Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Expat relationship dies slowly, blaming self yet can't find the cause.

Safari

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you in advance for any advice you may offer. I'm in a dark place and am really in need of some straightening out.

We met while we were both performers in China. We had immediate mutual high interest, and we found ourselves in a relationship fairly quickly, despite other opportunities I had available. After a few months, her contract ended and I was to remain behind indefinitely, but she went to great lengths to find another full-time job, only an hour away from me with easy public transit, so that we could still be together. I was blown away that she actually followed through with this, and I continued to turn down other decent opportunities because I saw potential here.

After another six months of bliss, I was unexpectedly not renewed at my job, but she gave me her full support, and I moved in with her. During this time however, two members of my family had serious issues requiring my physical support, and I returned to the states to help. She and I were separated for up to three months at a time, but we held it together without a hitch. I chose to remain unemployed during this time, turning down performance contract offers, as I had to be two places at once in the states for my ailing family members. By this point, the allure of performance had also started to wear off, and I was looking for something more stable.

Once my family issues were clear, I returned to China to be with her and resumed the job search. After only a couple failed attempts, my old job where I had performed last asked me to return, but this time in my boss's former position, as he had left the company recently. This is a perpetual, managerial position, offering great stability, which I of course accepted, and we were both incredibly happy that our future was set.

After three months on the job, which brings us to this past January, I felt solid enough to seriously propose the idea of marriage. She surprisingly stammered on it though, and I said no rush, let's sort it out by September or so and decide. By then we're at three years, which I felt was long enough, and we'd already proved we could get through tough times together. But this marked the beginning of where things turned downward, although I underestimated how much at the time. She decided suddenly she didn't want to live and have kids in China, living too far from her family back in England. Keep in mind I have a great job with a high standard of living, decent salary, further upward potential, lots of perks, and a safe environment. The time we spent together here was always fun EXCEPT when discussing the future from her doubtful perspective. Lots of expats have kids here, including many of her friends. I assured her we could fly her back home every few months for as long as she wanted, but none of this helped. She felt I didn't make enough to support a family, but that was laughably untrue. She did mention off the cuff that if I made an amount that was 2.5 times higher, it'd be a different story.

In searching for reasons for her pulling back, the best I could extract is that she really was still stuck in her highlife mentality, and I wasn't going to provide that. She also insisted on living in England, which I was up for doing, but at the right time and for the right job opportunity, so I advised that we would at least start our marriage in China, and then make the move smartly. But for me to make a sacrifice of that size, we'd have to be married first, which would also make securing a job in England far more possible. But she refused to compromise, stating "why should I settle for second best." In hindsight, I should have left at this remark, because in letting it slide in the hopes her outlook would improve, I only later lost her respect further. A subsequent remark was "what you have to offer is not good enough." She felt we would "struggle" back home, that I couldn't "make it" there, though I defended that while we may have to get on our feet initially, I have an employable degree, management experience, and we'd be fine.

Throw in that I had met her family during the unemployed period, and was the first guy to ever do so. They privately disapproved of the relationship however, as they didn't want her settling too far away either, and despite having savings to get me through the down period and taking care of family, they weren't blown away by my jobless status at the time. I never felt the eventual management job ever fully changed that impression unfortunately, as I never seemed to win their approval. Nevertheless, they still told her to give China a try, meaning to leave her job, stay with me a few months, try it out, and if it didn't work, leave back to England. But she wouldn't agree to this, even though she had nothing to lose ultimately.

I began my denial phase by this point, believing that love would win out over these material concerns, and I decided to remain confidently persistent to the cause.

By June, things had reached a breaking point, and she revealed that what was once her every-few-month cocaine habit had developed into a once-or-twice-a-week habit, happening right under my nose (forgive the expression). I told her she had to quit cold turkey, as I was firm that the mother of my kid couldn't be an addict. She blamed the drug uptick on the pressure of knowing September and the "marriage decision" was approaching. I never really made it a hard deadline other than that I preferred to buy the ring at home during this time while on leave, but I felt it unfair that her use was blamed at all on me. At this time there was a brief scare over work permits being renewed by the government, which I expressed some nervousness over, a possible mistake, but I still stated we'd figure it out and be fine whatever happened. I'm not sure she was convinced however.

We continued on, but signs of her decreasing respect for me were becoming more present. It's worth noting at this point that all of her previous exes were wealthy, though none ever exceeded five months together. We are up to three years by this point, her first real long relationship. Where at first I was the amazing guy she said she never thought she'd meet, I ended up where she believed I'd never be able to afford a house in England, or that I'd be too cheap to buy one. I've always budgeted as necessary, saving on the small stuff, but to spend on the big stuff, and I did splurge on several occasions, including three long-distance vacations for us. She has saved well here, but carries a large student loan debt that she ignores and always refused discussion on.

In August, she finally broke it off while high on the phone, confessing that the cocaine had continued nonstop the past two months since she promised to stop. Wanting to hit the reset button as fast as possible, I hopped a flight to Thailand for a few days and caught up with some old friends. Upon return, I restarted workouts with a renewed vigor, even starting an accountability thread to my Facebook with a monetary payoff if I didn't lift on scheduled days. I maintained NC through blocking IMs the entire time, and was getting better.

Safari

Don Juan
Reaction score
A week to the day after the breakup, she shows up unannounced at my door, ostensibly to swap our things. Expecting she would be tossed out, she then came at me with a hug, and we ended up in bed together for some incredible makeup sex. However, it was during this lost week that she gave notice at her great job in China and head back to England permanently at the end of this year.

Nevertheless, we decided to be "lovers" rather than restart the relationship, though in effect there was little difference. There was a renewed honeymoon phase for two months, though we both kept our renewal secret. I didn't mind this arrangement, since I was hedging my bets too, and there was no interference from her family, leaving my options more open in case this reboot didn't work out. However, my desire to rekindle love resurfaced, and she even started talking ring styles again. But when talking further on this thread, she freaked out again. She has been utterly confused all along, everyone agreeing she doesn't know what she wants.

I headed home for a planned leave for three weeks, and she was in a panic that I was going to buy the ring. I said let's just forget about it for now, which bought some temporary relief, and we continued on. Our last conversation was upbeat, about how we were going to jump on each other during the reunion on my arrival back in China.

THE NEXT DAY after this fun, she reveals once again that during my absence, her cocaine use "flew off the rails". After a 15 hour sleep comedown, she said also that she'd revealed our hidden relationship to her closest sister, a flagrant materialist who like the parents had always viewed me as a threat mainly in the sense of taking her away from home permanently. Bear in mind I've always treated her will in a way any unbiased parent would normally appreciate. However, my girl mentioned how the overall situation has kept eating away at her all along, and she split us again without further discussion. I feel as though if I not gone home for three weeks, I would have avoided this cruel sudden outcome. I would have preferred distance killed it in the end than this.

Thanks to this extreme up and down emotional whiplash, ten days of my misery ensued despite very aggressive workouts, and I realized I had failed to see ahead of time how much my identity had tied itself to this girl. My thoughts turned extremely dark, as I realized that at almost 40, I may be facing a no-family life situation, having wasted so much time on this relationship and touring as a performer in my 20s and 30s, though I had a blast doing so at the time. I've moved on from that life though on my own terms, as it lost its appeal, moving to my current position that still leverages my experience, and I really am happy to settle here. The "here" matters less really, as long as it's a good situation for developing myself. Right now that's where I am.

I managed 10 days of NC after this second breakup, but she finally texted at 6am on the night of my return, no doubt while partying hard, and the next evening I replied. We discussed how to swap things again, but when she agreed to come here again, as I will be too busy to go there, in making definite plans she started making weak excuses. I found myself pushing, and she eventually dropped offline. This time though, none of the things she has of mine this time are really things I need back. I admit I am hoping for a repeat of the last reboot, but my gut felt more certainty in her voice this time on the breakup.

In seeking outside support, consensus is that she still loves me to a small degree, but not enough to overcome her material side or to stay overseas with me anymore. They are expecting she's going to want to keep me as backup indefinitely, even after she leaves, and that my best course of action is a full stop of communication and removal from social media. They bet she's going to continue baiting me along for whatever reason. My guys' advice is that she'll be down for a bang every so often, on her terms, but that it's probably not going to help my mental state. She has stated that she's terrified of approaching 40 herself, as she's 31, possibly passing on a chance with me with something that was genuine and not finding the perfect situation she still seems to be looking for.

I haven't been on the forum in years, as I thought I had finally reached a settling down phase, but I have had a very rude awakening by this outcome. I live among a small expat community here, so I'm very worried about how many of her girlfriends she's made her gossip and complaints to that could cleanly wipe me off the dating map. Really there were no major mistakes, no cheating, but in the end she went from very high interest to very low. She's beautiful, sexy, and multi-talented, and everyone agrees she'll be successful at whatever she does when she returns home. They don't say that of me, however, despite being picked from hundreds of performers that have passed through this venue for this job, and I observed that I never had the respect of her colleagues or most of her friends either, presumably just for not being wealthy. There is a very superficial culture where I am.

Despite some of her very obvious personality flaws, I'm having a hard time not assigning blame to myself, as I find myself believing she will fully straighten out for the "nice guy who's also rich", which she has openly stated she plans to find on her return to England. It's shaped up that I was just the "China boyfriend", but I don't know why she waited so long to duck out from this. Why I became less attractive AFTER I hit my stride security-wise is where I'm stuck. I would have taken this position anyway, so understand that it was not done just to be with her, but it seemed a nice fate that everything did just fit together.

I'm really hoping for your guys' advice and a course correction. She leaves in less than two months, and I recognize there's nothing likely salvageable here. It's highly unlikely we'll accidentally run into each other, unless she shows up unplanned again. On the second breakup, she stated a desire to be friends, which I immediately shot down, as I don't think it'll work, and it's not what I want, as my emotions are still strong. I'd love to be able to just let it go and be casual, but I know myself, and I'm not there. My mindset has admittedly turned beta in regards to this whole situation, and I just need a plan of action to stop myself from this constant hopelessness that I've run out of time in life and am always going to have an outcome similar to this one. I've been happy with the quality of my life, aside from not having a family, but I feel that enjoying this quality of life having essential security without focusing on being rich is going to inevitably cost me the best women who will always eventually trade up for the first semi-safe rich guy who comes along.

dustmuffin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Forget it and move on. Women act on emotion not logic. It isn't your fault. When a woman makes up her mind than it's hard to change it back. Delete all contact and move on. It's what's best for you. It's as simple as that, but hard to do. You will never understand why and it dosent mater.

Harry Wilmington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
...GOOD LORD, MAN, SNAP YOURSELF OUT OF IT ALREADY!

(Takes internet hand and slaps you in the face)

There, how does that feel? Starting to slap some sense in you a bit?

Oh yeah - you don't know me, but I have a website dedicated to helping guys such as yourself. Check out my free podcasts at the link in my signature. (And no, I don't give a crap if people call me out for promoting my FREE materials, this guy needs some serious reality checks right now!)

Look, I don't know if what I or anyone else here says to you will change whatever course of action you plan on doing, or how you feel about yourself and your situation. But here are 3 things I hope can help you:

1. RELATIONSHIP ARE EASY - IF YOU'RE WITH THE RIGHT PERSON.

Aside from all the "getting to know the person" fights and mini-arguments you have (or even blow out ones where you make up later), a relationship with a girl that genuinely likes you is very, VERY easy. They don't flake on you, they give you sex regularly, they always tell you how great you are, and they never - EVER - talk to you about wanting to find someone else or how you're not good enough. The first time she said anything like that to you should have been a sign to leave - if they're comfortable doing that in the beginning, it only gets worse the longer the relationship is.

2. DON'T FALL INTO THE "SUPERHERO" TRAP.

And by that, I don't mean trying to save her. What I mean is, I have this theory that everyone is the super-hero in their own life story: they never do anything wrong, everyone likes them, and if something goes wrong they should be able to fix it.

Right now, you're hoping that this girl is going to change her mind about being with you because you're a good person, right? And she should want to be with a guy like you, right? And if she'd just stop taking drugs, or listening to her family, or started realizing you actually DO make enough money to support a family with her... if ALL those things went away, you could make it work with her, right?

And that's true... but it's not your reality.

The reality is all the crap you JUST typed about her that has been happening for YEARS now. Do you REALLY want to be with someone that's probably going to keep on doing these things, and repeating the same cycle over and over again? Is this how you're supposed to get to your happy?

Understand, guy: our egos are designed to protect us; unfortunately, that also means it's designed to place us in denial mode when we see things not going our way. Stop looking at how things COULD be and see how they ACTUALLY are, and set your ego aside when dealing with this situation.

Which leads me to...

3. DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF.

Yes, I know you probably want to put a stack of blame on yourself for this whole situation. But in reality, guy? Some b-tches just end up being crazy.

So, don't blame yourself for her parents influencing her to be the way she is; and don't blame yourself for her cocaine habit that she picked up before she met you. You had good intentions going in, and you did the best you could. If she chooses not to accept that, it's in her right - let her be someone else's problem, then. But don't kick yourself too much, guy - even if you're in your 40s, I know plenty of men AND women who tied the night damn near close to 50 years old. It's never too late to do a re-set on your life, maaaaaaan!

Anyway... that's all I got. Click the link in the signature if u want more - best of luck to ya!

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very simply...she was in love with the idea of being with you forever, but not actually being with you forever. When the time came, she realized the fantasy of her idea didn't match reality and she bolted.