Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

do you think BRUCE LEE could fight in real life?

cfajason

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dust 2 Dust...Bruce lee was a skilled groundfighter too....Gene Lebell trained him in that aspect of fighting!!!

Reaction score
All this sounds good, but remember. Hes dead. Maybe Mike Tyson could kick his ass. Maybe he couldnt. We'll never know.

But we do know one thing. He was a bad ass motha****er when he was alive. So he scripted the fights in his movies. So what? Would you make yourself to be a loser in your own movie? Hell NO!

PeoplesChamp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow I see a lot of people who THINK they know about actual fighting talking a lot bullsh!t.

Ever Seen the movie "Unleashed" with Jet Li. There is this scene in there where he is entered into an underground fighting competition and he is forced to fight a champion who undefeated and has been champion for something like a year. Anyway they are both set loose in this box-like ring. The first thing the champion does to intimidate Li is take a brick and break it into rubble on his head (obvious hollywood exaggeration!). Li walks up to the guy, punches him three times in the adam's apple pushing it back into his spinal cord, blood comes out the champion mouth and falls over dead.

So what's the relevance? That is how a REAL fight with someone train in Gung Fu or JKD goes. Gung Fu not Ultimate Fighting, Mia Thai, Wrestling, Grappling, or Karate or any other bull**** fighting style. It is specfically meant for street fighting/ killing someone with your bare hands a quickly and efficently as possible. It's not talking about so and so AFC who fights on tv could break your arm in 8 seconds. In those 8 seconds Lee would have already killed the guy.

Now generally speaking Training being equal the larger person will ALWAYS win in a fight. So with many opponents one mistake from Lee and yes he would be toast. But that's just precisely it. NO ONE out trained Bruce Lee. He obviously has OCD tendencies with just how fanatical he was with his training. That why he got so good eventually his style became formless. But he started out being trained by some famous Gung Fu master in Hong Kong.

Against any Boxer, grappler, or Ultimate Fighter my money would be on Lee every time.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think bruce lee is pretty much incomparable... He was really good in his fighting style, but that wasnt it. He was soooo fast, he was completly lean and his muscles were compact but as dense as it gets. So he had both power and lighting fast speed. He also knew take downs and submissions. I have one of his books where he shows all that... So for the guy that said that Royce gracie would tap him out in a second youre stupid. Although BJJ has just emerged a couple of years ago, it has been around for many years.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PeoplesChamp
NO ONE out trained Bruce Lee. He obviously has OCD tendencies with just how fanatical he was with his training.
At the time he died, doctors estimated Bruce Lee's bodyfat percentage to be LESS THAN 1%.

Incredible.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PeoplesChamp

Ever Seen the movie "Unleashed" with Jet Li. There is this scene in there where he is entered into an underground fighting competition and he is forced to fight a champion who undefeated and has been champion for something like a year. Anyway they are both set loose in this box-like ring. The first thing the champion does to intimidate Li is take a brick and break it into rubble on his head (obvious hollywood exaggeration!). Li walks up to the guy, punches him three times in the adam's apple pushing it back into his spinal cord, blood comes out the champion mouth and falls over dead.

So what's the relevance? That is how a REAL fight with someone train in Gung Fu or JKD goes. Gung Fu not Ultimate Fighting, Mia Thai, Wrestling, Grappling, or Karate or any other bull**** fighting style. It is specfically meant for street fighting/ killing someone with your bare hands a quickly and efficently as possible. It's not talking about so and so AFC who fights on tv could break your arm in 8 seconds. In those 8 seconds Lee would have already killed the guy.

As for Bruce Lee, he stopped training in Kung fu because he went to America, he was training with Yip Man and Wong Shun Leung in Hong Kong, 2 fighters who's level he never came close to. In his only real fight (against a martial arts "master" Wong Jack Man) Bruce gave up because he was too tired, he tried to kill Sifu Wong and gouge out his eyes, and Wong basically kept him at bay with long kicks till Bruce quit. There are various accounts of the fight, all the neutral accounts I have read give that description, the one from Bruce's wife (who wasnt there) say that Bruce won, but I believe she is just repeating what he claimed. Bruce later declined a rematch with Sifu Wong.

I don't care what happened in some movie. Movies aren't real guys. If Jeet Kune Do and Gung Fu is so dominant as you claim then why is it that no one who practices it has ever had any success with it competing in a ring? If Muay Thai and BJJ don't work then these Gung FU guys should have no problem stepping in and beating them.

Stick to **** that is proven. There is a reason there are no champs in MMA that base their training around Kung Fu or Jeet Kune Do. Like TKD, it is not an effective style. Defend it all you want, you're just pissed because you are studying at a McDojo.

Traditional gung Fu and Jeet kune Do is not as good as Muay Thai. I don't care what anyone says. Argue forever about that, go ahead. If traditional gung Fu or Jeet Kune Do was as good or better MMA fighters would be cross training in that and not MT. Look at nearly all the world class strikers and they all come from Muay Thai, Kyokushin, San Da, or Boxing. Not traditional Kung Fu. The secrets are out now and everyone knows what Kung Fu and Jeet Kun Do is and the fact is there are no secrets. The basics are what are improtant and that's what MT focuses on. The only complete system that can be link to Kung Fu arts, that is actually good, is San Da (Shou). But for that art to be created they mixed techniques from a large number of arts. In modern times now they blend Muay Thai and Western Wrestling with it. San Da is a mixed martial art.

I'll remain a skeptic until I see it. If I wanted to kill someone I'd stick with Jiu Jitsu.

Last edited:

bbestar

Banned
Reaction score
Ive seen photos with brurce lee bulked up...like a weight lifter

He is much larger than those ufc/pride fighters...

And he is friken quick, my gawd

Plus bruce lee is a man of studying the best technique

If he was alive today, he'd be light year ahead of ufc/pride fighters

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man this is getting sad.

OK, how about this simple question: Could ANY of you beat up Bruce Lee?

Don't criticise those far above you.

PeoplesChamp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay Dust to Dust I'm not going to be that hard on here and you know start a "flame war." But did you even bother to read a word I posted. I'm not talking about your MMA UFC Muai Thai rule based fighting. The reason certain people win in those fights is because:

1). They are staged and choreographed for entertainment purposes.

2). There are RULES...you know like no detaching someone retina, for instance, or no hitting someone's nose cartilege up into their frontal lobe. :rolleyes:

SO when I say my money would be on Lee I am talking about a street fight WITHOUT RULES.

The reason they don't crosstrain in JKD or Gung Fu is because they are completely dissimilar arts. MMA is a sport. Gung Fu is about street fighting/self-defense. Therefore, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Maui Thai teaches you how to kick, punch, block ect. Gung Fu, while teaching those things as well, emphasizes how to put someone in the hospital in three moves, hopefully for the intention of saving your life.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bruce Lee could definately fight. But I think his legend is bigger than himself, from what I am aware he didnt win any great championships and was more an actor and star character (both because of his fighting style and charisma, charm, confidence, character), than he was simply a fighting machine.

HateOnMe

Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha Don't all legends exeed the men behind them? Were still just human. But the question I have is does Bruce Lee have any records of being in any martial arts competition?

PoloBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by HateOnMe
Haha Don't all legends exeed the men behind them? Were still just human. But the question I have is does Bruce Lee have any records of being in any martial arts competition?
I heard he was discoved by a movie producer while competing in martial arts competition in Long Beach, Ca.

thats how they found him to make the "Green Hornet" show :cool:

sifer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dust 2 Dust
The whole purpose of the UFC, Pride, etc., was to find out which style worked best. Now it has evolved to where you obviously have to be skilled in several areas. Bruce Lee would not be competitive by today's standard for that exact reason. That's why you don't see any Kung Fu, Karate, or Jeet Kun Do fighters in MMA.
I had not read the whole thread except up to this point so excuse me.

I would disagree in one perspective, that many fighter uses Kung Fu or Karate or Jeet Kune Do.

I can be proven right if you go to Sherdog.com and ask this question in the "Ask The Fighters" forum.

Ask them, what were their first art they ever learned?

Many of them earned a black belt in Tae Kwon Do or Karate.

Bas Rutten has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and he himself has actually said, pulling from his mouth, "it taught me balance and flexibility", Jason Delucia himself swear by Kung Fu, with 33 wins and 19 loss with the fact that Kung Fu gets bad rep easily. Mirko Filipovic himself I believe took up Karate and got a black belt in it and let's not forget many Japanese fighter has taken up Shotokan Karate which has gotten good rep because of its efficiency.

As for Bruce Lee, you (Dust 2 Dust) and I would definitely agree Bruce Lee is no weakling. That's for sure.

sifer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
San Da is a mixed martial art.
You said Kung Fu is useless, yet San Da itself comes directly from Shaolin Kung Fu and mixes various aspect of it. Kung Fu, true Kung Fu (directly from China and its ancient aspect) has MANY grappling moves.

sifer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
"Laaadies and gentlemen, in one corner, he's 300lb., 6'1, he has quit his royal life to create a great religion... his name is... BUDDHA!

In the other corner we have... a 100lb., 5'11, he claims to be the Son of God! He himself claims many miracles... his name is.... JESUS!"

Who would win? Jesus VS Buddha?

:D
Just curious Dust 2 Dust, what do you practice?

I've been taught by a friend who practice Muay Thai until he passed, until then I practiced it for 5 years straight and still do.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PeoplesChamp, I do not believe in any fighting style which advocates "instant death touches" or any similar techniques. Bruce Lee was never able to prove any of these techniques worked and the one real fight he was ever in he got his azz kicked by Sifu Wong. Bruce came at him with one of his "eye gouge death techniques" and Sifu Wong pummeled him with leg kicks.

Yes, I believe Fung Fu is useless which is why Bruce Lee abandoned traditional Kung Fu. He himself knew it didn't work.

As far as "Kung Fu Master" Jason Deluca is concerned. Royce Gracie Broke his arm in their first fight and then defeated him again in a rematch. From what I've seen of Delucas fights he doesn't resemble Kung FU anymore and I would consider his style more Pancrase.

Sifer, many people originally began studying in arts such as TKD and karate. i myself got a blackbelt in TKD when i was 9 years old and I will tell you from experience 80% of the techniques being taught in TKD and Karate schools are useless. That's why Bas and other fighters branched out from these fighting stlyes to become complete.

sifer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sifer, many people originally began studying in arts such as TKD and karate. i myself got a blackbelt in TKD when i was 9 years old and I will tell you from experience 80% of the techniques being taught in TKD and Karate schools are useless. That's why Bas and other fighters branched out from these fighting stlyes to become complete.
Well said, but I personally don't mind learning the art regardless of how bad it is, they're quite nice in stretching you and making you more a rounded fighter.

tipsy_619

Don Juan
Reaction score
PeoplesChamp, I do not believe in any fighting style which advocates "instant death touches" or any similar techniques. Bruce Lee was never able to prove any of these techniques worked and the one real fight he was ever in he got his azz kicked by Sifu Wong. Bruce came at him with one of his "eye gouge death techniques" and Sifu Wong pummeled him with leg kicks.

Yes, I believe Fung Fu is useless which is why Bruce Lee abandoned traditional Kung Fu. He himself knew it didn't work.

JKD doesnt involve instant death touches...
Its based on principles from fencing, boxing and wing chun but is none of them...

JKD is very contrasting to Muay Thai in many ways... In general Muay Thai is comfortable at the distance that allows for a mutual exchange of blows in a "war of attrition"...

The purpose of JKD is to hit & get out of ur opponents range so he can't hit u back...

Most fighters these days dont practise that

DJ_in_making

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by manuva
At the time he died, doctors estimated Bruce Lee's bodyfat percentage to be LESS THAN 1%.

Incredible.
um, isn't that really unhealthy?