the buyer. That's assuming the house will even held value.
which is STILL better 9 out of 10 times than renting. I know what youa re trying to say.. IN Sarasota it was definatly a renter's market.. I was renting a 2100 SQ condo a block away from the ocean for 1100 bucks a month. That's crack prices.

And I guarantee you that buy the time you're ready to buy in a few years it will be cheaper than it is now.
It might be. And Real Estate isn't my strong point. Horses are. My mom owns alot of real estate, a couple of apartments and some rent houses and I have an uncle on my ohter side of the family who runs a million dollar real estate financing company.. if I need advice I call them (with prefence going to my uncle).

but I know if I want the damn house on the ocean, and I can buy it, I'm not waiting for 2 years for a "buyers market".. damnit I want the fvcking house. if I can buy it I'm going to buy it.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmmm!

I'd try to break it up and do lots with it. Two weeks at a nice spa getting totally pampered, donate some to the American Cancer Society and other worthy charities, maybe take Backbreaker's advice and buy some property. (Hell! Maybe I'll give Backbreaker some money to "invest" for me at the track. He seems to be pretty damn good at it!) I'd travel a bit, buy a nice mid-range car with good gas milage. Make sure my family is taken care of...yeah. That's what I'd do.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol, actually..lol, seriously, if you said "spend 1 million dollars"... I would have took 630k of it, bought The filly that sold last week that is by a dam that has sired Roman Ruler, El Corrdor and the new hot 2YO Maimonides... I wouldn't even bohter racing her.. that's not the point. She'd be a baby machine. Assuming she's furtile, and she doesn't die in 1 or 2 years.. you literarly couldnt' loose money. She's a commecial dam... you cross her with stallions like Giant's Causeway, Storm Cat, AP Indy, Distored Humor, Gone West, Mr. Greeley, etc, and you get 7 figure babies off pedigree alone. one a year.

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Her dam, Silvery Swan, who never saw a race track in her life, but came from a Great female family that had a history of producing great horses, herself, has produced yearlings that sold for 1.25 Million (Silver Tornado), 500k (Roman ruler, now the hottest Stallion in the country) and...yes...4.6 MILLION dollars (Maimonides), not including the 600k yearling she sold who I am suggesting to buy now this year. She's only 13 years of age..she has another 4 at least babies in her. They paid I think 200k for her.. I might e a little off, back in 95. They've made over 7 millino from here with more to come. if they were smart, they would package her up in foal to AP Indy and sell her at a mixed sale for 3 mil.

that's a return on investment. Everything that's going to pop out of Rags to Riches is going to be worth at least 3 million. the hottest female family in racing and she's a damn good filly herself (ovbiously) As well as Peeping fawn, they come from the same family, in fact they are actually cousins.

Boy if own a Mare that won a Grade 1 or even a Grade 2 with any type of famiily that has any black type.. you are sittin VERY pretty. I know a girl that's 24 (met her though my GF) who inherited half of a very very good and popular filly.. the mare has produced 2 babies so far and she's damn near got more money than I do. she has.. literarly.. about 400 pair of shoes.. drives a porsche... she has a 500k-1mil check coming every year and doesn't have to do **** for it. She even owns a couple of racing mares which she bought.. one is actually very good, and will make more bank off them.. if she wasn't so damn chubby she'd be an option :)

lol, you think [SIZE=-1]John Magnier became one of the richest men in Ireland and one of the richest on earth by flipping homes? The man spent 16 million dollars on the green monkey and could care less if he wins or not. He just bought half of the 2YO Majestic Warrior from George Steinbrinter for from what I hear, 20 mil.. for half the damn horse. and when he retires, will probalby pay 40 more for the other half.

There was a woman here at the sales I think 2 days ago we were sitting next two who wouldn't shut the **** up the entire day.. she had a stakes winning mare she home bred, bred him to a Relativey cheap but talented stallion newcomer (Candy Ride, who I actually like.. very closely related to Invasor.. and probalby honestly a better horse when he was healthy)I think his stud fee was 10k. Count in another 10k for board and misc fees utnl the yearling is old enough to sale.. they sold the yearling for 180k. Yeah.. even on a smaller scale that's not chump change. she was so happy (the first time she has ever seen money like that from what I understand) she wanted to buy everyone within an earshot of her dinner
[/SIZE]

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pay off all my debts and then buy alcohol with the rest

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"If i had a million dollars, id buy a damn brewery, and turn the planet into alchoholics.."- Slim Shady

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a million dollars and it's not a big deal.
You keep working and save more.
Life is long and living where I live is very expensive.
A million dollars is not what it use to be.

Stuntmann

Banned
Reaction score
I'd take about 250k and invest. Double that money, and then invest that doubled amount, again, again, and again.

The rest I'd put into savings account, something FDIC insured that will give me percentage monthly. I'd live rich off that income.

I'll be using money to make money. Instead of spending money.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
...The "bubble' has been going to "burst" for years.. and while I don't keep my money here, I don't live in the fear that there "might" be something going to happen.
Besides, real estate can be purchased below its market value because people are afraid to invest.