What is SELF-RESPECT?

Single4Life

Don Juan
Reaction score
To me, Self-respect is :

- setting forth your morals, your character. discover who you are, and visualize the type of man you want to be, and then be it.

- abiding by them at all times, never compromising for an easier road or decision

- accepting yourself for exactly what you are, and never deviating from that path for anyone. this means that you must live a life that is ready to sacrifice friendships, possible lovers, etc... since some people will not mix with who you are.

- never allowing yourself to be a person ruled by the lower paths. Those of primal emotion, violence, jealousy, hatred, all of the things that come natural to humans, our "first" reactions. Conquer them so that you may always be in control and behave with class

Last edited:

LuisGarcia10

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
For me, learning to always do your 100% best I'm everything you do, be it work, sports, relationships or anything else, will give you all the self respect you need.
Starting martial arts was the catalyst for me to do that, a lot has changed in the last 6 months!

roman81

Don Juan
Reaction score
We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and in spite of True Romance magazines we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely, at least, not all the time, but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.

SpareTimeDJ

Reaction score
Self respect (in my definition):

Respect what you are and what you have done. Respect your abilities, your personality, your priorities, your goals, your body, your thoughts and feelings etc. Regard them as important and meaningful and treat yourself as any person you respect. You defend them withing reason, your are polite towards them, you value their opinion and so forth.

Self respect is treating yourself as a person you would respect!

Self respect can be expressed in credos like this one (one of my own ^^): Think for yourself, act on your own! (Meaning that you are not dependant on others to think things through, to make decisions and for activities. e.g. You want to go to the movies/zoo/bars but none of your friends are coming. Then you just go for yourself!

Credos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Self-respect is dedicating yourself to your dreams without getting lost in the clutter for your own gratification.