Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Healthy Foods on budget

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score
  1. Look out for salmon tails. I sometimes see these at my fish mongers. They’re the tail end of the fillet and often get tossed out. They have lots of lovely skin on them (the most nutritious bit of the fish…please don’t discard!!). They’re half the price of the rest of the fillet and cook up beautifully.
  2. I buy discount meats, hard cheese and smallgoods in bulk. Perishable items are often discounted a few days before their “best before” date. I buy up and freeze what I can’t use straight away. Mince is a great one to buy when it’s discounted. I turn it into meatballs and freeze them immediately.
  3. I cook cheap cuts-offs, offal and other unpopular parts of an animal. They’re cheaper, sustainable and often more flavoursome and nutritious.
  4. I buy seasonally and locally. If it’s not in season you shouldn’t be eating it for a whole bunch of reasons – health, carbon miles and undercutting local farmers. Buying asparagus from Mexico or pink grapefruit from Peru is criminal.
  5. keep my freezer full. It’s more energy efficient that way, as solids freeze at a lower temperature than air.
  6. use the brine or oil from olives, anchovies or marinated feta as a salad dressing. Brine from canned tuna can be repurposed to sautee veggies and almost empty mustard jars become dressing shakers, to use up the very last bits.
  7. I create different scrap bags in the freezer. I add vegetable and fruit cut-offs, herb stalks and other scraps as I go along. I have one for vegetable stock, chicken and fish stock, a leftover pesto bag and a smoothie bag.
  8. I regrow the cut-off roots of the veggies and herbs I cooked with. This works with shallots, coriander and lemongrass, bok choy, celery and cos lettuce, ginger and turmeric. You can even repurpose the top of a pineapple to grow a hipster-esque palm plant!
  9. slow cook. It’s the most sustainable (and nutritious) way to prepare your meals. Did you know that a slow-cooker uses less energy than a light bulb?
  10. I don’t buy more until I’ve finished what I already have. I completely run out of yoghurt before I set out to buy another, that way I find myself using up the last of the sour cream or cheese in the interim.
  11. I ignore “best before” labels. The use-by date tells you when a food must be eaten for health and safety reasons, whereas the best-before date gives a rough indication of when it’s best to eat. Many countries have actually removed the “best before” date because they cause totally unnecessary food tossing. I ignore them. You should, too.

derby1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you literally live in Zimbabwe?

This is a genuine question? you've written an interesting piece, and now i can see why were as entitled AF in the UK.

"Poor" in the UK, is 4 take outs a week, and booze everynight.

SirBigBell

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
  1. Look out for salmon tails. I sometimes see these at my fish mongers. They’re the tail end of the fillet and often get tossed out. They have lots of lovely skin on them (the most nutritious bit of the fish…please don’t discard!!). They’re half the price of the rest of the fillet and cook up beautifully.
  2. I buy discount meats, hard cheese and smallgoods in bulk. Perishable items are often discounted a few days before their “best before” date. I buy up and freeze what I can’t use straight away. Mince is a great one to buy when it’s discounted. I turn it into meatballs and freeze them immediately.
  3. I cook cheap cuts-offs, offal and other unpopular parts of an animal. They’re cheaper, sustainable and often more flavoursome and nutritious.
  4. I buy seasonally and locally. If it’s not in season you shouldn’t be eating it for a whole bunch of reasons – health, carbon miles and undercutting local farmers. Buying asparagus from Mexico or pink grapefruit from Peru is criminal.
  5. keep my freezer full. It’s more energy efficient that way, as solids freeze at a lower temperature than air.
  6. use the brine or oil from olives, anchovies or marinated feta as a salad dressing. Brine from canned tuna can be repurposed to sautee veggies and almost empty mustard jars become dressing shakers, to use up the very last bits.
  7. I create different scrap bags in the freezer. I add vegetable and fruit cut-offs, herb stalks and other scraps as I go along. I have one for vegetable stock, chicken and fish stock, a leftover pesto bag and a smoothie bag.
  8. I regrow the cut-off roots of the veggies and herbs I cooked with. This works with shallots, coriander and lemongrass, bok choy, celery and cos lettuce, ginger and turmeric. You can even repurpose the top of a pineapple to grow a hipster-esque palm plant!
  9. slow cook. It’s the most sustainable (and nutritious) way to prepare your meals. Did you know that a slow-cooker uses less energy than a light bulb?
  10. I don’t buy more until I’ve finished what I already have. I completely run out of yoghurt before I set out to buy another, that way I find myself using up the last of the sour cream or cheese in the interim.
  11. I ignore “best before” labels. The use-by date tells you when a food must be eaten for health and safety reasons, whereas the best-before date gives a rough indication of when it’s best to eat. Many countries have actually removed the “best before” date because they cause totally unnecessary food tossing. I ignore them. You should, too.
Good piece there. Fantastic

SirBigBell

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

This is a genuine question? you've written an interesting piece, and now i can see why were as entitled AF in the UK.

I think the brother is Australian or at least is based in Aus

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score

I'm in Australia, i wouldn't name the account on the country i live in.

derby1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in Australia, i wouldn't name the account on the country i live in.
I wasnt certain so just led with what I knew, Im actually a point now where I believe we need a catastrophic event to humble society. Cause people in the UK would think your from outer space giving that advice

Bingo-Player

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wasnt certain so just led with what I knew, Im actually a point now where I believe we need a catastrophic event to humble society. Cause people in the UK would think your from outer space giving that advice
There is a catastrophic recession on the way for the Uk so that may help bring some back down to reality

I find it baffling the level of wanton consumer spending we have in this country everywhere i look people are mortgaged and financed to the hilt everyone i know seems to be driving brand new cars

The average income is what £20-25K a year

Last edited:

derby1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
everyone i know seems to be driving brand new cars
Dont underestimate how many were left houses by their parents, My daughters mom who is on the welfare, has never worked a day in her life.

shes been left the great nans house, and the mom and dads house, literally all paid off.

These are working class people, but still it amounts to 350k overnight.

I'll be honest it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, how once again shes rewarded.

its no wonder she drives round in her car screaming at people with entitlement.

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a catastrophic recession on the way for the Uk so that may help bring some back down to reality

I find it baffling the level of wanton consumer spending we have in this country everywhere i look people are mortgaged and financed to the hilt everyone i know seems to be driving brand new cars

The average income is what £20-25K a year
gov and leadership can make that situation work for a very long time. it's a political issue at the core. be afraid is the message being told.

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
slow cook. It’s the most sustainable (and nutritious) way to prepare your meals. Did you know that a slow-cooker uses less energy than a light bulb?
I just verified this. Given that I love soup and chili, I think this finally justifies the purchase.

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cabbage and onions. Incredibly healthy and cost-effective. Cabbage especially is one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables you can eat, makes your morning sh!t quick, easy and complete, is half the price per lb than broccoli or cauliflower while delivering similar benefits (cruciferous vegetable family) and will keep in the fridge for weeks. It has proven anti-cancer properties. A large head of cabbage at my local supermarket is $2 and provides a vegetable side for 8-10 dinners. Sauté with sweet onions, olive oil, garlic and a little butter.

Chicken leg quarters are also cost-effective, running about $5 for 4 quarters.

If you’re really tight, then pork in the US is scandalously cheap. My supermarket has it for less than $1 per lb. Those pigs are fed soybeans, however, so that’s introducing a lot of soy into your system. But it’s cheap protein.

Generally speaking, organic produce isn’t worth the premium so I never buy it.

Watch out for tilapia! It’s cheap and delicious— but if it was farmed in Chiner, it was raised in a large vat and fed pig feces. Never buy cheap tilapia that was raised in Chiner.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good tips OP.

I survive pretty much on eggs, fatty fish, and chicken for protein. For carbs it’s oats, beans, potatoes, and honey. I live in kind of a richy area so vegetables are cheapish.

Nice tip with the salad dressing. I make my own as well. Amazing they charge $3-$5 a bottle for water, oil, vinegar, and preservatives. It’s so easy to make.

I’ll add a tip for household cleaning supplies. Spray bottles are a huge goddamn ripoff. All you need is bleach, vinegar, and dish soap. Pick up some empty spray bottles and make your own. (They have different applications so do one of each)

Willie Naylor

Banned
Reaction score
Nice tip with the salad dressing. I make my own as well. Amazing they charge $3-$5 a bottle for water, oil, vinegar, and preservatives. It’s so easy to make.
I make an Orange Sesame dressing, and agree it's so cheap and easy to make your own.

Swiss chard and kiwi are 2 good foods to always have around.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Oatmeal, basmati rice, vegetables, fruits, chicken breast, olive oil, low fat yogurt, etc.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have the extra fat content to spare in your macros(like me lol) I love chicken legs and thighs. Extremely cheap and taste incredible.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
survive pretty much on eggs, fatty fish, and chicken for protein. For carbs it’s oats, beans, potatoes, and honey. I live in kind of a richy area so vegetables are cheapish.
I hear people complaining about their grocery bills and shake my head.

similar diet... ground beef, eggs, chicken, tuna, rice, rice cakes,vegetables, bone broth, ramen... drink water and coffee... I can keep it to around 100 bucks a week. If even that and I feel amazing.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hear people complaining about their grocery bills and shake my head.

similar diet... ground beef, eggs, chicken, tuna, rice, rice cakes,vegetables, bone broth, ramen... drink water and coffee... I can keep it to around 100 bucks a week. If even that and I feel amazing.
I agree bro. The most expensive thing I buy is salmon. I try to do more canned fish- sardines and herring due to cost.

balder

Don Juan
Reaction score
For your overnight oats use frozen fruit. It is cheaper than fresh.
Veg is also cheaper frozen than fresh.

Gluten free is expensive if you just replace gluten foods with gluten free versions. Changing what you actually eat is cheaper. Remove bread from your diet and replace with potatoes or rice

darksprezzatura

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Digging this thread.

I buy macros in bulk.

Chicken breasts thin sliced.
Coconut oil or Olive oil.
Brocolli, zucchini, lettuce + regular veggies.
Cheap low fat sauces like @nicksaiz65 suggested in a similar thread.

I don't eat out or eat anything I don't cook.

Tip: if you're taking risks with meat, please cook it properly, get a meat thermometer if necessary.

75 degrees Celsius is min required internal temp.

Deepak05

Banned
Reaction score
Foods That Actually Help Me Eat Healthier on a Budget
  1. Eggs. Eggs are a huge part of my weekly meal plan. ...
  2. Beans and Lentils. ...
  3. Sweet Potatoes. ...
  4. Whole Chicken. ...
  5. Hummus. ...
  6. Pasta. ...
  7. Frozen Vegetables. ...
  8. Cottage Cheese.