Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

The "Metrosexual"...effeminate men now have a name. LOL

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I read this thread completely through twice and the whole time people were talking about metrosexuals getting facials, I thought it was the "other" kind of facial. :p

I went to a Joe Lewis seminar a few months ago. He was one of the greatest kickboxers in the 70s and an original student of Bruce Lee. He is the perfect example of manliness. He has the kind of confidence that you can only get from being the World Champion full contact fighter for years, and be in perfect physical condition in his 60s. The seminar was in some Karate for Christ thing and this guy had the nuts to crack jokes about jesus freaks. He said he used facial stuff and did his best to keep his body in the best condition possible because you only have one.

Most people confuse me for a metrosexual, I think. I have a super handsome face(could be twins with Prince William) and its a curse. I can't walk anywhere without some chick calling me hot or some dude calling me gay. In the last few days I've honestly considered suicide. This is a whiny post, but I need to vent.

I took the advice on this forum of getting a woman's opinion on clothes. I went to my mom, and she started buying my clothes. Bad idea. She dresses me in nice collared shirts and it makes me look too nice. I purposely try and dress down in T-shirts and jeans.

I can pull chicks pretty easy now that I can talk to them, but I am continously under attack from other guys my own age and younger.

None of this was revelant to the post, BUT...I definitely agree that its better to be manly. Beauty is not a good thing in a male.

Blaaaaat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So you honestly considered suicide becuase girls call you hot and guys think you are gay?

sick..

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I consider suicide because I feel completely alone no matter where I am, and I see my situation as hopeless.

Grabbing my balls and going for it just doesn't work.

Mr. Latte

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IF YOU SLEEP WITH MEN, OR HAVE ANY DESIRE TO DO SO, YOU ARE GAY.

IF YOU DO NOT SLEEP WITH MEN, AND DO NOT HAVE ANY DESIRE TO DO SO, YOU ARE NOT GAY. END OF STORY.

John Juan

Don Juan
Reaction score
your mom shouldn't be helping you buy clothes dude. find a fashionable girl you find hot that you're friends with. she'll hook you up right.
-jlc

Mr. Latte

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't let ANYONE buy clothes for you, especially not some girl you find hot. When she tells you that you look good in something, chances are that you're gonna go along with it, even if you don't like it. Buy what you like, and what you think looks good on you.

Bud Wiser

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Celadus
I consider suicide because I feel completely alone no matter where I am, and I see my situation as hopeless.

Grabbing my balls and going for it just doesn't work.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Dude -- suicide? Anyone who even utters that word about himself I take seriously.

Do yourself, your family and friends a favor -- a big favor -- get help, now. Right NOW.

Nothing is worth suicide. Nothing.

honeyshark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Back to the idea of the metrosexual,
If seems this "breed" of man has been created to fulfill the consumerist ideal needed by companies in order to sell their products.
Not that I believe in giant conspiracy theories, but think about what a metrosexual is. The article in question mentions the metrosexual as a Rennaissance man yet goes on to describe such a person as getting manicures, facials, wearing make-up, utilizing the talents of a hair-stylist, "and his bathroom counter is most likely filled with male-targeted grooming products, including moisturizers (and perhaps even a little makeup)." So what do all of these facets have in common?

You can buy them. Although the article mentions the metrosexual as 'well educated" and a "Rennaissance man", nothing written in the article really expands on the idea of intelligence. Basically, the metrosexual buys beauty products, and that defines who he is. He buys make-up and suits and expensive shampoo. He is defined by his material possessions.

"They might be influenced by a new breed of male-oriented magazines such as FHM and Maxim, which are devoting an increasing number of their pages to fashion."
Magazines do not make most of their money from selling subscriptions. Rather, the cash rolls in through advertising. These advertisers are trying to expand the beauty product market from women to include both sexes so they can make more money. Do you know how much shiet the average girl owns in terms of make-up, conditioners, facial creams, and the like. This stuff gets expensive. Companies would love if it was socially imperative that men also bought a bunch of worthless accessories.

One of the telltale signs of metrosexuals is their willingness to indulge themselves, whether by springing for a Prada suit or spending a couple of hours at a spa to get a massage and facial
Getting customers to buy things they do not need on impulsive whims to reward oneself is a common advertising technique. It encourages impulsive buying and consumerism, which is something companies want to better sell their products.

Thus, in my opinion, the ideal of the metrosexual has been influenced by companies who want to sell products.

Peace.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr. Latte
Badass Canadian, it all depends on where you live, and in what culture you were raised. I'm from Miami. Here, it's almost expected. Where you're from, I'm sure it's different. In Latin cultures, the manliest of men are the long haired Fabio types.
Interestingly, the "macho" men in Latin cultures also have sex with men and transexuals, but no one in those countries ever questions their sexuality. Just throwing that out there.

Kwirk

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you nailed it honeyshark. That's my biggest problem with the whole thing, not people saying metros "are teh gay" or the effeminization of males or any bull like that. It's definately the result of media pressure. If anyone thinks otherwise, you're fooling yourself. So go ahead and waste your money on all that crap, you can be Madison Ave.'s b!tch just like women have been for the last 50 years.

dj-apprentice

Don Juan
Reaction score
I simply don't understand why it's such a big deal.

It's all about how confident you are in your own sexuality.

Besides, when did pampering yourself or improving your appearance become 'effiminate'?

Are you more of a man if you smell bad? Are you more of a man if you take 4 showers a week instead of 7? Are you more of a man if you don't put wax or gel in your hair?

That's ridiculous.

Being a man is about who you are on the INSIDE -- your emotional and mental strength and your self-confidence -- NOT what you look like on the outside.

There is NOTHING wrong or effiminate about improving your appearance AS LONG AS you do not try to replace developing the REAL qualities of manhood -- strength and confidence -- with a day at the salon.

dj-apprentice

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Celadus
I can't walk anywhere without some chick calling me hot or some dude calling me gay.
I'm cracking up here. I've had guys call me gay before, but it's not because of the way I acted, it's because I like to dress up (and I have somewhat of a reputation for being a very classy dresser). It's also because for every guy that has called my 'gay', there's been a woman who has called me other, much more favorable things. It comes with the territory.

I do remember this funny story though ... my friend called me and asked me to come hang out with her in another city that night. Well, I go meet up with her, and she has this guy friend with her. So we go eat, I end up sitting with this guy, and I could tell that he was a little on the gay side. (NOT because of the way he dressed or how much wax he had in his hair, but because of his speech, his body language, and his demeanor.)

Anyway, after that we're all just laughing and screwing around and we go to some park. Stacey later tells me that this park is infamous, as it's one of the state's premier meeting places for gays. Great. So it's like midnight, pitch dark, and I have to use the restroom. Well, I don't know where it is. Stacey had gotten a call and wandered off somewhere, so Versace here offers to lead me to the restroom. So he does, and I make sure he's long gone before I do much of anything. :)

I'm talking to Stacey the next day and she tells me, "My friend is gay, you know. I showed him your picture and he said, 'He definitely looks like he's gay. He's hot!'"

So, I proceeded to chew her out for taking me to a recognized gay hangout at midnight with a flaming homosexual who was interested in more than my conversation. We had a great laugh, though. I've never seen the guy since, and I don't plan to. :)

Before anyone jumps on this (no pun intended) ... I've never had problems attracting women -- ie., women don't think I'm gay. They can just tell by the way I act. I promise. :)

Last edited:

John Juan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr. Latte
Don't let ANYONE buy clothes for you, especially not some girl you find hot. When she tells you that you look good in something, chances are that you're gonna go along with it, even if you don't like it. Buy what you like, and what you think looks good on you.
Hey Latte, if she was actually BUYING CLOTHES FOR ME, I wouldn't complain. If I didn't like them I could always return them for something better. But, if I was buying myself clothes, and wanted some helpful input, it would be a lot better to ask a fashionable girl friend of mine then to ask one of my pool shooting buddies or mother to go along shopping with me.

HBs know what other HBs think guys look good in. A lot of them have read up on all the latest fashion sh1t. Like I've got time for that, tell me do you? I'm too busy playing music and DJing. BTW Latte I get HB compliments on my threads since I started shopping this way so I know it works.

-jlc

The N.O.S

Don Juan
Reaction score
... guys, you are thinking way too much...

what effeminate, what gay stuff?? Do you know, that at earlier ages (much earlier) MENs tend to wear make-up!! Yes, you heard it right, women with make-up at that times was like man with make-up today.
It's just rules, conditioning from childhood, like "That is girlish, and that is boyish", that is most important. Society created those rules by himself, so there is no BAD or GOOD, there isn't any rules, it's just how you perceive things in your head. There can't be such a thing, that, if a man does manicure, he's gayish. Thats absurd! I personally do all that: working out like mad (because i love it, and i'm not ashamed to say that, but my body is HOT as hell, girls say this all the time, and i like this too) i light my hair when i want, i go to the solarium, sometimes i get manicure... and so on, and so on. And i DON't give a flying F*CK, what others think about me! it's my opinion about myself, that counts... And if you are affraid to get a manicure, because it sounds gay, then you are in the phucking society rules box, like majority of people. I think, this site is created to get out of that box.

The only rules, is those, which is in your head.