Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gen Z and Sarcasm

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im not in any way saying that people go around shooting people.

im saying that self defence, operation of firearms and resolving armed conflicts appears to be a hobby for a lot of Americans.

If you had lived in a country with no ownership, you’d understand how odd this is. Firearms are a military item here, not a domestic one or a recreational activity. Hence it appears from afar to be a bit weird to have basic military training for a lot of what are essentially civilians
The UK used to be a lot like the U.S. when it comes to gun ownership. 100 years go, it was not uncommon for a gentleman in London to carry a revolver. Those rights were slowly taken away from you (along with many other rights, such as freedom of speech), so I can see why the relative freedom that still exists in part of the U.S. may seem "weird". But in reality, it's the UK and the EU that have become weird.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The UK used to be a lot like the U.S. when it comes to gun ownership. 100 years go, it was not uncommon for a gentleman in London to carry a revolver. Those rights were slowly taken away from you (along with many other rights, such as freedom of speech), so I can see why the relative freedom that still exists in part of the U.S. may seem "weird". But in reality, it's the UK and the EU that have become weird.
how many first world democracies allow private firearm use for self defence?

bat soup

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it’s the owning a gun thing.

another example: go on any YouTube video where there is a conflict and you will see TONS of US commenters saying things like:

“as soon as his hands went to his pockets I would have drawn my weapon/ran etc”

“Never turn your back on a stranger. Always face them”

“that dude was sticking his jaw out in range”

“As soon as that guy took a step forward I would have reached for my gun”

or the immortal: “best advert for concealed carry I’ve seen” (this is usually a video where a fight would have turned into multiple murders had someone drAwn a gun”

there is a kind of semi military self defence dynamic which seems to be very prevalent in the states. These kind of comments just wouldn’t be made by British people, general self defence is completely unnecessary.

perhaps the reason it gives this impression is because the violent guys are commenting and the normal folks aren’t on these videos
There are places in the US that are scary as hell and places that feel very safe. Same in the UK. Sometimes people from the US assume Europe is safer because there are less guns, but that's where the knives come in.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
None. America is the only place that does, and it's probably why we are also the least cucked by our government [though that is slowly changing]. Having guns is the one line drawn in the sand between citizen and government.

bat soup

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My dad had a gun and I used to shoot at school (we had a shooting club with rifles). I think it's still possible to use guns for recreation if you want, but it's not a common hobby. In the past that you talk about it maybe "gentlemen" (i.e. rich men) did have guns, but I doubt the average person could afford one. So I don't think there was ever a situation where the average guy in the street was likely to be carrying a gun. That was never the case. And I think the tradition in the US comes from the country's history of camping out in the wilderness and conquering new territory full of bears, indians and bandits. A gun was necessary to survive in those situations.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My dad had a gun and I used to shoot at school (we had a shooting club with rifles). I think it's still possible to use guns for recreation if you want, but it's not a common hobby. In the past that you talk about it maybe "gentlemen" (i.e. rich men) did have guns, but I doubt the average person could afford one. So I don't think there was ever a situation where the average guy in the street was likely to be carrying a gun. That was never the case. And I think the tradition in the US comes from the country's history of camping out in the wilderness and conquering new territory full of bears, indians and bandits. A gun was necessary to survive in those situations.
It was more than that. We also had our guns to use against the government whenever it was trying to take over towns and cities [yes, even the US government can be invaders and terrorists].

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Several countries that you wouldn't necessarily associate with gun ownership or violence do (i.e. Switzerland, Czech Republic, Monaco, Lithuania, among others). Are you trying to suggest that gun ownership is somehow incompatible with democracy? How so?

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Several countries that you wouldn't necessarily associate with gun ownership or violence do (i.e. Switzerland, Czech Republic, Monaco, Lithuania, among others). Are you trying to suggest that gun ownership is somehow incompatible with democracy? How so?
I don't think this is his angle, but to me, guns are one of the greatest weapons against it, only because it gives people a real voice. "Democracy" these days means whatever the mob of the government want.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I find that difficult to believe considering that Britain was a highly militarized society up until the early 20th century. You do realize that the Second Amendment to the U.S. constitution is actually based on the English Bill fo Rights, which guaranteed the right to own weapons to all protestants?

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are places in the US that are scary as hell and places that feel very safe. Same in the UK. Sometimes people from the US assume Europe is safer because there are less guns, but that's where the knives come in.
that’s not true in terms of murder and violent crime.

The homicide rate Per capita in the states is 6 times higher than the U.K.

Violent crime is higher.
The only crimes which are higher in the U.K. are petty thefts and sexual assault.

I’m actually undecided on the merits of gun ownership, but the statistics are crystal clear.

the reality is, as you say, most neighbourhoods in the US are very safe, as is the case here

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
None. America is the only place that does, and it's probably why we are also the least cucked by our government [though that is slowly changing]. Having guns is the one line drawn in the sand between citizen and government.
I was surprised that at what seemed a fairly dubious election result with lots of late ballots, and a record number of votes for a pretty unpopular guy, that the vanguard of armed citizenry didn’t protect it.

in terms of the government, the US FBI and police seem extremely heavy handed and brutal compared to the U.K., I could be wrong. The prison incarceration rates are sky high too. however; we have speech laws and I envy the right to free speech.
I actually love America and the ideas it was founded on.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I find that difficult to believe considering that Britain was a highly militarized society up until the early 20th century. You do realize that the Second Amendment to the U.S. constitution is actually based on the English Bill fo Rights, which guaranteed the right to own weapons to all protestants?
I think that may be a misunderstanding of British history. There are many.

the main one being that the war of independence was to escape monarchal rule, which I know is taught in schools, yet omits the fact that the English civil war was fought centuries before to remove the right of the monarchy and that monarchy had power in ceremonial terms only since the late 17th century and the war of independence was fought against a constitutional democracy, not a monarchy.

That has blown the mind of several of my US friends :)

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think that may be a misunderstanding of British history. There are many.

the main one being that the war of independence was to escape monarchal rule, which I know is taught in schools, yet omits the fact that the English civil war was fought centuries before to remove the right of the monarchy and that monarchy had power in ceremonial terms only since the late 17th century and the war of independence was fought against a constitutional democracy, not a monarchy.
At the risk of hijacking this thread even further, what you're saying is not entirely correct. The monarchy in the late 18th century was constitutionally limited but still a lot less ceremonial than it is today. Kings and queens still appointed and dismissed prime ministers at will and had major influence on foreign and domestic policies. But the War of Independence was mostly about taxes.

Last edited:

GioWolf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it me or are they full of $h!tty sarcasm?
from my observation, sarcasm in women is an ongoing sh1t/fitness test. They use it as rapid defense, it’s pretty easy to break through if your quick/witty back or used amused mastery. It’s very exhausting after a while though and it’s downright annoying with less attractive girls.

The problem with today’s world is sarcasm is almost impossible to read through electronic format, so when meeting women in person it’s fine, but it makes for terrible text game.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was surprised that at what seemed a fairly dubious election result with lots of late ballots, and a record number of votes for a pretty unpopular guy, that the vanguard of armed citizenry didn’t protect it.

in terms of the government, the US FBI and police seem extremely heavy handed and brutal compared to the U.K., I could be wrong. The prison incarceration rates are sky high too. however; we have speech laws and I envy the right to free speech.
I actually love America and the ideas it was founded on.
The armed citizenry is being controlled by republicans who want the status quo. That's why there was little push back against Jan 6th, and the party has been docile since. Now they talking about suing through the court to get things done, despite the fact nothing ever gets done going through the government that just cucked you. I don't like Democrats, but the republicans are just as ***** whipped.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It’s very exhausting after a while though and it’s downright annoying with less attractive girls.
What pisses me off is that the uglier girls are using it with inflated egos. That's really what rubs me the wrong way. They have no business trying to act like that when they are at the bottom of the chart as far as attractiveness go. They are the last ones that should be **** testing.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At the risk of hijacking this thread even further, what you're saying is not entirely correct. The monarchy in the late 18th century was constitutionally limited but still a lot less ceremonial than it is today. King
At the risk of hijacking this thread even further, what you're saying is not entirely correct. The monarchy in the late 18th century was constitutionally limited but still a lot less ceremonial than it is today. King and queens still appointed and dismissed prime ministers at will and had major influence on foreign and domestic policies. But the War of Independence was mostly about taxes.
That’s true but Parliament has been sovereign since Cromwell.

the point I was addressing is the fallacy that the war of independence was about resisting tyranny of the monarchy of England, and establishing a constitutional republic. This has largely been done already in England.

it was essentially a colony deciding they wanted to be independent. Kind of like Texas deciding it is no longer part of the United States and becoming a self governing country.
I don’t think there was much more principle to it, as you say, it was about money.

I’m hoping one day the US comes to its senses and applies to rejoin the commonwealth. Funnily enough this idea doesn’t seem that popular.

Zimbabwe

Banned
Reaction score
Don't buy into the anti-gun propaganda. I've travelled extensively in parts of the US where gun ownership is widespread and not once have I felt like someone was going to shoot me for no reason.
Crime is more related to poor economic prospects, people with nothing to lose often resort to a life of crime. If you ban guns it would just lead to knife and truck attacks like in Europe.

Politicians and the media couldn't care less about addressing the root cause of the crimes and instead use guns as a very convenient scapegoat for positive PR.

Switzerland has a very high gun ownership, but when have they ever had a school shooting?

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Certainly noticed that having to manage millennials. Generally a nightmare because they're more femanized and teams don't have proper rolls and responsibilities that actually allows you to deliver anything. Everything is smoke n mirrors and a popularity contest in till some big boss comes and then suddenly you are the manager again and it's all your fault.

On a highly paid contract as an individual contributor at the moment because i got sick of the bs and it's a big project where I m learning a lot. Go back to project managing next year when i ve upgraded my social politics skills a bit

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not saying that bud.

what I meant was first world democracies as they are equivalent to the United States.
a lot of folks own guns in the Middle East and South America but they aren’t meaningful comparisons.

the point I was addressing was “who is weird?” :)

The point was made was that Europe banned guns and this means we are the ones being weird. Whereas the point I was making is the US is the outlier here. The US is kind of the experiment, the rest of the world prohibited guns, rightly or wrongly