Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Grapes help change gene expression to prevent disease and prolong life

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Very interesting research...been known for a long time that red wine had significant health benefits from some compounds in it but this is the first time I am seeing this about grapes themselves.

Seems to delay and/or prevent fatty liver, helps metabolism, prevents Alzheimer's and prolongs life...

M

member160292

Maybe I skimmed the article too quick, but what exactly are in grapes to give those benefits?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Maybe I skimmed the article too quick, but what exactly are in grapes to give those benefits?
I know there is a compound called resveratrol that is found in wine which I assume would also be in grapes in smaller amounts that is indicated in heart health.

Grapes appear to contain compounds that greatly enhance the effectiveness of antioxidants internally...apparently much more than actually taking extra antioxidants via pills or capsules.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't see anything about white vs red grapes. I have noticed that white wine contains hardly any antioxidants, as compared to red wine.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I didn't see anything about white vs red grapes. I have noticed that white wine contains hardly any antioxidants, as compared to red wine.
Seems like red grapes have higher levels of antioxidants which is not surprising as they are darker in color...other than that very few differences are present between the two.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HiBack InTheGame,
Quite fascinating,helps explain the benefits of a Mediterranean Diet,could be the Resveratrol as you mention....please can anyone explain what"change gene expression"means...hard to believe drinking a few cups of Wine changes your DNA.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Bible Belt,
Not much Resveratrol in White Wine,but evidently beneficial to those with Lung problems.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know there is a compound called resveratrol that is found in wine which I assume would also be in grapes in smaller amounts that is indicated in heart health.

Grapes appear to contain compounds that greatly enhance the effectiveness of antioxidants internally...apparently much more than actually taking extra antioxidants via pills or capsules.
I've heard the exact opposite from David Sinclair, a researcher in longevity. He said the amount of resveratrol in foods is too small to acquire from diet.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HiBack InTheGame,
Quite fascinating,helps explain the benefits of a Mediterranean Diet,could be the Resveratrol as you mention....please can anyone explain what"change gene expression"means...hard to believe drinking a few cups of Wine changes your DNA.
I think what they are getting at is the cell repairing itself with the right signals.

This theory seems right to me.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
HiBack InTheGame,
It doesn't change your DNA, it affects which genes are expressed. Gene expression is regulated by your intake of nutrients, but can also be regulated by hormones or other internal/external factors.

Gene expression, aka reading of genes coded into the DNA, and production of the proteins/molecules/whatever that the gene encodes for, are what is being discussed here. It sounds like grapes cause anti-oxidant genes to express more, which wouldn't otherwise happen if you're eating a junk food diet.

It's probably more healthy overall to just not eat a junk food diet, which is what the Mediterranean diet is. And something else that deserves mention is just how much better the quality of food is in the Mediterranean area, which has a lot to do with ideal growing conditions, long growing seasons, and the fact that most houses have a significant amount of yard dedicated to growing their own food.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
HiBack InTheGame,
Changing gene expression means that certain genes have on/off switches. Some things turn those on which leads to your health going in one direction and others turn them off which leads to your health going in the other direction

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To all the kind Folk who try and explain the gene Changing/selection phenomenum...Thanks,I will do some reading on this...I remember reading years ago that The Irish Potato Famine,explained the generally lower IQ levels of the Irish population compared with their neighbours.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To all the kind Folk who try and explain the gene Changing/selection phenomenum...Thanks,I will do some reading on this...I remember reading years ago that The Irish Potato Famine,explained the generally lower IQ levels of the Irish population compared with their neighbours.
The smart ones tended to escape to America. This doesn't sound like something that would be passed on to offspring.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Kotaix,
As an Organic Gardener from School Days,I heartily agree with all your comments....Not just the nutritional value but the taste....Try an English Spring Potato...Nothing can tittilate the taste buds quite the same or so I thought until a few years ago I spent six weeks vegetating in Fethiye (Turkey) I was self catering and over the Road was a Fishermans and Farmers Market...Well the Vegetables and fruit on offer were amazing....and not just taste,Size!Beetroot that wouldn't fit in a saucepan,Tomatoes whose slices overlapped a round of bread..Later I had the opportunity of visiting a Farm...The answer is of course in the soil,Deep,black,sandy and full of humus...Labourers shovelling manure out of carts...That is part of the answer,lots of compost,activated by animal (Or Human) manures,minimal use of Chemicals.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Billie Pilgrim,
Don't forget that many went to Australia,there they miscegenated with the light fingered gentry who were Prisoners of Mother England...Not sure whose genes won out...Who knows?

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Billie Pilgrim,
Don't forget that many went to Australia,there they miscegenated with the light fingered gentry who were Prisoners of Mother England...Not sure whose genes won out...Who knows?
I have no idea. You figure between the Irish and the English prisoners there would be a spirit of rebellion amongst the populace, but as we can see from the past few years that really hasn't been the case. Lol.