How to coffee...

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't know caffeine does this
The one big very negative with caffeine is that is mess up your internal biological clock, so you never feel that you are tired. As caffeine blocks the brains receptors for registering tiredness, the brain responds with building even more of these receptors which then results in you need to drink even more coffee to fight off the feeling of being tired and so it goes in a endless cycle. This is why most coffee drinkers totally crash if they ever attempt to stop drinking coffee. They (coffee drinkers), simply then have WAY too many tiredness receptors and the brain will have to reverse the damage of what it build in numbers of receptors over the years and reduce these tiredness receptors to normal levels with can take a few weeks up to two, three months. When drinking coffee on a daily basis to the level where you MUST have it, then you hit the cycle of perpetual tiredness.

Its never good to block your body's signals where it tells you to sleep.
There is a reason for it and you should normally sleep when the body tells you too. It's kind of a no brainer.

Drinking coffee now and then is of course fine because you are not doing a daily caffeine intake so your biological watch stays solid..
Same thing with energy drinks and why you should not use it more than absolutely necessary when you are really tired and really need to get that work done etc.. ;)

Yes, caffeine has positive effects on the body too. Its just a question of outweighing what you think is the most important for you.

Last edited:

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My brother and i were talking about why we think Italians love espresso instead of big cups of coffee like Americans.
When I ordered a cappuccino in the afternoon in Italy, some macho Italian told me that Italian men only drank cappuccino at breakfast.
I told him that Dutch masculinity wasn't measured in how you drink your coffee.

However, my nephrologist explained to me that the body reacts differently to coffee without milk or with milk. Without milk, your body views coffee as a 'drink' and doesn't make insulin to deal with your 'drink'. When you drink coffee with milk (or milk in general), your body views it as 'food' and makes insulin to deal with the 'food'.

So, in that sense it makes sense to only drink (coffee with) milk in the morning at breakfast.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I didn't know caffeine does this. Sounds like a good idea then.

What's the forum's opinion on instant coffee? It's a trade off between time and quality. Drinking instant coffee is not only faster to prepare but you also don't have to wait for it to cool down. Very convenient, but I've never found an instant coffee I actually enjoy. It usually needs to be masked with some sugar.
Caffeine is very recognized for it's fat burning ability but the liver protecting effects from coffee come from Chlorogenic acid.

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Caffeine is very recognized for it's fat burning ability but the liver protecting effects from coffee come from Chlorogenic acid.
There is both the good and bad effects of caffeine. So its basically down to "pick your poison". As always it also about "how much" and like everything else too much of something usually makes you an addict of it. An balanced diet is probably the key here.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
There is both the good and bad effects of caffeine. So its basically down to "pick your poison". As always it also about "how much" and like everything else too much of something usually makes you an addict of it. An balanced diet is probably the key here.
Everything comes down to how much. Even drinking too much water can kill you due to diluting the electrolyte balance your heart requires to pump properly

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Was talking with my homeboy yesterday about how coffee is yet another underrated aspect of being an allround DJ.
I think the ability to brew a great cup of coffee is important if it's important to you personally.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My brother and i were talking about why we think Italians love espresso instead of big cups of coffee like Americans
I doubt if Italians would call those big American cups 'coffee'. :D

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
James Hoffman has alot of great and entertaining videos about coffee. He has also written two great books ok it

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most of the time it's V60. Grind my own beans, I buy the good stuff that's freshly roasted. So simple and cheap equipment, yet so good coffee.
A good grinder is more important than a good espresso machine. And for the taste it's best to grind just enough for a few cups, so the ground coffee doesn't go stale. But I'm sure you know that.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not a coffee drinker tho, but more for tea.
I drink both, I also have drip pots and use mainly loose tea ('Golden' Lapsang Souchon and Earl Grey 'Superior' from Simon Levelt).

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I sometimes roast my own coffee in an air popcorn popper. Its a cheap way to do it. Maybe one day i will splurge for a better method but the results can actually be really great

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I sometimes roast my own coffee in an air popcorn popper. Its a cheap way to do it. Maybe one day i will splurge for a better method but the results can actually be really great
I sometimes see those hand-turned single load roasters and wonder if they're any good. My beans are roasted by a pro roaster, but I might enjoy dabbling in the roasting.

ThisIsSparta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is how i operate:

I have been using Bialetti for years now (fully automatic coffee machine before) and grind it myself. I switched to 100% robusta beans and never looked back to arabica due to the much lower acid level.

I drink it black and 1-3 cups a day, the last being around 1400, anything later doesnt do anything to my energy.

My opinion on energy-levels/"addiction":
While i made the experience that my energy is in general more balanced over the day if i dont drink coffee, i never felt any signs of "addiction" asides from being a bit more tired for the first couple of days on caffein withdrawal.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I drink 6-7 cups of espresso per day just to ground me with my daily cannabis intake. Addiction is not a worry for me.

Serenity

Reaction score
A good grinder is more important than a good espresso machine. And for the taste it's best to grind just enough for a few cups, so the ground coffee doesn't go stale. But I'm sure you know that.
Definitely, I weigh the beans to grind for the amount of coffee I want to brew. Doesn't even take more time, it's done in the time it takes to heat the water.

I need a new grinder though, there's too much fines coming out of my current one regardless of grind setting.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I need a new grinder though, there's too much fines coming out of my current one regardless of grind setting.
I use a professional Mahlkönig grinder (with a vibrating plate to shake the bags under the spout) that I bought secondhand and fixed up, so if that is an option for you (some technical ability), you can look in the secondhand market to find a pro grinder and put in new grind plates.

RazorRambo24

Banned
Reaction score
Imo never found anything better than grinding my own coffee and using a French Press. Efficient, best tasting coffee, simple.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Imo never found anything better than grinding my own coffee and using a French Press. Efficient, best tasting coffee, simple.
I'm partial to espresso, but French Press is definitely better than most drip pots.