Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Spesmilitis's workout journal

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
Well, all sets before the heavy set are just preparations for the heavy set, no? I don't want to do multiple reps as I get closer to my heavyest set because it may fatigue me too much and affect my main set.

I was aiming for 5 reps but I couldn't get it.

Yeah, fatigue is the reason for the drop in pull up weight. I'll try waiting longer.

I'm not sure if the BOR and pullup hit the same muscles, theres a huge different my BOR and pull up strength.
Well if its 2x5, 3x5 or whatever like you see in the Idiot's guide or Efforts "Where to Start", then the to or three sets are all heavy. If you look at my log you will see what I did on Saturday.

I did something like 6-8 warm up sets then three sets of three:

1x3 at 285lbs
1x3 at 302.5lbs
1x3 at 314lbs

Warboss told me this is how you get strongest, fastest. I can't think of why at the moment. It makes sense though. Because I did the first two sets, I knew I'd be able to get the last set and PR, whilst staying away from failure. Just because you go heavy doesn't mean you will turn to jelly you know! If 302.5 had been heavy I would have known to keep the weight the same, or only go up to 308lbs or whatever.

So you should be doing three sets of 5 or whatever and build up to a topset. I think the whole point of multiple sets is too break down more fibres or something. Its when you start doing things excessively that you overtrain. Because you hadn't done 5 reps in any of your previous sets, you couldn't tell that 330 would be as difficult as it proved to be. I remember when Warboss first told me to do this I was a little bit put off by the idea, but hey it works. There are probably other ways of doing it, but for a 3x5 on your main exercise the above is what you should be aiming to do.

BOR and pullup hit a lot of the same muscles. Remember they are different lifts so comparison is difficult in terms of strength. If Warboss recommends it, it's probably a good idea as well. You don't want to do too many exercises for the same muscles.

Quagmire

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heavy tripples eh? *strokes chin*

I may consider that. Failing to do 330x5 is the first time in a while where I failed a PR goal. If this is gonna happen more, I'll switch to the heavy triple. How do you determine the weight increment?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
Heavy tripples eh? *strokes chin*

I may consider that. Failing to do 330x5 is the first time in a while where I failed a PR goal. If this is gonna happen more, I'll switch to the heavy triple. How do you determine the weight increment?
By that do you mean how much weight do you use for 3 reps, instead of 5?
If so, I didn't really bother with percentages or anything. First time I dropped down to 3 from 5 I just slapped an extra 10lbs on the bar from my last workout.

Also, if you have been doing 5reps for months on end now, it could help to alter it slightly. 3x3 could keep things moving.

And lets see what you have decided for your routine in full! Both day's with sets and reps in the one post. Get this posted before your next workout so you can get straight into it. In case of BOR and pull up, if you have decided to alternate it weekly just put BOR/PULLUPS 2x8 (alternate weekly) or something along those lines.

Quagmire

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Day 1:
Squat 4 warm ups sets and 2x5-7
Bench 3 warm up sets 1x5-7
Core good mornings 2x10
Shoulders 2 warm sets 1x5-7
Abs 3 warm up sets 2 sets of 10-20 reps

Day 2:
Deadlift 3 warm up sets 1x3, 1x2, 1x5 (I know what you said, but this worked for me for a while. I'll do the 3x3 if I still)
elevated deadlifts 2x5 (does this count as my core work out?)
Pullup 2 warm up sets 1x10
Row 1 warm up set 3x5
Biceps 1 warm up set, 2x12
Grip 2 sets each hand
Abs 3 warm up sets 2 sets of 10-20 reps

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a couple of things I'd change. Maybe Alex will lend his thoughts as well but here are mine:

Changes are made, excluding warm up sets.

Day 1:
Squat 2x5-Read the post above. You are better sticking with one rep range on the big exercises as it makes progressions easier.
Bench 2x5-Same thing with the rep range. I'd also put in another set as one might not be taxing enough.
Shoulders 2x6-Overhead press I hope! Same thing with the rep range on these. It's only really with low poundages that it is good to up the reps. I'd also put in at least another set. I also wouldn't bother with a warm up, as these should be fired up from bench.
Core good mornings 2x10-After shoulders.
Abs 2x10-20-Unless you are using huge poundages for abs, it should be ok to up reps before weight. If you are using dumbbells though, the 1kg increments can make it easier. I also wouldn't bother with a warm up on these, as they should have been used a bit throughout the work out.

There's more that could be changed, might not make it work any better though. It's nice and simple the way it is, which is good. I'd personally do bench before squats as I feel squats drain me far more.

Day 2:
Deadlift 1x3 1x2 1x5? It's odd but yes, if it is working well why change. Once you stop adding weight every 1/2 weeks switch on to 2x5, 3x3 or whatever. Also you are ignoring my warm up advice! Three sets is not enough for these, at 330 at least 6-8. Look back and ingrain the IA post in your head. However, the first two "heavy" sets probably act more as warm ups, but still.
***elevated deadlifts 2x5 I would say this would be bad after the conventional deads. I would alternate these every week with conventional's. This also makes you progress longer. And no, not your core.

Hyperextensions/Pullthroughs(for core, preferably not GM) 2x10
Pullup 1x10-No warm up sets.
Row 2x6-No warm up sets, and I'd do two sets if you are doing one pullup set.
Biceps 2x12-No warm up sets.
Grip 2x10?-Don't be too hazy, have purpose.
Abs 2x10-20-No warm up sets.

There, nice and simple. Spes, you do not need all of the warm up sets on the supplementary exercises. Only on your main movement. Warm up for body parts. Warm up for squat/bench/deads only. Your row for example won't need a warm up because you have already done deads. This way you have more time to warm up for deads, which is better. Your abs are worked throughout out the wokrout by stabilizing, so they should already be good to go as well.
Remember and keep things simple, it is all that is needed at these weights. I will make a second post without the writing so it is easier to view. But please read what I have posted in this one as well. As you know the big three should be seeing improvement most weeks, especially your squat the moment. If they aren't seeing good progression, there is plenty that can be done to help them along.

Quagmire

P.s.-Would bend the knees a bit when doing the good mornings. Incorporates more of the posterior chain.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Day 1:
Squat 2x5
Bench 2x5
Shoulders 2x6
Good mornings 2x10
Abs 2x10-20

Day 2:
Deadlift 1x3 1x2 1x5/***elevated deadlifts 2x5
Hyperextensions/Pullthroughs 2x10
Pullup 1x10
Row 2x6
Biceps 2x12
Grip 2x10
Abs 2x10-20

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
grip work doesn't have reps. Its holding a dumbell till my grip gives out

"Pullup 1x10-No warm up sets.
Biceps 2x12-No warm up sets.
Abs 2x10-20-No warm up sets."

Warm up sets are important. Not so much for the biceps but definatly for the abs and super definatly for the pull up. For people who are pulling up their own body weight, maybe not. But when you start adding 30 lbs + body weight, it puts alot of strain on your joints/ligaments. Similiar case to heavy ab work out.

When do you need to warm up? Try it out, then if you main heavy set feels smoother, you need it. Personally I think every move requires some warm up. If it only takes a few minutes and doesn't require too much energy, why not?

If I had to pick I particular rep, I would pick 7. Most of the progress I made in the past has come from 7, so I am more familiar/confortable with it.

I was counting all the sets before my heavy set for the deadlift as warm up sets. So i'll put in 1-2 more warm up sets.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I amen't going to explain my reasoning again.

Fair enough for the grip work.

Doing only one set for the main movement is odd, I've explained warm ups enough, do as you wish.

Quagmire

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can tell that your level of understanding on routines is a notch above mine, but I feel that its important to feel things out and experiment. I've been in this situation before I have been wrong before, but I develop a better understanding/feel when I do things this way.

I am confident in the importance of warming up for every movement although it may not have to take as much time or energy as the big 3. Whenever I try to do my 70 lb pull up with no warm ups, it hurts my eblows and shoulders.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ATG squat: 150x4, 135x5

good mornings: buncha sets getting a feel for it. First time doing em

incline db bench 65x5. 55x5. Switch to flat bench

seated shoulder press: 40x5. 32.5x5.

didn't have time for abs

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Weight 140 lbs. Awesome

deadlifts: 330x3. Not Awesome, time to switch the heavy tripples

pull ups 60x7

hypers

bicep

gripwork

heavy abs

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ATG squat: 150x5, 135x5

flat db press: 60x7. squeeze glutes. squeeze shoulder blades. Keep weight around niple line.

good mornings: do a set of body weight good mornings between each set

shoulder press: 45x5. 42.5x3 then 30x5

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deadlift: 305x3, 320x3, 320x3.
Keep shoulders low and back. Get verticle asap, slide bar up body. Drive legs and pump quads initially. Sqeeze glutes the whole time. Squeeze quads, core, glutes the whole time.

BORs

Pull ups: 55x8

pull throughs: awkward, look up form.

curls

w-abs

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
comming back after some time off and a sickness.

deadlift: 310x3. Make it similar to pull up, one instinctial movement. Before the pull, harden all the right muscles, and explode up. It will be slow at the bottom. Don't worry very much about being straight as bar is scrapping the skins, just pull back by preparing before the lift. When bar clears knees, then its seroius straightin time. Pump quads, squeeze glutes whole time. Pull with shoulders. Aim to explose and go as fast as possible even though the heavy ones will be really slow.

BOR 100

W-pulls, spring shoulder blades together when its time. Keep going faster.
65x7

Last edited:

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
Worked on squat form. Let my knees go a bit past my toes, kept lower back arched better at the bottom, didn't have to lean forward as much. Still some issues with form. Doing them this way is a bit harder.

squat: 140x5 =/. Got up to that weight in increments of 15 lbs.

db flat bench: 70'sx3. 60'sx3.Personal best for weight.

weighted hyperextention: 170x5 for two sets. Personal best.

seated db shoulder press: 45x4. 40x4.

decline weighted abs with plate behind head: 25x10, personal best.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After being without the internet for a few months, it's good to see you're still going at it when I come back. Your squat doesn't seem to have progressed much, but I'm impressed by your DB flat bench. Nice going.

Still don't like your routine ;)

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh BTW. Sweet jesus on your deadlifts. Atta boy. Great progress.