Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Tennessee passes law requiring drunk drivers to pay child support if they kill a parent of a minor

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
The Ethan, Hailey and Bently's Law went into effect yesterday and requires a person convicted of vehicular homicide or aggravated vehicular homicide due to intoxication to pay child support if the victim is the parent of a minor through their 18th birthday and high school graduation.

About time these idiots faced serious repurcussions for their actions. There is no valid reason to ever drink and drive with the number of ways to get home these days. I hope more states enact similar laws.

The only question I have is how this person would pay while in prison? I am assuming they will be in jail if convicted for quite some time.

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For once; this is really good news. You don't hear much often of that.

I think too its a good idea and a fair law. not that it will make much change to the idiots that do DUI, but it will for those that will suffer from the consequences of their retarded actions.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's political bs that doesn't do anything except make politicians look like less of a waste of good air. I would guess that the state will never collect very much money from these people. What they will do is just put them back in jail when they can't pay, and that costs the taxpayers.

Any time you root for more people being in jail...stop and think. You're probably a victim of police state propaganda.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Does that derail the possibility of a civil Wrongful Death judgement? It could just be a way of reducing court cases. In any case perhaps it could be a deterrent, but seldom do people think of consequences when they over indulge and get behind the wheel.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slippery slope here. We all know they're pushing self-driving cars, and just yesterday our good friends at the WEF told us we should eliminate private car ownership for our own good

This is standard m.o. - have something that on the surface looks good and is used to screw the public. Look for other states to follow suit.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Plenty of baby daddys not paying child support for their kids, doubt this will work.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Ethan, Hailey and Bently's Law went into effect yesterday and requires a person convicted of vehicular homicide or aggravated vehicular homicide due to intoxication to pay child support if the victim is the parent of a minor through their 18th birthday and high school graduation.

About time these idiots faced serious repurcussions for their actions. There is no valid reason to ever drink and drive with the number of ways to get home these days. I hope more states enact similar laws.

The only question I have is how this person would pay while in prison? I am assuming they will be in jail if convicted for quite some time.
This is an unneeded law since bankruptcy cannot discharge debts caused by a drunk-driver accident, and the injured party could sue for the damages that the state is mandating; that said, I would imagine that the law makes it easier to implement the "payment extraction".

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slippery slope here. We all know they're pushing self-driving cars, and just yesterday our good friends at the WEF told us we should eliminate private car ownership for our own good

This is standard m.o. - have something that on the surface looks good and is used to screw the public. Look for other states to follow suit.
You're saying driverless cars and an end to drunk-driving is a bad thing? :eek:

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The state would in essence lend the perp money to pay the child support, and then force him to pay it back once he got out. He'll be coerced to work even harder than while in prison.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seems like political grandstanding and government overreach. I agree on principle drunk drivers should be punished, but this just is a suboptimal way about going about it.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is another one of those things that sound like a great idea until you switch on your brain and actually try to think about it. If one is convicted of drunk driving /causing death, he or she would almost automatically get a lengthy prison term. How is one supposed to earn money to pay child support while sitting behind bars? Ex cons also have a hard time integrating back into society and often rely on illicit sources of income (which are obviously not going to be reported for child support purposes). So again, where is the money for child support going to come from?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
This is another one of those things that sound like a great idea until you switch on your brain and actually try to think about it. If one is convicted of drunk driving /causing death, he or she would almost automatically get a lengthy prison term. How is one supposed to earn money to pay child support while sitting behind bars? Ex cons also have a hard time integrating back into society and often rely on illicit sources of income (which are obviously not going to be reported for child support purposes). So again, where is the money for child support going to come from?
Perhaps from their money they already have?