Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Advice on medication

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since I graduated high school in 99 I have suffered from occasional panic attacks. Started at my high school graduation.. it was moved inside due to severe storms. I was jammed in the middle of the isle. It was insanely hot... my mind went haywire felt like I was having a heart attack, felt like I was going to throw up... went thru the cycle like 4 times until I felt exhausted.

Since then the only time I have these attacks is when I am stuck somewhere. I get them on planes, I get them if I’m in the middle isle of church or events.

I have to attend an awards ceremony for work. I am being honored for something I did and also getting promoted. This event is in an auditorium with a few hundred people in attendance. I will be on stage with other people and “stuck”. I am already obsessing over this event and thinking how horrific it would be to have this attack while sitting on stage. I also have to give a speech. I am planning on going to see a doctor and hoping there is something that can help. I would literally only need it for this event. I can’t be drowsy or out of it.... does anyone have any suggestions ?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since I graduated high school in 99 I have suffered from occasional panic attacks. Started at my high school graduation.. it was moved inside due to severe storms. I was jammed in the middle of the isle. It was insanely hot... my mind went haywire felt like I was having a heart attack, felt like I was going to throw up... went thru the cycle like 4 times until I felt exhausted.

Since then the only time I have these attacks is when I am stuck somewhere. I get them on planes, I get them if I’m in the middle isle of church or events.

I have to attend an awards ceremony for work. I am being honored for something I did and also getting promoted. This event is in an auditorium with a few hundred people in attendance. I will be on stage with other people and “stuck”. I am already obsessing over this event and thinking how horrific it would be to have this attack while sitting on stage. I also have to give a speech. I am planning on going to see a doctor and hoping there is something that can help. I would literally only need it for this event. I can’t be drowsy or out of it.... does anyone have any suggestions ?
Your doctor will probably suggest Xanax. It would work, but it is easy to become addicted.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your doctor will probably suggest Xanax. It would work, but it is easy to become addicted.
Whatever it is.. I literally would only take it for this event. I was reading about beta blockers as well... seems like they eliminate the physical symptoms while keeping you functioning normally.

characternote

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Propranolol/beta blockers help some people. As you say, it's mainly to eliminate the physical symptoms as opposed to the mental side, although actually not having certain physical symptoms actually has a knock on effect of minimising the mental effect in the moment.

And then, yes, there's benzos (xanax etc). Not good to take all the time, but certainly not gonna be a problem to take from time to time.

Pregablin like xanax is another option for something on a more 'as needed' basis as opposed to a medication one would take evryday for anxiety such as SSRI's

I'd go with a xanax

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deal with the cause of the problem instead of the symptoms. The panic attack is a symptom of another problem.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deal with the cause of the problem instead of the symptoms. The panic attack is a symptom of another problem.
I get that... and will.. but I doubt I will resolve the cause in 3 months and think having a crippling panic attack in front of several hundred people and looking like a train wreck would probably ultimately make it worse

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I get that... and will.. but I doubt I will resolve the cause in 3 months and think having a crippling panic attack in front of several hundred people and looking like a train wreck would probably ultimately make it worse
Whatever you choose, do a trial run before your big day, just to see how it affects you.

Young OG

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Xanax would be best if you’re taking it only as needed. But, if you are having issues like this often then you might want to think about going on Lexapro. Lexapro takes at least a month to kick in and you will need to take it everyday. See your doctor and figure out what is right for you.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Xanax would be best if you’re taking it only as needed. But, if you are having issues like this often then you might want to think about going on Lexapro. Lexapro takes at least a month to kick in and you will need to take it everyday. See your doctor and figure out what is right for you.
Just an anecdote, but Lexapro made my ex wife gain almost 100 pounds.

characternote

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
how does that happen out of interest?
Ive also heard of people losing weight on ssri's, although like your ex, it seems more commonly it's weight gain.

Is it something to do with an effect on metabolism? or is it due to the drug changing your habits? (For example ,some people say being happy for the first time in a long time gave them their appetite back. Did you ex eat a lot more?)

Young OG

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m on it for anxiety. I’ve gained a little weight but it’s not an issue since I was always a hard gainer at the gym. Most people tell me I look healthier now. I’m guessing your ex didn’t work out or exercise at all

Cerwin Vega

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anxiolytics such as benzos (Xanax) may be a good temporary solution for these situations.

A beta-blocker may be useful for alleviating physical signs of a panic attack, but it's more like they take the edge off rather than make you feel calm. Also, @Mike32ct they're not good as first-line therapy for hypertension. ACE inhibitors or thiazides are much better depending on your race.

Be careful with benzos.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For anyone that’s taken benzos what do they feel like? I am trying to avoid getting drowsy and potentially drooling on myself while on stage lol

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I'd start focusing on meditation and deep breathing/calming methods. With a little practice you should be able to control it via those methods.