Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Building up some mass.

Enzz

Reaction score
So I'm 5'4 and now weigh about 50kg. Bit concerned, want to start building up to a more healthy weight. Would particularly like to build my upper body a little, I've gotten real thin there. Any ideas?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How does my good mate Manuva put it .. ah yes, I believe the correct abbreviation is DOAFS.

All the info is on this forum; don't expect to be spoonfed, just search.

Manuva, bet you a sixpack of Foster's that diablo locks this thread within the hour.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hehe you owe me some beer!

But yes it should be locked.

DAFS!

Enzz

Reaction score
Sorry. Permit me to be more specific.

I'd rather avoid bulking up by gaining *fat* (but will if necessary). Will cardio prevent me making gains or will my fairly low muscle mass mean I make gains more readily, at least initially? Will I even need cardio? Or will I gain fat whether I do cardio or not? If I do start some cardio, as someone who is already very thin will it be especially important to train in a HIIT style? Will my size limit the kinds of physical routines I can perform in some way?

Advice appreciated, especially if anyone has experience.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's no need to gain any fat while gaining muscle.

However, I can't answer your questions since they're entirely dependent on you. If I told you I do four morning cardio sessions a week at 30 minutes a time after taking 400mg green tea extract and take a good brisk walk every evening plus that I cut out all starchy carbs a few hours before bed, avoid milk but eat cottage cheese and don't use Daz washing powder because it gives me a rash, would you do the same? You could but there's hardly any chance it'd be exactly what you need.

This sport is all about finding about YOURSELF. What works for you and what doesn't, what foods/food combinations you can eat to optimally gain while controlling or even lowering bodyfat - it takes time, trial and error. I put on fat and lost muscle to find out what worked for me and I'm still learning even after several years of training.

Cardio will NOT inhibit your mass gains, that's one of the most stupidest bodybuilding fallacies ever (and there's a few for sure!) - however I don't mean that a 3-hour run every day by cardio, I mean basic sessions of low-intensity and HIIT to control bodyfat and promote cardiovascular health; some people have issues with running and losing leg mass, others don't - I can't do HIIT regularly and train legs at peak efficiency, maybe you can, I don't know.

You'll have to find that out here - I suggest 3-4 a.m. cardio sessions of 20-30 minutes on an empty stomach (on your offdays); that's enough to be getting on with, take things from there. Maybe you'll be able to get away with two sessions or maybe your lifestyle'll keep you lean, I don't know - you'll just have to see.

Your size shouldn't inhibit your routines in any way, start off with compound exercises, low weights and good form, progress steadily and there's no reason why you won't gain muscle. Being short is an advantage here - most olympic weightlifters aren't very tall. (I'm talking about the lifting, not aesthetic merits)

But really, for now all you have concentrate on is learning the basic exercises - squats, deadlifts, presses and rows plus dips and chinups and EATING. Eat your arse off (quality food though) and see how you go. Don't think, just do - after a month check your weight/waist etc and see where you are. From then on, make adjustments. Good luck mate!

Fitch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warboss Alex
There's no need to gain any fat while gaining muscle.

However, I can't answer your questions since they're entirely dependent on you. If I told you I do four morning cardio sessions a week at 30 minutes a time after taking 400mg green tea extract and take a good brisk walk every evening plus that I cut out all starchy carbs a few hours before bed, avoid milk but eat cottage cheese and don't use Daz washing powder because it gives me a rash, would you do the same? You could but there's hardly any chance it'd be exactly what you need.

This sport is all about finding about YOURSELF. What works for you and what doesn't, what foods/food combinations you can eat to optimally gain while controlling or even lowering bodyfat - it takes time, trial and error. I put on fat and lost muscle to find out what worked for me and I'm still learning even after several years of training.

Cardio will NOT inhibit your mass gains, that's one of the most stupidest bodybuilding fallacies ever (and there's a few for sure!) - however I don't mean that a 3-hour run every day by cardio, I mean basic sessions of low-intensity and HIIT to control bodyfat and promote cardiovascular health; some people have issues with running and losing leg mass, others don't - I can't do HIIT regularly and train legs at peak efficiency, maybe you can, I don't know.

You'll have to find that out here - I suggest 3-4 a.m. cardio sessions of 20-30 minutes on an empty stomach (on your offdays); that's enough to be getting on with, take things from there. Maybe you'll be able to get away with two sessions or maybe your lifestyle'll keep you lean, I don't know - you'll just have to see.

Your size shouldn't inhibit your routines in any way, start off with compound exercises, low weights and good form, progress steadily and there's no reason why you won't gain muscle. Being short is an advantage here - most olympic weightlifters aren't very tall. (I'm talking about the lifting, not aesthetic merits)

But really, for now all you have concentrate on is learning the basic exercises - squats, deadlifts, presses and rows plus dips and chinups and EATING. Eat your arse off (quality food though) and see how you go. Don't think, just do - after a month check your weight/waist etc and see where you are. From then on, make adjustments. Good luck mate!
How does one find themselves -- the best routine for oneself?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Short of performing heinous rituals in worship of the Chaos Gods, these involving the blood of virgin wildebeast and last Tuesday's regurgitated broccoli there's only one option, and that's trial and error.

Start with a basic split, 2- or 3- day, compound exercises, with cardio on your offdays, a fair carb cutoff and basic supplementation - monitor results and adjust accordingly. Take measurements every 3-4 weeks, if your weight is going up and your waist isn't, then don't change a thing ..

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
**** using a split for a begginer.

Full body work-outs, three times a week. Do this for 6 weeks, keeping the following true for every excersize you do.

- Use compound movements involving either your body, or a barbell. Perform 5 compound movements, and if you want to, you could get away with using a dumbell set for the last excersize [dumbell bench press, bicep curls, tricep extension with dumbells et al]

- Do three sets of 8 reps

- Ensure your form for every rep is perfect, and you know your limits. Lifting weight you cant lift properly without cheating is selling yourself short, big style.

For example, a monday could look like this:

Bent Rows
Skull Crushers
Military Press
Pull-ups
Split Squat
Dumbell Bench Press.

Of course, the above wont work unless you're eating everything you can see that isnt filled with sugar and E-numbers.

Go through the cupboards and find all the good sources of protein. Eat protein with every meal you have.

Seriously, eat everything you see - including your mother, if she has a bit of meat on her.

All the best,

Ben

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
**** using a split for a begginer.
Fitch is not a beginner. His question asked about how to find out what's best for someone - and you can only do that by getting on some sort of basic split and changing stuff around until you're making the progress you want.

(Not being a b!tch here, but Fitch has been training 'officially' since August..)

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"So I'm 5'4 and now weigh about 50kg."

He's a begginer. The basis on being a begginer was that he is light, and he probably isnt shifting much weight, so his potential CNS capablities are much higher than a lean 190lbs guy that can deadlift close on 200KG for two reps.

Therefore "overtraining" would only happen if he isnt eating enough.

All the best,

Ben

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, we'll disagree there. But that's our right. :)

(Not getting into any arguments on New Year's Eve, lol)