Three seconds. That's how long it took. Your shoes. Your posture. The way you held your drink. Whether you looked at the floor or looked at her.
She already filed you away. Interesting. Boring. Safe. Bold. Before you even opened your mouth.
Everything you say after that is just her confirming what she already decided.
So stop rehearsing lines. Fix the first three seconds. Stand tall. Look up. Smile like you mean it. Walk like you belong wherever you're standing.
The words come later. The impression comes first.
You asked her if she wanted to grab coffee. Then you asked if the time worked. Then you asked if the place was okay. Then you asked if she'd prefer tea.
Four questions. Four chances for her to say no. Four signals that you're terrified of making a decision.
Plan it. Pick the place. Pick the time. Tell her where to meet you. She'll either show up or she won't.
Either way, you look like a man instead of a scared little boy.
Thanks, glad I could help. And yeah, the possibilities are endless. The whole barnes and noble date idea of mine actually came about, last year, when I took a girl for coffee and then went to the bookstore to buy a book and remembered reading A Light in the Attic when I was kid. Went to look for it and just started reading out loud. The date went so well that now I use it pretty often, though I've added some things and refined the "process" a bit, haha.Originally posted by Francisco d'Anconia
D@mn, that's pretty good. The whole B&N thing I could work with. It'll be an easy way to tell if the girl is a prude or not. It's silly but it does actually works. Once a girl had me slow dancing with her in the aisles of the electronics section with all the boom boxes tuned to the same smooth jazz station. I had no idea what she was doing but it was some mad, silly fun![]()
I like the park/ice cream/pet store thing too. Again it has a bunch of chances for kino and it's inexpensive. Definitely memorable since it wasn't just dinner and a movie.
A very important point was to end up back at your place (especially if it's for dinner). Think about it, you start off in the grocery store with her pushing the cart following you around while you pretend to pick things to cook for dinner (of course you planned the menu in advance but she doesn't need to know that). She'll be dying to know what you're cooking for dinner but of course you don't tell her.![]()
You end up back at your place and you tell her that she's going to help you cook dinner. You instruct her in what to do, cut up stuff and measure things (not that thing!). There's another perfect place for a bunch of kino!
The ideas are just flowing!!! D@mn good idea Soma!!!
I love your counterargument. It's rock-solid, because there's no way to argue against it. I should learn from you, so when I disagree with someone, I'll just call him a 'dork' and not provide any reasons why. It's so effective, and so much easier than saying "you're wrong, and this is why..."Originally posted by TooColdUlrick
you're a dork. the reasons why you are wrong are just way too many to bother with.
Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.
You've been "getting ready" for two years.
She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.
Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.
You just reminded me of the book I'll use "Where the Wild Things Are." I loved that book as a kid and it will be a really good one to act out on the stage. Kids will love it and who knows, maybe some cute single moms will be so enamored that they will slip me their phone numbers!Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Thanks, glad I could help. And yeah, the possibilities are endless. The whole barnes and noble date idea of mine actually came about, last year, when I took a girl for coffee and then went to the bookstore to buy a book and remembered reading A Light in the Attic when I was kid. Went to look for it and just started reading out loud. The date went so well that now I use it pretty often, though I've added some things and refined the "process" a bit, haha.