fear of stds

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Giovanni Casanova said:
There are multiple types of herpes, and the herpes you get on the mouth and on the genitals are two of those types. Type 1 is generally on the mouth, type 2 is generally on the genitals. However, either can be spread in either location. In other words, if a girl has a cold sore on her lips, it's probably best if she doesn't go down on you.
I second that. 100% correct.

theNEWDJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Giovanni Casanova
There are multiple types of herpes, and the herpes you get on the mouth and on the genitals are two of those types. Type 1 is generally on the mouth, type 2 is generally on the genitals. However, either can be spread in either location. In other words, if a girl has a cold sore on her lips, it's probably best if she doesn't go down on you.

I was wondering if seeing if the girl has an open sore on her lip is a sure fire way to know that she has herpes or not? Dont some cases of herpes go without any symptoms at all?

theNEWDJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
Also thanks alot for all these posts, Im 20 and I have only had sex with one girl in a long term relationship. Ive had the oppritunity to have sex with several other girls but I declined in fear that I would catch something. I would pretty much foreplay right until the point where we could have sex - actually a few girls asked me too, but I declined. Most of these girls were one nighters so Im kind of glad I didnt have sex with all of them. This topic eased my worrys a little about STD's, but I guess my main fear is of AIDS

aliasguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
theNEWDJ said:
Originally Posted by Giovanni Casanova

I was wondering if seeing if the girl has an open sore on her lip is a sure fire way to know that she has herpes or not? Dont some cases of herpes go without any symptoms at all?

--
-
If she has a herpes sore on her mouth, she has herpes on her mouth.

She may or may not have herpes down below.

There it is.

And, yes, some cases are asymptomatic (no sores). And these asymptomatic cases CAN spread the virus.

Bummer, huh?

-
-
-

theNEWDJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
A summary..
1. Always use condoms
2. Stay away from frats, party girls/drunken girls.
3. Look for intelligent, value oriented or professional girls.
4. ask about their sexual past before you do anything. If their answers seem shady and they are more than willing to have sex with you, then you might want to stay away.
5. if sex is what you want without the fear of stds lingering, then stay away from hook ups and instead try to stay in relationships.

anything else??

- This post by Joe put it in real good - safe perspective.

drak_ool

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
theNEWDJ said:
A summary..
1. Always use condoms
2. Stay away from frats, party girls/drunken girls.
3. Look for intelligent, value oriented or professional girls.
4. ask about their sexual past before you do anything. If their answers seem shady and they are more than willing to have sex with you, then you might want to stay away.
5. if sex is what you want without the fear of stds lingering, then stay away from hook ups and instead try to stay in relationships.

anything else??

- This post by Joe put it in real good - safe perspective.
NEWDJ, i broke all 5 of those rules and i m still alive. The downside is that i ve been at a high risk of catching hiv with my recent girl...

1. is golden, wish i could stick to it, the other 4 are questionable. Ya, avoid sorority girls/frat *****s but as for party/drunk girls it s gonna be harder, especially if you sarge bars.

As for girls telling you about their sexual past, now that is really funny... Will you actually believe her? You think a hor who got gang banged the night before will answer in a shady way? No! she ll say "3... and they were all serious relationships" and she ll act real innocent. Are you gonna eat it up?

One more thing... if you play the game right you re SUPPOSED to make girls be "more than willing to have sex with you"

oh ya, 5. is also hilarious! there s a woman here that goes by the name penkitten or something like that. Ask her about that

Rhizzle

Don Juan
Reaction score
So, I got a call last night, from my ex. We were together 3 years, Never actually had full intercourse, but everything else, direct contact, no protection, etc.

She says she has had these "hair bumps" for a couple years. She made her yearly visits for full checks. Doctor told her they were nothing. She says, recently she went back and insisted the investgiate further, and its apparently some very mild version of HPV. Doesn't seem to cause any long term effects. No its not the cervically damaging one. She said she never knew, and her doc told her it was nothing when she'd asked before.

Apparently, this version may or may not cause a few bumps every now and then, and they can "treat" it with some cream, but it can't be "cured" cause its virus, just as chickenpox never goes away.

To my knowledge, I've never seen any sign of anything in my "area". I have a strong immune system and almost NEVER get sick. I think i was sick one day in the last 5 years that i can remember. So, just as any virus you may not get, I may not have it.

But, apparently. they can't even test for it, unless their is a breakup. Supposedly, the first breakout happens in 2 days to 6 weeks. We broke up in Feb, messed around in June, but havn't seen her since. I've not seen any indications.

Not sure what I should do. Even if i have it, it apparently has no longterm effects, and is only transmissible if theres an outbreak, and I may just lie dormant for the rest of my life.

Thoughts? valuable ones, no smartasses.
Would really suck if i have something after I've spent my whole life being super careful, had one LTR (3yrs) and never messed with anyone else, and am technically still holding the "V" card.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rhizzle, I bet your ex has molluscum contagiosum and not HPV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molluscum_contagiosum

I've got it. It's no big deal. I think a lot of people get it and never notice; a lot of people never get it. Despite the name, it is not super-contagious. You get little painless whitehead zits. It's a completely benign condition that goes away on its own.

Thoughts?

fuhgettaboudit and go live your life. Don't tell any girls. You will learn quickly that saying 'I think I might have an std' is about the un-sexiest thing that can be said to a woman. Anyone who has had sex *might* have an std, so it just goes with the territory.

Rhizzle

Don Juan
Reaction score
Noone is going to see this thread on AE, and its a very good topic.

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Men do not usually suffer symptoms from HPV. They are just carriers. They cannot get cervical cancer, but they can get genital warts. There are many different strains of HPV. If you had the strain for warts... you'd know it. Most likely you have the strain for the kind of HPV nearly everyone has... the kind that you will never know you had, and it goes away on its own.

Here is a fact they didn't tell you in sex ed: Pap smears for women are primarily to see if your HPV turned into cancer.

My best friend is a social worker, and when I "uncovered" this fact nancy grace style she was with me, and was shocked to discover that she had been spreading false information to her case load. She and many other women always thought pap smears were just womanly check ups, and that all women should have them once they reached menstrual age. NOPE! You only need them once you become sexually active... and of course for boob check ups (mammograms).

This is because if you had sex... you have or had HPV. 80% of sexual active people have it, and that is just what is reported IF they were able to find symptoms.

Symptoms would be 1. warts 2. cell changes, aka cervical cancer

The USA has recently last year launched a HUGE campaign to spread awareness about this virus. I was opening magazines, and seeing info on it, and every other commercial was a famous actress talking about it.

The bad thing: you probaly have it.

The good thing: it goes away on its own (or you get cancer and maybe die). Once it goes away, you are immune (but only to that strain).

Another good thing (for you men): you spread it, but you won't die from it. Your girlfriend might, though. :)