Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

insomnia

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have insomnia and I wanted to know if there is a medication out there that helps me get sleep? I need something stronger than melatonin over the counter.

DarwinTaurus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've worked shift work for around the past 18 years, my current roster for the past few years, is a whole lot better than the previous one, currently, it is 2 days, 2 nights, then 4 off. Each shift is 12 hours. I have insomnia, and have had so for decades. For example, I came off my last night shift yesterday, I normally sleep for a couple of hours, but stayed awake all day. Ended up sleeping 9pm - 12am, then 5am to 8am.

Medication wise, I have used on and off over the years:

Melatonin - This didn't do much for me.
Restavit (Doxylamine) - I found that this give a hungover feeling the next morning, leaving me drowsy.
Phenergan (Promethazine - an Antihistamine) - similar effects to Restavit, but not as bad
Alcohol
Weed

One thing I probably need to start doing, is more exercise.

Apparently, gut health also plays a big part with the ability to achieve a good amount of sleep. I've had a stomach ulcer before, so this is another area that I should focus on, eating healthier.

DarwinTaurus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In Australia, Restavit and Phenergan are over the counter Pharmacy medicine. I believe Melatonin, you need a prescription for.

One other medication that I forgot from that list is Stilnox (zolpidem). That is prescription, and I've only had it a couple of times. I was really wary of this, as I think you can get hooked / reliant on it. One other one, which is also prescription is Temazepam. I've only used that a few times as well.

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I saw its the same in the States here too. I m gonna go to the Walgreens in town and pick some Restavit up. I can't take Stilnox too.I appreciate your list and advice.

DarwinTaurus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Aside from the medication side of things, other tips that I've read over the years are:

Use your bed for Sleep and Sex only, ie: no reading in bed, or watching TV.
Darken your room as best you can. Most relevant if you have to sleep during the day, if you are a shift worker like me. I've tried face masks before (ie: what people wear on planes), but I didn't like the feeling.
Same with sound, try earplugs? I didn't like the feeling, same with the face mask.
Keep your room as cool as possible, ie: air-con or fans. It is harder to sleep if you are hot.
Cease your electronic screen time at least an hour before bed.

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Aside from the medication side of things, other tips that I've read over the years are:

Use your bed for Sleep and Sex only, ie: no reading in bed, or watching TV.
Darken your room as best you can. Most relevant if you have to sleep during the day, if you are a shift worker like me. I've tried face masks before (ie: what people wear on planes), but I didn't like the feeling.
Same with sound, try earplugs? I didn't like the feeling, same with the face mask.
Keep your room as cool as possible, ie: air-con or fans. It is harder to sleep if you are hot.
Cease your electronic screen time at least an hour before bed.
cool thanks man! I used to count numbers too but that didn't really work like I wanted.

DarwinTaurus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I probably average around 4 - 6 hours per sleep, but that is broken, I wake up every hour or so. I never really ever get a long unbroken sleep.

If I was working a day shift, I try and also limit my caffeine intake from say, 3pm.

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I probably average around 4 - 6 hours per sleep, but that is broken, I wake up every hour or so. I never really ever get a long unbroken sleep.

If I was working a day shift, I try and also limit my caffeine intake from say, 3pm.
Wow thats the same with me . Broken sleep sucks. I love caffeine. a lot too. Not sure though if it hurts my sleep at all.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have insomnia and I wanted to know if there is a medication out there that helps me get sleep? I need something stronger than melatonin over the counter.
No.

If you saw a brain scan on sleeping pills, it looks similar to getting drunk and passing out. It's not the same as deep REM sleep.

Watch jre 1109. Follow Dr Matt walker. Read his book .do what it says. Darken your room. Eliminate caffeine entirely. At the very least noNE after noon.

Wear a sleep mask. Dim blue light on you'd phone and TV. Turn off lights on your home at 8pm. Buy a new bed and bedding. Turn down stimuli after dinner.

Read why we sleep by Dr Matt Walker.

A number of men got sterility, ED, LOW T, and a number of issues. If you check your test after bad sleep, guarantee its low. It's aging the F out of you. Get this handled.

Lastly, you might be suffering from sleep apnea. My grandfather had that. He did a sleep test and it lengthened his life and avoided complications.

Goodluck and god speed.

DarwinTaurus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good points. My Father, who recently passed, had sleep apnea, and had to wear that breathing machine at night. I suspect that I may have it it as well, due to the fact that over the past few years, I've woken up during the night, gasping for breath.

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good points. My Father, who recently passed, had sleep apnea, and had to wear that breathing machine at night. I suspect that I may have it it as well, due to the fact that over the past few years, I've woken up during the night, gasping for breath.
I don't believe I have sleep apnea. I breathe alright.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Matt Walkers stuff is definitely recommended.

Correct nutritional deficiencies. Matters a great deal, especially vitamin d. I know when I eat like **** and don't get sun light my sleep quality suffers. I have noticed this with the fit bit app I have that measures the amount of time I am in the different sleep cycles. Noticed it in the winter months when I stayed indoors a lot, after a few weeks of supplementing with vit d the score would go up consistently.

DarwinTaurus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I work in an office, which is also shift work. Good point about Vitamin D, I probably don't get enough Sun as I should. Perhaps supplements are the way to go.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
You can use advil or excedrin pm as well.
ZMA works too in fact it’s a bodybuilder supplement too, helps with muscle repair.

If you workout move it to 6pm…just some thoughts.

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Faithless said it best...

But there's no release, no peace,
I toss and turn without cease...
If I could only get some sleep...
I can't get no sleep...

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had horrible sleep... I found this out with a fitness watch. I was going to bed around 10 and waking up at 4 no matter what. I found my sleep was extremely broken and I hardly had any deep sleep or rem.

-no caffeine after 12
- 3-6 grams of glycine an hour before bed
- melatonin
- gaba
- magnesium glycinate

I also get to bed at 830-9pm now and my sleep has dramatically improved. 7:30-9 hours of nearly uninterrupted sleep.