Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Take a break from golf or quit?

andy87

Don Juan
Reaction score
Even folks, I'm looking for some advice regarding having the worst spell of golf I've played in years, I've been playing for 22 years since I was 10 years old, last year I managed to get my handicap to +1 this year is started at scratch and now my handicap is up to 2, the standard of golf I have been playing this year is dreadful struggling to beat 7 or 8 over par, this is having a huge effect on my relationship with my gf as I'm coming home in a mood and can't shake it, I can't adapt from being a good golfer to a hacker in the space of 8 weeks I've tried everything but nothing is working, I'm not enjoying it anymore feels like a grind than enjoying it, has anyone been in this situation and quit the sport they love cold turkey as Its hurting to much and as I said having an effect on my relationship.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You gotta wash your balls

Last edited:

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Are you being paid money to play golf? If not, it's just a hobby and it shouldn't be of that much importance on your life, IMO.

Everyone goes through rough patches and as you get older your skills will naturally start to decline. Perhaps that's the reason. Father Time is undefeated, even for relatively unathletic games like golf.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Rest your mind to refresh your game. Some time off will do wonders for your competitive mental attitude and game enjoyment …
Distance greatly improves perspective.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
2011 I was playing to a 2 handicap. Had a very bad golf trip... lost my game.... literally ruined the entire trip. I did not recover from that trip and breakdown until 2017. From 2011 until 2017 I played to a 13-16 handicap and began to hate golf.

one day I went out on a beautiful evening and didn’t keep score. I wasn’t playing with anyone... it felt like I was in heaven. Next thing I know my ball striking was improving and I had the mental clarity to dissect what was going wrong with my swing and game.

I wouldn’t take a break from golf I would take a break from the unreal expectations your putting on yourself. Pro golfers are plus 5 and much better.... they often shoot in the 80’s.... and they are pro’s... that have the best coaches, play the best courses, have custom equipment we can’t touch, have the best head coaches.,.. so you need to just get back to enjoying whatever you used to with the game. The more at peace I am... the better I play and right now your heading down the path I went in 2011.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any Hobby you excel at will have this happen. You hit a certain level and then drop off in performance. "The shanks", "target panic", "exhaustion syndrome" all happen when you are at the top of your game and start thinking about it too much. you need to find new ways to train because your body and mind are adapted to your routine and expectations. You have to change it up so you are trying to do something you haven't excelled at yet. Add strength training to your endurance, change up your target training, do different drills.

Good point above about not keeping score for a while. Focus on feel of the shot. Find the joy in the execution that you had when you were a raw beginner...

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Any Hobby you excel at will have this happen. You hit a certain level and then drop off in performance. "The shanks", "target panic", "exhaustion syndrome" all happen when you are at the top of your game and start thinking about it too much. you need to find new ways to train because your body and mind are adapted to your routine and expectations. You have to change it up so you are trying to do something you haven't excelled at yet. Add strength training to your endurance, change up your target training, do different drills.

Good point above about not keeping score for a while. Focus on feel of the shot. Find the joy in the execution that you had when you were a raw beginner...
Or you simply get older and start losing ability just like any athlete does, even tho golf is not on that level of athletic ness...you still have reduction in some facets that would translate over.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It could help to take a break from the sport, and you might be surprised to find that your game is better after taking a short break.

Also, you're going to plateau for a while before you make a major breakthru, but if you keep at it you'll eventually break thru. There are no shortcuts to mastery.