Computer science/programming

GeeMale

Don Juan
Reaction score
Idk if this is relevant to any of you all, but I just finished my first project this morning(the basic part of it at least) and the lesson I learned is "don't try to reinvent the wheel." I read and based my code off previous working code so that I knew how to structure and implement it. Made it so much easier to implement instead of just coding from scratch. Can't believe I haven't been doing this before.
Where you getting your material from, udemy? That's where I first started for Web Development

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Where you getting your material from, udemy? That's where I first started for Web Development
For this project I used Udemy and TutsPlus. Also the free Unity tutorials at UnityLearn. I took the basis of their code(as a reference, not copying) and put my own spin on things to make it work. YouTube as well for when I couldn't get the syntax to work.

Although I'm still a student so the more experienced programmers on here may have a different opinion.

sosousage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For this project I used Udemy and TutsPlus. Also the free Unity tutorials at UnityLearn. I took the basis of their code(as a reference, not copying) and put my own spin on things to make it work. YouTube as well for when I couldn't get the syntax to work.

Although I'm still a student so the more experienced programmers on here may have a different opinion.
so youre making games?

i also use unity, i also used other game engines using unreal, i love making games

that all is more my hobby than occupation though

but there are some many unity jobs so its not bad investment either

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
so youre making games?

i also use unity, i also used other game engines using unreal, i love making games

that all is more my hobby than occupation though

but there are some many unity jobs so its not bad investment either
Yup that's what I'm doing at my internship man. It's really really fun.

Being a Game Programmer would be dope and it pays well but I hear it's extremely stressful work.

I've never used Unreal but I've always heard good things about it. Do you prefer Unreal or Unity?

sosousage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yup that's what I'm doing at my internship man. It's really really fun.

Being a Game Programmer would be dope and it pays well but I hear it's extremely stressful work.

I've never used Unreal but I've always heard good things about it. Do you prefer Unreal or Unity?
i preferred unreal, sticked with unity cause its more popular and therefore better investment.

However now i prefer Unity. unreal may be "better"engine technically, it has native MMO/MMORPG/rooms/matchmaking/dedicated server features, it has many developed tools built in, it has blueprints, it develops games that have faster performance. and epic games is good as hell at making games (and marketing) and they banked so crazy on Fortnite that they donated 1.2 million to blender with no any strings attached.

unity develops games with worse performance, has no multiplayer (outdated unet) and their company isnt even making games, let alone world-wide popular first class games like Epic's Fortnite.

But I prefer coding games in Unity. The process is faster for me.

sazc

Banned
Reaction score
What would you say is a suitable benchmark for guaging your aptitude for programming?
yes, and while I understand your pain, there are theories and concepts that the university engineer is going to be taught that a self-taught developer will probably not go over because it's not required.

it's all the information, the sum total of information you get that shapes your approach as an engineer.

at the last company that I work for, you could not be promoted to any kind of management if you didn't at least hold a masters. Some of these companies simply do not joke around

Papa_smu

Don Juan
Reaction score
To the OP, I know you have a lot of questions are pretty anxious about your future career. But what it really comes down to is time in the chair. Because, like all professions, it's just work. Some people get lucky and enjoy their work.

cruzinV

Don Juan
Reaction score
People need to stop thinking that software engineering is a blue collar job that you can pick up after a few online classes or some "certificate". SW engineering requires a high aptitude for complex problem solving, quick learning, dedication, YEARS of practice etc. You have to be smart, not plumber or electrician smart, but smart on another level. The truth is, the VAST majority of people to who try to become SW engineers are going to fail because they dont have the BRAINS. Period.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you do and what does your day entail?
Front end dev, I use react, redux, graph ql and immutable js.. so basically all javascript.

Day entails standup, three amigos session with the other teams like ba’s, qa’s and ux, then back to coding, usually in pairs. It’s an agile environment so quite relaxed and enjoyable place to work.