Backyard fight sport event. I got scared.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I went to my first backyard fight league recently. I wont mention the name but it is a well known one. It was awesome, wholesome and horrifying at the same time.

It was the middle of no where with a bunch of "degenerates" like me. Some people looked like drug heads. Everyone was so nice though. It was super chill and all love even after the fight.

I was afraid though. I could not pull the trigger and fight. I am so disspointed in myself.

I can spar in the gym but a fight league is different. I had no idea who I was going up against. Some of the boxers were amazing but most were just regular skill levels. Many of the guys were just average joes. Some dont even train at all.

Why was I afraid! I have done BJJ tournaments before but striking and MMA is even more scary. The ride home was so dissapointig. I let fear win again.

In 2 two months I will go back. This time I will fight even if I get KOed right away.
I need yall to keep me accountable. Thanks
Sorry for the rant. I jusr hate when I let fear win.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't talk about the fight club.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Streetbeefs? That yt channel is highly addictive. Sounds like what you are describing

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Also consider that you said some folks looked like dope users. Do you think it would be a fair fight is the dude is jacked up on meth? F-dat.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Streetbeefs? That yt channel is highly addictive. Sounds like what you are describing
I can neither confirm or deny these allegations. They were good people regardless and yes the fights are highly addictive. In person its even better. Good vibes...

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They're criminal morons if they are running an unsanctioned fight. The rule of law is that you can't waive a tort, so any papers you sign promising not to sue are worthless. When the state sanctions a fight, punching someone is not battery. In an unsanctioned fight it is; you can go to jail, especially if you hurt someone. It doesn't matter if the fight was voluntarily entered into.

The worst injury I ever saw was from a kid reaching back to try to catch himself as he fell while getting taken down. One of the lower bones in his arm popped out of the elbow joint and went WAY up toward his shoulder. He had to have immediate emergency surgery, and recovered, but it was because he got the care he needed. It was a sanctioned fight, so we had a medical doctor and an ambulance waiting for him outside, as was required by my state's rules. Unsanctioned fight people are morons. They don't have doctors, or the required training and experience to deal with serious injuries.

And BTW I actually have watched a lot of backyard mma youtube videos. I'm yet to see anyone with much skill at all. Beating up these idiots isn't much of an accomplishment. If you want to fight, find the best gym you can and go train with the best fighters.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They're criminal morons if they are running an unsanctioned fight. The rule of law is that you can't waive a tort, so any papers you sign promising not to sue are worthless. When the state sanctions a fight, punching someone is not battery. In an unsanctioned fight it is; you can go to jail, especially if you hurt someone. It doesn't matter if the fight was voluntarily entered into.

The worst injury I ever saw was from a kid reaching back to try to catch himself as he fell while getting taken down. One of the lower bones in his arm popped out of the elbow joint and went WAY up toward his shoulder. He had to have immediate emergency surgery, and recovered, but it was because he got the care he needed. It was a sanctioned fight, so we had a medical doctor and an ambulance waiting for him outside, as was required by my state's rules. Unsanctioned fight people are morons. They don't have doctors, or the required training and experience to deal with serious injuries.

And BTW I actually have watched a lot of backyard mma youtube videos. I'm yet to see anyone with much skill at all. Beating up these idiots isn't much of an accomplishment. If you want to fight, find the best gym you can and go train with the best fighters.
Yeh Bible Belt i was hoping you chimed in on this given your MMA background. So my BJJ coach and owner of the school agrees with you. He was infuriated when one of the members of the school took a fight in the backyard league. He called the leagues all types of names.

Luckily no one waa seriously hurt when I saw the fights. The MMA fights were not all that great but the boxers were definately good. They had some guys that looked like high level amatuers.

Hey at what age did you have your first MMA fight? Was it was 35? Thanks

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeh Bible Belt i was hoping you chimed in on this given your MMA background. So my BJJ coach and owner of the school agrees with you. He was infuriated when one of the members of the school took a fight in the backyard league. He called the leagues all types of names.

Luckily no one waa seriously hurt when I saw the fights. The MMA fights were not all that great but the boxers were definately good. They had some guys that looked like high level amatuers.

Hey at what age did you have your first MMA fight? Was it was 35? Thanks
It sounds like you have a good coach. Martial arts in history always included honor, largely not using the art in a dishonorable way.

Yeah about that age. When you do agree to fight, the event matchmaker is very important. Your coach should be setting it up, because he knows the promoter isn't going to get you killed. There is a lot more to matchmaking that just two guys who weigh about the same. And there are a lot of sleazy promoters who feed their best fighters the biggest chumps to make one guy look good. There is a local promoter near me who I think is just too stupid to realize he's being exploited as a source of fighters who are easy to beat. He has taken a lot of guys to be on a ufc undercard, but every one of them got creamed.

RazorRambo24

Banned
Reaction score
Those circuits are great for guys who didn't really train and focus their resources into getting into pro fighting and going the route that leads to bigger leagues/organizations. Also great for guys who are past their prime who just want to test their own skills.

I have thought about going on those kinda things but I'm fine knowing Iv'e handled myself well in a fair share of street fights/brawls in my time lol. Nothing that cool about it anymore. I think that no matter how tough and skilled you think you are, there's always someone out there who can humble you.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
No idea why you think you "need" to do this, but typically people involved in this have nothing to lose.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I went to my first backyard fight league recently. I wont mention the name but it is a well known one. It was awesome, wholesome and horrifying at the same time.

It was the middle of no where with a bunch of "degenerates" like me. Some people looked like drug heads. Everyone was so nice though. It was super chill and all love even after the fight.

I was afraid though. I could not pull the trigger and fight. I am so disspointed in myself.

I can spar in the gym but a fight league is different. I had no idea who I was going up against. Some of the boxers were amazing but most were just regular skill levels. Many of the guys were just average joes. Some dont even train at all.

Why was I afraid! I have done BJJ tournaments before but striking and MMA is even more scary. The ride home was so dissapointig. I let fear win again.

In 2 two months I will go back. This time I will fight even if I get KOed right away.
Don't be a yard 'tard.

Reaction score
I participated in one a long time ago. It was a round robin with two others involved. That was enough for me. I had to hide a lot of big bruises in the summer by wearing longsleeves and pants, not to mention the incredible soreness I experienced afterward. I quickly moved on to legitimate BJJ and boxing gyms. Go with the pros, not that backyard BS.

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've done professional kickboxing so let me chime in.

The forst fight is like every first time. I'd imagine that a first time bungie jump would scare the shyte outta me, to a point where I might even bytch oit last moment.

Imo such a fight isn't any scarier than a sanctioned fight. A fight =a fight. And no,sparring is NOT the same as a real fight. A fight is war.

Dont worry about being intimidated. Just keep going. Lets look at some scenarios;
- you get knocked out. Its painless and quick. I've been knocked out in sparring once. Not nice but hey...its part of the game!

- you get bullied/oppenent is better.
Now you know what you should work on..you can ALWAYS throw the towel. You make it seem like its bloodsport and you might die or something. Nah bro.

-you have a scrap, and you win or lose by a small margin.(most likely the scenario). If I'm correct you'll get matched up with a opp with similar experience.

Getting cold feet is normal. Thats why I personally hated the build up, but once they say; in the blue (pill) corner GAMISCH!!!" Its do or die,no way back amd LETS GO.

You do this to conquer something. Dont.let it conquer you. And if it does, also fine. You trained hard and sometimes that's enough. You won't be the next McGregor anyway...

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've done professional kickboxing so let me chime in.

The forst fight is like every first time. I'd imagine that a first time bungie jump would scare the shyte outta me, to a point where I might even bytch oit last moment.

Imo such a fight isn't any scarier than a sanctioned fight. A fight =a fight. And no,sparring is NOT the same as a real fight. A fight is war.

Dont worry about being intimidated. Just keep going. Lets look at some scenarios;
- you get knocked out. Its painless and quick. I've been knocked out in sparring once. Not nice but hey...its part of the game!

- you get bullied/oppenent is better.
Now you know what you should work on..you can ALWAYS throw the towel. You make it seem like its bloodsport and you might die or something. Nah bro.

-you have a scrap, and you win or lose by a small margin.(most likely the scenario). If I'm correct you'll get matched up with a opp with similar experience.

Getting cold feet is normal. Thats why I personally hated the build up, but once they say; in the blue (pill) corner GAMISCH!!!" Its do or die,no way back amd LETS GO.

You do this to conquer something. Dont.let it conquer you. And if it does, also fine. You trained hard and sometimes that's enough. You won't be the next McGregor anyway...
This is great! Thanks man

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I were you I wouldn't let anyone record your fight nowadays with everything going viral you want to be careful and how your perceived

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score

There cannot be courage without fear.