Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Want to bench press 315

cola

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6’1 235 lbs 30 years old.

My bench press has always sucked. Benching hurts my shoulders so it’s hard for me to do it. My current max bench is 265 for 1, I can rep out 225. Trying to get to 315(for reps) in the next six months.
Any Tips?

Also I have freakishly long arms, I notice all the guys benching heavy weight at my gym have short stubby arms, are my long arms a factor?

17 shots

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you do pushups regularly? They strengthen your stabilizer muscles and help a lot with your bench if you do them consistently

RickTheToad

Reaction score

My bench press has always sucked. Benching hurts my shoulders so it’s hard for me to do it. My current max bench is 265 for 1, I can rep out 225. Trying to get to 315(for reps) in the next six months.
Any Tips?

Also I have freakishly long arms, I notice all the guys benching heavy weight at my gym have short stubby arms, are my long arms a factor?
Need to strengthen your bi's and tri's first, then move to the higher weights. You may be holding the bar at not the best position. Check out Athlean x's channel.

Tri's

Bi's

Shoulders

Bench
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vthMCtgVtFw

Shoulder pain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxmEJP6zCM

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Any Tips?

Cola mate, if benching hurts your shoulders, a 315 bench is foolish. Likely, you have wackkk form hence the feedback from your brain and body. Soreness is post workout norn. PAIN is bad.

Tip? Get a trainer. Do it legit. Not get fat and bench a lot heavier.

I am not a mind reader but, if i were to guess, I suspect your form is off. Pain could be improper form or you are simply not focusing on the mind/body connection. If i were to guess, the pain is likely due to benching from a slight internal rotation position. You want shoulder blades back, chest open, and slight external rotation not internal rotation. Feet planted flat on the ground. Watch AthleanX Jeff Cavalier for proper form.

Curious is curious. What is the normal training regime? Set? Rep range?

Go 3 sets of 8 reps. Play with 5x5 strength training routine. You can do 6 sets of 3reps power lift but its high risk and i suspect that you may have imbalances. 5x5 gives me stupid strength.

How's your incline bench? It should be closely correlated.

Enjoy the ride man. You hit 315 and then what? One of my mates was repping 325lbs in HIGH SCHOOL. He's a juggernaut. I met his father. He makes brock lesnar look small. Its a example of genetic predisposition.

I have seen a 4 plate bench at the gym. Dudes on gear clearly. 315 is usually on the cusp of gear for most guys. Been training since i was 16. Keep at it.

Be warned. You can hit it but then what? There's no freebies. It's at a cost and comes with a risk. By forty i will not be hitting these lifts. The risk is not worth it.

The biggest bench i ever saw live was a 5plate bench. Dudes mangled as ****kk now. Agsin, its not without the consequences. Ask yourself why you want it. PRs are great but what's your play?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

Any Tips?

I'd stop doing flat bench. If you are having shoulder issues you are probably similar to me in that it puts you in a physiologically poor position which will eventually cause injuries if you keep doing it. Flat bench is notoriously hard on your body and puts it in a very weird position.

I'd recommend doing decline bench which is easier on your body and shoulders and allows you to actually push more weight. Also weighted dips and weighted pushups which uses your body weight plus the additional weight to almost replicate the effectiveness of the bench press with far less wear and tear.

Long arms make it more difficult but not impossible, it has to do with muscle insertion points and natural form...some people's body structure puts them into a perfect natural form for lifting whereas other people have much lesser natural form due to no real fault of their own.

cola

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you do pushups regularly? They strengthen your stabilizer muscles and help a lot with your bench if you do them consistently
No, I never do push-ups besides at the end of chest day as a burnout.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since I've gotten older, I hate doing push-ups. But I like doing bench presses. Odd, since it's a very similar motion using a lot of the same muscles. I guess I like that I get to lay down when I do them :lol:

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
external rotation
where have I heard this before?....
AthleanX Jeff Cavalier
There we go.
——————————
Okay, so cola, yes having long arms makes bench harder. The reason for it: imagine picking up a wooden stick at it center, and holding it horizontally while there’s a weight on one end. Now hold it horizontally, this time while holding it from the other end instead.

666B13C1-2D44-40E8-BBF2-09294A53126E.jpeg 72993A11-25D2-40F6-98F8-1D2D24AAEBFB.jpeg

It’s harder to hold it in the second picture than in the first. The holding it from the center represents someone with a shorter arm, holding it from the end represents someone with a longer arm. That’s basically why it’s harder to bench with longer arms.

So what to do about it?

You gotta strengthen your shoulders. Do TYWL’s. I know for a fact that you’re not doing them. How do I know? Because they look like exercises really old people do for physical therapy. Thing is, that’s exactly true, and it’s also one of the reasons why no one likes to do them. But you gotta understand that this type of stuff is done in physical therapy (I know this because I had to do PT since my shoulders and back were bothering me).

Do TYWL’s at the end of every push day and at the end of every pull day. This is the most important. You gotta bulletproof your shoulders. Stretch your shoulders out too, but do it LIGHTLY since they're hurting you.

I’ll have to do a part 2 for this bc the website won’t let me post more pics or whatever.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Part 2...

Another good exercise is to hold some weights out in front of you like a forward shoulder raise, and then slowly move it out sideways, then forward gain, then sideways again, etc.

B7E6CEA2-637E-45BB-8A56-58BD83B8F6DA.jpeg
This picture is ass because I can’t draw 3D lol but you get the point. It’s basically transitioning from a sideways lateral hold to a forward lateral hold, and then back. And you do this slowly and controlled. It looks gay, but it’s good for you.

Lastly, holding some dumbbells to your chest and then pushing forward slowly, and then pulling them back in slowly, etc. are good as well:
DCC5470F-CE06-4B14-B7B7-3D0C5028A1D6.jpeg
Not sure if it’s making any sense but yeah.

~~~

Basically, keep benching the way you’re doing right now, but just add in these exercises. After about 2-4 weeks (if consistent), change up your bench regimen to be more strength oriented. There’s tons of them online. Maybe do something like:

Week 1: 5x5
Week 2: 5x8
Week 3: 8x3
Week 4: 4/4/3/3/2/1

Or something like that. You could just go heavy the whole time of you wanted to lol but you make yourself much more prone to injury if you do. I’ve pulled my right pec like 17 times (not joking), and 2 of the times were grade 2 tears so that wasn’t fun. My left pec about 4 times. The right one though almost got weaker because of it so yeah I’m a bit more careful now (I don’t really flat bench anymore; incline and weighted dips for me).

If you do go heavy the whole time, you’ll need to do some speedwork (speedwork prevents injury if you go heavy a lot). Basically, if you feel like something might tear or whatever, take a ‘deload’ week or 2 for bench at least; and instead of doing heavy weights, you’d cut the weight to about 50-60% of the weight you normally use and just bench it as fast/hard as you can on the push. Controlled on the way down, but when you push, push that **** as fast and as hard as you can. That’s speedwork.

Pushups are only good because calisthenics in general promote power and essentially are the speedwork stuff I just mentioned. But you have to lock out with them in order for it to work. While they're fine, I personally don’t like to do them in a case like this is much because then my pushups will increase more than my bench, or my bench would go up and then I’d tear my ****. What I do instead now is one arm pushups because it’s essentially the same thing but more weight makes it more translational to bench.

It’s also important to note, however, that pushups of any kind will help your dips wayyyyy more than your bench. In fact, pushups never really helped me much for bench if I’m being honest, but they really shot up my dips.

As for supplements: bone broth.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Any Tips?

According to my old workout buddies, yes. I have short arms and was once able to bench twice my weight.

As for reps "hurting", that comes with the territory. I had hit a point where I was too strong for my small wrists, and so I kept on straining them.

CBear

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Limb length plays a huge factor. Simply put, someone with long arms will have to use more range of motion for the bench. Therefore, their bench numbers will be weaker than say, deadlift, which you would excel at because you don't have to lift the bar as high as people with shorter arms. People with shorter arm spans excel at bench press and have weaker deadlift numbers. This is another reason why shorter people have an easier time getting stockier when working out. Shorter limbs=less range of motion.

I wouldn't get too caught up with bench press, especially if you're already having shoulder problems. Whenever I train people or make them programs, I don't include deadlift, squat, and bench if they're not power lifters because there's a much higher risk for back problems later in life and you can get way bigger without wasting your energy on these lifts. But it also depends on why you want the 315 lb bench. If you want to compete, get an ego boost, get stronger, or look physically better. Because if it's the last 2, again, that can be done easily without bench.

cola

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just realized I posted this in main forum instead of health and fitness mod help me out.

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@cola nice to see someone wanting to get after it.

I skimmed the advice above.. I agree with some of it... I think? Most of it I don't but whatever here's mine.

Two things that I recommend:

1. Pain is not solely due to poor form. This is outdated and it's more complicated than that. For example, just the preconception itself that benching causes shoulder pain can cause shoulder pain. Because your brain is sending a signal, pain (a protective mechanism), to be cautious of that area even if it isn't hurt. I'm not saying it isn't, but I'm saying it's more complex than just bad form. If you would like to learn more about pain and why it's happening, I would suggest checking out Barbell Medicine (a group of strong ass medical doctors) and visit a physical therapist.. maybe even one of Barbell Medicine's therapists. They have a lot of content explaining pain. Ultimately, I recommend a good PT. They also have a free beginner routine. Which leads me to my next point.

2. If you want to get good at bench pressing. Bench press more. Powerlifting is really big on specificity. You want to do movements that are similar to the one you're trying to improve I order to get it stronger. 5x5 is an okay program. But it is also outdated. At the time it was released, 5x5, the Texas method, and 5/3/1 were free templates you could get online. That was huge a decade ago. But now there are much better programs online. Like this one. The reason those programs aren't great is because they don't consider periodization, fatigue of the athlete or any other factors that are important for long-term gains. You can run those programs, and you will make some progress. But you may stall. You may even injure yourself. For example, earlier this year I injured my adductor while squatting 330 lbs doing 5x5. I went from 275 to 330 in a month and my body was not ready for that load so quickly. 5x5 doesn't have periodization (I'd suggest googling this, I've already typed too much here and there's many articles that would explain it better than I). So boom, injury. Now I have a coach and things are much better. I just squatted 330 for 5x5 easy earlier this week. Anyways, fvckalldat. I just realized when skimming through the Beginner Prescription on BBM's website that they offer 60 pages of info on why their program is the way it is and have videos (including a 17 minute bench press video) at the bottom on how to do the major lists. Damn if I didn't have a coach you already know what I'd be on. Doing accessory movements will not improve your bench press as fast as bench pressing and doing other press variations will. Obviously some accessory work is needed but after the main lifts. Powerlifting (or moving heavy weight in general) is more than moving weight, it is a skill. You have to learn how to brace, leg drive, keep a tight upper back, break the bar... All at once. I mean you don't have to, but you'd move bigger weights if you did.

I guess it helps to have some credibility with these kind of things so for that sake: I weigh 195 lbs. I've only been bench pressing since I started with my coach 5 months ago. I was doing 155 lbs for 5x5 in week 1 to drill the technique. Yesterday I was doing 230 for 4x5 and I recently hit 280 lbs for 1 after 3x3 with 235 lbs.

If you have any questions lm happy to chat about it or try to help find an answer. Wish you the best in your journey, get that sh!t.

"Big back, big bench. Big back, big total."

I have long arms. 6'1" height. Who cares if long arms makes it harder. Just get that work.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
can't figure out why guys with sh1t nutrition and sh1t workout equipment come out of prison looking like Mr. Olympia.
For real. These guys eat potato chips and drink pop all day and are strong as ****.
In my experience benching has to do with support muscles/testosterone/lifestyle. When I came out of the military I felt strong all over, not just in my upper body. I would routinely hike up mountains while carrying 100 lb backpacks. And I felt like my body was surging with testosterone. Benching 300 was nothing. It was just a matter of raising my intensity and "inner rage." Nowadays, I can barely bench 215. I might pop my shoulder attempting 300, lol. I feel like I have 1/5th the testosterone despite going to the gym 6 times a week. I look just as fit, but I am half as strong. It's because I'm an office worker now and not an animal. There's no fight or flight response telling me I need to be strong to survive. My brain is not going to flood me with an overabundance of testosterone for no reason. Your brain, by evolutionary design, only gives you what is needed to survive, and nothing more. Energy conservation is it's natural state.

When you are in an environment like the military or even prison, your physiology changes to compensate. I know a guy who came out of prison who's 5'6, 160, who can bench 350+ and squat 400 +. He had to get strong for survival. And before getting locked up, he was a twink who never lifted in his life. If you are an office worker who sits on his chair 8 hours a day, you're not going to have the same physiology as an inmate or animal in the military. Those bodybuilders who isolate muscle groups all take supplements to change their physiology/hormones. If you want to change yourself on a natural level, you need a lifestyle where your brain will send signals to your body that you need to be strong for survival. Of course, some people are born with natural beast genetics.

Having said all of that, there's a technique called "signaling" where a person works on the same muscle groups 3 times a week and eventually your brain sends signals to that muscle group that it must physiologically change and adapt and get stronger because the environment/lifestyle requires it. It's like some kind of hack.

It goes to show you that it all starts in your mind/brain. There are guys who try to adopt prison workouts and can't come close to the results. There are even physical trainers who can't figure out why guys with sh1t nutrition and sh1t workout equipment come out of prison looking like Mr. Olympia. It's all in the brain.
Bro all of your posts say literally the same exact thing as what I used to say wtf. But no one here gets it, they don’t have the ability to fully comprehend it. I’ve lost much of my own ability to comprehend it too. I used to be able to just force my mindset to be more aggressive in the right way and could up my testosterone naturally. And the thing is, I KNEW it was working too because when I was at practice (used to swim competitively), I’d start having symptoms of steroid use when I’d never taken them before lmao. But I’m starting to lose it now...

fanatic22

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Some good advice here. That being said I'm done with the powerlifting. I peaked at 285 for a single before realizing it means absolutely nothing. Now I put in 1/3rd of the time at the gym and just focus on hypertrophy because I've got other priorities. I ended up getting more muscular much faster while my lifts actually decreased across the board, lol. Plus I don't deal with the disappointment that comes with a missed lift, that used to mess up my whole day.

17 shots

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, I never do push-ups besides at the end of chest day as a burnout.
Start doing them on days you don't lift weights. You can do them randomly throughout the day, or all at once it doesn't matter, but do at least 6 sets. Focus on form and going all the way down, don't worry about how many you can do. Keep your hands the same width apart as you do when you bench. Go until failure

After like a week or 2 of that, start doing them on days you lift as well, after you lift. Do them 5 days a week, take 2 off. Your bench will improve

If you take amino acids, take them after you finish pushups just like u would after a weights session

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
@cola nice to see someone wanting to get after it.

I skimmed the advice above.. I agree with some of it... I think? Most of it I don't but whatever here's mine.

Two things that I recommend:

1. Pain is not solely due to poor form. This is outdated and it's more complicated than that. For example, just the preconception itself that benching causes shoulder pain can cause shoulder pain. Because your brain is sending a signal, pain (a protective mechanism), to be cautious of that area even if it isn't hurt. I'm not saying it isn't, but I'm saying it's more complex than just bad form. If you would like to learn more about pain and why it's happening, I would suggest checking out Barbell Medicine (a group of strong ass medical doctors) and visit a physical therapist.. maybe even one of Barbell Medicine's therapists. They have a lot of content explaining pain. Ultimately, I recommend a good PT. They also have a free beginner routine. Which leads me to my next point.

2. If you want to get good at bench pressing. Bench press more. Powerlifting is really big on specificity. You want to do movements that are similar to the one you're trying to improve I order to get it stronger. 5x5 is an okay program. But it is also outdated. At the time it was released, 5x5, the Texas method, and 5/3/1 were free templates you could get online. That was huge a decade ago. But now there are much better programs online. Like this one. The reason those programs aren't great is because they don't consider periodization, fatigue of the athlete or any other factors that are important for long-term gains. You can run those programs, and you will make some progress. But you may stall. You may even injure yourself. For example, earlier this year I injured my adductor while squatting 330 lbs doing 5x5. I went from 275 to 330 in a month and my body was not ready for that load so quickly. 5x5 doesn't have periodization (I'd suggest googling this, I've already typed too much here and there's many articles that would explain it better than I). So boom, injury. Now I have a coach and things are much better. I just squatted 330 for 5x5 easy earlier this week. Anyways, fvckalldat. I just realized when skimming through the Beginner Prescription on BBM's website that they offer 60 pages of info on why their program is the way it is and have videos (including a 17 minute bench press video) at the bottom on how to do the major lists. Damn if I didn't have a coach you already know what I'd be on. Doing accessory movements will not improve your bench press as fast as bench pressing and doing other press variations will. Obviously some accessory work is needed but after the main lifts. Powerlifting (or moving heavy weight in general) is more than moving weight, it is a skill. You have to learn how to brace, leg drive, keep a tight upper back, break the bar... All at once. I mean you don't have to, but you'd move bigger weights if you did.

I guess it helps to have some credibility with these kind of things so for that sake: I weigh 195 lbs. I've only been bench pressing since I started with my coach 5 months ago. I was doing 155 lbs for 5x5 in week 1 to drill the technique. Yesterday I was doing 230 for 4x5 and I recently hit 280 lbs for 1 after 3x3 with 235 lbs.

If you have any questions lm happy to chat about it or try to help find an answer. Wish you the best in your journey, get that sh!t.

"Big back, big bench. Big back, big total."

I have long arms. 6'1" height. Who cares if long arms makes it harder. Just get that work.
Bench press is a very physiologically poor exercise that depending on individuals can cause a lot of shoulder issues due to the position it forces your body into.

Decline benching is preferred to alleviate the issues with flat benching.

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bench press is a very physiologically poor exercise that depending on individuals can cause a lot of shoulder issues due to the position it forces your body into.

Decline benching is preferred to alleviate the issues with flat benching.
I don't know enough about it to agree or disagree. OP said he wants to bench 315, so I advised how.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I don't know enough about it to agree or disagree. OP said he wants to bench 315, so I advised how.
OP also said he had shoulder issues which means he should probably stop doing flat bench unless he wants something like an impingement which would be at minimum a 6 month issue he would be dealing with and potentially the rest of his life.

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP also said he had shoulder issues which means he should probably stop doing flat bench unless he wants something like an impingement which would be at minimum a 6 month issue he would be dealing with and potentially the rest of his life.
I also recommended he see a PT instead of talking to us. No one here has enough knowledge to properly advise his case. Neither you nor I knows enough about what's causing his shoulder pain (it could be many things) to make conclusions. Anyways man, it's in OP's hands now. Have a good day.