Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to get a programming/developer job without a degree

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel you would have a good shot if you go the self taught road. Just have a strong portfolio

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I received a message from a start up company wishing me to be a silent partner and receive 40% of their company.

I'm still thinking about it. This is one of the many ways you can be self employed as a programmer/developer.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I received a message from a start up company wishing me to be a silent partner and receive 40% of their company.

I'm still thinking about it. This is one of the many ways you can be self employed as a programmer/developer.
Nice! What kind of stack are you working with? Would you be building the platform?

Developers in the US are very hard to find. Technical founders are in a buyers market!

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice! What kind of stack are you working with? Would you be building the platform?

Developers in the US are very hard to find. Technical founders are in a buyers market!
Thanks.

It's more or less android and ios mobile app development for their start up company. They want me to build an app for free first and then get projects through his network, contacts.

However I'm still thinking about it and haven't made a decision yet.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks.

It's more or less android and ios mobile app development for their start up company. They want me to build an app for free first and then get projects through his network, contacts.

However I'm still thinking about it and haven't made a decision yet.
I would demand some sort of remuneration for this. Equity, cash or a combination of both. They aren't going to just find a decent developer who can build a good platform for cheap. Companies here cannot find people to fill positions these days - most don't have the skills, or don't want to switch their jobs. You have more negotiating power than they would lead you to believe.

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would demand some sort of remuneration for this. Equity, cash or a combination of both. They aren't going to just find a decent developer who can build a good platform for cheap. Companies here cannot find people to fill positions these days - most don't have the skills, or don't want to switch their jobs. You have more negotiating power than they would lead you to believe.
Hey man,

Thanks for the support, advice and suggestion

Yes I'll take this into suggestion.

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just an update.

So the Ebay business did not go well lol.

I'm going to be running a web, app dev business pretty much looking for projects, big projects. I'll do a lot of networking.

Last edited:

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This may be a bit off topic for this thread. But am I the only one who thinks that it might be better if most programming languages weren't case sensitive? Lol.

One of the more frustrating things at my internship is when
Object.toString doesn't work at all but
Object.ToString does haha

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just an update.

So the Ebay business did not go well lol.

I'm going to be running a web, app dev business pretty much looking for projects, big projects. I'll do a lot of networking.
Are u in the uk or elsewhere?

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This may be a bit off topic for this thread. But am I the only one who thinks that it might be better if most programming languages weren't case sensitive? Lol.

One of the more frustrating things at my internship is when
Object.toString doesn't work at all but
Object.ToString does haha
syntax was always important, remember the idea was always to you do the thinking and the machine the work, and a computer what ahve of smart there is of dumb, you need to put everything in a way its easy for him to understand.

all in all there is a lot of languages some are harder then just this, other are somewhere trying to make things easy, and in some you don't even need to code the program will code the most graphical things but you still will have to work on the functional part

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For the CS Workers in here, is it good to put clubs and leadership positions from college on your resume? For example, I was a Student Orientation Assistant and I'm also a member of a programming club. I was wondering if companies cared about that kind of stuff.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For the CS Workers in here, is it good to put clubs and leadership positions from college on your resume? For example, I was a Student Orientation Assistant and I'm also a member of a programming club. I was wondering if companies cared about that kind of stuff.
They generally want to see that you are interested in programming outside of your studies, so any extra curricular stuff such as clubs, meetups, hackathons, lightning talks etc will score you brownie points.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They generally want to see that you are interested in programming outside of your studies, so any extra curricular stuff such as clubs, meetups, hackathons, lightning talks etc will score you brownie points.
Cool. I'm thinking about going to a Hackathon this year actually. Do you get to put that on your resume even if you don't win anything? How exactly would you word that on your resume?

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool. I'm thinking about going to a Hackathon this year actually. Do you get to put that on your resume even if you don't win anything? How exactly would you word that on your resume?
Yea you put it in there even if you don’t win. They are trying to gauge how interested you are in programming.

At the end of your resume where u put your other interests you include it in there. At least that’s where I put mine.

Don’t be afraid to exaggerate a bit either, you have to sell yourself.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea you put it in there even if you don’t win. They are trying to gauge how interested you are in programming.

At the end of your resume where u put your other interests you include it in there. At least that’s where I put mine.

Don’t be afraid to exaggerate a bit either, you have to sell yourself.
A teacher told us in class that employees want people who are actually passionate about Computer Science, not people who just memorize and then forget everything to pass classes and get a degree. That sounds about right to me lol.

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Saying all this.

Without no experience or certifications you can land yourself a it helpdesk role with customer service experience, it could really be anything.

Papa_smu

Banned
Reaction score
Saying all this.

Without no experience or certifications you can land yourself a it helpdesk role with customer service experience, it could really be anything.
You really don't want a help desk job if you can help it. Trust me.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Saying all this.

I landed in a QA role, and transitioned into actual development. You ideally want the most exposure to the systems you'll be coding, and im not sure help desk will provide that. But depending on the company, one can transition from helpdesk as I have seen...but it might take a bit longer. I recall you saying you have coded before, so you can augment that experience with your work ; this will help.

As I might have said earlier, It helps to have a full project to work on. I coded and deployed an entire marketplace app using ruby on rails, so this provided a ton of experience. It is full featured. This gets attention from recruiters and potential employers. Most coders I know work on small projects, but the scope is narrow. In my opinion, starting something from scratch, coding it, deploying it, and testing it allow you to touch all aspects.

best of luck!

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I landed in a QA role, and transitioned into actual development. You ideally want the most exposure to the systems you'll be coding, and im not sure help desk will provide that. But depending on the company, one can transition from helpdesk as I have seen...but it might take a bit longer. I recall you saying you have coded before, so you can augment that experience with your work ; this will help.

As I might have said earlier, It helps to have a full project to work on. I coded and deployed an entire marketplace app using ruby on rails, so this provided a ton of experience. It is full featured. This gets attention from recruiters and potential employers. Most coders I know work on small projects, but the scope is narrow. In my opinion, starting something from scratch, coding it, deploying it, and testing it allow you to touch all aspects.

best of luck!
qa is a good shout - you learn a heap as a qa, great way to get into dev.