"I'm Not Looking for Anything Serious Right Now"

When a woman says it, guys hear a confession. A heads-up. A scheduling conflict.

Here's the translation: I don't feel anything. Right now. With you.

Watch what happens when a man triggers actual attraction. The busy career, the recent breakup, the "not in a place to date" — all of it evaporates instantly. The same woman who was guarding her freedom is suddenly free every night.

The "22 Rules" explain why. When the right switches flip, her timeline rearranges itself around you.

Read more...

Want to bench press 315

BackInTheGame78

Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2014
Messages
16,881
Reaction score
19,139
I also recommended he see a PT instead of talking to us. No one here has enough knowledge to properly advise his case. Neither you nor I knows enough about what's causing his shoulder pain (it could be many things) to make conclusions. Anyways man, it's in OP's hands now. Have a good day.
Well I'm not sure I agree. In my experiences PTs have caused more issues than helped with existing issues.

Flat bench is bad for your shoulders period, it simply doesn't matter what the issue is. There are people out there with sports science and physiological degrees that tell people never to do it even if they have no shoulder issues based on the issues it can cause.
 

"She's Out of Your League"

You've said it a hundred times. Maybe a thousand. And every time you say it, you train your brain to freeze the next time she walks into the room.

Leagues are a myth invented by guys who are scared of women.

She's a person. She has bad breath in the morning. She picks songs she can't sing in the shower. She overthinks her own texts.

Walk over. Say something. The league dissolves the second you open your mouth.

Read more...

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 14, 2014
Messages
5,747
Reaction score
2,964
Age
27
Location
Right behind you
Well I'm not sure I agree. In my experiences PTs have caused more issues than helped with existing issues.

Flat bench is bad for your shoulders period, it simply doesn't matter what the issue is. There are people out there with sports science and physiological degrees that tell people never to do it even if they have no shoulder issues based on the issues it can cause.
It only causes an impingement if you bench with your elbows flaring outwards like an idiot. But if you bench in the normal position, or inwards, it’s fine. Flaring your elbows outwards causes the bursa to move over, which then causes the tendons to grind against the clavicles directly. THAT is what causes the inflammation. But if you bench normally, the bursa doesn’t shift back far enough.

@GrowingPains come read this so that you now know this too.
 

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 1, 2018
Messages
953
Reaction score
690
Age
30
Well I'm not sure I agree. In my experiences PTs have caused more issues than helped with existing issues.

Flat bench is bad for your shoulders period, it simply doesn't matter what the issue is. There are people out there with sports science and physiological degrees that tell people never to do it even if they have no shoulder issues based on the issues it can cause.
Okay well I'll speak for myself. I don't know enough to agree or disagree. All I know is I benched two days ago and my shoulders are fine.

There are also people with the same degrees that bench press (linked above) and prescribe it to their clients. Another person, for reference, is Dr. Mike Isratel. Anyways, my point isn't to argue here. I hope that OP can take all of this information and make a decision to the best of his ability.

Thanks, @ImTheDoubleGreatest! A good cue for this is to 'break the bar' and to pull your chest to the bar during the eccentric phase.
 

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 18, 2015
Messages
10,537
Reaction score
8,538
Age
37
Bench is the most overrated exercise in the gym. If your shoulders hurt, shift your focus to the overhead press. It still works all the same muscles but it prevents shoulder impingement and creates deltoid balance.

The best way to increase your bench is to simply bench more weight. Like all compound lifts, start light and increase weight each workout. There are no sufficient assistance exercises for the bench. However, increasing your pulling strength seems to do the trick. You’ll get more on your bench out of doing barbell rows and pull ups than trying to add more pressing exercises.

You are correct your bench is weak for you current size. Good benching numbers for natural lifters are 1.5-1.75Xs your body weight, depending on body morphology. OP should be benching 350+ with ease.
 

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 18, 2015
Messages
10,537
Reaction score
8,538
Age
37
Some personalized advices for OP:

If you have really long limbs you’re built like me, which shouldn’t be surprising because black people on average have a higher center of mass, longer limbs, and shorter torso than white people and Asian people.

Do a push-up in the most comfortable position for you. That’s your bench form. For me (fellow long arm), that means a closer, shoulder-width grip will feel better and protect the shoulders by resisting the urge to flare the elbows. Ignore any spotters telling you to grip wider. I’ve managed to avoid shoulder pain benching for years by doing this.

For results I bench 230-240 for 3X3 at a body weight of only 164 lbs. my 1 rep max was 260.
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

jaymbrs

Master Don Juan
Joined
Oct 27, 2017
Messages
1,966
Reaction score
1,969
Age
39
Heavy sets, 3-5 range. Keep track of your progress. You should be increasing weight by 2.5-5 lbs every week. Once you can rep 295x5, you should be able to max 315.
 
Top