Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Walking - one of the most underrated tools for weight loss

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I learned a lot from these replies.

No alcohol
No dairy is a big one for weight loss.
No cheese

You guys might be able to have 1 slice of cheese but not me. I would have 12.

I am also trying FODMAPS which ain’t no picnic either
Alcohol is terrible not only for the empty calories but also for the hormonal destruction is causes.

Dairy depends on the person. Some people do well with dairy, but about half the population(including me) is reactive to concentrated dairy, for example, whey protein and Greek yogurt, and will become bloated and have chronic low grade inflammation from those. Since those are huge "health products" people eat them a lot and many get frustrated as to why they can't lose weight.

I do fine with normal dairy...milk and cheese is fine with me, but I still tend to avoid it. Mainly because I'd prefer to drink almond or coconut milk and eat goat cheese.

Wheat is a huge problem. Wheat anything should be avoided like the plague(or COVID).

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Driving is one scourge of modern society in many different ways. I've seen a conversation online recently asking what's the shortest distance one would drive. Some quotes talking about children being driven to school at the end of the road etc etc. This is a pitiful appraisal of the world we live in.
An older friend of mine passed away just over a year ago. He would drive to the shops that were no more than a ten minute walk from his front door when just a few years earlier he was commuting to the city every day. Laziness will literally kill you.
I guess uber and lyft has only made it worse

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have always walked. My guilty pleasure is to chuff on a doobie or hit the THC vape, load up the camping stove and pans for an Al fresco dinner and go on a 3-5 hour hike. Now, I know that’s not the optimal approach but sue me, I love it. There is nothing quite like plodding a deserted beautiful valley or hill early on a Sunday, often with my parents Labrador. Lovely.

My weight has always been up and down and I’ve been pretty heavy but at 40 other than my genetic arthritis (which is a rare form which is actually HELPED by movement and exercise as opposed to rheumatoid) I’ve had no issues with any musco-skeletal disorders.

I have a range of very fit friends who run. Most if not all have had physio, chiropractors, and operations for groin, knee and hip issues.

I dislike running. Each to their own but it’s boring, the whole sport has a very “middle aged executive/goody two shoes” feel to it. Fun runs, marathons, nothing fills me with more revulsion than the try hard aspect of running. I prefer solitude, I dont want some **** in Lycra next to me or have to deal with some gang of bimbos puffing and cackling just waiting to have the post run boba and LinkedIn post on how they raised £17.60 for charity.

Cycling I feel the same way. All Olympic style sports to me just evoke a very stale middle class whiff which is off putting. Give me a ball sport all day.

No hate to others, you are welcome to your corporate exercise activity but give me the great outdoors, a fatty, a dog and my machete (yes you CAN carry these in U.K. the law is based on why you have it. It’s reasonable for a hiker to want a blade to chop out undergrowth. It’s not reasonable to walk to the local shop with a lock knife - that’s the law and that’s what youd Have to explain to a magistrate)

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I learned a lot from these replies.

No alcohol
No dairy is a big one for weight loss.
No cheese

You guys might be able to have 1 slice of cheese but not me. I would have 12.

I am also trying FODMAPS which ain’t no picnic either
I’d say these are a bit extreme. But if one has discipline problems it can be good.

Alcohol is okay in moderation. An occasional glass of wine, or shot of whiskey on the rocks won’t kill your fitness goals.

Dairy if you can digest it is fine, just stick to low fat or fat free dairy. It retains the protein and nutrients, but strips all the fat calories.

Wheat is a huge problem. Wheat anything should be avoided like the plague(or COVID).
I have not seen or heard any nutritionists refer to whole wheat foods as a problem, let alone to that degree.

I’m not a big bread eater, but I’ll use whole wheat buns for veggie burgers. They are delicious.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I’d say these are a bit extreme. But if one has discipline problems it can be good.

Alcohol is okay in moderation. An occasional glass of wine, or shot of whiskey on the rocks won’t kill your fitness goals.

Dairy if you can digest it is fine, just stick to low fat or fat free dairy. It retains the protein and nutrients, but strips all the fat calories.

I have not seen or heard any nutritionists refer to whole wheat foods as a problem, let alone to that degree.

I’m not a big bread eater, but I’ll use whole wheat buns for veggie burgers. They are delicious.
Wheat is an issue because of the change of lectins in GMO wheat. The body and gut bacteria are used to the lectins in the wheat that has been in use for 12000 years, but the lectins in GMO wheat help feed the wrong type of gut bacteria.

One of the lectins in this wheat also has a structural similarity to insulin and is used by the body as an insulin mimetic...however unlike cinammon which actively helps cells uptake glucose in the absence of insulin up to 10x better than normal, this actually blocks the receptor and is a very poor working insulin mimetic and prevents insulin from being able to do its job, leaving blood sugar readily available for storage into fat cells.

It also helps causes chronic low grade inflammation in most people and leads to weight gain or stalled weight loss in many. Similar to concentrated dairy but for different reasons.

Virtually all things we consume have been genetically modified in some form or fashion, but not all of it causes issues, wheat is one of the major ones that does.

Last edited:

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People associate "cardio" or "running" with losing weight but most don't associate walking...however in the grand scheme of things walking might actually come out ahead for a few reasons.

First, pretty much anyone is capable of doing it even as they get older. Unless you have some sort of issue with your feet or legs that prevent it, walking is able to be done by people of any age.

Secondly, unlike many other forms of cardio, walking LOWERS Cortisol instead of raising it. This is a stress hormone and is not good when you are trying to lose weight except in certain scenarios(like after lifting as a natural process your body goes through). This helps with lowering blood sugar and insulin resistance as well as Cortisol causes increases in those.

Thirdly, simply the act of moving the large muscles in your lower body repeatedly has the ability to suck glucose out of your bloodstream and into the muscles, WITHOUT the need for insulin, which obviously helps with lowering blood sugar levels.

Additionally, walking can be done daily even on off days from the gym to help get in some movement and can be done even on days where you life with no ill effects seen in terms of muscle gain.

Want to lose weight? Adding walking to your exercise routine might be something that helps far more than you would think.
Add sunlight while walking and it becomes even better for overall health.

I do it almost daily, and since then I've noticed a lot of benefits.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Add sunlight while walking and it becomes even better for overall health.

I do it almost daily, and since then I've noticed a lot of benefits.
Yep, can help Vitamin D levels during the warmer months and also helps with balancing mood related hormones in the body. Also helps regulate the internal circadian rhythm of the body regulating sleep patterns.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. Metabolic crossover. High intensity aerobics burns carbs and robs your muscles of glycogen. Why long distance runners are not very muscular especially when compared with a sprinter.

I think this is how ultra marathoners can be fat adapted as they are running slower than even most marathoners who may be trying to run faster and PR and burn through carbs such that they can bonk (mile 20 or so) and need sugary gels or chews.

Walking is so good for us and it's recoverable so as backinthegame says it can be done daily. Mentally i find it more relaxing than even slow runs.

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
It is time for me to get more serious about slimming down

here are my latest stats:

May 8, 228 pounds, 27.76 bmi
May 24, 223 pounds, 27.16 bmi

so although I lost weight, in 16 days it was only 5 pounds (or 1/3 pound per day).
My bmi is consider Overweight, which was not good to learn

my goal weight is around 190
My goal bmi is 18-25

i need to stop cooking with butter, sometimes i use a lot
Need more walking but I already walk maybe an hour per day
Need to write a new menu to follow closely
As far as drinking goes i just abstain because if i have even one glass i end up drinking all night

Last edited:

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Same deal about drinking.

had an injury post athletic event but its healing so going to try to walk more

using an airbike also

drink water
A little bit of coffee (i abuse coffee at times)
And tons of herbal tea

tightgrp

Don Juan
Reaction score

so although I lost weight, in 16 days it was only 5 pounds (or 1/3 pound per day).

My goal bmi is 18-25

As far as drinking goes i just abstain because if i have even one glass i end up drinking all night
Cut carbs not fat

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

bread in any format is an automatic ticket to weight gain for me.

On the subject of alcohol. Sure an occasional glass of wine is fine. What I struggle to understand is why anyone would want a glass.

If I drink it’s all-in. 2 bottles not one glass.

never understood folks who can have one drink. What’s the point? I’d rather have a coffee.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

My goal bmi is 18-25

How many hours a day are you sleeping? If it's not 7-8 this is basically the equivalent of trying to swim upstream.

You are fighting a losing battle already.

Stoic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agreed, walking is extremely underrated.

Especially walking in a more natural environment- woods, parks, in nature as opposed to city with buildings, lots of asphalt, etc. It's a huge mood lifter and excellent for clearing your mind.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cut carbs not fat
On the contrary. Fat is 9 calories per gram. Cut all nonessential fats first. Ditch the butter and oils. Then cut out sugar and refined carbohydrates. Healthy carbohydrates (raw fruit, legumes, and whole grains) should only be reduced after those other foods are elimated.

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
Cut carbs not fat
Listen

i had been Adding butter to practically all of my meals and i think it made me overweight over the course of about 2years i was doing that

my New Solution: i get my fats From The Protein. As I already eat eggs and beef with fat in it

that my new thing

at one point i kept Adding coconut oil to everything too. But, no more! No more Adding in fats because i get fats from walnuts, avocado, and all sorts of protein dense meats

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
Mind you
In my new diet plan
I track 4 different things for Each ingredient and I literally calculate it all up

1 carbs
2 fats
3 protein
4 calories

i want to make faster weight loss gains
Instead of losing 1/3 pound per day i want at LEAST 1/2 pound per day

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i had been Adding butter to practically all of my meals and i think it made me overweight over the course of about 2years i was doing that

at one point i kept Adding coconut oil to everything too.
Sheesh. Butter, fatty meat, eggs, and coconut oil? I’m just curious where that kind of diet template comes from.

2rings

Banned
Reaction score
Sheesh. Butter, fatty meat, eggs, and coconut oil? I’m just curious where that kind of diet template comes from.
It was a mistake i think i was reading Keto diet and never sculpted the menu properly

it was basically a high fat/ high protein diet. Recently I reduced fats so lets see how my weight changes