Why Women Mention Other Men Even IF They Are Interested in You!

solo1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
what wyldfire said is so true. I was on good grounds with this girl (hung out a few times in the past) in a community college, after transferring out and not seeing me for a full semester...she called me during the summer.

Anyway in the conversation, i didnt even ask her and she brought up that she was in the car with her bf...she was BSing me and i knew off the bat. since ive long lost interest in her i cut the convo short.
Then a couple of months later i email her to ask how she's doing and she mentioned she wanted to go for drinks seomtime. I call a few days later to set up a day for drinking, she unhesitantly answered the phone and accepted the offer. I went, we chatted and we parted.

I used to have oneitis for this girl a long time ago, and that day i saw all the flaws about her that i never realized which was quite a shock.

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole 5 pages, geeeeez, but like anything a woman says, it could have many diff. meanings. If she merely mentions other guys, yes, it is probably a way of showing you her value and making you want her more, but how the hel-l is a normal guy gonna know that means to try harder? That is stupid. I think you're right in that some women mention competition as a way to see how interested you are (how the statement affects you, so she is implying interest in you by gauging your own interest in her), but on the other hand, most women mention competition more as a test... if you act jealous or whatever, you immediately cause her to lose attraction for you. Finally, if she conveniently slips the word "bf" into her conversation with you, she probably isn't interested, or at least, isn't worth your effort. Women are like monkies, swinging from man to man, but they won't let go of one until they are sure they have the other. Maybe she wants you more than her bf, but it is going to be a waste of time to try to finally get her to let go and then take you, and you'll probably fail. I personally don't screw with girls who say they have a bf or whatever. If everyone followed your advice, there would be a lot of angry gf's out there, but then again, who cares.

billymas

Reaction score
Hi i m new to this forum here!!
My case is that after i went out the first date with her,
i done a very wrong mistake to ask her whether does she feeling that i am pursuing her.
at first,she cracked & laughed,then said something like:
"How cute of you!!most of my friends are doing the same thing to me,so i don't even think of you are pursuing me."
does she means that i m in the friends-zone?
Does this kinda sentences has any underlying meaning?
Any help would be appreciated,thanks!!

arutha

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like you weren't making your intentions clear enough, and just acting like a friend...

billymas

Reaction score
yeah!i know.........
Then what should i do in order to make the "intention" stronger?
By the way,
From our first conversation,i know that she just broke up with her ex last year,so for this moment she haven't think she will involve herself in a relationship,i do not how to respond........

DiMarzio

Reaction score
Ok.... this has happened to me before. I am currently friends with this girl, however she always seems to be talking about other guys, be it guys she wants, guys she thinks are cute, and just about other guys. I dont mind her telling me cuz i am her friend, however i do not think its possible for her to like me, as i have already tried to get with her and failed miserably. since then i tried to keep the friendship alive and realised i was failing as well, that was another mistake, after i decided to leave her alone and not speak to her anymore, she came crawling back to me and told me she wanted to be friends. So now im confused, could her telling me about guys mean that she likes me, or could it be that she just telling me these things cuz im her good friend and she trusts me?

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My girlfriend of about a year started talking about other guys, as in: "So and so was driving by and shouted out that I'm hot, then they drove by again and I kinda saw the car move into the other lane as they were staring at me", or "so and so keeps calling me!".

I really get irritated when girls do that, no matter what the reason is. So I called her on it. She denied everything, saying she wouldn't play games with me, ever. I kinda let it rest at that, after some tears on her part, but never really believed her (though it could have been subconscious). But she stopped with the bullshyt.

I think it's nothing but blatant disrespect on a woman's part when she starts bragging to you about other men. Especially if you've been going out for longer than a month and are over 15 years old. And I don't need the reason to reason with myself on this. I don't care why she does it. If she does, she gets called on her bull. And if her il is low or high or left or sideways or whatever, there are always plenty of other indicators to look for.

In fact, is it just me, or does anyone else begin to feel more distant towards the woman who brags about failed conquests of other men to you? If a woman ever does that to me again, I'll tell her to get out of my house. End of story.

And that shìtrag cosmopolitan is no help either - ... and if he mentions it to you, "he's just trying to put his foot down, like his mommy told him to." (That's a direct quote, gents. Not sure what context it was used in, but the chapter was dedicated to mindfvcking). The truth is becoming real ugly. In fact, if I find out a prospective date reads cosmo (or the Bible, as it's called by teenyboppers with no personality), my guard goes way up, and I break it off at first sign of trouble.

Now, before anybody considers pointing out to me that I'm full of repressed anger or whatnot, consider this: I don't care. This turned into a bit of a rant about something I meant to get out for a while, so spare me the psychobabble. I'm quite happy with the system as is. It could be better, but it could be a hell of alot worse. And the game is still the game, it involves weeding out the crap. Such is life.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Disconnect...your girlfriend most likely did that because she was feeling like you weren't showing her that you want her anymore. Women will do that when they feel insecure in the relationship. If you suspect that's the case, you should throw the girl a bone once in awhile to let her know you care about her and want her around. Over time, if a woman doesn't feeling wanted or loved she'll end up leaving you.

arutha

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by arutha
I'm not going to quote Pook's post again, because it is very long, but...

Often people have mentioned how she talks about the bf to tell if shes interested or not, ie. if its actions, then its social proof, if its feelings then shes hooked in him.

What if she doesn't talk about him to you at all? I mean even when you subtly probe, she won't ever mention being with him or whatever. And when the fact is finally revealed, she says 'she didn't want to ***** about him around me, because I was different, she had other friends who she *****ed to about him.'

Some might say that means make a move, yup tried that. 'Oh I have a bf' followed by the above stuff.

Maybe she was just playing hard to get? Any opinions? Wyldefire?
I'd still like an opinion on this.. She avoids the subject like the plague.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by arutha
I'd still like an opinion on this.. She avoids the subject like the plague.
If you made a move on her and she wasn't interested then she's just not interested in you romantically.

Spirit Fingers

Don Juan
Reaction score
Suppose a guy walked up to a group of girls, and said "Hey girls...I'm really good in bed. Seriously. Girls love me. I mean, wherever I go, girls are attracted to me."

This **** is HARDCORE LAME because he's qualifying himself to the groups to try to impress them. When a girl tells you how much other guys like her, it's the same thing.

If it only happens once in a while, just subcommunicate that she just acted lame by qualifying herself to you. "Style-mogging" comments like an unimpressed "that's awesome" work well here. If she doesn't get it, then just tell her that you already like her, and that there's no need for her to impress you.

-Dan

heidegger

Reaction score
Wyldfire and anyone else

Wyldfire, you should be writing a book for men on this stuff. You understand your own actions so well, and that helps you explain this sort of thing to us idiots.

So here is my question.

I have been going to a restaurant partly because I like one of the gals who waitresses there. I have spent a lot of time, probably too much time, trying to know when it was was right to ask her out and also whether she wants me to do that. I seldom find a woman attractive so it's not like I'll find another next week. And there's an age difference (not one she will know because I don't show it). But I did want her to know me a little before I went forward. That's not easy in a busy restaurant. Anyway, signs that she is interested are always followed by signs that she isn't. I can't get a clear reading. So I have tried to give her some signs that I might be -- that way she could back off. So for example, one night she told me where she lived and the next day I said to her that I had driven by and it was a nice house. She was nice for two days then cold, then she got very nice again, laughing at stupid jokes, asking me about my education and background, stuff like that. She seemed stunned when she heard that I play guitar, because she also plays and so do people in her family as well as her sister's boyfriend. So those are just some details. I also have been asking her to get her dad to translate some French words as he speaks French, and she has been bringing the translations in. Anyway, today I saw her and she asks me if I speak Spanish and I say a little and she says can you tell me what (she looks in a notepad) "chica bella" means and I say "Well bella means beautiful," She then said "Beautiful what?" I thought about it and I said "...a man must have said this to you." She laughed as if this were true. Then I said "I think it means beautiful eyes. It must mean beautiful eyes because you have beautiful eyes." (turns out it is the Spanish slang for "hot girl" or something of that sort). She laughed and seemed to take pleasure in the meaning of the message, but her head also dropped down a little in embarassment.

Anyway, I thought about it and I read Wyldfire and I am thinking that maybe she did want to make me a little jealous or perhaps she wanted to light a fire under me so that I would take some sort of action. But at the same time she is always telling me that she is busy. So I am still dealing with mixed signals.

I guess I will just bite the bullet and ask her out. If she says no, I can always eat at another restaurant. But I sure would appreciate any interpretations and advice before I do. Thanks

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As was mentioned before, there are basically two different scenarios:

1.) She is interested in you and
a.) wants to test you to see if you get jealous
and/or b.) wants you to know you have competition because it is her discrete way of saying: "Hurry up and make a move."

2.) She isn't interested in you and might want you to leave her alone.

I'd say the chances of either are 50/50.

heidegger

Reaction score
Well you know I think you're right when you say 50/50. And I don't think you are being a smartass. I think that what you say is really insightful.

I couold tell you other times when she asked me questions about my education, touched her hair flirtatiously, said how much she enjoyed talking to me; but then there are as many times that she was cold as snow, even the next day. Whatever messages she is sending she is sending out a fair number in both directions. Maybe mixed messages mean something? Frustration? Uncertainty?

At any event this has gone on long enough. At this point I still don't know if she wants to go out with me. But I know that SHE knows. So I am going to just ask her, find out, and be done with this stage of it one way or the other.

heidegger

Reaction score
Well for anyone one or two who has read my last few emails it is worth noting that I did not get a date tonight. Something can be learned from this. Maybe many things.

First there was a snowstorm that made travelling dangerous -- a sign from the gods? No matter, i jumped in my car started it, then stepped out to clean the windshield. Locked out of the car. . Can't call my mom for the spare key because my cell phone is dead Also locked out of the house because that key is IN the car. Try to get in through the basement and this soaks my new slacks. Bust a window get inside and change. On the way I get stuck on a snow covered hill with six cars sliding from side to side. And so I know, I really know that fate is trying to send ome a message.

All the same the time has come. It doesn't really matter what her answer is. The time has come to ask and to let her know that she has been asked. So I get to the parking lot and walk in. I enter and say "I must really love this food!" The truth is I am so sick of it! And I have an idea. Although we talk regularly when she is not busy we don't use names a lot so I think (and this is a good lesson gentelman) to ask her a question. I say "What's my name?" About six weeks earlier I had given her my name and she had never used it, but I knew that is she did not remember it then I did not register for her. And she didn't know it. She only remembered one letter. So I just went "Oh, oh."

She got me my drink and I said, "Look, I may as well tell you this. The reason I asked if you knew my name is because I wanted to ask you out to a Christmas performance of the Nutcracker but I didn't want to make you uncomfortable at your place of work, so I thought if you didn't remember my name that there would be no sense in asking." At this point I look up at her and she is smiling from ear to ear, biggest smile ever. So I add "But of course if you would go I'm still willing to ask."

She says, and I believe this was honest. "I am really really flattered and there's no reason to feel uncomfortable about asking me out at work but I am seeing someone now. It seems that "Chica bella" boy (and I think only a "boy" -- that is an adult child -- would write something so ridiculous) is real and that she met him last week on a trip. She didn't say "right now" which of course means she currently hopes and expects that the relationship will last. She then went on to explain that she was so busy the day that I gave her my name that it didn't register.

What have I learned from this. First of all, my hat is off to 50/50 man. He was right, maybe she would say yes but just as maybe she would say no. That is the problem with reading the signs. I think that we have to learn, or at least I have to learn, to do more than that. I can see, for example, that I became a real potential partner for her for the first time ever tonight -- only because I asked her out. A mental block, perhaps the job, caused her to never see me that way before. Now she sees me as a potential boyfriend and will imagine a little what that might be like even though it is in some senses too late. I should have got that on the table sooner.

David De Angelo the dating guru has a hit on them and if they don't like it try the next one philosophy. I could get lalid every night of the week if I used that model. But I always look for something special in a woman -- eyes, the way she moves, the way she speaks, a combination that says to me "this is a person that I can be happy with" When I find one of those it is rare and I don't want to just hit on her if there is a high chance that she does not respond to such hits (and the women I like do not)

So I would say something like this. If you are selective about the women you want and you find one who has potential you need to first get into her field of vision so that she knows something about what you're about. Then you need to let her know in a non-threatening way that you are interested. And then if she is not immediately able, you have to wait and see if she comes to you. I remember I fell for a woman I knew who was dating another guy. I was staring off into space and she came over and asked me if I was okay and I said "I don't know. There aore these pools in your eyes and I fell into them yesterday, and now I don't know how I'm going to get out." It may sound corny but it felt true when I said it. Well it goes without saying that we ended up together eventually. I put it out there and then waited to see what would happen.

This time, however, I acted like an idiot. I waited and waited and studied and tried to see if I could recognize it happening without taking any steps to make it happen. And guess what -- it didn't!!! I wasn't even on her radar.

But now I am. Isn't that ridiculous. And not all in a good way. If I had put it out there two months ago we would be dating. Instead there is this other guy and I had to wear some disappointment on my face.

But I think women do compare even when they are dating. So she will be at least be thinking "Ok Spanish dude two thousand miles away" or this guy. And she will run other comparisons without even knowing it. She never did that before because she didn't know I was interested.

What is the lesson? I guess it would be that if you don't seem like a loser and you don't seem needy, and you have given her some idea of who you are and how you live and what you are about, then it is not a question of finding out if she wants you by reading signs. I think instead you have to put it out there. Take an action that lets her know something COULD happen. That way she has time to think about it and get her affiars in line and that way you don't seem too needy. So next time, if I am in a similar situation with a waitress, I will put something on the table soon after she has some sense of me that I might want to go out with her, and I would do it in a way that the comment is open ended so she has time to think about it.

But now that leads me to a question. She has known this guy for all of a week. She was with him for three days in another city. So it was probably a romantic fling. I know she wants a committed and hopefully permanent relationship and I think she is imagining that this one will be. But there are the thousands of miles and they barely know each other and they were set up. It seems to me that they just matched up as single and passionate and ready to partner. On the other hand I have been around for a few months. I certainly know what I like about her because I have thought about her as a partner for a long time. So I look at things like work ethic, how she responds to children, how she relates to freinds, and family. She knows a lot of these things about me too. I just know as well that it never entered her mind to think about me as a partner. But I know from the way she reacted that she was not at all thrown by it.

I find a woman that I feel emtionally attracted to only once a year, if that. A lot of people just tire me out. This is a woman who, I like everything about her. And I think that, if the new boyfriend does not work out, I might get a shot. So my question is this. Do you think I should give up and stop going to the restaurant? Or should I go tomorrow (I usually go on Saturdays) Or should I wait a few weeks before I go?

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, first of all, you busted a window out just so you could go see a girl?? lol
Two more things:

There is no "safe" way to attract the women you want. You say it is just a matter of taking it easy and doing everything the "non-threatening" way. You mention DeAngelo, and you know that DeAngelo says to treat every girl basically the same way.... he claims all girls are attracted by the same things, so there is no reason to play it safe on any single girl. You should find what girls respond to (teasing, kino, other forms of flirting, etc.) and always do that.... if you fail to do what attracts women then you won't get that one girl.

I think your main mistake with this women was from not doing what I said above. You say she never thought of you as a potential partner in the beginning, and that is not good. With every woman, right from the start you want them to see you as a potential mate, not a friend, not someone they can ignore, but someone they would consider having sex with and starting a relationship. It has been said that a woman knows within seconds of interacting with a man which category he fits into. It is hard to change categories once she has already classified you.

heidegger

Reaction score
You know dayone you may be right. I can think of guys I know who put it out there almost offensively. Women regularly respond with disgust, but they at least know they are disgusted by someone who they had to consider as a hook up. It is worse, I suppose, to be thought of as a suck up, or even nothing at all.

I read a long message from Pook and I will be taking the action route from now on. Even if it is just putting it out there.

I still disagree with De Angelo. I don't think all women are the same, any more than all men are. Hands down De Aneglo would get a woman before I did, but would he get the one I want? Or would he hit, miss, and move on? Someone is going to get that woman. I didn't do it right last time. But I will next.

heidegger

Reaction score
I gotta add -- I think I just got classified. And it's in the dating category. It's like I was in classification limbo for months -- maybe because she was working and saw me as a customer. So that is a question -- are there some circumstances when you don't even get noticed in either way. For example when you are already classified as:

1) student
2) customer
3) patient

things like that. Well I think that is what happened to me. I know that if I had been at a club she would have labelled me friend or partner and with the way I was acting it would have been friend. SO my bad, That has to change.