Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Walking - one of the most underrated tools for weight loss

M

member160292

First weighted vest walk of the year...3.5 miles but it slowed my pace by almost 3 mins/mile. Gotta work my way back up to under 30 seconds/mile difference then will start with the weighted vest hill climbs.
Just did a weighted vest trail today and it felt great. Great date idea with a plate

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Just did a weighted vest trail today and it felt great. Great date idea with a plate
There is no way I would do this with a plate or on a date with someone. I end up soaked in sweat to the point I have to change shirts and sit on a towel or blanket on the way back so I don't soak sweat into the seat...

Plus my socks are soaked to the point it squishes when I walk...

Would not be conducive to anything good

M

member160292

There is no way I would do this with a plate or on a date with someone. I end up soaked in sweat to the point I have to change shirts and sit on a towel or blanket on the way back so I don't soak sweat into the seat...

Plus my socks are soaked to the point it squishes when I walk...

Would not be conducive to anything good
I did it, it was fun. Though it was only 2 miles and 40lbs

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
Walking after meals improves my digestion but I heard that most fat is burnt off while we are asleep.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Walking after meals improves my digestion but I heard that most fat is burnt off while we are asleep.
Only half true. You don't seem to understand the process well enough. Walking will do much more in terms of burning fat than most people think.

Low intensity exercise(like walking)burns fat as its energy source, not carbs, via the oxidative pathway.

Regardless of when it is excreted by the body, the body first must break down fat into fatty acid that circulate in the blood stream. This happens via various methods including exercise, fasting, taking in less calories than needed, etc. When it gets excreted doesn't really matter, it can't be excreted until it is first broken down into fatty acids via lipolysis.

However as a diabetic the more interesting aspect of walking should be the ability to regulate blood glucose levels.

Last edited:

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dang, you guys took down my Baatan Death March photo. That's a top proven method.

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
I would go further and suggest walking with an occasional light jog for 30 seconds, and then resume walking, and every 5-10 minutes stop to do light stretching. When adding in a stretching element the walk becomes more of a real purposefully healthy exercise with relaxed intentions; whereas if you are stressed out and walking fast while rushing across town because you are running late for the next business meeting it will not provide the same benefits as a leisurely and safe walk in a park.

Walking outdoors is preferable with trees and nature around, and no headphones and no sunglasses. I live in a big city and it is dense urban with buildings everywhere, there are a lot of annoying and inconsiderate people and dangers to navigate around: so the city itself is probably a big cause of cortisol for me.

Stress activates the cortisol. All it takes is one or two encounters with an irate driver or anything like that to spike stress levels. Even the site of litter and filthy streets or drugs and graffiti these all dampen the mood of a walk. But if you are taking long walks in a wooded area on a well paved natural trail and with trees and nature surrounding you it makes a giant difference.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Backinthegame,Agree pretty much with your post and readers comments...
12+ years ago I had bilateral hip replacements...Wear and tear Arthritis,at
that time I used to regularly run up and down Mountains behind my place
The Surgeon told me that my joint and cartiledge damage was a direct result
of jarring caused by running DOWN hill,I have also been on
10% remaining Knee Cartledge since that time,avoided the agony of
having prosthetic knees by regular eating of gelatine and keeping my legs
strong.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I would go further and suggest walking with an occasional light jog for 30 seconds, and then resume walking, and every 5-10 minutes stop to do light stretching. When adding in a stretching element the walk becomes more of a real purposefully healthy exercise with relaxed intentions; whereas if you are stressed out and walking fast while rushing across town because you are running late for the next business meeting it will not provide the same benefits as a leisurely and safe walk in a park.

Walking outdoors is preferable with trees and nature around, and no headphones and no sunglasses. I live in a big city and it is dense urban with buildings everywhere, there are a lot of annoying and inconsiderate people and dangers to navigate around: so the city itself is probably a big cause of cortisol for me.

Stress activates the cortisol. All it takes is one or two encounters with an irate driver or anything like that to spike stress levels. Even the site of litter and filthy streets or drugs and graffiti these all dampen the mood of a walk. But if you are taking long walks in a wooded area on a well paved natural trail and with trees and nature surrounding you it makes a giant difference.
Jogging and stretching doesn't really contribute to what you want to use walking for. Jogging introduces cortisol unnecessarily and isn't going to provide any additional benefits. You would be far better off sprinting for 30 seconds and turn it into an HIIT session of you wanted to do that. Stretching is great to do in warmups for injury prevention but as an actual activity actually kinda sucks in terms of providing any real benefits to fat loss and can actually hinder muscle growth if done too much.

Yes, walking in nature is definitely preferable, but walking anywhere is still good for your body, even taking the cortisol component out of it. It still provides a huge array of health benefits, burns fat as its energy source, not carbs, and will reduce blood sugar.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to run 40 miles weekly give or take. Began to shred my joints. Now I walk and lift and once in a while swim.

Much better on my body and doable for years.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I used to run 40 miles weekly give or take. Began to shred my joints. Now I walk and lift and once in a while swim.

Much better on my body and doable for years.
And way better on body composition too...running equals catabolic hormones equals losing muscle and gaining fat pretty much on a constant basis.

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
Man I don’t know what I need to lose some of my dad bod weight

this is no easy task

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
It's actually very simplistic, you are not going about it the proper way.
You are probably right.
I’m trying to shed about 20 pounds of fat that is mostly around my midsection with the goal of slimming my midsection and losing love handle fat.

I also aim to be more consistent with calisthenics with the goal of just getting a really tuned up body but not jacked.

I walk around 1 hour every day, at least.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
You are probably right.
I’m trying to shed about 20 pounds of fat that is mostly around my midsection with the goal of slimming my midsection and losing love handle fat.

I also aim to be more consistent with calisthenics with the goal of just getting a really tuned up body but not jacked.

I walk around 1 hour every day, at least.
Fat around the midsection equals insulin resistance. I would start following things that fix that.

Could also mean low testosterone levels, might want to get that checked as well(testosterone helps with insulin resistance and has a huge effect on midsection fat)

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
I learned a lot from these replies.

No alcohol
No dairy is a big one for weight loss.
No cheese

You guys might be able to have 1 slice of cheese but not me. I would have 12.

I am also trying FODMAPS which ain’t no picnic either