Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any one play the piano?

Jay Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I play guitar.

practice practice practice practice

JJ

cyp6

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Here's the drill. Playing the piano is all about building connections within your brain.

Let's say I play a measure 10 times, the correct way. But on the 11th time, I mess up a note. No big deal. But then I hit it again on the 13th time. Each time that I hit this wrong note, the connection in my brain that has been built up telling me how to play this measure correctly is weakened, and the wrong note connection is strengthened. How to conquer this? Slow down and do it right. Fight the urge to play faster than your ability allows with no mistakes. I've been playing the piano for over 13 years, and still have problems with this. But trust me, it'll serve you well to slow down and do it right.

90% of problems you encounter with playing the piano can be solved with "Slow practice". The way I take on a new piece is get a feel for it. Run through it with your right hand at a moderate pace, and get an idea of what challenges you may face. Do it with the left hand alone a few times, too. After you feel fairly comfortable playing the piece with each hand alone, start to very slowly put them together. If you find one hand lagging behind the other in a certain section, run through that part with that particular hand again and again and again and again until you OWN that particular section. Then try it again hands together.

Hope that helps you out. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Yes that was very help full. im Learning to play using You tube. right now im learning so sick by neo.(my first song ever)... is this a good idea... i have to do alot of trial an error typ thing... i dont know how to read music, ( i have to wait till summer for the class to start) should i try to figure out sheet music on my own till class starts or keep doing the you tube thing?

MacDiddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm really struggling to see how this post is DJ related...

hang on...

... me think you think that playing the piano is gonna bring in the chicky babes... just like all those christian chicks who dream of getting with those musician on the pullpit.

oh my brain hurts....

Chrispy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There is no short-cut like videos and so forth to speed up learning. Practice, repeat, practice, repeat. Habit becomes form. Most importantly, enjoy learning and you will undoubtly get it.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deus ex Pianoforte said:
Here's the drill. Playing the piano is all about building connections within your brain.

Let's say I play a measure 10 times, the correct way. But on the 11th time, I mess up a note. No big deal. But then I hit it again on the 13th time. Each time that I hit this wrong note, the connection in my brain that has been built up telling me how to play this measure correctly is weakened, and the wrong note connection is strengthened. How to conquer this? Slow down and do it right. Fight the urge to play faster than your ability allows with no mistakes. I've been playing the piano for over 13 years, and still have problems with this. But trust me, it'll serve you well to slow down and do it right.

90% of problems you encounter with playing the piano can be solved with "Slow practice". The way I take on a new piece is get a feel for it. Run through it with your right hand at a moderate pace, and get an idea of what challenges you may face. Do it with the left hand alone a few times, too. After you feel fairly comfortable playing the piece with each hand alone, start to very slowly put them together. If you find one hand lagging behind the other in a certain section, run through that part with that particular hand again and again and again and again until you OWN that particular section. Then try it again hands together.

Hope that helps you out. Let me know if you have any other questions.
In short, practice to build muscle memory in order to be less reliant on actually thinking about what each hand needs to do.

Fenderules

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im starting to learn piano. I'v played guitar for a long long time and can play anything on it, no matter how crazy or how fast. It is just a matter or practice .......over and over

slow and clean is better than fast and sloppy.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you really should learn to read music. It's not that complicated, but it takes practice. Get some songs that are all in the key of C major or A minor, and practice reading them. (if you haven't read music before, reading the two hands separately is probably the best way to start)

Falcon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hey I've been playing the piano ever since I was in 1st grade. It's hard to remember what I was doing when I just first started out. All I can say is listen to the people who are telling you to slow down and learn the basics. You are going to pick up a lot of bad habits if you don't have a good foundation of the fundamentals.

Bad_Lil'Pixie

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
cyp6 - Are you learning through basic cord technique or through music theory?

I can't say either method is better then the other, both have many benefits and I know excellent pianist that have been taught using the various styles.

Maybe look into the opposite method and see if you can overcome the hurdle via different learning tools and steps.

bob2007

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've taught a couple relatives at a young age. You need to know the notes first, then when you read, read quickly.

When you read quickly, you give yourself time to prepare for the next note. So once you remember the next note, try to read the next, etc.

Obviously, it takes practice, but by reading quicker, doing both hands won't take as long.

Doing the songs separately, left hand , then right hand, is the traditional way of doing it. But I never really do that anymore, unless the song is extremely hard.