Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gen Z and Sarcasm

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it me or are they full of $h!tty sarcasm?

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's just passive aggressiveness. I dont like it either.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a Gen Z thing. Millennials have done the whole sarcasm and "fluent in sarcasm" thing. Gen Z is still quite young (1997-2012), with the oldest members turning 24 in 2021. The younger part of Gen Z hasn't even reached adulthood.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing I’ve noticed, with all respect to my US cousins, is that Americans talk far more literarily than we do.

I note that online, if I make a sarcastic or ironic comment, Americans take it literally. Eg if there’s a thread about say, lane hoggers and I say “lane hoggers should be executed”, in Britain I don’t need to add a smiley . US comments tend to put “I think that’s too extreme” I then explain that I’m being sarcastic/flippant and they say “well you should add a smiley, how am I supposed to know”

this isn’t a value judgement, it’s just an observation than British folks are much more into dark humour/dry wit/subtlety. You can see this in the US office V UK. The US is more about obvious gags, the UK is about painful cringe comedy.

on the other side, we have terrible teeth and speech laws. I’m not having a go.

oOh Nasty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing I’ve noticed, with all respect to my US cousins, is that Americans talk far more literarily than we do.

I note that online, if I make a sarcastic or ironic comment, Americans take it literally. Eg if there’s a thread about say, lane hoggers and I say “lane hoggers should be executed”, in Britain I don’t need to add a smiley . US comments tend to put “I think that’s too extreme” I then explain that I’m being sarcastic/flippant and they say “well you should add a smiley, how am I supposed to know”

this isn’t a value judgement, it’s just an observation than British folks are much more into dark humour/dry wit/subtlety. You can see this in the US office V UK. The US is more about obvious gags, the UK is about painful cringe comedy.

on the other side, we have terrible teeth and speech laws. I’m not having a go.
You have the set of Americans who are too stupid to realize sarcasm so they answer seriously to sarcastic statements or questions. And then you have snowflakes who are sarcastic and passive aggressive about everything to everyone until they find someone who agrees with them and then they love them. These low-T internet nerds having a channel and means of banding together on the internet is a pandemic.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You have the set of Americans who are too stupid to realize sarcasm so they answer seriously to sarcastic statements or questions. And then you have snowflakes who are sarcastic and passive aggressive about everything to everyone until they find someone who agrees with them and then they love them. These low-T internet nerds having a channel and means of banding together on the internet is a pandemic.
we have tons of stupid people too. I’ve actually found your average American has a better vocabulary than your average Brit.
Other than that the main difference is religion, Americans are deeply religious compared to us, who are almost universally atheist. Saying you’re religious is something to be ashamed of here and people will tend to think you’re dim.
Other difference is Americans are WAY nicer and more friendly and supportive. We are tons more cynical. We don’t like to see others succeed but Americans are full of “GO YOU!!!”
Ironic also that the US seems much more violent and confrontational, yet people are friendlier. It’s almost like under the surface there’s violence but a very smiley surface.

bat soup

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that many women put “fluent in sarcasm” in their dating profiles. That’s her way of saying that she’s an insufferable tw@t. Instant left swipe.
If they write anything at all, it's almost always something ugly and negative. If I see too much text I just assume it´s something stupid and swipe left.

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score
Is it me or are they full of $h!tty sarcasm?
I'm part of Gen Z and I can say yes, not just for women but men. Our memes are often post irony/sarcastic so it's the only type of humour we have.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late

Agreed. And I don’t think Americans banter as much as Brits do.

TheCharmingGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that many women put “fluent in sarcasm” in their dating profiles. That’s her way of saying that she’s an insufferable tw@t. Instant left swipe.
It’s the same as the ones with mugs that say “man tears”.

inquisitor

Don Juan
Reaction score
They have no personality and self-principles, so it is easier for them to just speak in cliches. Whatever sounds hip and cool. Indicative of a thoughtless bio, a lame implication that she is "interesting".

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agreed. And I don’t think Americans banter as much as Brits do.
I suppose banter can always lead to “I was in fear for my life and he took a step towards me delivering banter. I drew my weapon and neutralised the threat with my force multiplyer”
;-)

mrskinnypantz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, Next.
I don’t got time for all that sassy slick shxt , she can go play those “I am woman hear me roar” games with somebody less experienced. When she gets around a certain dude all that disrespectful **** go out the window,truss.

B80

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
we have tons of stupid people too. I’ve actually found your average American has a better vocabulary than your average Brit.
Other than that the main difference is religion, Americans are deeply religious compared to us, who are almost universally atheist. Saying you’re religious is something to be ashamed of here and people will tend to think you’re dim.
Other difference is Americans are WAY nicer and more friendly and supportive. We are tons more cynical. We don’t like to see others succeed but Americans are full of “GO YOU!!!”
Ironic also that the US seems much more violent and confrontational, yet people are friendlier. It’s almost like under the surface there’s violence but a very smiley surface.
Yes, I'm a 'Brit' and noticed over the years the average American (I work for US company so encounter a fair few) seem to have a much better grasp of the language on average and seem pretty confident, switched on in general, compared to British peers. Men seem more masculine too,compared to us, but that may be more to do with company/industry in in. Funny as many Brits hold parrot stereotypes about Americans being dumb, insular etc, but that hasn;t been my real world experience, in the main. British people more likely to save face, reserved, skirt around issues, where Americans more direct about things.

Theres also a steroytype that Americans encourage success, winners, whereas the UK are the opposite and like to tear people down rather than praise them.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, I'm a 'Brit' and noticed over the years the average American (I work for US company so encounter a fair few) seem to have a much better grasp of the language on average and seem pretty confident, switched on in general, compared to British peers. Men seem more masculine too,compared to us, but that may be more to do with company/industry in in. Funny as many Brits hold parrot stereotypes about Americans being dumb, insular etc, but that hasn;t been my real world experience, in the main. British people more likely to save face, reserved, skirt around issues, where Americans more direct about things.

Theres also a steroytype that Americans encourage success, winners, whereas the UK are the opposite and like to tear people down rather than praise them.
definately true in some ways with masculinity. In terms of kind of defence etc, most American men seem to have basic defence skills and gun skills and have protecting their family as a real and relevant skill. English guys, it’s just not a thing really. On the other side, British men aren’t as preoccupied with appearance (white teeth, superficiality etc), o think we are a bit more low key generally.

agree that generally command of English is better (although spelling could be improved). The other thing which is notable is the wide array of health related things - like having a shrink, and church and self help groups. This is very rare in the U.K. and kind of to be embarrassed about.

one thing I love about Americans is by and large they are right of centre and so many of us are whiny left wing “please government solve my problems” types

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Americans, by and large, are not violent. The vast majority of violent crime is committed by ethnic gangs. Go to any middle class American neighbourhood and you will feel safer than if you were walking the streets of London.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Americans, by and large, are not violent. The vast majority of violent crime is committed by ethnic gangs. Go to any middle class American neighbourhood and you will feel safer than walking the streets of London.
it’s the owning a gun thing.

another example: go on any YouTube video where there is a conflict and you will see TONS of US commenters saying things like:

“as soon as his hands went to his pockets I would have drawn my weapon/ran etc”

“Never turn your back on a stranger. Always face them”

“that dude was sticking his jaw out in range”

“As soon as that guy took a step forward I would have reached for my gun”

or the immortal: “best advert for concealed carry I’ve seen” (this is usually a video where a fight would have turned into multiple murders had someone drAwn a gun”

there is a kind of semi military self defence dynamic which seems to be very prevalent in the states. These kind of comments just wouldn’t be made by British people, general self defence is completely unnecessary.

perhaps the reason it gives this impression is because the violent guys are commenting and the normal folks aren’t on these videos

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't buy into the anti-gun propaganda. I've travelled extensively in parts of the US where gun ownership is widespread and not once have I felt like someone was going to shoot me for no reason.
Im not in any way saying that people go around shooting people.

im saying that self defence, operation of firearms and resolving armed conflicts appears to be a hobby for a lot of Americans.

If you had lived in a country with no ownership, you’d understand how odd this is. Firearms are a military item here, not a domestic one or a recreational activity. Hence it appears from afar to be a bit weird to have basic military training for a lot of what are essentially civilians