Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Stress and jobs

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So guys I had to restart my life a couple years ago ( I am 34). I changed career paths. I quit my job a few months ago and went back on the job hunt. I managed to get a series of jobs. I quit all but 2 of them out of 6. I have a job as an EMT- Basic that I love but doesn't pay much ( pays okay for me). I also have a job in a lab that pays ok but it is super stressful. Is it normal for most jobs to be overly stressful and should I feel guilty for quitting most of them? Would you guys agree with the following observations about the job market?

1.) Most jobs are stressful. There is no correlation between stress and prestige of the job. Fast food can be just as stressful as investment banking.

2.) Micromanagement is the cause of most stress. Having a boss breathing down your back is horrible. Even if the boss has the best intentions it still gets old being told what to do all the time.

The only job I like is private EMS and I can move up and get my medic in a year. I like EMS because of the autonomy. Its just you and your partner in the ambo. No boss.

I have a couple degrees and I feel guilty for doing something "simple". The truth is that I suck at most jobs. I even suck at fast food jobs. I am only good at a very small amount of jobs ( is this normal?) Parents are shaming me as usual. They say simple jobs are not prestigious. I think that simplicity is happiness even if the pay isn't extraordinary. Help me out y'all.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
So guys I had to restart my life a couple years ago ( I am 34). I changed career paths. I quit my job a few months ago and went back on the job hunt. I managed to get a series of jobs. I quit all but 2 of them out of 6. I have a job as an EMT- Basic that I love but doesn't pay much ( pays okay for me). I also have a job in a lab that pays ok but it is super stressful. Is it normal for most jobs to be overly stressful and should I feel guilty for quitting most of them? Would you guys agree with the following observations about the job market?

1.) Most jobs are stressful. There is no correlation between stress and prestige of the job. Fast food can be just as stressful as investment banking.

2.) Micromanagement is the cause of most stress. Having a boss breathing down your back is horrible. Even if the boss has the best intentions it still gets old being told what to do all the time.

The only job I like is private EMS and I can move up and get my medic in a year. I like EMS because of the autonomy. Its just you and your partner in the ambo. No boss.

I have a couple degrees and I feel guilty for doing something "simple". The truth is that I suck at most jobs. I even suck at fast food jobs. I am only good at a very small amount of jobs ( is this normal?) Parents are shaming me as usual. They say simple jobs are not prestigious. I think that simplicity is happiness even if the pay isn't extraordinary. Help me out y'all.
Become an entrepreneur. Start a franchise. Think outside the box if you want to leave the rat race.

U

user43770

Most jobs suck for one reason or another.

Working on an ambulance was exciting at times, but could be stressful due to long/odd hours and dealing with lousy Medicaid abusers. EMTs definitely have social status, though. Saving lives is pretty cool. And a lot of chicks dig a man in uniform.

A co-worker and I had an idea to start our own non-emergency transport service, basically shuttling old people to doctors appointments and the like, but we both eventually got out of the field.

Billtx49

Reaction score

Find an occupation you can mentally and somewhat emotionally invest in that gives you the personal challenge to be the best you can be in that field. Not everyone finds that at first…
Personal challenges come with a certain amount of stress, but don’t settle for employment that produces daily boredom and excess stress…

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most jobs suck for one reason or another.

Working on an ambulance was exciting at times, but could be stressful due to long/odd hours and dealing with lousy Medicaid abusers. EMTs definitely have social status, though. Saving lives is pretty cool. And a lot of chicks dig a man in uniform.

A co-worker and I had an idea to start our own non-emergency transport service, basically shuttling old people to doctors appointments and the like, but we both eventually got out of the field.
Its cool that you were also in the field. I like it because there is no boss on your back micromanaging you. If you and your partner get along then its gonna be a chill day. Its weird that EMS is in the limbo between blue collar and white collar work.

Bro I work at a lab that is supposedly a "status" job but it is crazy stressful and boss on my azz. I daydream about my part time EMS transport gig. So I might just go full-time on that. I feel like prestige is a trap. Thanks for the response man.

Reactions: BMX

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One major advg. you have is your age. You may not believe it but 34 is young. You don't have to rush into anything and you may contine to revolve companies/jobs which I think is absolutely fine. Diversity is a splendid way to develop your skills. You get to work for different types of leaders and this will help to better sharpen your knowledge and skill.

I am 100% OK with being micromanaged. I invite you to see that as an opportunity not a negative thing at all in my opinion. Allow them to test you.

Be willing to do whatever you're asked, and try to do it better than asked.

You gotta humble yourself and earn your stripes. Doesn't matter how old or young or how many degrees. Great challenges bring out great qualities, and the willingness to succeed is a great quality, and it is 100% choice. Success takes time. The best opportunities rarely happen overnight. Took me 3 years at my current company to start making a solid consistent income but I've been in the same industry for 10 years. Didn't make much money for the majority of those years.
Thanks for the reply bro. I am micromanaged by a female in her late 20's. She takes out her stress on the team. To be fair she is under a lot of stress herself and in normal situations she would be pleasant. Its an inherently stressful environment.
You are right though I do have to earn my stripes but I cant do the young female boss thing. I have to have autonomy like I do in ems. Were most of your bosses male Espi?

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are ways to minimize stress, and it depends on what type of person you are. I don't mind rigid hours and micromanagement, that makes it easier to make decisions and keep things moving IMO. I rarely get behind. I would rather be part of a slow-moving machine than free-flowing up-and-down 'flexibility' or whatever. I'm known to procrastinate and I really don't like working with others. Giving me more autonomy would not work out unless I owned my own company and I was super interested in what I was doing.

U

user43770

It all boils down to knowing yourself. Several years ago, I decided to make a list of what I was looking for in a career. I had worked at many different types of jobs over the years, so I had a pretty good idea. On one side, I listed all of the things I was looking for; on the other, I listed all of the things I absolutely wanted to avoid. Having a clear direction really helped me to end up in a better place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes...know thyself is one of the most sacred quotes ever. I know that I like low stress routine jobs with people interaction. I need to stick to that. Whats gets me in trouble is when I feel that I need to change myself to fit into what others expect from me. Family thinks I need a high stress high prestige, high income job. But I can do fine living on 50K a year and low stress. This is when I am my happiest.

U

user43770

Just like you, it was difficult for me to overcome social pressure, but I was fortunate enough to find Harry Browne around the time I was going through my life change. His book Finding Freedom in an Unfree World really opened my eyes to a lot of things. It honestly changed my life, because suddenly I was more focused on what actually makes me happy, rather than what I had been programmed to believe would make me happy.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
let the money do the talkin

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Employment is glorified enslavement.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
lol sometimes following the money just puts you in bigger chains. For example, you can be in a well paying job with a toxic boss.

Thatsbthe difference between alphas an betas. I dont have a boss. Like who the f even calls someone their boss. I have a contracted employer whoever that maybe. Sure as fuk isnt my boss. And u can have a piece of **** employer or manager at any stage of the game. Wether u making 10k a yr or 100k

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thatsbthe difference between alphas an betas. I dont have a boss. Like who the f even calls someone their boss. I have a contracted employer whoever that maybe. Sure as fuk isnt my boss. And u can have a piece of **** employer or manager at any stage of the game. Wether u making 10k a yr or 100k
You make decent points here about the boss, but there is something to trying to find something that suits your skills and temperament.

graves992

Don Juan
Reaction score
Even a job you love can be stressful and irritating. I try to maintain a balance between work and life, but I don't always succeed. At least now I don't take work on weekends. Don't forget about yourself, you need a rest.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
haha wow. So the lesson here is do what YOU feel is good for YOU. Because its damn if you do and damn if you dont.
Any updates? I think biz is the route forward for men. At the least a side hustle that pays well and is minimal amount of time.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
My job is pretty non-stressful...I get to work all day and write code as a senior software engineer which is basically like having fun for me and something I would do for free if I didn't get paid a crapload of money for it.

Work from home, very flexible hours, pretty much work 35 hours most weeks(sometimes less), boss loves me because I get sh!t done and usually get it done right the first time more often than not which saves rewriting code in the future. Literally probably only talk directly to my boss like once every 2-3 months since he is in charge of multiple teams and usually busy in meetings.

Only time the job is stressful is if we have a big deadline to hit which is very rare or have production issues that we need to fix ASAP which usually doesn't fall on me. Deployments at 5am can suck but then I am done by noon and those are only like once a month or every couple months since they rotate among people.

My advice...find something you love doing, that you'd do for free and that pays well and you'll never really work a day in your life. I look forward to coming back from vacations so I can get back to coding. It's my purpose in life. I was born to write code

Last edited:

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My job is pretty non-stressful...I get to work all day and write code as a senior software engineer which is basically like having fun for me and something I would do for free if I didn't get paid a crapload of money for it.

Work from home, very flexible hours, pretty much work 35 hours most weeks(sometimes less), boss loves me because I get sh!t done and usually get it done right the first time more often than not which saves rewriting code in the future. Literally probably only talk directly to my boss like once every 2-3 months since he is in charge of multiple teams and usually busy in meetings.

Only time the job is stressful is if we have a big deadline to hit which is very rare or have production issues that we need to fix ASAP which usually doesn't fall on me. Deployments at 5am can suck but then I am done by noon and those are only like once a month or every couple months since they rotate among people.

My advice...find something you love doing, that you'd do for free and that pays well and you'll never really work a day in your life. I look forward to coming back from vacations so I can get back to coding. It's my purpose in life. I was born to write code
Damn you are one fortunate dude. Good for you brotha. I think high level code writing is a talent. Either you have it or you dont.