Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to get a programming/developer job without a degree

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
qa is a good shout - you learn a heap as a qa, great way to get into dev.
you do. I would say my process to ensure my **** works is more rigorous than my fellow dev. Part of that too is having been a numbers guy at my other jobs, and knowing how to really test everything in a more experimental manner. Most people focus on the wrong things, and waste time. If you do QA well, and learn what to look at, it allows you to figure out what best to look at and what not to waste time in!

revolutionnow

Banned
Reaction score
Computer talk is Chinese to me, but I've known of Interactive Brokers for a long time. If you ever have questions about trading stocks, I have been out of the business a while, but I can help you with general questions. If you are working on a trading system, I'm sure I could help a lot with that.
message me

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There is someone who worked in web however fortunately his place of work involved big clients and he went on to become self employed, got these contracts/clients from his work and then made some sort of software which he has clients around the world. He is a very wealthy man now.

Roober

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm looking to learn. I have some ideas about creating an Uber like platform for public education. What is the right language for that?

f(x)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Cracking the Coding Interview By Gayle Laakman McDowell is basically a distilled CS degree. It can be purchased on Amazon used for about $25. A lot of whiteboard interview questions are pulled directly from it.

One of my 2020 goals is to learn C, specifically pointers and get more comfortable with Unix and Vim. I’m also taking a course in applied linear algebra. Good luck!

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Amazon is hiring like mad now and a lot of computer based jobs does not require a college degree.

If you learn and know how to program and the fundamental concepts and can pass the technical interview and/or mini project, you can get hired.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Coursera is the best resource to develop skills online for a minimal cost in my opinion.

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Coursera is the best resource to develop skills online for a minimal cost in my opinion.
For those that want a less structured and non-university like program, that most use that are in the Software/IT field is Pluralsight. It is very affordable and gives you a lot of videos that are more easily digestible. Everyone I know in that field uses that or have used it at some point.

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I know someone who used to hack into hotel system and he would approach them and say this, that i could do and he would then get money for doing testing, IT security stuff.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Coursera, edX.org, pluralsight and Udemy are all great resources as are YouTube videos and coding challenge sites like LeetCode, HackerRank, CodeWars, etc...

For front end developers tho, there is nothing that compares to Fullstackopen.org, a modern JavaScript(react I believe) course by the University of Helsinki in Finland that is amazingly well done.

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Nobody is going to hire you without a degree. Get real.

Unless you are so incredibly talented that they cannot do without you, which is that case, makes YOU incredibly rare, and likely not a blueprint that normal people can follow.
That's what I was told by everyone including IT Recruiters after I had been developing on my own for about 7-8 years. Luckily for me I never give a crap what anyone else thinks, because I don't put others self-imposed limitations they have onto myself.

I ended up getting hired as a junior developer at age 40 with no CS degree and no professional experience. In 4 years I reached senior developer by switching jobs a few times. In 3 more years I tripled my salary and am in a fantastic place financially and career wise and I am a bad ass muthafvcka writing code.

Impossible is nothing. Block out the noise. When people tell you something can't be done it's because they don't feel THEY can do it. Been hearing it all my life and been making people look like idiots for just as long. I'm not built like that. I'm capable of anything I put my mind to. I have no limits. I don't get discouraged when I am told I can't do something, I get livid and then I channel my energy into proving them wrong if it's the last thing I do. Betting against me is a losing proposition.