Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Vegetarian

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's without question great to be whole-food based, and yes I agree that high carb diets can be perfectly fine or even optimal.

However cutting out meat just seems like shooting yourself in the foot. Plus I do not remain convinced that high HDL cholesterol really matters - my distrust of the medical establishment comes in here as a bias, but you must admit they are completely clueless about diet
It’s not that controversial; the main cause of cardiovascular disease is having high Apo-B, of which is LDL is often a surrogate marker. Saturated and trans fats raise Apo-B. Replacing with unsaturated fats (nuts and fish) or healthy carbs lower Apo-B. That’s why Mr. Saladino now backtracked and eats fruit.

In my case, I may have some genetic predisposition because I wasn’t heavy on eggs, red meat, and did not eat butter at all. Still my LDL high and that is not good.

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You slaughter the meat yourself? Jesus, that’s macabre. Did you do a little dance round a fire and hold the still beating heart aloft before devouring it, and then bellowed at the moon with blood running down your chin?

serious though, you….you go to a farm and actually kill the animals? wTF?
My old man worked in the freezing works here in New Zealand. I learnt to cull and butcher animals since I can remember. I've also worked part time in a butchery when I was in my teens. I also know how to hunt, build a fire from scratch and light it without a flint, make deadfall traps and make a simple fishing rod and net ..... amongst a tonne of other survival skills.

Nothing wrong with going to your local farm and knowing exactly where your meat comes from and the health of the animal you're consuming. you sound like a woman "ewwww thats gross and disgusting do you have mental issues you psycho?"

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vegetarian is totally doable and should not be a challenge at all. The vast majority of my animal based proteins are from eggs and fat free greek yogurt. I do eat meat, I alternate a different type for dinner every day but the portions are honestly nothing at all heavy. I like ground bison, chicken thighs and salmon. I'll occasionally have a nice steak or very rarely will have a hot dog, meat lover's pizza, etc.

Vegan on the other hand is not really something I'd encourage. One, it's not at all difficult to develop some nutritional deficiencies and you will have to rely on supplements, particularly B12. Unless you are taking protein powders, your protein sources will either be very high in carbs or high in fat. It's just not a great diet to have overall and you'll struggle to make it work, not just physiologically but in regard to even just enjoying food.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vegan on the other hand is not really something I'd encourage. One, it's not at all difficult to develop some nutritional deficiencies and you will have to rely on supplements, particularly B12. Unless you are taking protein powders, your protein sources will either be very high in carbs or high in fat. It's just not a great diet to have overall and you'll struggle to make it work, not just physiologically but in regard to even just enjoying food.
Vegans not getting enough protein is a myth. All plants have protein, among a diverse spectrum of amino acids. Protein deficiency happens to people who are malnourished overall. No one eating >2,000 calories from plant-based foods will have a protein deficiency. Legumes in particular are high in protein, and either are complete sources on their own or when paired with grains (hence why half the world eats rice and beans).

The vegan vitamin deficiencies however are real. One of the reasons I still enjoy fish and fat free / low fat dairy.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vegans not getting enough protein is a myth. All plants have protein, among a diverse spectrum of amino acids. Protein deficiency happens to people who are malnourished overall. No one eating >2,000 calories from plant-based foods will have a protein deficiency. Legumes in particular are high in protein, and either are complete sources on their own or when paired with grains (hence why half the world eats rice and beans).

The vegan vitamin deficiencies however are real. One of the reasons I still enjoy fish and fat free / low fat dairy.
You missed what I was saying. When we cut out vegan protein supplements, the plant based protein sources you will have are very high in either carbohydrates or fats. Beans are a really good example, they have a lot of protein but also are very high in carbohydrates. Nuts and nut butters have a good amount of protein but are also very high in fat. To get the amount of protein you'd need, assumming you are lifting/exercising, would require you to eat a lot of total calories and many of those sources are not ideal.

Something else you should factor in is gut health. On a vegan diet it is very likely that you will be eating a lot of fiber, it may even be to the point where it's too much. Many of these foods are also difficult to digest and can give you some digestive issues. Beans are a very good example, a great food overall but not something you should be eating large quantities of.

Mineral deficiencies are a real thing though. Things like zinc are not as bioavailable in plant based foods as they are in meat, etc. Side note, there are literally no civilizations in history that were built around pure veganism....something to consider.

I feel some of the benefits of the vegan diet movement are real, though not directly related to the diet itself. One, it generally gets people off of processed foods, including low quality processed meats and dairy. It also encourages people to eat more fruits and vegetables, which is something that most westerners lack. In addition to this, people are eating more fiber, which again is something most people are not getting enough of. It's not rocket science, a diet that is higher in fiber, fruits and vegetables and removing processed foods will make one healthier and feel better. However, I do not believe that there is a reason to fully cut out animal products. Fat free greek yogurt is one of the best protein sources you can get and has very little calories. Fish, chicken and good cuts of meat provide a lot of protein and many nutrients that are limited in plant based foods, and these are in relatively small quantities as well.

I think you get the picture.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You missed what I was saying. When we cut out vegan protein supplements, the plant based protein sources you will have are very high in either carbohydrates or fats. Beans are a really good example, they have a lot of protein but also are very high in carbohydrates. Nuts and nut butters have a good amount of protein but are also very high in fat. To get the amount of protein you'd need, assumming you are lifting/exercising, would require you to eat a lot of total calories and many of those sources are not ideal.
Carbohydrates are in fact, ideal from a physiological standpoint. The recommendated daily allowance of protein is 10% of calories. Legumes and vegetables mostly fall somewhere between 15-30% of calories from protein. Hence, why you won’t actually find protein deficiency in a well nourished adult on a vegan diet.

Now, there is some debate on how much protein is needed for elite athletes. They are a separate category, and should be supplementing or just eating animal foods. The average, moderately active adult will likely be fine.

Something else you should factor in is gut health. On a vegan diet it is very likely that you will be eating a lot of fiber, it may even be to the point where it's too much. Many of these foods are also difficult to digest and can give you some digestive issues. Beans are a very good example, a great food overall but not something you should be eating large quantities of.
If water intake is sufficient, and fiber introduced gradually, I haven’t seen any literature citing an upper limit on fiber consumption. Foods that are high in fiber take long to eat and chew and are satiating. If there actually is a fiber limit, I doubt most people could put down amount of food needed to reach it.

Mineral deficiencies are a real thing though. Things like zinc are not as bioavailable in plant based foods as they are in meat, etc. Side note, there are literally no civilizations in history that were built around pure veganism....something to consider.
What was done in the past does not mean it is optimal. Life expectancy wasn’t always 75-80 years, nor did humans have all the needed vitamin supplements.

I feel some of the benefits of the vegan diet movement are real, though not directly related to the diet itself. One, it generally gets people off of processed foods, including low quality processed meats and dairy. It also encourages people to eat more fruits and vegetables, which is something that most westerners lack. In addition to this, people are eating more fiber, which again is something most people are not getting enough of. It's not rocket science, a diet that is higher in fiber, fruits and vegetables and removing processed foods will make one healthier and feel better. However, I do not believe that there is a reason to fully cut out animal products. Fat free greek yogurt is one of the best protein sources you can get and has very little calories. Fish, chicken and good cuts of meat provide a lot of protein and many nutrients that are limited in plant based foods, and these are in relatively small quantities as well.
The same is true of the Keto / low carb / carnivore crew. Eliminating processed foods and sugar is good. Increasing fruit and vegetable intake is good.

However, Keto / low carb / carnivore will probably raise your cholesterol. It’s harder (though not impossible) to maintain healthy Apo-B on those diets. I’d say that’s a big deal when the top killers in the West are heart disease and cancer.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@EyeBRollin

You should definitely trust me on this, quite a long time ago I tried to make a vegan diet work as an individual who exercised regularly and it was far more than being simply sub optimal.

This is anecdotal but I will share this evidence.

I switched over to a vegetarian diet with occasional seafood, so ate eggs and greek yogurt, and did not notice a single difference compared to when I was eating meat more regularly. However, when I went over to a pure vegan diet I noticed a change very quickly. One, I noticed that my strength dropped by quite a bit and progress was significantly slower. I also noticed that I didn't recover as well between workouts and that my body fat percentage I maintained at was slightly higher than what I cruised at prior to going on a vegan diet. I also noticed that I had a much lower sex drive, wasn't get nocturnal erections as often, etc. I also noticed that I had much more lethargy and my mental health was not good, I had much higher levels of anxiety.

When I discontinued the vegan diet and went to an omnivore diet, one that wasn't even including all that much meat, all of these changes went away. Without effort I lost that bit of extra fat, made fantastic gains in the gym and was physically much more powerful, etc. After this change I immediately recognized that a pure vegan diet is inferior. Looking back, I attribute all of this to probably having some deficiencies that would be nonexistent on an omnivore diet.

I also will add that protein from beans, rice, etc. does not have the same bioavailability as eating dairy, eggs, etc. Let's say I need over 100g of protein as an avid exerciser, do you realize the quantity of these foods you'd need to consume in order to attain this? If you have a can of beans in your house take a quick look, one serving is around 8 grams of protein......let that sink in.

The thing about digestion is that high fiber foods take much longer to digest and may cause some GI issues for certain people.

I totally agree with your comments about keto, carnivore and all of that other nonsense. Those diets are the on the opposite extreme of the diet spectrum, the take home is that extremes are not the right move. With those diets, what person in their right mind thinks eating a bowl of cherries, a sweet potato or oatmeal would be bad for you? LOL

I also agree with your comments about heart disease and cancer but with a caveat. Americans aren't at risk for these diseases by eating greek yogurt, or salmon or chicken or lean cuts of red meat or eggs, etc. They are at risk for these diseases by eating processed meats, concentrated sources of fat (butter, lard, etc.) as well as processed sugars in things like soda, table sugar, junk food cereals, etc. They also do not eat enough fiber and overall have a very low concentration of real fruits and vegetables, apple juice and iceberg lettuce on a Mcdonald's burger don't count.

My diet is mostly made up of this

- shredded wheat or oatmeal
- fresh fruit + a little dried fruit for post workout
- big salad every single day (mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, onion, avocado, etc.)
- whole potatoes, no butter or cream
- fat free greek yogurt
- nuts, especially walnuts and pecans
- salmon
- chicken
- ground bison
- eggs

Also include omega 3 fish oils and Vitamin D3

I got my cholesterol done back in November and my total was 138. Does someone need to copy my diet exactly, hell no, but that's a pretty good outline of a solid diet.

Last edited:

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My diet is mostly made up of this

- shredded wheat or oatmeal
- fresh fruit + a little dried fruit for post workout
- big salad every single day (mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, onion, avocado, etc.)
- whole potatoes, no butter or cream
- fat free greek yogurt
- nuts, especially walnuts and pecans
- salmon
- chicken
- ground bison
- eggs

Also include omega 3 fish oils and Vitamin D3

I got my cholesterol done back in November and my total was 138. Does someone need to copy my diet exactly, hell no, but that's a pretty good outline of a solid diet.
Ya, I agree with all those points. My diet before was similar to this here, minus the bison. I only had 3 eggs per week maximum. No processed food, fried food, added sugar. No red meat either except special occasions. My cholesterol was 250. Shvt genetics I guess.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ya, I agree with all those points. My diet before was similar to this here, minus the bison. I only had 3 eggs per week maximum. No processed food, fried food, added sugar. No red meat either except special occasions. My cholesterol was 250. Shvt genetics I guess.
Where you overweight? What race are you? And yes, genetics plays a huge role but I'm also very active in addition to eating like this, plus no genetic/familial link to heart disease or anything really.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
. I also know how to hunt, build a fire from scratch and light it without a flint, make deadfall traps and make a simple fishing rod and net ..... amongst a tonne of other survival skills.
i suppose that’s a cool hobby, but I don’t have much need for those skills.

Nothing wrong with going to your local farm and knowing exactly where your meat comes from and the health of the animal you're consuming. you sound like a woman "ewwww thats gross and disgusting do you have mental issues you psycho?"
What does that have to do with actually physically killing the animal?

Dude, do you really think you’re levitating on some plane and have some kind of monopoly on masculinity because you can kill an animal?

you think I couldn’t? Neolithic cavemen could kill animals, it’s no achievement and we’ve evolved a couple of hundred thousand years since then.

Selecting an animal is fair enough. If you’re concerned the animal is healthy. I’m happy enough to delegate that to someone else. I’m pretty confident if you buy grass fed the beef is good.

why you would want to actually kill it personally is just a bit weird when there’s a professional who can do it for you. If you think tying up a cow and slitting it’s throat is some kind of achievement or something which is supposed to be pleasant for most healthy people I have a big shock.

I can’t imagine going to a farm to buy beef and the farmer handing me a knife and saying “ would you like to kill it?” And saying “why, yes please”

You haven’t answered why you’d actually want to kill the animal.

i think I can answer: “I am insecure about masculinity and I think it’s something to do with hunting and being able to survive in the wild. I feel if I can kill an animal with my bare hands, it makes me more of a man”

Anyone can kill a restrained animal. This is hillbilly logic. Sorry.

i have the same view generally on hunting or fishing. If you NEED to, to survive - sure. Nobody does in this day and age.

I have no idea why for fun, someone would choose finding animals in the wolf minding their own business and then gratuitously shooting them a form of entertainment.

you see a beautiful deer in your sights in a woodland glade with its mother, foraging on a sunlit day. For your own personal enjoyment, you shoot it in the head or absomen with its mother right next to it, while it lies bleeding out and convulsing you feel a sense of pride and accomplishment.

These things should be done with a heavy heart, for survival, not a a fkin party trick or to post on Facebook.It’s a dirty business, the bad end of nature not something to do with earnest endeavour or even worse, to feel a false pride in manhood.

animals feel pain too. While killing them is necessary to want to put yourself into that role is just a form of sadism. It’s not the act itself but to enjoy it and seek it out - deeply troubling.

Last edited:

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Where you overweight? What race are you? And yes, genetics plays a huge role but I'm also very active in addition to eating like this, plus no genetic/familial link to heart disease or anything really.
Black. Not overweight. BF % is 10-12, has been for the last 15 years. My cholesterol has always been kind of high. Triglycerides and fasting glucose are low though. Go figure

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i suppose that’s a cool hobby, but I don’t have much need for those skills.

What does that have to do with actually physically killing the animal?

Dude, do you really think you’re levitating on some plane and have some kind of monopoly on masculinity because you can kill an animal?

you think I couldn’t? Neolithic cavemen could kill animals, it’s no achievement and we’ve evolved a couple of hundred thousand years since then.

Selecting an animal is fair enough. If you’re concerned the animal is healthy. I’m happy enough to delegate that to someone else. I’m pretty confident if you buy grass fed the beef is good.

why you would want to actually kill it personally is just a bit weird when there’s a professional who can do it for you. If you think tying up a cow and slitting it’s throat is some kind of achievement or something which is supposed to be pleasant for most healthy people I have a big shock.

I can’t imagine going to a farm to buy beef and the farmer handing me a knife and saying “ would you like to kill it?” And saying “why, yes please”

You haven’t answered why you’d actually want to kill the animal.

i think I can answer: “I am insecure about masculinity and I think it’s something to do with hunting and being able to survive in the wild. I feel if I can kill an animal with my bare hands, it makes me more of a man”

Anyone can kill a restrained animal. This is hillbilly logic. Sorry.

i have the same view generally on hunting or fishing. If you NEED to, to survive - sure. Nobody does in this day and age.

I have no idea why for fun, someone would choose finding animals in the wolf minding their own business and then gratuitously shooting them a form of entertainment.

you see a beautiful deer in your sights in a woodland glade with its mother, foraging on a sunlit day. For your own personal enjoyment, you shoot it in the head or absomen with its mother right next to it, while it lies bleeding out and convulsing you feel a sense of pride and accomplishment.

These things should be done with a heavy heart, for survival, not a a fkin party trick or to post on Facebook.It’s a dirty business, the bad end of nature not something to do with earnest endeavour or even worse, to feel a false pride in manhood.

animals feel pain too. While killing them is necessary to want to put yourself into that role is just a form of sadism. It’s not the act itself but to enjoy it and seek it out - deeply troubling.
Ah ha you're one of "those" people. Also I am qualified to be a butcher, I learnt as a teenager. Also when did I ever say I enjoyed killing as a hobby or sport ? It's a life skill that I have. You're reaching there man.

If I wasn't running my own business in sailing I would easily get a job or even own my own chain of butcheries ..... You've given me a brilliant business idea.

In terms of why I go to my local farm that has an abattoir there is so I can utilise the entire animal and none of it goes to waste and I can get the best quality meat without compromise. It also makes for a relaxing drive for the day and my dogs love the fresh air. If not for my own consumption then it gets dried into chewing treats for my dogs. You seem to have a very skewed view of the world and you went on a stupid rant about masculinity and projected your own ego into the conversation.

Last edited:

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A very large percentage of Indian people are vegan or vegetarian.
There is speculation that their health and longevity is actually due to their heavy use of herbs and spices, especially turmeric.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
There is speculation that their health and longevity is actually due to their heavy use of herbs and spices, especially turmeric.
Not surprising...spices are some of the most anti-inflammatory foods out there. As they use them nearly everyday in the foods they cook, they are getting a constant supply of anti-inflammatory goodness...

What is interesting however is part of the reason they use such strong flavors and amounts of spices was to help hide the taste of spoiled meat, which doesn't last very long in a country that is as hot as it is year round.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Regarding turmeric, from what I read, the preponderance of the health benefits likely come from the long and slow cooking of Indian food. Taking turmeric as a supplement unfortunately isn't the same. The traditional cooking style is key.

Also about Indians who are vegetarian mostly due to economics, it was discovered that they unknowingly get their b12 from insect feces on their greens and vegetables. That's why a billion people can seemingly exist without a required nutrient.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ah ha you're one of "those" people. Also I am qualified to be a butcher, I learnt as a teenager. Also when did I ever say I enjoyed killing as a hobby or sport ? It's a life skill that I have. You're reaching there man.

If I wasn't running my own business in sailing I would easily get a job or even own my own chain of butcheries ..... You've given me a brilliant business idea.

In terms of why I go to my local farm that has an abattoir there is so I can utilise the entire animal and none of it goes to waste and I can get the best quality meat without compromise. It also makes for a relaxing drive for the day and my dogs love the fresh air. If not for my own consumption then it gets dried into chewing treats for my dogs. You seem to have a very skewed view of the world and you went on a stupid rant about masculinity and projected your own ego into the conversation.
we are talking about killing an animal personally, not going to an abittior. Have you misunderstood?

sorry for my ego. Thanks for telling me about how you can hunt, make a fire without flint, your ability to trap, your skills for fishing without conventional fishing apparatus, your ability to sleep wild and finally, your sailing business. In a discussion about meat.

what did you say about projecting?

Deranged

Don Juan
Reaction score
A very large percentage of Indian people are vegan or vegetarian.
This is the outcome of British colonization though. Their pre-British colonization dietary tendencies contained a lot of meat. Yes the cuisine was influenced by Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, French and the Danes, but not to the extent of the Brits who basically convened them to vegetarianism. Look at their modern vegan powered physical pot belly dad bod prowess now (or lack thereof). They used to look like warriors pre 1600's.

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vegetarian is totally doable and should not be a challenge at all. The vast majority of my animal based proteins are from eggs and fat free greek yogurt. I do eat meat, I alternate a different type for dinner every day but the portions are honestly nothing at all heavy. I like ground bison, chicken thighs and salmon. I'll occasionally have a nice steak or very rarely will have a hot dog, meat lover's pizza, etc.

Interesting. I recently heard that all plants and vegetables contain poison as a defense mechanism against bugs and insects. It's driving me crazy sometimes , to learn that almost everything is bad for us.

My old man worked in the freezing works here in New Zealand. I learnt to cull and butcher animals since I can remember. I've also worked part time in a butchery when I was in my teens. I also know how to hunt, build a fire from scratch and light it without a flint, make deadfall traps and make a simple fishing rod and net ..... amongst a tonne of other survival skills.

My homie is Arab, and his father always buys a whole sheep , gets a place in a corner somewhere and a butcher knife and goes to town with it. As with everything, knowledge might save you a lotta money. Iirc he even picks a living sheep so he can give it the "halal procedure".

Still a interesting discussion. Your skills are ironically frowned upon, but imo these are basis human skills. It's a shame we as men don't learn it as young boys already. . People can't watch a animal getting butchered but they'll LOVE a big mac or some Kentucky fried crap.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is the outcome of British colonization though. Their pre-British colonization dietary tendencies contained a lot of meat. Yes the cuisine was influenced by Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, French and the Danes, but not to the extent of the Brits who basically convened them to vegetarianism. Look at their modern vegan powered physical pot belly dad bod prowess now (or lack thereof). They used to look like warriors pre 1600's.
i didn’t know we had pictures of them in the 1600s.

I reckon this is just anti British nonsense. The world can’t keep blaming us for giving them nearly every modern invention.